Lub Hmo Hli Nra – The Night’s Moonlight (Light ray).

nancyvang

sarNie Adult
Chapter 6

Muaj Tsheeb: “I would had thought you’ve gone by now. You told my Pog, you had some business to prepare for later in the day. Why are you still here?” He had a thing for jolting down everyone’s exact words.

Nuj Tsim: “I came to say a quick Hi, to Tsab. But I stumble upon, Hli Nra.”

Muaj Tsheeb: “You two know each other?” He slightly turns his head to eye Hli Nra at the corner of his eyes.

At the same time Nuj Tsim said “yes we know each other”, while Hli Nra said “no we don’t know each other.”

Nuj Tsim: “Fine, Hli Nra. What do you want to say to Nuj Nraim? I’ll relay the message to him.”

Muaj Tsheeb: “Nuj Nraim?” He thought quietly since it was the name of the male voice that Hli Nra had to talked to on the phone before. Not only that, he recognize Nuj Tsim’s voice now. “Nuj Tsim, you are very slick. Afraid people will know you’re cheating on my sister, you use an alias identity to fool around with women.” He thinks to himself.

Hli Nra: “Regarding Nuj Nraim and my relationship, he’s a friend. As for Nuj Tsim and me, I don’t know him. He’s only just a stranger to me.”

Muaj Tsheeb: “Really Hli Nra?” He sat down next to her and purposely put his hand on top of hers that was on her lap. He kept his eyes on Nuj Tsim and could see him uneasy. “Since you are not feeling well; how about I take you to the hospital to get some medicine?”

Hli Nra: “Do you do this with all your female workers?” She teased. Muaj Tsheeb kept his cool but squeezed her hand and clears his throat.

Muaj Tsheeb: “Like I’ve said before, I don’t want anyone to die on my land.” He makes a call to Tsab to make sure he relay the message to his mother that Hli Nra was off with him for that day. “Let’s go.”

Hli Nra: “What are you doing?” She muttered quietly.

Muaj Tsheeb: “Just go without any question asked.” He whispers back. “Oh. You’re probably too weak to go. I’ll help you.”

Hli Nra: “Muaj Tsheeb…” She shrieks quietly as he lifts her up from the bed.

Muaj Tsheeb: “Put your arm around my neck or you’ll fall.” He pretends to loosen his grip and lower her down. Scared, she wraps her arm around him.

Hli Nra: “Muaj Tsheeb, where are you taking me?”

Muaj Tsheeb: “Didn’t you hear? I said we’re going to the hospital.” Muaj Tsheeb walked with her in his arms around Nuj Tsim as they head out.

Hli Nra: “I don’t want to go.”

Muaj Tsheeb: “Why not?”

Hli Nra: “Because…”

Muaj Tsheeb: “Because?”

Hli Nra: “Doctors….sharp…needles….” She shakes the thoughts out. “Can you at least let me down. I can walk on my own.”

Muaj Tsheeb: “Let you down so you can run from me.”

Hli Nra: “Aren’t you tired carrying me back and forth like this.”

Muaj Tsheeb: “If it aggravates someone, then I don’t feel tire at all.” He thought to himself, referring to Nuj Tsim. The eerie smirk on her face make her feel uncomfortable. “You said you wanted someone to comfort you, so just take advantage of the opportunity.”

Hli Nra: “When did I say that?”

Muaj Tsheeb: “You were unconsciously mumbling words.”

Hli Nra: “How embarrassing.” She tells herself. “Is it really a necessity to go to the hospital?” She asked him.

Muaj Tsheeb: “Of course, we need to know if it’s just a flu you got there or something more, it’s for the safety of the other workers.”

Hli Nra: “Aren’t you afraid of catching it then being this close to me?” She was trying to get him to release her.

Muaj Tsheeb: “I’m healthy and don’t catch the flu that easy.”

Muaj Tsheeb got to his car and carefully put her inside. “I don’t need to go. It’s just a little cold. It will wear off in a few days. Uh. Muaj Tsheeb…” He shuts the door and walk around his car to the driver’s side. She was trying to utter something but couldn’t get it out.

