HELP ME PLEASE! How To...

rukD2B

Bai Yang [♥] Fong T. Xiong
can someone teach me how to do a sytem reboot or something? i dont kno how to do it..my bro knows how but i dont...system reboot isnt the name of the function..but like...you kno how you like restore your comp back to its beginning state when you first bought it...like how you delete the memory or sumthin...i really got to do that to my comp...i've backed up all my files and all but i really need to do this...someone..please teach me...i want to cure my comp...please?

darvil

sarNie Adult
rukD2B said:
can someone teach me how to do a sytem reboot or something? i dont kno how to do it..my bro knows how but i dont...system reboot isnt the name of the function..but like...you kno how you like restore your comp back to its beginning state when you first bought it...like how you delete the memory or sumthin...i really got to do that to my comp...i've backed up all my files and all but i really need to do this...someone..please teach me...i want to cure my comp...please?
[post="132810"][/post]​
Its called formatting your PC.

Why don't you ask your brother to help you? Its actually very easy but very daunting if you're new to the process.

If you want to do it yourself, then do you have another PC in the house that you can use to talk to us while you're doing it?

I can help you this evening if you want. like 8:30 pm pacific. But you MUST come into the chat and we can help you there.

Just explaning how to do it won't be enough. Its very easy but like I said someone will need to point you to the right direction.

BTW you should look thru your system CDs that came with the computer and tell us what you got.

rukD2B

i could get on my bro's comp...but also...i dont kno about the cds..i didnt really get much..i mean..i got cds for my printer..but thats pretty much it..can you get on maybe tomorrow or so? i cant get on today...

darvil

sarNie Adult
rukD2B said:
i could get on my bro's comp...but also...i dont kno about the cds..i didnt really get much..i mean..i got cds for my printer..but thats pretty much it..can you get on maybe tomorrow or so? i cant get on today...
[post="132832"][/post]​
Yes I can do that but you have a bigger problem. Are you sure you don't have any "Recovery" cd? Thats what it should be called.

Is your PC a brand name like Dell, Gateway, etc..?

If all goes bad and you really need to format then we will have to resort to illegal measures but I don't know.

rukD2B

illegal measures? wats that going to mean? i mean i have a 2006 version of HP...its the "MP Media Center PC"....my bro said that it came with a self built in thing where it could recover back to its beginning state..but i've read through the manuals and gone through the original programs about my comp...it keeps saying i dont have any discs...and i could make the recovery discs but then when i tried that..it said that it was unable to do so..i guess i'll have to buy them then?

darvil

sarNie Adult
all right try this. Some brand name pcs does this.

Open your my computer and see your harddrive.

Do you have C: and a D: HD? And I'm not talking about the cdrom ok.

If you have another HD (D:) Take a look at its size. Is it pretty small? And also look inside it. Tell me what you see. It'll be nice if you can take a screen shot.

rukD2B

do you mean the C: and D:? i have both..yeah screen shots heres the MY COMPUTER folder..

darvil

sarNie Adult
excellent.

Yes it says "Recovery" on Drive D: you see that? Thats probably where your recovery files are at.

I want you to click inside that and take a screenshot.

darvil

sarNie Adult
can you right click on the D drive and then go to properties?

Then whatever it shows, take a screenshot of that.

darvil

sarNie Adult
I saw you came in chat then left.

Its probably better if we do this thru chat. Say something when you come in so I know you're talking.

darvil

sarNie Adult
What the hell. Its 8 gigs of empty space.

In this case, I will have to upload something for you to use although I don't like doing it.

Can you ask your brother if he has any CDs? He mentioned that you could do it from your PC. I don't know what he's talking about. Maybe he knows something I don't. Ask him.

rukD2B

well i asked my bro a little while ago and well...he said that its called something else..not re-formatting your comp but something else..i forgot, it starts w/ a "P"...he said to do that you have to have this install disk...i'll ask him..but his comp edition is different from mine..my comp is the 2006 edition of HP and his is the 2000 edition of HP...will it matter? what does the 8 gigs mean? i'll try to ask him again soon.

darvil

sarNie Adult
rukD2B said:
well i asked my bro a little while ago and well...he said that its called something else..not re-formatting your comp but something else..i forgot, it starts w/ a "P"...he said to do that you have to have this install disk...i'll ask him..but his comp edition is different from mine..my comp is the 2006 edition of HP and his is the 2000 edition of HP...will it matter? what does the 8 gigs mean? i'll try to ask him again soon.
[post="133377"][/post]​
I have no idea what "P" is. If its not reformatting then I don't know what you're trying to do.

