HIFO NETWORK - Hmong International Filmaker

nancyvang

sarNie Adult
I'm not sure if anyone posted this yet. But I'm surprised there's actually socialite meetings for Hmong director/producer/actors.

HIFO NETWORK
Hmong International Filmaker

Link: http://www.hifonetwork.com/

You can see photos of directors/actors here:
http://www.hifonetwork.com/photo

Split Horn Production

ayang874

sarNie Hatchling
I'm not sure if anyone posted this yet. But I'm surprised there's actually socialite meetings for Hmong director/producer/actors.

HIFO NETWORK
Hmong International Filmaker

Link: http://www.hifonetwork.com/

You can see photos of directors/actors here:
http://www.hifonetwork.com/photo
nancy, since you have a fanfic, that you want a producer to make into a movie, you should contact these Hmong filmmakers, perhaps in their discussion area or contact them via their emails or youtube channels. Some I guess go overseas to shoot while some shoot here in the states. most of these filmmakers are guys and most are into action movies.

since they're guys i don't really think they understand the sense or appeal of emotional dramas that us ladies thou. I think most of the newer generations ones like Mong Vang, Bryan Vue, Kak Lee, Kang Vang have gone to film school and like to make films more Mekas style. I don't know if they'll fund yours and others' original scripts but I'm sure they'll be interested. IMO, these filmmakers don't really have ideas as interesting as most viewers thou. If I had a story I would just learn filmmaking on my own and go out to make my own movie.

nancyvang

sarNie Adult
nancy, since you have a fanfic, that you want a producer to make into a movie, you should contact these Hmong filmmakers, perhaps in their discussion area or contact them via their emails or youtube channels. Some I guess go overseas to shoot while some shoot here in the states. most of these filmmakers are guys and most are into action movies.

since they're guys i don't really think they understand the sense or appeal of emotional dramas that us ladies thou. I think most of the newer generations ones like Mong Vang, Bryan Vue, Kak Lee, Kang Vang have gone to film school and like to make films more Mekas style. I don't know if they'll fund yours and others' original scripts but I'm sure they'll be interested. IMO, these filmmakers don't really have ideas as interesting as most viewers thou. If I had a story I would just learn filmmaking on my own and go out to make my own movie.
A Hmong producer had said before it's not a career, it's just a hobby. Hearing that it has already discourage me. I always wanted to be a script/story writer. But most producer seek the most inexpensive way, which is making their movie a one men job. Especially like you said most of the film makers are guys, they like to avoid showing affection and love between lovers as much as possible, and focus on the thrill of action/violence.

Besides that they like to stay on the safe side. They know that the majority of Hmong people are familiar with orphan stories, you're poor I'm rich, poj caiv nyab (mother in law not liking the daughter in law) stories, so they repeat these. And no matter how many times they do, people still support them. Taking my story in is a risk of loosing profit, so no doubt that it'll ever happen.

I wish I can learn film-making, even though I'm single and have no kid, I just don't have time to go back to college now.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just added "Split Horn Production" Their base in Clovis, California. I think the majority of their movie and movie in progress are filmed in California. They don't go abroad for moving making.

pink_juliet_kashie

sarNie Oldmaid
A Hmong producer had said before it's not a career, it's just a hobby. Hearing that it has already discourage me. I always wanted to be a script/story writer. But most producer seek the most inexpensive way, which is making their movie a one men job. Especially like you said most of the film makers are guys, they like to avoid showing affection and love between lovers as much as possible, and focus on the thrill of action/violence.

Besides that they like to stay on the safe side. They know that the majority of Hmong people are familiar with orphan stories, you're poor I'm rich, poj caiv nyab (mother in law not liking the daughter in law) stories, so they repeat these. And no matter how many times they do, people still support them. Taking my story in is a risk of loosing profit, so no doubt that it'll ever happen.

I wish I can learn film-making, even though I'm single and have no kid, I just don't have time to go back to college now.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just added "Split Horn Production" Their base in Clovis, California. I think the majority of their movie and movie in progress are filmed in California. They don't go abroad for moving making.
Don't be discourage Nancy...I'm not sure who you spoke with but some directors/ movie-makers are making a career out of this, its not only a hobby. For ex. I believe the owners of Ja Iab doesn't do anything outside of their movies and albums. My org. and I have worked w/ HIFO on many occasions...they are not the most modern people I've ever met but they have good intentions, good ideas and really want to take the Hmong Film Making Industry to the next level: as you say from hobby to career. I think you just need to do more research and decide on which directors you see is most like you, ask for advice and guidance. For example, I watched the behind the scenes to "Journey to the Fallen Skies"...the crew & workers seem really modern in the way they work and operate. Check them out. Many directors are male, but I think that should be something that propels you not hold you back. What is one of the female directors name...hmm...Herlinda...there we go she's produced/directed many successful movies.

Here are some of my suggestions. I think the Hmong film industry is still very small. Profits are not as good as they've been or should be so you have to really think about whether you want to risk losing money/time/sleep/face? LoL...but just remember the first time is always a learning process and everything comes with risks. But the 2nd/3rd time around thing will be much easier. True, you can't do it alone. I'm not sure where you are, but here in Fresno I know they've started an Actors/Actresses Organization. Maybe you can approach an acting base organization in you community. If not, start your own. Look for Grants / Scholarships to support your film. I think the org. is a good route for you, you will have a group of people to help you out and its easier to find profit/sponsors/ fund raise. You'll also need people to help you Publicize your work/ your cause. LoL...I've said alot but if you ever decide for a "GO" on this..contact me, i'm more than happy to assist you in any way possible.

nancyvang

sarNie Adult
Thanks, pink_juliet_kashie. I'll take your words into consideration. It really uplifted my insight on this matter.

Journey to the Fallen Skies director I think I've seen his work before. He has the right idea for JTTFS but when putting it into film everything just jumps and it's pretty messy. Probably just need to put the ideas onto a concrete storyboard before hand so that it can go smoothly.

I'm a fan of Herlinda Her. She's an amazing person, I like her for her stories when she and her husband were still operating Herr's Video Production together. I also admire SEG (Scrad Entertainment Group) director. "3 Lub Toob Npab (The Three Bracelet) wasn't a big success, but the only factor that I think effected it was that she didn't have the right equipments, if she did can go far as a female director/producer.