Muaj Tsheeb: “Going out with me today, I’ll consider it a day’s worth of labor and will be subtracting it from your debt?” He drives off. “But for that to take effect there’s a rule you’ll have to oblige. Keep your lips seal for the whole day, unless i tell you to speak, or I’ll drop that offer.”

Hli Nra: “Can I ask something first before the rule applies?”

Muaj Tsheeb: “No. It already started.” Distraught Hli Nra slump back. Throughout the whole ride she remains quiet. Though Muaj Tsheeb was driving and keeping his eyes on the road he was also sneaking peeks at Hli Nra was couldn’t sit still. She was fondling with her fingers like crazy. She looked as if she wanted to jump out the window at every red light he stopped at, but she sat still.

Muaj Tsheeb takes her to a clinic where the contracted doctor for his workers worked at. The doctor had known Muaj Tsheeb since he was a child and he was loyal servant of the Hawj family. As they walked inside, Muaj Tsheeb casually walk forward. Hli Nra followed way behind emotionless, slowly like a snail and just dragging herself. Muaj Tsheeb sighed and stops in his steps causing Hli Nra to walk into his back and brought her to life.

Muaj Tsheeb: “Why are you so slow?”

Hli Nra signed her name on the signup sheet and headed off with a nurse who gave her a quick check up. Hli Nra went to freshen herself up after that followed the nurse. They headed toward the doctor’s office. However they meet up Muaj Tsheeb in the waiting area.

Muaj Tsheeb: “What is wrong with her?”

Nurse: “She just has a slight fever, nothing serious.”

The doctor came out of the office to greet Muaj Tsheeb who he hasn’t seen in awhile. Hli Nra quickly hides herself behind Muaj Tsheeb, clutching to the back of his shirt like a child.

Doctor: “Muaj Tsheeb, what brings you here?” He tries to look over Muaj Tsheeb’s shoulder to see who was behind him. “Who’s this? Is she your girlfriend?”

Muaj Tsheeb: “She’s just a worker.”

Doctor: “What kind of boss comes here with their laborer?”

Muaj Tsheeb: “One who cares of course.”

Doctor: “Don’t need to deny. Saying that she’s just a worker, you’re going to make her feel sad.” The nurse comes and distracts their conversation. “Alright. I’ll take care of it. Do you have a room ready for me? He took some paper works from the nurse and turns back to Muaj Tsheeb. “Please follow me.”

Inside the room the doctor asked Hli Nra to sit on the bed and she did so unwillingly. Just as she sat down she could see the doctor preparing an antibiotics shot. She then gazes at Muaj Tsheeb with puppy eyes, wanting him to help her. He had forgotten their discussion earlier and didn’t understand why Hli Nra wouldn’t just say what it was that was bothering. Her hand clutches together while she looks around.

Doctor: “Muaj Tsheeb?” He flicks the needle. “Why don’t you console her? I need her relax.”

Muaj Tsheeb: “She’s not a child anymore. There’s no need for that.”

Doctor: “Whether it is a child or an adult, they need someone to comfort them when they’re hurt. I remember when you were a child, we always had to hold you down just to get a shot. Why don’t I inject you and see how you react now that you’re an adult.”

Muaj Tsheeb: “Stop, no!”

Doctor: “Why did you shout Muaj Tsheeb, do you know patients are in the other rooms? You’re going to end up scaring them.”

Muaj Tsheeb: “Hli Nra, are you ready?”

He puts the spotlight on her as he went to sit by her side. The doctor pours seventy percent alcohol onto a cotton ball and brought it over to them. He uses the soaked cotton ball to wipe a spot off her arm. Hli Nra rested her head on his shoulder, shut her eye tightly and unconsciously slid her hand into Muaj Tsheeb’s hand. Her actions cause Muaj Tsheeb to have quick déjà vu. Once the needled was injected into Hli Nra’s skin and the antibiotic was inserted into her vein, she squeezes Muaj Tsheeb’s hand.

*Flash back*

Girl kid voice: “If you’re afraid it will hurt, you can anguish the pain by holding my hand.”

*Flash back ends*

Doctor: “You can open your eyes now child, it’s all done.” He put a bandage patch on it.

