Hason Raja: Mystic Poet (Bengali Film) UK, Bangladesh, India

glorious

sarNie Egg
[SIZE=14pt]I will be sharing information this film including latest updates of the production of this particular film. Hason Raja is directed by British Asian film-maker Ruhul Amin. It’s a co-production of UK, Bangladesh and India. This is a first epic Bengali language film. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]I hope members in this forum (Asianfuse.net) will be sharing their thoughts and participate in discussion about this first epic scale Bengali Film.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]------------------------------------------------------------------[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Now in development at Galaxy Films, 'Hason Raja' is a major feature based on the life and music of Dewan Hason Raja Choudhury (1855-1926). Hason Raja is renowned as one of the great mystic poets and folksinger of Bangladesh.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]The poet's life was full of drama, colour and romance. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]He was a man of many contradictions and mysteries. His ancestors were Hindu Kahatriyas who migrated from Ayoudhya to Bengal in the 16th century. They became rulers of a rural kingdom and owners of much property in Sylhet and Dhaka (Bangladesh). [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]His great-grandfather converted to Islam and the family intermarried with aristocratic Muslims creating a new dynasty.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Tall and handsome, Hason was a glamorous figure. He inherited the property at an early age and at first indulged himself in every way: wearing gorgeous clothes: Seducing women; breeding horses and hawks; hiring musicians and dancing girls.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]In his later life he turned away from riches, wore the simplest clothes and devoted himself to the pursuit of the Divine in every from. Leaving worldly responsibilities he became a wondering Sufi, singing of his love and longing. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]His songs and his mysticism are simple and direct, burning with passion and intensity. Drawing on Hindu, Sufi and Buddhist philosophies and images he fills his songs with powerful longing for spiritual union. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]This open-ness gives his work a very special meaning for today, with harmony so threatened by communal divisions. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Often he sings as a woman, longing for her lover - a metaphor for his unquenchable thirst for the divine.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]"I've died from the scorching fire of love and can't tolerate more[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]Whatever direction I look in I see only my Beloved[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]You are me, I am You. I've given up all fear[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]Hason Raja dances madly"[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]Translatedby. Eward Yazijian 1999[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Rabindranath Tagore frequently acknowledged his debt to Hason Raja. This 'village poet' inspired the novel laureate's songs of union with the Divine and his lyrical celebration of the Bengali countryside. Like Tagore, Hason has left an enduring legacy. His simple but exquisite songs of love and longing are known and cherished wherever Bangla is spoken.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]'Hason Raja' will be short on location in Bangladesh. The stunning countryside and powerful rivers, colourful villages and lively rural people will be important elements in this evocation of the lost tranquillity of 'golden Bengal'.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Director Ruhul Amin is well respected in the UK and Bangladesh for his documentary and feature work, including 'A Kind of English, New-East Enders and Movie-Walla. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]A Kind of English, New-East Enders and Movie-Walla which was commissioned in the UK by Channel 4 Television, premiered at the London Film Festival and enjoyed critical acclaimed at festivals around the world.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Mithun Chakraborty ( Bollywood Super Star) is a major figure in the commercial world of Bollywood cinema and the alternative Indian art-house scene. As a Bengali, he too brings his own personal passion and commitment to this project, as well as a lifetime's professional experience as a lead actor.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Raima Sen: A very beautiful Bollywood actress. Her works has been appreciated around the world. ShePlays leading lady in the film. She play the role of Dilaram.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Ruhul Amin:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Ruhul Amin is known for creating sensitive, understated, poetic films centred around life in the Bengali community of East London. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]A KING OF ENGLISH (1986) explores the myriad of complex relationships which develop within a family due to frustrations causes by unemployment, displacement and a longing or the homeland seen through the eyes of a nine-year old boy. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]His film Rhythms; it is a lyrical film about an old man, a newly arrived bride and a young boy who are bound together in their common appreciation of traditional Bengali music. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]The music offers a temporary respite and release from their loneliness and isolation. Ruhul’s talent is in his manipulation of cinematic language – the fusion of rich, lingering images with the intensity with the intensity of silence.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]Often little is said but within “everything else”, he manages to evoke a sense of the passion which burns beneath the despair of living in this “cold climate”. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]His work has been likened to the early films of De Sica and Satyajit Ray. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Dr Sarita Malik (PhD)- interviews Ruhul Amin for BLACK FILM BULLETIN [/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]British film institute magazine. Autumn 1994 [/SIZE]