Laos food

What is your favorite Laos Food?

• Tham Mark Hoong (papaya salad)

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Lab Gai/sean/ or ba (chicken/beef/fish salad)

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Lab Leurd Bet (duck blood)

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Lab Tow (Seaweed salad w/snails)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gaeng Nor Mai (Bamboo Soup)

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Thom Khem (brown eggs w/pig's feet in sugar sauce)

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Tord ba (fried fish)

• Sean haeng (beef jerky)

• Tham mark Kuer (Eggplant salad)

• Som ba (Pickled fish)

• Som Sean (Pickled beef/or pork w/ pork rhines)

• Oua/Sai Gok (Laos sausage)

• Thom Ngu Sing (Snake soup)

• Gaeng Het (Mushroom Soup)

• Kua Kai (Laos eggs...fried/scrambled, etc)

• Kanom Mok (sticky rice with pork inside and wrapped with banana leaf)

• Kao Thom (Sweet sticky rice desert)

• Kao Piak (Rice soup/noodle soup)

• Kao Boon (Noodle with curry sauce)

• other (please list)

• Total voters

PhoneO_5

sarNie Oldmaid
ah geez...why bring that pi up now i got to go order a papaya salad....i love papaya...not snake soup...never heard of snake soup too...it seems weird..
yeah, i knew snake soup wouldn't be common. But, I actually tried it before. My grandma dried up some python or some kind of snake and sent it to us. So, my dad made some soup (thom) and I tried it. I tricked some of my cousins to eat it too, and told them it was fish a couple years ago :eek: . They liked it and I actually like it too. Very exotic kind of food. Haven't had it for a couple years now.

dmdaisy

sarNie Hatchling
I like papaya salad (don't like nuts in it though like the thai version) but not everyone can make it taste right though it's especially good in the summer with grill chicken wings or fresh beef. I also like duck blood but alot of people don't but i think it's so good and it's not something you can eat very often too. As for the snake thing i agree not common and never tried it before or really heard of it either, as for the fried eggs i think that's pretty universal cause when you hungry and nothing else to eat at home just fried egg and sticky rice.

lady0fdarkness

Professional Lakorn Watcher
I love all Laos foods including the very traditional ones like Some Puk Gud, but my all time favorite is Kow Piek, both Sen and Kow. I love mine in chicken broth, a lot of garnishings, swimming in Hot pepper sauce, limes, fish sauce, soy sauce, and bean sprouts. Oh boy.. I'm drooling so badly right now.

Toon

Official Robert Pattinson Ambassador
I just chose others because I love all of the foods listed on there...I would eat everything on site if there ever was a Laotion Buffet...LOL...I'm a pig!!!

buklaoboi360

sarNie Adult
my grandparents loves som ba very much i like it when its cooked not raw i also like the sausages that my mom makes man i want some now lol

Thookatha

sarNie Elites
this is like a trick thread. i love all this stuff too much to actually pick a favorite. haha

sao_thic

sarNie Egg
Hello all! I just chanced upon this website. This will be my first post. Just wanted to share pictures of some of my personal favorites. Hope you all enjoy =)

Nam

Green bean salad

Ka buen

Brandy

sarNie Egg
I enjoy everything besides the dishes with fish in them because of the khang and i know how clumsy i am when foods are too delicious. Heheh..I also like:
Kala Pbow [Egg, Pork, squiggly black strips in round bread]
Gheng Gai with fishballs and tamarind powder
Purple Rice candy
Kua Snow pea with minced meat
Shrimp && Baccam curry
Ladna [I don't know if it's thai or lao but it's all good]
&& many others i can't remember :lol:

IRukYou

sarNie Juvenile
I just had my favorite dessert for New Year! Yummy, it was lod-kao-song. The green flour jelly with coconut milk.

infinite0216

sarNie Egg
I posted this in my own thread, but maybe someone here can help me.

"I have a lot of Laos friends, and whenever they cook fish or chicken, they have this sauce this is extremely spicy.. it literally burns your tongue but it's so good that you just keep on eating it.