Hli Nra opens her eyes and sat down straight. For a little while she had a strange feeling, so she slightly turns to face Muaj Tsheeb who was frozen in time. She had just realized their hands still clutched each others. The longer she stared at him the more she felt she was about to get an anxiety attack.

*Flash back*

The farm house was home to Hli Nra’s and a second home to Hli Nra’s uncle when they were unwanted by her uncle’s wife. They had to stay there many nights to clear up the weeds from their crops before they get to go to the main house.

One day Hli Nra’s uncle brought a unconscious boy to their farm house. Hli Nra’s uncle had to find food for them, so he had gone hunting and found the boy floating near the river bed. At the farm house her uncle had gently flip the boy over and had Hli Nra hold the wound at the side of his waist while he sew it close, then he bandaged the boy’s waist.

A few days later Hli Nra’s uncle was going to take off the string since the wound had already seal but the boy look nervous.

Girl kid voice: “If you’re afraid it will hurt, you can anguish the pain by holding my hand.” She sat by his side and raised her hand to offer it to him. He shoves it away. “You must miss your parents.”

Boy kid voice: “Parents?” His denial had just dispersed when he realized he had no parents, not anymore. No one would worry that he’s out lost in the wildness.

Girl kid voice: “Did I speak some wrong words?” From his expression he was probably parentless like her. “Even if there’s not here, they still exist in your heart and overlooking you from beyond heaven.” He still wanted to be left alone. “If you hurt, I’m willing to hurt with you.”

Boy kid voice: “Really?”

Girl kid voice: “Why do you think the first day you arrive here and won’t eat, that I went on a diet as well? If you can’t sleep I can’t sleep.”

Boy kid voice: “Yes. And if you work I had to work, if you looked for food I had to look for food.”

Girl kid voice: “Yes, vice versa.” She looks over his shoulder. “My uncle is going to take off the string now, please be prepared.” He closes his eyes and slid his hand with hers.

Boy kid voice: “You seem as scared as I am, yet you’re pretending to be so brave.” He can feel her quaver a bit. He squeezed her hand as the tingly sensation of the thread slid out.

*Flash back ends*

The nurse came into the room surprising both of them. They both slid their hand out and stood up casual. The nurse gave Muaj Tsheeb a note of what the doctor had prescribed Hli Nra.

kab hnub

sarNie Hatchling
aw...so did they really share a sweet childhood memory??? I bet they did :D

thanks for the update. Can't wait for more.

nancyvang

sarNie Adult
Sorry to all my readers. I've been slacking off lately.

They did meet when they were children. I'm trying to clear that up in the next chapters.

nancyvang

sarNie Adult
Chapter 7

Outside of the pharmacy, while Muaj Tsheeb was out buying medication for Hli Nra she sat still in the passenger seat and placed a hand over her chest.

Hli Nra: “He can’t be that boy.”

There was in incident that happened when she was young, about the age of ten to twelve. One day while out in the far farm land helping her uncle take care of the fields, he found a boy. After he aided the unconscious boy of his wound he had went back to town trying to see if anyone lost a child but the little information he had it was merely impossible. Hli Nra couldn’t leave because she needed to look over the farm just in case her uncle’s wife came and accuse them of being lazy. Just after her uncle left the boy was awake. They had spent a few days together and grew acquaintance. But after her uncle return he had rushed the boy off with him causing him to leave behind a ring.

Hli Nra: “What other proof do I need beside the gut feeling and the scar on the back of his waist, it’s on the same side and area that the boy got wounded on. Either way, I have to find proof before taking any action.” Being a strict business man like Muaj Tsheeb, he would not look at anything without solid proof.

She takes out a black string necklace from her neck and fondled with the ring that glided through it. No one knew she had acquired such thing only herself and that boy. She wondered if her uncle knew that Muaj Tsheeb was that boy, after all he was the one who took him home. When she heard the door open she quickly put the necklace back inside her shirt.

Muaj Tsheeb: “Don’t think that I’m doing this out of kindness to you. I just need you to get well to continue working off your debt.”

When the two reached home it was about early evening the sun was just beginning to set. Muaj Tsheeb stopped his car in the middle of the road path that leads to his mansion so Hli Nra can walk her separate path. Hli Nra was still dazed that she didn’t get out of the car, she had her eyes fixed at the road ahead.

