Islamic

Kina

Dubsteppin'
KawaiiTennyo said:
im sure every religion teaches good morals .. but have you read the koran about females?! it's kinda not fair .. yea it's about a saudi princess.. i forgot who;s the author although i jsut finished it recently haha but yea she marries a guy name careem and she has a sister name sara and a borhter name ali..
[post="42885"][/post]​
maybe what u read about women in the koran might sound not as fair as u think but u will understand the inner message when ur actually studying the Tafseer, which is the INTERPRETATIONS of the MEANINGS of the Koran. dont take it LITERALLY...thats how most people misunderstand.

if u have questions about a certain verse....paste the chapter number and the verse number like this: ch1....verse3 in parenthesis (1.3)

ps....are we online at the same time bcz u anwered so quickly loool

KawaiiTennyo

THE KT OF SARNIES
Amira said:
maybe what u read about women in the koran might sound not as fair as u think but u will understand the inner message when ur actually studying the Tafseer, which is the INTERPRETATIONS of the MEANINGS of the Koran. dont take it LITERALLY...thats how most people misunderstand.

if u have questions about a certain verse....paste the chapter number and the verse number like this: ch1....verse3 in parenthesis (1.3)

ps....are we online at the same time bcz u anwered so quickly loool
[post="42892"][/post]​
yea i think we are haha btu yea.. alot of GUYS that follow the koran misunderstood too.. that's why girls are being mistreated.. you can't blame the religion you gotta blame the people..

KawaiiTennyo

THE KT OF SARNIES
iluvnumandoil said:
i know this is off topic but i got a quick question, when something bad happens why does everyone turn to religon?
[post="42903"][/post]​
cuz that's where the soul can be at ease .. something for comfort ..

Kina

Dubsteppin'
iluvnumandoil said:
i know this is off topic but i got a quick question, when something bad happens why does everyone turn to religon?
[post="42903"][/post]​
religion has always been a spiritual revival for the human soul....this is my theory. seems logical and very likely. tell u the truth, w/o some kind of religious revival, we would all be moping psychologically w/o the aid of spiritual inspiration.

vilasaeng

sarNie Juvenile
Amira said:
yes i wear the hijab. i started wearing it just recently. i wasnt ready to wear before i was scared of the sudden changes and i was afraid of what my other relatives might say/think of me. i didnt let that bother me anymore, like a month ago so i just got my courage and wore it on a saturday.

its not hard to wear it. it is soooo easy. there many ways to wear a head scarf, and it depends what kind of scarf, too. i have a lot of the Square head scarves and what u do is u fold them into a triangle (the side measurement of the square can range from 40''-60''...i think i have the 45'' ones). once u got it into a triangle, u put it on ur head, making sure that the middle point of the triangle is on top of ur head. then u bring each side that hangs around ur shoulder together at the chin and u just pin it there. i usually do this and then fold the hangings inside to behind my shoulders because theyre long and gets in my way.

besides the Square hijaabs, i have a long rectangular scarf. its about 45-50 or more longer in length and the width is about 30" i think and it all varies. theyre not all the same sizes because of style.

the scarves i have are from Syria. my stepfather went over there this summer to visit some families in Iraq and made a trip to Syria at the malls and bizarres (market). i saw pictures...omgggg it is soooooooo beautiful! if only i can find some pictures to show u guys. ill try to find some pictures to show yall. i would love to go there one day. many kute arab guys too lol. ok....
[QUOTE/]
thank you for the picture.. and the site to it....

juicee

sarNie Elites
is your family not muslim? i was just wondring why you were afraid of what your family might think?

