Hmong Clan Ways...

kulyia

RUK
that idunno..but my inlaws cant eat liver..lol..my family theres somthing about papaya and rice not being mixed..but we can..ithink..lol

pink_juliet_kashie

sarNie Oldmaid
i'm not saying its true but from what i've heard and learned...

Vang's w/ sour fruits

Watermelons i tink are okay..cuz they're not consider "sour"

Once a long time ago this group of Hmong villiagers...went to farm together..blah blah..there was this one guy who didn't have anything to
eat at all except his rice and some sour fruit (mangos...can't remember)...then some lady (a vang probably) who was also there...stole and ate his fruit and so
he didn't have anything to eat...out of anger (and exaggeration might i add) he curse all the Vangs..so now they can't eat any fruits with
rice (who would too??)

Yangs and livers/heart

Long ago there was this guy he was mentally challenged..and this family of Yangs was doing jingle bells...they were boiling pig..and was
ready to take the heart to "ua dab".."laig dag" something like tat and wen they went to try to scoop out their pig's heart from the pot
they couldn't find it...so since the mentally challenged guy was sitting by the pot the whole time watching..they accused him of eating the
heart and killed him..boil HIS heart and used it instead....but at the end of the day wen they took the pot to go washed..they discovered that
the pig's heart was actually stuck to the bottom of the pot...and so the Aunt of the guy they killed was beyond angry and cursed all the Yang
guys becuz they were the who killed the mentally challenged guy

Can't enter the in-law's bedroom

tis one is quite quicky..hmm...way back then..i dunno if it was the father in law or the daughter in law...but one of them climb onto the others bed
and did the "dirty" with them so now it's forbidden

pink_juliet_kashie

sarNie Oldmaid
but i agree sometimes it just depends on ur clan

i'm a Thao and only our groupie of Thaos can't married Vue girls i tink
and we can't marrie Khangs either...cuz Thao & Khang are basically the same

Vue Girl storie

LONG AGO (alwaise back then) a Vue gal married a Thao guy and they had a reallie good life. They were
rich, lived in a big house..had wonderful kids and so the girl's brother (dab laug) came to visit them one
day. He stayed for a long time and wen he decided to go back home he asked for his sister to pack him
lunch (ib pov su) cuz back then the live far part..and had to travel on foot only so it takes them a long time
to get from place to place and need to take meals...since the girl has now grown rich and STINGY...she instead
packed him noting but FECES yes pooopiees..so the brother went on his way and when he finally grown to tired
and hungry to continue he opened his lunch and discover that it was only feces..and cried and cried and asked
why his sister (vue) and husband (thao) could do such a ting to him..and so he cursed both Vue girls and Thao guys...
tat if a Thao guy ever marries a Vue girl they'll have a rich life with no children and be miserable or have a poor
life with too many kids to feed

The thao and khang story is quite lengthy so i'll only tell if anyone ask

But I heard these CURSES can be reversed if someone dies and is willing to carry the blame/cursed put on his/her
whole clan with them to the other side...i think they call it "Cem tus tuag"...i tink my Vang cousins did this

nkaujhmooblauj

sarNie Adult
my mom said that Lors/Los/Laos cannot marry Changs and Khangs
because there is a story that way back in time.. lol.. yes. it's always way back in time..
3 brothers were sold to those last names
therefore.. it is to avoid any blood ties
but come on.. get real now..
that is like.. 1 in a million chances. lol
and hmong people think they're all related anyway

dorky_vang

sarNie Adult
What do ya mean by what kind of moua are u or vang are u.??

anyway. i know damn.. i heard hmong vang n vues are like family?
i duno?

anyway anymore? im interested to read more hehe

i dont think this have to do with this topic but why cant we eat peeper when there doin a wedding im j.w?

mokka

sarNie Adult
Talking about moua and vang:

I don't know if it's for all vangs or not, but I know my parents/grandparents told me and my siblings to avoid all Moua at all cause... I'm not sure of the story behind it yet... but all they said was not to date Moua...

me094

sarNie Egg
but i agree sometimes it just depends on ur clan

i'm a Thao and only our groupie of Thaos can't married Vue girls i tink
and we can't marrie Khangs either...cuz Thao & Khang are basically the same

Vue Girl storie

LONG AGO (alwaise back then) a Vue gal married a Thao guy and they had a reallie good life. They were
rich, lived in a big house..had wonderful kids and so the girl's brother (dab laug) came to visit them one
day. He stayed for a long time and wen he decided to go back home he asked for his sister to pack him
lunch (ib pov su) cuz back then the live far part..and had to travel on foot only so it takes them a long time
to get from place to place and need to take meals...since the girl has now grown rich and STINGY...she instead
packed him noting but FECES yes pooopiees..so the brother went on his way and when he finally grown to tired
and hungry to continue he opened his lunch and discover that it was only feces..and cried and cried and asked
why his sister (vue) and husband (thao) could do such a ting to him..and so he cursed both Vue girls and Thao guys...
tat if a Thao guy ever marries a Vue girl they'll have a rich life with no children and be miserable or have a poor
life with too many kids to feed
Ok... that's the one my mom told me a couple weeks ago... I just couldn't remember the two last names... But I think she said our Thao cousins in are among those clans who can't married Vue girls...