Muaj Tsheeb: “Hli Nra.” He spoke with such annoyance. “Hli Nra?” She didn’t answer causing him to be curious what she was thinking about. He took off his seat belt and put an arm around the passenger’s head rest as he leans in toward Hli Nra. He stared at her beautiful profile structure before he notice something on the side of her cheek. He took out a handkerchief and wipe off half the little faded charcoal smear on her cheek. “How did you wash your face?”

Hli Nra: “How did I wash my face? What do you mean by that? Just splatter water over your face and wipe with a towel of course.” She half consciously answer while continues to look into the distance.

Muaj Tsheeb: “You apparently miss a spot.” He was about to wipe the rest but she moved her head.

Hli Nra: “Where?” She slighted turns toward him causing their eyes to meet. They stared at each for a moment.

Muaj Tsheeb: “Here…” He was going to wipe it again but she quickly took hold of it and rubbed it harshly against her cheek. She gave it back to him. “It’s your property now.” Since it was dirty he didn’t want it anymore. Hli Nra stuff the handkerchief in her pocket and rush out of the car. She walked the pathway that headed to the worker’s residence area.

Muaj Tsheeb had to park his car at the side of the road since Hli Nra was in such a hurry she forgot her bag that had her working uniform and medication. After locking the car door Muaj Tsheeb went after her.

Muaj Tsheeb: “How are you going to get well without your medication?” She didn’t get very far when he caught up with her. He handed her the bag of medicine. She was about to reach for it but stopped half way when something on his hand caught her attention, a gold ring band. The setting sun ray hits the ring glimmering it in her face. “I don’t have all day. Take it already.” His voice spooks her, she grabs the bag but it slips through her hand and fell on the floor between them. “Why are you so clumsy?”

They both squat down to reach for the bag. Hli Nra reached for the bag first while Muaj Tsheeb had placed his hand over hers. They both raised their head and froze staring at each other as the sunset before them. Muaj Tsheeb can see her trying to utter something but couldn’t. She’s been acting weird all day and she’s acting nervous, he couldn’t make out why.

Muaj Tsheeb: “You’re acting strange all day today. Is it because being with me, you’re thinking about someone else?” Hli Nra reached down to grab the bag of medication and got up trying to leave but he clutches onto her arm and spun her back. “Why are you avoiding the question?” Hli Nra didn’t even remember about it until Muaj Tsheeb mention him, Nuj Tsim, again to her. Hli Nra held her tongue. “What’s wrong? Oh. I just realized now…” He jerks her closer toward him. “You wanted to work here to pay off the debt, in order save yourself for Nuj Tsim. You would go through that much for him?” She didn’t speak up a word to defend herself. “You are very slick Hli Nra, you used your hardships as an advantage making people sympathize you therefore giving your free charity.” He thinks the next line quietly to himself. “Nuj Tsim who would have thought you would fall so easily for these simple tricks of a gold digger.”

Hli Nra: “Stupid.”She yells at him to herself. “He doesn’t even remember the promise we made that I wasn’t suppose to talk for the whole day. If he wants me to talk then give me the right to talk” Hli Nra just smirks at him causing him to be offended.

Muaj Tsheeb: “You always liked to talk back why are you so quiet today after meeting Nuj Tsim?” Each time he mention his name he can see she was uncomfortable. He doesn’t know it but he was resentful that Hli Nra would pick Nuj Tsim over him. Throughout his life Nuj Tsim was his arch rival, everything about him was a competition. “Whatever relationship you had with him you’ll have to cut it off from today onward because he’s already someone else’s fiancée.” Hli Nra looks at him astonishment wondering why he was telling her such things. “You’re heartbroken? And to think earlier you claimed your only friends with Nuj Tsim. Whatever you have in mind do explain yourself, go ahead.”

Hli Nra: “That’s enough.” She broke her silence. “I said I was friends with Nuj Nraim, never had I said it was with Nuj Tsim who I had feelings for.”