Kina

Dubsteppin'
juicee said:
is your family not muslim?  i was just wondring why you were afraid of what your family might think?
[post="43312"][/post]​
my family consists of my mom, brother, me, my sister, and my Arab stepfather. my sister doesnt live with us. she stays with her fiance in another state. the only people in my family who are muslims are my mother, my stepfather, and me.

as for relatives, i think only my aunt, my mom's sister, knows that i am muslim for sure. the others kind of have an idea but not real sure. some of them aren't too happy with the idea. that's why i was a little hesitant at first about wearing the hijab. now, i really don't kare anymore. im doing this for me, not to satisfy anyone.

my aunt, my mom's sister, is ok with it. i guess because she sees a lot of good stuff with Islam, and that it is sorta similar to Christianity, since she's Christian. my other relatives are Buddhist. well, they call themselves Buddhists, but they're not practicing Buddhist, ye no what i mean. people label themselves with a certain religion because they grew up that way, but they're not applying it to their life. :unsure:

iluvnumandoil

sarNie OldFart
why do the muslim ladies wear the scarf over their head?
someone told me that when the women show their hair is like showing their hair down there..dont be offend by this please

dfemc

sarNie Adult
KawaiiTennyo said:
wait so what ethinicity are you?? yea the koran is like your bible right?? well not to say anything negative about your religion or anything but you should read the book call PRINCESS .. it's kinda sad..
[post="42878"][/post]​
just like amira mentioned, the faith has always been present even in places like Southeast Asia, which may be depicted as predominantly Buddhist. There's the Chaam ppl, who is an ethnic group within countries like VietNam, Laos, Cambodia, and they have converted to the Islam faith many years ago.

if ur talking about faith vs. feminism, the way that ppl have manipulated faiths and form fundamentalist beliefs and practice in the name of "religion" and "tradition" has always existed and does so in every single faith to some extent. but that's why as amira says, it's important to find the lines and discern and interpret.

there is not much of a matriarchical narrative provided in most cultures, because it has been suppressed behind the patriarchical masking of practices and narrative of "tradition." so i think this is one of the challenges that is posed upon every faith and culture, but yet awaits to be further examined and re-examined.

there's a great book that speaks to but does not speak for the position of Muslim women and the master narrative provided behind their faith. it's called, "Scheherazade Goes West" by Fatema Mernissi. it doesn't approach the idea in the direct sense but more of a critical revelation on the western/eastern comparison of our understanding of "feminism" and even in the sense of the "harem".

our understanding of feminism definitely has a basis on our judgements and understanding of what's "fair" and what's "not". but, i do want to try to read ur suggested book titled, "The Princess" hopefully we can get the author's name.

To Amira: the hijabs are gorgeous.

Kina

Dubsteppin'
iluvnumandoil said:
why do the muslim ladies wear the scarf over their head?
someone told me that when the women show their hair is like showing their hair down there..dont be offend by this please
[post="43606"][/post]​
we wear the head scarf for religious reasons. God, or rather, Allah (it is his name) told us, from the words of the Koran (since this is the holy book He sent down to all people to heed about his last revelation), that we must wear head scarves and to cover our ourselves. this is the main reason. We do it firstly for Allah's pleasure because he told us to. Whatever comes from him, meaning whatever He tells us to do, is for our own good. The second major reason that we wear it is because we must be modest, in both clothing AND behaviour. Other reasons as to why we wear it lies indepth.

Some people who do not understand Islam very well misunderstand the reason to why we wear it. They would think we wear it because of men's superiority towards us. This is not so. We wear it because of the beforementioned reason.

hope i elaborately answered your question. :)

Kina

Dubsteppin'
dfemc said:
just like amira mentioned, the faith has always been present even in places like Southeast Asia, which may be depicted as predominantly Buddhist. There's the Chaam ppl, who is an ethnic group within countries like VietNam, Laos, Cambodia, and they have converted to the Islam faith many years ago.

if ur talking about faith vs. feminism, the way that ppl have manipulated faiths and form fundamentalist beliefs and practice in the name of "religion" and "tradition" has always existed and does so in every single faith to some extent. but that's why as amira says, it's important to find the lines and discern and interpret.

there is not much of a matriarchical narrative provided in most cultures, because it has been suppressed behind the patriarchical masking of practices and narrative of "tradition." so i think this is one of the challenges that is posed upon every faith and culture, but yet awaits to be further examined and re-examined.

there's a great book that speaks to but does not speak for the position of Muslim women and the master narrative provided behind their faith. it's called, "Scheherazade Goes West" by Fatema Mernissi. it doesn't approach the idea in the direct sense but more of a critical revelation on the western/eastern comparison of our understanding of "feminism" and even in the sense of the "harem".

our understanding of feminism definitely has a basis on our judgements and understanding of what's "fair" and what's "not". but, i do want to try to read ur suggested book titled, "The Princess" hopefully we can get the author's name.

