hmong funeral shooting in sacramento

nkaujhmooblauj

sarNie Adult
Sacramento sheriff's officials on Sunday continued to withhold the name of a man killed in a shooting Saturday during a traditional Hmong funeral, even though family members told The Bee the victim was simply in the wrong place – that he was not involved in a fight that led to the shooting.

A dispute between two groups of young men Saturday afternoon left one person dead and another injured, according to sheriff's deputies. Another man, a 50-year-old also attending the funeral for Ma Vang, was taken to a hospital after complaining of chest pains.

Family members told The Bee the shooting victim is a 26-year-old nephew of Ma Vang.

Sacramento County coroner's officials said they were withholding the name at the request of the Sheriff's Department.

Julie Vang, a second-grade teacher in Stockton, told The Bee she is the victim's sister. "He wasn't even involved in the initial fight that occurred a few yards from where he was sitting," she said. "Someone was running in his direction and opened fire. I don't even think he knew this was coming. The shots were fired around 3 p.m., and he was laying on the ground.

"Vang said her brother, who was unmarried, had never been involved in gangs or been in trouble with the law.

"He was a good person, very helpful," she said. "(He) enjoyed playing basketball with his friends and relatives."

Julie Vang said her brother was a graduate of Edison High School in Stockton.

"(He) was working on an assembly line in Stockton making window frames," said Julie Vang, who added she is one of nine surviving brothers and sisters. "The family is traumatized.

When are we going to wake up from this nightmare?"

The gunfire erupted at the funeral of Ma Vang in south Sacramento.

Ma Vang was described by community activist Peter Thao as "a typical Hmong woman who lives a peaceful life – she doesn't have any conflicts in the family, she's not involved in any political affairs."

Thao stopped by the funeral Saturday after the incident. (Today is the last of four days for the funeral.) He said attendees told him a dispute broke out "between a couple of young guys maybe in their 20s who attended the funeral."

Amanda Xiong of Stockton, Ma Vang's niece, said she and her husband were at the funeral when about five or six people came into the parking lot "like regular people."

"They came and they ate (with other mourners) and nobody noticed anything," Xiong said. "Then there was a fight in the church, we saw kids running around and we heard shooting in one corner."

Neither the 23-year-old injured man nor the hospitalized man was identified by authorities on Sunday.

A statement from the Sheriff's Department said deputies were asking for help in locating possible suspects who fled the scene. No detailed descriptions were available; witnesses described the men as Asian, wearing white shirts and dark pants, deputies said.

[[credit to sacbee. com]]

rukmos

sarNie Adult
Why do Hmong gotta kill Hmong? One reason Hmong are scattered all over the world with no country of their own.

dajdeev

sarNie Juvenile
i heard this news from my mom and my sister mother-in-law.

i can't believe it that this happened. I know that in south side there are lots of gang there and this is so bad

nkaujhmoob08

sarNie Adult
wow....i think i heard this already......my parents went to that funeral.....i think we could be related....dunno....not sure....hehe......byes....

amikrazie

sarNie Oldmaid
its horrible esp during a funeral...hmm...its not just hmong killing hmong...

how can anyone raised their hand to kill another person? is the question... :(