Muaj Tsheeb: “What you are saying doesn’t matter because the fact is that Nuj Nraim and Nuj Tsim is one person. Open your eyes stop being in denial. Ah. But concerning what I told you, if you don’t believe me. I permit you to ask him yourself. Hli Nra, your heart must be aching, this is call love and you had been blindly in love with him.”

Hli Nra: “Muaj Tsheeb, seriously you’re defining the meaning of love? I don’t think a person like you had ever experience nor give back love. You would know nothing of the word love. So don’t even speak of it like you understand.” She was about to leave but he walks around her and blocks her way.

Muaj Tsheeb: “How dare you talk to me like that.”

Hli Nra: “If you for once talk to me like a human being then I’ll start to speaking to you like one as well. How is it to have a taste of your own medicine? Is it good?”

Muaj Tsheeb: “Hli Nra.”

Hli Nra: “Quit coming here to check up on me that way the days won’t be so long for you. Just let me finish my work and soon I’ll be out of your sight.”

Muaj Tsheeb: “Since meeting Nuj Tsim today she had not been herself.” He thinks before speaking out loud. “Don’t think for a bit that with Nuj Tsim here you’ll be able to seek help.”

Hli Nra: “What’s wrong with you?”

Muaj Tsheeb: “I should ask you that.”

Hli Nra: “No I should be the one. Left and right you use Nuj Tsim’s name against me. He’s nothing than a stranger to me now because what I thought I knew about him was nothing; everything we had together was a mere lie. What you did earlier, don’t do it again. Don’t use me as a puppet to wound him because it will be useless.” She knew of his intention. “There’s no one I look forward to Muaj Tsheeb. Do you see a bunch of people around me? Where? Where do you see them? Where are they? Has anyone come to claim me at all? I’m asking you. Huh? I’m alone in this world, no one wants me. Her eyes were beginning to fill up with water. “Every night the moonlight shines upon the world ever so much that the people around her take her for granted and doesn’t appreciate her presence. Being a person who has nothing to live for this is my only purpose in life, to work off others debt and to be a doll for others to vent their anger on. I can’t expect anything in return because this is faith.” He gazes at her and the full moon that glimmer behind her in the far distance and begun to realize how lonely her life was just like the lonely moon in the sky. For Muaj Tsheeb to remind her she was a needle in the haystack that no one cares about made her heart wrench.

Muaj Tsheeb: “By telling me this, you want me to express my sincere sympathy you?” He tries to suppress his feeling, not wanting to appear weak.

Hli Nra: “I don’t know what I’ve done to you the past life to have to pay my share of suffering this life time. No matter what is it, I will not use any dirty tactics, I will be sure to pay it fully and fairly so I can finally be free of debt. So I don’t mind if you yell or hit me, do it to your satisfaction. I want to thank you for feeding my purpose in life.” She closed her eyes and took deep breaths to hold back her emotions. By now Muaj Tsheeb was beginning to have mix feelings. “My parents probably knew I was a bad omen that’s why they left me during my first year on earth. My misfortune is like a disease, everyone who comes close to me is afraid to catch it there fore they abandon me left and right.”

Though her eyes were closed he saw a tear slowly flow down her cheek. He felt uncomfortable seeing a women shet tear infront of him for the first time. He raised his hand attempting to wipe her tears but he stops himself. He started to feel sorry for her but didn’t want to appear weak. Besides the person who she wants to console her was probably not him, the person who hurt her.

It has a been a few minutes that Hli Nra heard the crickets chirping and a slight cool breeze brush against her. When she opens her eyes she was alone. She didn’t know when Muaj Tsheeb had left. She looks in the distance where she came from as she wiped her tears away. Finally she took her bags and turn around heading back to the workers shelter. The moon was up ahead of Hli Nra as she walks toward it.

Muaj Tsheeb had come home and didn’t talk to anyone he just headed straight his bed. On the door step of the house, Aunt Mee notices his shoe had mud stain on the bottom sole.

Hli Nra enters the workers shelter area and went to her room and was greeted by a few girls who headed outside to warm themselves near the fire place. She got her stuff ready to go take a shower. After shower she headed back to her hut. But around the corner she heard some chatting and mentioning of her name, so she stops herself and listen as they gossip.