To Amira: the hijabs are gorgeous.
[post="43631"][/post]​
i think i may have read the book called "the Princess". it sounds familiar, and if it's the same book, it is a book based on the inferiority of women in the Kingdom Saudia Arabia (KSA). KSA's government is based upon the Shari'a (islamic code/laws) and though it IS islamic, the men take it to their own hands to undermine the females. this is mostly because in the Koran, it says that Men are the backbone to women and that men are the ones to take care of them, but they took it out of context and took it to the extreme. they used these verses as their back-up to support the idea that men are higher than women and so women must do what they say. this is NOT part of Islam. men and women are EQUAL to one another, but God made men to be stronger than women physically and psychologically. hence, people of the world who looks at the treatment of women in such a country as KSA would, of course, immediately conclude that Islam is all about control in terms of men over women. there is this tradition in KSA, and some other Muslim countries, that is practiced--but is declining--is the circumcision of females. they say it is religious, but it is not part of Islam. circumcision is ONLY meant for MALES. it is ordered in the Koran, and also the Bible and the Jewish Torah. People shouldn't mix tradition with religion.

to dfemc:I have read the book that u mentioned, "Dreams of Trespass: Tales of A Harem Girlhood", by Fatima Mernissi. i had to read this book for my Cultural Anthropology class during my freshman year. It's based on the author's insight of the harem in her country, Morocco. U get a sense of history in this book, as far as what she described that was going on, such as the French and Spain that was trying to colonize Morocco at that time. This particular book was meant to reveal the limited freedom of Morrocan females in the harem in those times. like i mentioned above, it was very male-dominated; it has nothing to do with religious practice at all.

dfemc

sarNie Adult
Amira said:
to dfemc:I have read the book that u mentioned, "Dreams of Trespass: Tales of A Harem Girlhood", by Fatima Mernissi. i had to read this book for my Cultural Anthropology class during my freshman year. It's based on the author's insight of the harem in her country, Morocco. U get a sense of history in this book, as far as what she described that was going on, such as the French and Spain that was trying to colonize Morocco at that time. This particular book was meant to reveal the limited freedom of Morrocan females in the harem in those times. like i mentioned above, it was very male-dominated; it has nothing to do with religious practice at all.
[post="43752"][/post]​
it's not that particular book, but "Sherahazade Goes West." i haven't read that other book by Mernissi that you speak of above. however, it is not so much about religious practice, like u have mentioned, but about how most patriarchical practices tend to be guised behind "tradition" which is usually correlated with religion expecially in much of the understanding of most faith. though we may want to distinguish between the two, religion and traditions have its share of mixes. and specific to Mernissi's book, it's simply a critique of that understanding. however, i do hope to read "Dreams of Trepass:Tales of A Harem Girlhood" someday.

Linn

SarNworld Wonderer
hmm...I just finishedin reading a book relating to an Islamic country, Iran, it was long but some parts were interesting...
it called "Reading Lolita in Tehran" by: Azar Nafisi
it talked about how women had less right n required to wear veils

Kina

Dubsteppin'
Linn said:
hmm...I just finishedin reading a book relating to an Islamic country, Iran, it was long but some parts were interesting...
it called "Reading Lolita in Tehran" by: Azar Nafisi
it talked about how women had less right n required to wear veils
[post="43950"][/post]​
ive never read that one before, but it seems similar to Mernissi's "Dreams of Trespass" where it illuminized the limited rights of women.

