Hmong Traditional Dance and Paj Huam

ntxhais

sarNie Hatchling
I'm doing research on Hmong Traditional Dance and Paj Huam or just Hmong Poetry in General. So, my question to you ladies/gentlemen, is there such a thing as Hmong Traditional Dance or is it an incorporation of other cultures' dance, making it our own? And Paj Huam, what is is used for and any general information on it.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks.

kazz143

sarNie Juvenile
Nope we have our own way of dancing...its jus dat the three styles of dancing...hmong, laos and thai are very similar...since we are very similar in culture....here is a clip if u wanna see what hmong traditional dance look like
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=ndkfHyihAog
i know for a fact dat in di old days dey use those (ntau) material to dance like dat...

cecilia

Staff member
there's such thing as traditional dance? .. hop here and there? never heard of it.
*rush to ask them elder ppl ** LOl

iamhmong

sarNie Egg
No, i don't think Hmong people copy dances for other culture. We have our little own dance like others, too.
Like kazz143 say: hmong, laos and thai dance and cultures are very similar. ;)

kazz143

sarNie Juvenile
I like the song!!! I love the different voices!!!!

our traditional poety is kwv txhiaj
no our traditional poem is not kwv txhiaj...its actually just paj huam....Kwv txhiaj is a form of singing...
the words used in paj huam is very poetic and unusual...cant think of any now...buh deres many on di net...
just try hmong paj huam...hmong poems...etc

cecilia

Staff member
of course, you do ... **wink***
TONG PAK FU ''saum roob muaj ib pab os, sib nraws los mus rau duab de, mus nraws nted mus tua ci noj, thaum raug npo, mam mus deev maum'' :loool: (( sorry for the spelling error on some part ))

pink_juliet_kashie

sarNie Oldmaid
I'm doing research on Hmong Traditional Dance and Paj Huam or just Hmong Poetry in General. So, my question to you ladies/gentlemen, is there such a thing as Hmong Traditional Dance or is it an incorporation of other cultures' dance, making it our own? And Paj Huam, what is is used for and any general information on it.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks.
ah..u're in luck...here i am....lol :lol:

okay what i learn from my hmong dance class...our traditional hmong dance is named "Yaj Yaum"....honestly it's quite boring to me...but then again..it's interesting..i know weird rite...i'll trying to find a clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1zggy0HfXM (not excatly the best...but the best i can find in a jiffy...but wow..i like the song..anyone know the name of the song?? ) i dunno if u can see...but from wat i learn...ur thumb is suppose to neva touch ur other fingers....and ur hand is suppose to stay straight most of the time...unlike thai / laos / and tose peacock dance....where ur hand bends..and ur thumb touches ur pointing finger..did i confuse u

Paj Huam i'm dun know much...but if u talk about hmong folk song...Kwv Txhiaj..then i can probably help u w/ the patterns..verses..etc..w/ in each zaj....

but wat i do know and enjoy much are " Txhiaj Txhais"...riddles...tose are fun fun fun! :wub:

nkaujhmooblauj

sarNie Adult
TONG PAK FU ''saum roob muaj ib pab os, sib nraws los mus rau duab de, mus nraws nted mus tua ci noj, thaum raug npo, mam mus deev maum'' :loool: (( sorry for the spelling error on some part ))
LMAO
omg!! you have that part of the movie memorized?
my sisters and i do too.
lol.
we say it to each other out of the blue
and it cracks us up every time because its hella random.
anyways...
back to the thread.. lol.

cecilia

Staff member
^haha. i like the one he make up at the time when they caught him and accuse him of luring in them ROBBER ..

i didn't know, that the flipping hand dance it our traditional dance? .. it just doesn't seem right, the hopping one looks better as a traditional :p
** i still have yet to seek the answer to this traditional dance thing ***

kazz143

sarNie Juvenile
ah..u're in luck...here i am....lol :lol:

okay what i learn from my hmong dance class...our traditional hmong dance is named "Yaj Yaum"....honestly it's quite boring to me...but then again..it's interesting..i know weird rite...i'll trying to find a clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1zggy0HfXM (not excatly the best...but the best i can find in a jiffy...but wow..i like the song..anyone know the name of the song?? ) i dunno if u can see...but from wat i learn...ur thumb is suppose to neva touch ur other fingers....and ur hand is suppose to stay straight most of the time...unlike thai / laos / and tose peacock dance....where ur hand bends..and ur thumb touches ur pointing finger..did i confuse u

Paj Huam i'm dun know much...but if u talk about hmong folk song...Kwv Txhiaj..then i can probably help u w/ the patterns..verses..etc..w/ in each zaj....

but wat i do know and enjoy much are " Txhiaj Txhais"...riddles...tose are fun fun fun! :wub:
no that is not hmong traditional dancing...hmong traditional dancing is the hop and jump etc... with the scarf/ntau/material thrown around....dacing in cirlce....buh that kind of dance is some kind of khoom haum...or comunity dance or sumfing like dat....not sure what its call....buh deres a name to it...ill have to find out....

mozemoua

sarNie Hatchling
LOL.. love it!! This was the best part of the movie.. LOL

cecilia

Staff member
no that is not hmong traditional dancing...hmong traditional dancing is the hop and jump etc... with the scarf/ntau/material thrown around....dacing in cirlce....buh that kind of dance is some kind of khoom haum...or comunity dance or sumfing like dat....not sure what its call....buh deres a name to it...ill have to find out....
yes. that kind of dancing is pretty much imply '' LET'S COME TOGETHER, JOIN HAND AND ENJOY THESE PROSPEROUS TOGETHER'' .. plus, IT'S SO NOT ORIGINAL :lol:

the hop thing is not original either but if i have to pick it, it's the one .. just b/c back then .. HMONG PPL walk and hop to ua teb .. so they're adapting whatever gesture they can to make them dance ..

but really, hmong have traditional dance? (haha, i still have yet to ask that, keep pushing it aside, LOL ))