Girl 1: “I wonder what kind of spell does Hli Nra used to get Muaj Tsheeb to come here for the past few days.”

Girl 2: “A person who’s an orphan has no real parents to support them. Of course they have their own dirty tactic. This is how they work to support their own living expense by deceiving the wealthy.”

Girl 3: “I don’t think she’s like that, if she really wants money she wouldn’t be working here like this.”

Girl 2: “You just don’t know. Our boss, Muaj Tsheeb is tough to convince, what I think is that Hli Nra is smarter than she appears. Look just over working herself for a few days had already won the sympathy of Muaj Tsheeb. He already took her out today. I bet you, not long she’ll be sleeping in a pile of money.”

Niam Lwm Xeeb: “Hey Hey. Stop gossiping here, go put out the fire and head to bed all of you.”

Hli Nra headed inside her empty hut. She sat on her bed and look out the window at the moon that shined so brightly that night.

Hli Nra: “Ntuj es lub me hli nra (oh my dear, moonlight/bright moon), why do you shine so bright yet your brightness is not powerful enough to lighten up my the darkness in my life.”

Muaj Tsheeb leaned on the railing of his balcony. That late night the cold air blew over gently as he gazed into the horizon for a long while. He had opened his bedroom and welcome the moonlight that night. Not many realized the significant of the moon’s presence. If there was no moon light shinning down people would walk in darkness. He didn’t realize this until Hli Nra pointed it out how precious the moon was to the people living on earth. He also realizes his fault for why Hli Nra didn’t speak to him all day.

Both watches the sky as a star above starts flickering in their sight, it was as if they were looking at each other. Hli Nra’s heart lightens up after seeing the starlight knowing someone’s acknowledge her presence, she’s not really alone. She pulls away all her stress went to sleep.

The next morning Niam Lwm Xeeb cautious the workers and told them Muaj Tsheeb was having a person do an assessment test for all workers so for everyone to be aware as Muaj Tsheeb’s spy can be anyone.

Within the week Hli Nra did her routines without having a visit from Muaj Tsheeb. All went will but the gossip of the workers was beginning to make her feel uncomfortable and deteriorating her energy. She was finish cooking lunch for the workers when Niam Lwm Xeeb told her to pack a bag of food and give it to an elderly guy by the main road.

Hli Nra approached the main road but didn’t see an elderly man only an elderly women sitting in a van with the door slid open.

Hli Nra: “Excuse me Aunt (phauj), have you seen an uncle here? Niam Lwm Xeeb asked me to bring him these food.” She didn’t know it was Muaj Tsheeb’s pog.

PhoneO_5

sarNie Oldmaid
I wish Hli Nra would've kept her silence to show him that she could keep her promise. Oh well, I'd probably be angry too with all those accusations and frustrating comments! Thank you for the update :)

nancyvang

sarNie Adult
He unconsciously gave her permission to talk.

"Keep your lips seal for the whole day, unless I tell you to speak, or I’ll drop that offer.”

But you're right PhoneO_5, I think I should change that.

dancy

sarNie Oldmaid
Thank nancy for the update. I need to caught on this story. I'm so busy lately haven't have time to read this story.

kab hnub

sarNie Hatchling
Thanks for the wonderful update. I'm glad I caught up with the fic :D

I'm so happy Txhaj's in the US right now. I'm crossing fingers for him to come down to CA, cuz i want to meet him in person.

nancyvang

sarNie Adult
Thanks everyone.

Kah Hnub, if he does come to Cali it's kind of sad for me being that I use to live there and he never came but now that I moved out of that state he's going to the New Year there. lol. But all is well, he's in MN. But I'll be too busy to meet up with him, beside I don't have any connection or relative in the industry that I can get a back stage pass... :scratchhead2:

I'll have my finger cross for you. Hopefully he goes to Cali for the Hmong New Year there.

PhoneO_5

sarNie Oldmaid
He unconsciously gave her permission to talk.

"Keep your lips seal for the whole day, unless I tell you to speak, or I’ll drop that offer.”

But you're right PhoneO_5, I think I should change that.
No need to change it. She did the right thing & spoke out because he was saying things that aren't true. Excited to read the next part :p