for me, women who've gone through such critical "movements", so to say, takes it to the personal level and outstretch the original and true ideology. of course no woman wouldn't want someone else telling her what to do in terms of religion, but that doesn't mean she has to put a bad name to her own religion because one would come to a conclusion that the religion, in this case Islam, is defacing women, but how can it be so when it is required for women to cover themselves (the hijaab/veil). they shouldn't take it to a personal level----but i DO have to side with them that it is wrong for the men, religious authorities, and other people to enforce a certain religious rule upon the women. it should be an individual choice whether to wear the veil or to cover up or talk to strangers (for example).

pii-nky

sarNie Juvenile
this is intresting, the subject "ISLAMIC" caught my attention, since in my class we're discussing about Islam, Judaism and Christianity. I just find it so hard to pray 5 times a day... how do you deal with this? Especially the one in the morning-- don't you just want to sleep in? What i think is intresting is when you pray, you recite, "there is no god but Allah, and Mohammed is the last prophet".

Kina

Dubsteppin'
pii-nky said:
this is intresting, the subject "ISLAMIC" caught my attention, since in my class we're discussing about Islam, Judaism and Christianity. I just find it so hard to pray 5 times a day... how do you deal with this? Especially the one in the morning-- don't you just want to sleep in? What i think is intresting is when you pray, you recite, "there is no god but Allah, and Mohammed is the last prophet".
[post="44954"][/post]​
honey bunz....sometimes i cant wake up that early to pray for the first prayer, which is ABOUT 4 for me, it depends where u live globally. though it is prefered and better to wake up for this prayer, called Fajr, i don't do it. i used to during Ramadan because i need to wake up early to eat before the time is up for eating for that day, and then the prayer starts. i use to wake up like at 5 AM...i get to eat until 30 minutes later because that's when it ends to eat, and the Fajr prayer would begin. yes.....i admit it is hard, but we Muslims sacrifice "useless" daily lives to worship Allah/God. struggling for Him is like....we're earning points in our "Life Book", which is the book that has every good or bad deeds that we did on earth. i try to do good deeds as much as possible and earn my points to drive the highway to Paradise hehe.

yeah, when we pray, we recite that which u mentioned.

Islam facinated me before i was muslim, and it still facinates me as i learn more and more. :)

misszaky

sarNie Hatchling
I'm a Cham Muslim and is currently trying to strengthen my faith. I love the fact that I'm born into this religion because without it my family wouldn't be what it is today.

Kina

Dubsteppin'
misszaky said:
I'm a Cham Muslim and is currently trying to strengthen my faith. I love the fact that I'm born into this religion because without it my family wouldn't be what it is today.
[post="45113"][/post]​
Alhamdulillah, another muslim besides myself on sarnworld lol. yes.....get bk to studying the deen. experience the islamic great awakening (dont take that serious for the american great awakening during historic colonial times hehe). Allah is so merciful and if u straighten ur faith sincerely, may Allah subhana wa ta'ala forgive u and keep u under his protection and light. Ameen.

charm

sarNie Egg
MashaAllah! I cannot do a better job at explaining than u, Amira... & also dfemc.

I've been coming to Sarnworld for a while now, & have NEVER replied to a topic until now... I'm so happy that there are others in this forum whom I can relate to (good thing my sis saw this topic or else i would've bypass it).

I'm so schocked when I read misszaky's post, b/c I'm also Cham Muslim...(in Seattle tho)! I've also been trying to strengthen my faith for the past few years...That is way too much of a coincidence that it's a lil freaky.

Anyways, u know guys, it does seems like many of the "converts"--reverts know a lot more than some muslims who were born into Islam. Speaking from experience, I find that many muslims who are born into Islam take advantage of it... whereas some reverts seek so much knowledge in Islam that they know more in a short amount of time than the live-span of some muslims. I know a few of my revert friends, mostly at my university, who know a lot more than me...which I'm a lil ashamed of...that's one of the reasons why I'm seeking more knowledge!
...so good job amira! & keep up the good work misszaky, dfemc!
If anyone have more questions, keep asking please!!! :)