You should write it down so you won't forget. We're just going back and forth in here.

I also don't know what you mean by 2006 edition. Whats the computer model name? 2006 isn't enough info.

Don't worry about the 8 gig. What I mean is that there is nothing on that harddrive. There is nothing in there though.

rukD2B

is that bad if theres nothing there? b/c thats starting to worry me...but the thing with the 2006 edition...i'm thinking it dont have much to do with this..i'm gonna try and remember next time i ask my bro b/c he's confusing me too...i think i want to start w/ the re-formatting thing first then...the comp model name..or number?

darvil

sarNie Adult
rukD2B said:
is that bad if theres nothing there? b/c thats starting to worry me...but the thing with the 2006 edition...i'm thinking it dont have much to do with this..i'm gonna try and remember next time i ask my bro b/c he's confusing me too...i think i want to start w/ the re-formatting thing first then...the comp model name..or number?
[post="133382"][/post]​
What you need to do is ask him what he wants you to do. Because you're telling me that you shouldn't be formatting. But from what you explained it is formatting so I'm very confused.

Well if I know your computer model I can look it up on HP website and see whats up with it. No its not important but the fact is that HP should have given you CDs. Your PC model and everything should be printed or ON the front of your PC case. It should be right in the front.

Now can you explain to me why your brother isn't helping you? He probably would have to spent only about 15 minutes.

Have you looked thru the boxes that came with the PC. You are absolutely sure you went thru everything and checked all your CDs?

noungning

Heartless
um i have an HP that i just bought... but there are files in the D: the recovery files... something must have happened and wiped that out. I just bought this computer a few weeks ago and it has those files in there. but the thing about not having CDs - i.e. recovery cds, this is correct... HPs don't include recovery cds anymore so if your computer still boots ... you can try to make the recovery cd on your computer. you said you can't make the recovery cd, can you capture the error because i don't know what is wrong. you should be able to burn those recovery cds. if worse comes to worse, you can go onto the HP website and order them... they're lik a set of 10 disc and costs about $20... but u can all reformat your whole system and reinstall windows, but since you don't have any discs from them, you're going to have to either purchase those programs or download them... but it's going to cost u. i'd say 1. burn those recovery cds, or 2. order them off the HP website.

---------edit----------

"P" word, the only thing i can think of is Partition which isn't needed at this stage?

darvil

sarNie Adult
noungning said:
um i have an HP that i just bought... but there are files in the D: the recovery files... something must have happened and wiped that out. I just bought this computer a few weeks ago and it has those files in there. but the thing about not having CDs - i.e. recovery cds, this is correct... HPs don't include recovery cds anymore so if your computer still boots ... you can try to make the recovery cd on your computer. you said you can't make the recovery cd, can you capture the error because i don't know what is wrong. you should be able to burn those recovery cds. if worse comes to worse, you can go onto the HP website and order them... they're lik a set of 10 disc and costs about $20... but u can all reformat your whole system and reinstall windows, but since you don't have any discs from them, you're going to have to either purchase those programs or download them... but it's going to cost u. i'd say 1. burn those recovery cds, or 2. order them off the HP website.

---------edit----------

"P" word, the only thing i can think of is Partition which isn't needed at this stage?
[post="133397"][/post]​
Noung Ning what do you mean create a recovery cd? How is she suppose to do that when her Recovery Drive is totally empty?

I suppose I could upload an ISO for her but the thing is that her HP pc might come with certain "stuff" that won't be on the ISO.

Yea I don't think he means Partitioning. That would be pointless to do in this case.

rukD2B

yeah the Partitioning thing! thats what my bro said to me...he said thats the best way to get rid of viruses and stuff...b/c it like totally wipes it out..but noungning...on wat you've said about making the recovery cd...i couldnt make them...the program said that its empty or sumthing and I would have to buy them. I guess thats wat i do? I've been talking to my sis about getting that too...but then i'm not sure so i'm asking...i think i have the same version of comp that noungning does too... the HP M7260N right? cause thats my version...or model #...why do you say taht Partitioning is useless in this case?