About the Moua and Vang marriage. It's just your clan I believe but i would have to get back to you about that. My sister is married to a Moua but then again she's a thao and not a vang... but my cousin is dating my brother-in-law's younger sister, and my cousin is a Vang and she's a Moua... Both family are very improving of the relationship.

I should ask about the pepper and wedding restriction... I'll get back to you about that... Also you are not suppose to eat veggies at Funerals... but here in the US they don't really follow that anymore...

pink_juliet_kashie

sarNie Oldmaid
I should ask about the pepper and wedding restriction... I'll get back to you about that... Also you are not suppose to eat veggies at Funerals... but here in the US they don't really follow that anymore...

What do ya mean by what kind of moua are u or vang are u.??

i dont think this have to do with this topic but why cant we eat peeper when there doin a wedding im j.w?
i dunno what the other girls mean..but for me when they ask what kind of Thao are you
our Thaos are the Hmoob Thoj "Tswm Tsav"...it's based on how ur family conducts jingle
bells / funerals etc...

You can't eat Pepper at weddings because supposly if you do...the marriage couple's life is going
to be like pepper.....miserable..heated...lotx of arguing...

Fearless

sarNie Adult
i'm not saying its true but from what i've heard and learned...

Vang's w/ sour fruits

Watermelons i tink are okay..cuz they're not consider "sour"

Once a long time ago this group of Hmong villiagers...went to farm together..blah blah..there was this one guy who didn't have anything to
eat at all except his rice and some sour fruit (mangos...can't remember)...then some lady (a vang probably) who was also there...stole and ate his fruit and so
he didn't have anything to eat...out of anger (and exaggeration might i add) he curse all the Vangs..so now they can't eat any fruits with
rice (who would too??)

Yangs and livers/heart

Long ago there was this guy he was mentally challenged..and this family of Yangs was doing jingle bells...they were boiling pig..and was
ready to take the heart to "ua dab".."laig dag" something like tat and wen they went to try to scoop out their pig's heart from the pot
they couldn't find it...so since the mentally challenged guy was sitting by the pot the whole time watching..they accused him of eating the
heart and killed him..boil HIS heart and used it instead....but at the end of the day wen they took the pot to go washed..they discovered that
the pig's heart was actually stuck to the bottom of the pot...and so the Aunt of the guy they killed was beyond angry and cursed all the Yang
guys becuz they were the who killed the mentally challenged guy

Can't enter the in-law's bedroom

tis one is quite quicky..hmm...way back then..i dunno if it was the father in law or the daughter in law...but one of them climb onto the others bed
and did the "dirty" with them so now it's forbidden

About the vangs and fruit, lol... oh no wonder.. My sister is married to a vang... and she always has this big bowl of fruits on the kitchen table but every time I eat on the table she would tell me to move the bow of fruits to somewhere else. I would ask her why and she would just tell me that it's against their clans rules.

karolinav89

sarNie Egg
lol...about the vang friut thing...lol..i'm a vang and i ask my parent my dad say back then the old people make a big deal out of it so they start makin stuff up...but my parent say they dnt care about it cause it's not the old days animore....

there is a group of vang(hmoob vaj hmoob dud) sumthing like that ...they have a curse on them that every year there would be a famile in that clans that the parents will kill each other if not the parents the the kids n parents..vice versa..they have to go .. beg/ask maum paud dag laag tuag foom lub ....<srrry i suk at writing hmong but i could read it good...lol

kulyia

RUK
iheard that you cant do peper at weddings?or eat ZEO?..green lettice..lol..and why cant u trip at funerals?..lol

nkaujhmooblauj

sarNie Adult
iheard that you cant do peper at weddings?or eat ZEO?..green lettice..lol..and why cant u trip at funerals?..lol
we had pepper at my sister's wedding when she got married...

i think it's bad luck for the bride and groom to drop a plate/bowl during their wedding

Raindrops

sarNie Hatchling
the supersition with falling/tripping at furnerals is that your spirit will end up going to the afterworld with the spirit of the decease....i think.

