Marrying within ones ethnicity

Kina

Dubsteppin'
I have come to the recognition that most people marry within their own ethnicity. Nothing is "wrong" with it in terms of the marriage itself. But the results are unjustified. If you analyze it carefully, discrimination [can] occur because of marriage within the same ethnicity, which can lead to racism, but of course, it doesn't occur solely because of this experience---but this is the subject of this topic.

Reasons as to marrying your own people of the same cultural background may seem a sufficient enough explanation, but is it really enough? Thai men wants to marry only Thai women. Desi men wants Desi women. Arab men wants Arab women. Mexican men wants Mexican women. And the list goes on and on. It is understandable that marrying ones own race/nationality will detract the issue of cultural shifting/shock, but it isn't logical enough. Can you see how discrimination can arise? It's from the unappreciation of other people's culture, whether it be the individual self or the individual's family.

Let's get personal besides viewing it in a global outlook. My aunt was going to marry a Hispanic man. Even though he made a moderate/below-moderate amount of money, his character and qualities are representations of eligible and content marriage and suitable husband. Unfortunately, my aunt chose to marry a Laotian/Thai man. He was a nice man but had a heart of stone and his role of being husband isn't worthy. He is known for belittling people, subtly. She regrets marrying him and can not divorce because now they have a child together.

That, my dear Sarnie brothers and sisters, was an example of the downfall of same racial/national marriage. Not all ends up this way, and I am not speaking about happy or sad post-marriages but about the possible outcome of what it can and has already began to proceed towards racial discrimination.

Who agrees? Any comments or opinions? Any pros or cons towards it?

Muddie Murda

smile...
I know what you mean when it causes racial issues.

One lady I know, she banned her daughter from coming to her house because her daughter married an African American. Her mom even did some i dunno, religious stuff so that when her daughter dies, her daughter's spirit wouldn't be able to enter the house. That's just PLAIN EVIL. Damn...

I just hope the guy I marry will understand my culture.

The world's changiing just a little bit. The new generations, they are dating and marrying out of ethnicity...

The problem though, is the old generation, refusing to accept this change.

S

sunflower

Muddie MuRda said:
I know what you mean when it causes racial issues.

One lady I know, she banned her daughter from coming to her house because her daughter married an African American. Her mom even did some i dunno, religious stuff so that when her daughter dies, her daughter's spirit wouldn't be able to enter the house. That's just PLAIN EVIL. Damn...

I just hope the guy I marry will understand my culture.

The world's changiing just a little bit. The new generations, they are dating and marrying out of ethnicity...

The problem though, is the old generation, refusing to accept this change.
[post="56938"][/post]​

*coughs roughly* muddie.. your parents will love me.. :sweat: ;)

aniwaise.. here is a story that happened not long ago in my family... my older sister married a laotian guy. they got married and had a kid.. my parents were happy that she married an 'asian'... after 3 years they got a divorce.. my parents weren't so happy, but they still had an 'okay' relationship with my sister. than my sister moved out and started to date an african american guy... and my parents weren't so happy about it.... than my sister got pregnant with the african american guy... and they aren't married.. my mom was not happy at all.. my dad was starting to accept the guy because he was pretty cool.. when my sister gave birth was the first time in 6 months that my mom went to see my sister and allowed her back into the house.

my mom claims that she got mad at my sister because she got pregnant when she wasn't married yet, but i know what my mom really felt... i'm not trying to talk shit about my own parents.. but i really was upset with my mom and dad at that time for treating my sister's african american boyfriend that way. i guess my parent's outlook towards the guy changed when he stuck in there and took care of my sister and his kid and my older neice. i don't think racial discrimination will go away, as long as we are human.. we will discriminate.. even if people don't show it, they think it...

my parents are pretty understanding since that incident... but i know that if i ever brought home an african american guy... i would be given the stare, even if not told in words.... their facial expression shows it all.. they want me to stay in the 'asian' group, preferably a thai guy. sometimes i want to bring home a non asian just to piss them off, better yet i should bring home a female partner. man, i will be kicked out of the house before i can even put my shoes on -_- .. it's sad that my parents think like that.

iluvnumandoil

sarNie OldFart
my parents are just now understanding society as today,they been livining in the states for almost 30yrs now so they're catching on (not that im dating outside mr race) but its gonna take many generations to accept.

