Lao CLub

pinky

sarNie Egg
Hello everyone, first time posting. Well, let me just try to get to the point. My friend and I really would like to get a lao club started (fresno State) I'm not sure how many people are from fresno cali in here. Anyhow, we have ameriasia week at school ..there's different culture,but no lao club to be found. Wondering what you guys think about it, and if its worth it for me to invest my time and try to get people to join and be involve. And for those of you that are from fresno, and would like to see a Lao club start, would you be interested in joining?

thanks for u time :D

dfemc

sarNie Adult
that sounds awesome blossom pinky. u should go for it.... maybe start out with a survey to see how many Laotian/Hmong/Mien-Americans are on the campus? and from there think about what ppl are looking for in a Laos club?
- just representation or...
- also a support group (scholastically, work-wise, culturally)
- a network (social group)
- community resource (social activism)

i guess it's important to think about the objective of the club and if there are ppl who have the same vision and objective as u.

good luck.
hope to hear more about it. :)

Keomany

Music.heal.All
i use to live in fresno if that count..i say go for it notin better but to put our culture our there and do someting about it to infor people

iangel

sarNie Egg
HI Pinky! I'm actually from Fresno!!!!

I remember that there was a Lao Club at Fresno State back in the days when I was in Highschool which was gosh like 4-5 years ago. I don't really know what happened to it now. I tried to contact people that were on the website just a couple of years back to ask for support for a Lao club at UCLA, but I guess they don't exist anymore because no one responded.

I think its an awesome IDEA!!! There is a large community of Lao people in Fresno that really needs a new generation of Lao-americans to bring the community together.

I think you should find a couple of people who are interested and put together a board and then register to be an organization on campus. After that, I'm not sure but at UCLA they allow organizations to access the database to find specific ethnic groups.

Let me know if you need any help. I have a lot of experience in starting up student organizations.

pinky

sarNie Egg
THanks everyone for the encouragement and ideas. iangel or to anyone that are interetsted in this, here is my email address vara039@hotmail.com..please email me so we can move forward with this idea...:)

NangNaaley

sarNie Egg
hi...there used to be a lao club at Fresno state in late 90's i believe it sorted of ended in 98-99. A lot of students were graduating and no one really wanted to take it on. I think it be great to get something like that going on again. Good Luck!

pinky

sarNie Egg
hey nangnaaley...are u still in fresno??? I'm still working on getting people together..would you be interested in joining? once again my email is vara039@hotmail.com....anyone interested please email me...i would really love to have our first meeting and move forward from there. THANKS!

missjoy

sarNie Elites
i was involved in a Laos club back when I was in college. It takes a lot of hard work and dedication, so be prepared for that. It's good to start out with a good support system, a new number of people that you can count on and will be there to help you out.

I notice that when works is involved, not too many people volunteer to help but if it involve some FUN activities, then everyone will show up! Like if there's a show or function that needs to happen, hardly anyone comes help but will show up in the end and expect everything to be done and get credit for it... so be prepared for something like that...

but it's a great idea.. and if you can make it happen.. go for it!!! Represent Khon Lao and let other people know we exist!!!

NangNaaley

sarNie Egg
Pinky, if i was still in college i would love to join in but I am not. make sure you take mssjoy's comments into consideration bc she does speak the truth. I to once was part of a Lao Org at CSUFullerton STate. It started out great but towards the end of my years there, it fizzled out bc no one was willing to take on the work. You'd be surprise if you talk to your campus reps, there might still be funds in the Lao club accounts from previous years. I know there still funds in our Lao Club at Fullerton State. so check it out on your campus and see.

tye-niranh

sarNie Adult
I agree with what missjoy said. I was involved in club like such. We do many fun things but we also do educational programs so people know we exist. Anyway, when it was time for fun, everyone showed up, even people that didn't belong in the club. However, when it was time to do park clean-ups, no one was any where in sight.