As for the not marrying Vue girls...i think that supersition exisits for most clans, some clans are just not as strict about it as others. I'm from the Xiong Clan and my father told me that it's the same story that Pink_Juliet spoke of. My dad did not mention it being a restriction for Thaos, because he did not mention another last name except the Vue. But the belief is that because her brother curse all Vue girls, if a Vue girl is married and their life is persperous and they are rich, then they will not have any children. If they have children then they will be poor, and if they have money and children then one of the spouse(husband and or wife...does not matter) will live a short live.

My Uncle who is a Vang married my aunt who is a Vue and they are well off but do not have any children, one of my great-uncles a Xiong married a Vue and they had kids and had money, but his wife died quiet young. But I say it's just all supersitions. My Dad warn all of my siblings and myself to stay away from dating Vues because, but they are not extremely strick about it. My dad says he does not want my sisters and my to dates/marry Vues because then our daughters might end up being cursed. My dad was not too happy when my older sister married my brother-in-law a Vue. But they don't have any daughters...just to sons, and my dad has since not made a big deal about it.

About the not eating vegis at funerals, my dad jokes about how it was that back in the old country (Laos, etc) people were really poor and had to eat Vegis all the time and so they just made-up a stupid rule that only meat can be eaten during furnerals so that they can eat lots of meat...LOL. I'm not really sure what that supersition is about.

dorky_vang

sarNie Adult
Talking about moua and vang:

I don't know if it's for all vangs or not, but I know my parents/grandparents told me and my siblings to avoid all Moua at all cause... I'm not sure of the story behind it yet... but all they said was not to date Moua...
My Momtold me the same thing not to date a moua.
Not Trying To say Anything Mean Bu My Mom Say Hmoob Moua Guys Are Mean When after you marry them.
she says they will hit you more thing ever n stuff i duno cuz like i see many poeple do that right?

i dunno what the other girls mean..but for me when they ask what kind of Thao are you
our Thaos are the Hmoob Thoj "Tswm Tsav"...it's based on how ur family conducts jingle
bells / funerals etc...

You can't eat Pepper at weddings because supposly if you do...the marriage couple's life is going
to be like pepper.....miserable..heated...lotx of arguing...

Ohh im still a bit confuse lol.. about the hmoob thinging name.
anyway oh that why.. lol..about the peeper.. thank

penguin101

sarNie Egg
Hmm... lol... Ima Moua and I have 3 brothers... One is married to a Thao, one is married to a Vang, and the other one is TOO young...
Growing up, I have never see anyone from MY FAMILY hit their wives. Umm... My grandpa was the type that was very quiet, and gets annoyed by my grandma and only speaks when he is furious... He's REALLY long temper... that makes my grandma short... My grandma was a THAO...
My uncle was long temper too... his wife was a THAO...
My dad... lol... he right in the middle... He's short and long temper... My dad and mom fought many times over the years because my mom somehow enjoys pissing off my dad. So their fights are usually over dumb things... My mom is a VANG...
My aunt is married to a LEE... They are happy, but my aunt is just like my dad... She's JUST LIKE MY DAD... lol...
My other aunt, who is married to a VANG, she's like my uncle... Very quiet and lets other control her...
*sigh* I notice a pattern here... Looks like... OUR FAMILY is only married to mainly Thao's and Vangs... haha... And one LEE...

So just curious to know... What so bad about marrying into the MOUA CLAN... Or is it just SUM OF THE MOUA clans... How many are there anyways... Because like I mentioned earlier... when I meet old people and they ask me who, and what, and etc... then afterwards they would tell me... "Oh... I know your dad, uncle, and grandpa... Your grandpa has 3 other brothers and etc... Any of our son marry from this family is good... We would love to have one of your clan's girls marry our sons... blah blah blah..." lol... MAYBE BECAUSE IMA A GIRL... BUTTA WAIT... WHEN MY BROTHERS MARRIED THEIR WIVES, THE OLD PEOPLE SAID THE SAME THING TOO... *sigh*
I guess I probly ask my dad or some other clans about this Moua thingy... Its funny because all my life... I have never heard anything back about OUR Moua clan... I am not sure about the other MOUA clans... haha...
As for the other clans that I read from previous... Yeah I heard alot about them... Now... Ima curious to know more...

Okay... I am so going to go and meet up with my Lee friend's mom... She very into these... I am SO CURIOUS NOW... haha... You all got my mind thinking now... keke... I share others if I know something else... haha...

THO... I hear from first hand that if you marry a Lor chick, they have furious mouth... I guess they like to bicker... all 4 of my aunts are Lor and Lo and they bicker with my uncles alot... Related by clan too... lol... haha...

