HELP!! Hard Drive Trouble

Karen

Donghae and Siwon
when i plug in my external hard drive nothing pops up. When i went to go click on my computer to see if my hard drive was there and it wasn't. Is there something wrong with it? or is it broken?

it's freaken making a noise like it's broken or something!!

kitkat

sarNie Elites
1) turn off your comp
2) turn off your drives
3) unplug all
4) wait for a while
5) re-plug all
6) turn on your drives
7) turn on your comp
8) click 'My Computer'

Few times, I have that problem, too so that method works for me. :)

Karen

Donghae and Siwon
yep i tried all of them but when i plug in my flash drive it works. it doesn't work when i plug in my external hard drive. >_<

kitkat: Ok i'll try that way. hopefullly it'll work.

darvil

sarNie Adult
Is it a clicking noise?

Talking about external.. I had a recent one that just didn't power up.. turns out something went wrong inside the electronics of the enclosure.. I pulled it out of the enclosure and plug it stright to my pc and it was fine.

Karen

Donghae and Siwon
yesterday it was a loud clicking noise but today i only heard one click and that's about it. Sigh* I plug it into my computer and my laptop. it still doesn't work. I have a Western Digital hard drive. i guess i'm bad luck with these hard drive. this is like my second one i have to go through.

I have my movies and stuff on there too. >_<

mongstaness

sarNie Adult
OMG!!! i have the same problem! my external is a maxtor and it's making a really loud spinning noise when i plug it into my laptop. everything i love is in that external! i dont want to lose ne of it.

kitkat

sarNie Elites
^lol, I was about to say that, too. :p Although I never have any 'bad' problems with my Maxtors even I planned to get some more. :lol:

Natsume

sarNie Adult
Have you tried changing the USB cable?

I had the same problem with my old external drive. But when I switched its cable with the one of my new WD drive, it was working fine.

Pure Azn

sarNie Hatchling
usually when you get the clicking noise, its basically means your heads are damaged or crashed, you can't fix it yourself because it requires a clean environment, opening your harddrive and exposing the platter to a spec of dust would render your harddrive useless. So yea the drive is pretty much dead, unless you can get someone to recover its data, my cousin had a WD external and i noticed that it uses only 1 plug o_O, my classic freeagent external uses 2 cables one says (power+data, and Power), im guessing its to prevent harddrive failure cuz i abused that hard drive so badly lol, i leave it on plugged into my computer for like 3 yrs straight now with the light on lol, sometimes i accidently drop it a few times, but never had any problems with it since i bought it the first day.