S

sunflower

Muddie MuRda said:
Bring me home sunnie, bring me home....
[post="57019"][/post]​

you don't have to tell me twice.. for you muddie murda.. i will do anything.... let my family ban me from stepping on their property... i will not leave your side... :loool: bah muddie bah :loool: ... i'm scared seunghee is gonna kick my bootie if i take you home... :eek:

KawaiiTennyo

THE KT OF SARNIES
my older sister (now 30 years old) got married and had two kids with an asian guy and then she got divorced well more of like left him (he treated her wrong).. she got married to a mexican guy he's look more white than mexican my parents was NOT happy at all now my sister is trying to get pregnant and have 2 more kids with the mexican guy well my brother in law now haha.. but now they all have to accept it.. but yea.. asian parents are racist!! hahah against african americans and hispanics .. thank god my bf is white/vietnamese.. hahah my dad wouldnt talk to me.. >.< i dont think my parents have problem with different ethnicities but they have to be the same race or white.

u00htg2

sarNie Hatchling
Umm. . . I'm Lao married to a Czech guy. When we first started dating, my parents freaked out. They were even talking of sending me to live with my aunt so I'll be far away from him. But through the years, I think they came to accept him, as long as he makes me happy.

Don't let ethnicity determine who you will be with. Be with the person whom you love and who loves you and treat you well.

vilasaeng

sarNie Juvenile
I believe that the "older" generation tend to view marriage as culture presevative. Marriage out of your own race would mean changes and some "older" generation couldn't accept and won't accept the culture differences.

For example if I a Christiant are in love with an Islamic person. I would have to change my belief to Muslim. If I won't change there MIGHT NOT be a marriage because

1. The bride/groom side won't accept me. Because according to their belief a wife/husband must revert to their beliefs.
2. My parent won't accept the bride/groom because he/she won't convert into Christianity.

Another one is. If I'm a Laotian/Hmong marry to a Europe guy/girl. I'll have to changes the way I eat and live. Like some Laotian/Hmong's family we don't wear shoe in the house. We tend to preserve eating on the floor.

But I think that most people who won't accept out of race marriage are afraid of changes. And they just refuse to accept.

My cousin marry to a Mexican guy and they live happily together for about eight years now. Even the one who marry with the same race live happily.

I think it's depend on who you pick to live with. Some are jerk and some not.. It's also depend on attraction.Some might be attracted to white and some to black.
Some like chicky eyes some like big eyes.
Some like tan skin and some like ivory....

u00htg2

sarNie Hatchling
I'm a girl married to a European guy. Yes, there are definitely changes. But every relationships takes work and compromise. And love. I make a lot of my favorite spicy food and I've had some of his favorite Czech food. So, the result is that now he eats spicy foods and I'm open to other foods before beside Asian foods. But it's all worth it when there's lotsa LOVE. We don't wear our shoes in our house and he definitely knows not to wear shoes inside the house of any Asians we're visiting. So, yes, my world and perspective have definitely expanded and changed since I've known him. And I like to think he feels the same way.

sugar

เฟริสค่ะ
My family is like all mixed up, all of my cousins are 1/2 this or 1/4 that, no one is full. :lmao: I don't think my parents would have a say into whom I choose to marry, well they didn't marry within their ethnicity either so <_<

dfemc

sarNie Adult
yeah interracial relationships and marriages are hard. but so is every relationship. however i guess the cultural and religious barrier can make things even more tougher. my family is a huge product of all that. so we've gone through generations of challenging this idea with the grandparents and great grandparents and so on. but it still doesn't make it easy. some grandparents yank at u to do this, other ones want u to do that...sometimes they don't think u are enough of this culture or enough of that culture. that fear runs through their spine the moment u simply think differently as any rebellious teen or adolescent may do on the whole.