Hey Penguin*303... I wonder who's ur gramp! Are we from the same clan? Just curious... Because my gramp has 3 brothers too... Sadly... Out of the 4, only one left... Ima from the KAOCHERPAO clan... From what I know... There are 3 clans... One is the KAOCHERPAO, second one is CHERKAO (??) and the last one... I dont recall them having a middle name... But I carry both my clan name and my gramp's name. So my name is... Yingna Song Kaocherpao Moua... lol... Silly as it may same... YES, its really long too... So what clan are u from? Jus curious to know... :p

Also in our family... they all marry Lees, Vangs, and Thaos 2... But when it comes down to MY FAMILY... that's totally different... We are MULTICULTURED... lol... Sweet...

kulyia

RUK
oh, interesting..thanx for the info..i dont get it that part with marrying vue girls..do u have to be a vang boy not to marry a vue girl? and wat if ur a vang girl marrying a vue boy?

&srry, out of topic but..

lets watch, and talk..=]...cant wait to talk to uguys on thursday folks=]

Watch Tyra Banks on Thursday this coming Thursday!..its about teen pregnancie..lol..watch it and lets talk about it okay..lol

on the Western Discusion

macli

sarNie Hatchling
The face down spoon thing I remember had to do with spirits. Grandparents told me about it back when I was 5-9, that's more than 15 yrs ago. All I remeber is that it has to do with some kind of spirit or superstition type of thing.

pink_juliet_kashie

sarNie Oldmaid
the supersition with falling/tripping at furnerals is that your spirit will end up going to the afterworld with the spirit of the decease....i think.

As for the not marrying Vue girls...i think that supersition exisits for most clans, some clans are just not as strict about it as others. I'm from the Xiong Clan and my father told me that it's the same story that Pink_Juliet spoke of. My dad did not mention it being a restriction for Thaos, because he did not mention another last name except the Vue. But the belief is that because her brother curse all Vue girls, if a Vue girl is married and their life is persperous and they are rich, then they will not have any children. If they have children then they will be poor, and if they have money and children then one of the spouse(husband and or wife...does not matter) will live a short live.

My Uncle who is a Vang married my aunt who is a Vue and they are well off but do not have any children, one of my great-uncles a Xiong married a Vue and they had kids and had money, but his wife died quiet young. But I say it's just all supersitions. My Dad warn all of my siblings and myself to stay away from dating Vues because, but they are not extremely strick about it. My dad says he does not want my sisters and my to dates/marry Vues because then our daughters might end up being cursed. My dad was not too happy when my older sister married my brother-in-law a Vue. But they don't have any daughters...just to sons, and my dad has since not made a big deal about it.

About the not eating vegis at funerals, my dad jokes about how it was that back in the old country (Laos, etc) people were really poor and had to eat Vegis all the time and so they just made-up a stupid rule that only meat can be eaten during furnerals so that they can eat lots of meat...LOL. I'm not really sure what that supersition is about.
lol is it all Vue girls...wah tat's kinda mean...anyways i dunno maybe the ver. i heard was from my family so they juz changed the guy to a Thao our boys won't even tink of it...

wow...interesting..i dunno in a way i do believe and and in a way i don't..but i surely don't want to try it out..or challenge it

i do have a real account of the whole Vue & Thao ting too

my grandpa's bro. who i also call grandpa..he's a Thao and married a vue girl (his first out of 3 wives..) a lot of our relatives
forbid him to but he did anyways...and tis grandpa was prettie well off wen he got married...rich...eat meat like once a week lol
but each time he had tose kid..they'll turn 1 or 2..juz wen the baby are very cute and
he gets reallie attach to them and then they would die...he then had i tink 3 or 4 kids..and it alwaise happens...it almost made
my grandpa go crazie..so my real grandpa had to give tis grandpa one of my uncles as a kid to keep him sane for a while..then tat
grandpa remarried and it neva happened again with the kids...but when he had kids with his other wife..all happie..his first wife (vue)
passed away...

and my father juz recently married a 2nd wife ( i noe piti me girls )..and she happens to also be a Vue....OMFG! my grandpa was begging
my dad not to marrie her afraid history would repeat itself...anyways they've been married for hmm...4 or 5 years now...no kids... <_< hmmm...
tis stuff is quite interesting...

pink_juliet_kashie

sarNie Oldmaid
Ohh im still a bit confuse lol.. about the hmoob thinging name.
lol ur a vang..just go ask ur parent what kind of vang you guys are
say "Niam / txiv peb yog cov hmoob vaj dabtsis nab?"

then ask where tat name might have come from...these names are
so u'll know which vangs or watever last name is from the same clan
as ur family

The face down spoon thing I remember had to do with spirits. Grandparents told me about it back when I was 5-9, that's more than 15 yrs ago. All I remeber is that it has to do with some kind of spirit or superstition type of thing.
yes i thought so...there's also tat another thing w/ the spoon..
something like you cann't have like your rice / ur meat / ur zaub all
at once on ur spoon..cuz tat's how they do it wen they "laig dab"