They told me it's called "gel" or "jel", atleast that's how it's pronounced but not sure if it's the proper spelling.

I know that the item has Thai Chilies in them and it's a clear liquid with the seeds floating around. At first taste, it's sweet/a little sour, but then right after the spicy kicks in and it burns. I'm pretty sure it also consists of lemon juice and some sugar for the first sweet and sour taste.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about or can help me on making this on my own? Is it a special Laos item or do other cultures make the same thing and I should post in their section? Please let me know asap as I want to make some for tomorrow. If you need any more info, please ask and I'll try to answer/clarify.

Thanks."

Athena

sarNie Juvenile
I am a hardcore Laos food fan.
Luv Larb Sean (raw)MMMMMMMM :drool:
And som pak (pickled veggies)
Kai Loog (baby eggs)
Now going home to make me some thum kaboon.
Just got hungry.

Maya_Fantasy

sarNie Oldmaid
I posted this in my own thread, but maybe someone here can help me.

"I have a lot of Laos friends, and whenever they cook fish or chicken, they have this sauce this is extremely spicy.. it literally burns your tongue but it's so good that you just keep on eating it.

They told me it's called "gel" or "jel", atleast that's how it's pronounced but not sure if it's the proper spelling.

I know that the item has Thai Chilies in them and it's a clear liquid with the seeds floating around. At first taste, it's sweet/a little sour, but then right after the spicy kicks in and it burns. I'm pretty sure it also consists of lemon juice and some sugar for the first sweet and sour taste.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about or can help me on making this on my own? Is it a special Laos item or do other cultures make the same thing and I should post in their section? Please let me know asap as I want to make some for tomorrow. If you need any more info, please ask and I'll try to answer/clarify.

Thanks."
The right term is call "gel/jel som" which translate to "sour sauce". But you can have either sweet taste, sour taste or combinations of sweet and sour.

Pound about 5 to 10 fresh hot chilli, with clove of garlic, add a bit of sugar if you like sweet, if not then just omit it. Then add a fish sauce and squeeze some lime in it.
Add more sugar or lime juice to sweet or sourness to your liking. Don't add too much fish sauce, just enough to have little sauce or else is going to be too salty.

infinite0216

sarNie Egg
The right term is call "gel/jel som" which translate to "sour sauce". But you can have either sweet taste, sour taste or combinations of sweet and sour.

Pound about 5 to 10 fresh hot chilli, with clove of garlic, add a bit of sugar if you like sweet, if not then just omit it. Then add a fish sauce and squeeze some lime in it.
Add more sugar or lime juice to sweet or sourness to your liking. Don't add too much fish sauce, just enough to have little sauce or else is going to be too salty.
OMG! Thank you so much.

PhoneO_5

sarNie Oldmaid
I think I'm going to post photos of some Lao food soon because coming back to this thread is bringing back memories of delicious food talk!!

December 8, 2010
K-here's some pics.

- Kao Kam

- Leurd Paeng Bhet

More pictures to come ;P

anan

sarNie Adult
- Kao Mao *I think that's the green one, but I can't remember the name of this one??
You are right, khao mao is the green one, and this one is simply called Khao Kam ;) . There is also something called "Khao Sangkhagna" (rice dessert with a mixture of eggs&coconut milk cream on top)

I have both a little bit in my kitchen :p You make me hungry...

Gonna make dessert tonight :p

saobomp

sarNie Adult
i had a lot of pictures to share but i cant retrieve them sigh***

i love:

mok nor mai or mok gai
poen gai
aurh gai with lots of pauk

PhoneO_5

sarNie Oldmaid
i have some more pics. took some random pics, but never got to uploading them. maybe i will tomorrow night. you can never go wrong with food!!

You should def take new ones and share :D

aurh is good :)

ah my sis is gonna kill me, but haha she made a vid when she made jaew to eat with sour plums
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlBFUN_APVo