at the same time, i have really good friends who are indian (from india) and thier parents are completely adamant/strict on having them marry within their own ethnicity, as many of the other parents u all have mentioned. and it's utterly difficult for them to date or go beyond that ethnic realm.

it's hard. it's hard either ways and all around. i really don't know what to say. it all sux. personally, i'm trying to figure a lot of this stuff out myself. my parents are open about these things (dating outside the race, but that's beecause it's been in my family long enuf, and it's what they all did themselves), but at the same time, they're closed off about other things. and u just simply have to continue challenging thier notion of what is "normal" and what is "acceptable" without allowing ONLY THEM to decide what is or is not a part of "YOUR CULTURE".

culture is dynamic...we just have to come to terms to realize that. it's always in constant reformation and evolution. it is only what you DEFINE of it. yes there are societal pressures, but the point is to simply acknowledge as so and still DEFINE IT and CLAIM IT as your own, before u try to get anyone else to start believing what is acceptable and what is not.

ps. there is no such things as a "pure" race. no one is PURE or 100% anything, because this world is a pan-continental diaspora...but if only some parents would understand that. though there's no problem on my end, i just hope that the family on the other end of my relationship can simply understand that. -_-

KawaiiTennyo

THE KT OF SARNIES
u00htg2 said:
Umm. . . I'm Lao married to a Czech guy. When we first started dating, my parents freaked out. They were even talking of sending me to live with my aunt so I'll be far away from him. But through the years, I think they came to accept him, as long as he makes me happy.

Don't let ethnicity determine who you will be with. Be with the person whom you love and who loves you and treat you well.
[post="57061"][/post]​
so how was the wedding!?!? how did you set it up!??! i know if i marry imma marry someone that's NOT the same ethnicity as me ahhah so it's kinda hard to think about the ceremony.. :rolleyes:

dfemc

sarNie Adult
but no sweat...i don't beleive in marriage =D

KawaiiTennyo

THE KT OF SARNIES
sugar86 said:
My family is like all mixed up, all of my cousins are 1/2 this or 1/4 that, no one is full. :lmao: I don't think my parents would have a say into whom I choose to marry, well they didn't marry within their ethnicity either so

Kina

Dubsteppin'
i say...marrying another person who is different gives u the opportunity to learn a lot of cultural aspects of theirs, even it is hard to cope with and hard to get used to at first---but with both of the two's love and understanding towards each other, it will, in time, be okay. my god-sister is laotian and she married a caucasian marine captain. at first, her mother was ok. i dont know about his side of the family but her's was ok with it bcz her parents thought that he had money so go head and marry him, even though theyre going to marry bcz they really loved each other. theyre marriage are really crystal kool hehe. they get to travel all over the world.

marrying another different person outside of urs gives u that opportunity to explore, not just stay cooped up within ur own. u get to open ur mind to other their culture and their food. its just a sense of appreciation and great understanding off of one anothers culture and traditions.

bugsy

sarNie Adult
marrying someone, whether inside or outside of one's own ethnicity is their own choice. it's good either ways. some people are just attractive to a certain type of race but the least they could do is be openminded about others. I agree with all of ya on how parents (im not saying all) are strict on not letting their kids marry outside of their own race. But...think about it...it's how they were raised up just as how we were raised to be openminded about other races. Some parents are more understanding and allow it ...but those that dont....it's part of how they were raised up, therefore, it's part of who they are. Yes, sometimes, the actions and words they take to prevent this are unnecessary and mean but we gotta understand it from their point of view too. BUT, despite which race you belong to, there ought to be some people who are actually racist. And to those people...they piss me off. Even when you try to understand them. But...alot of times, or least in cases I've encountered...parents refuse to let their kids marry off into another race are in fear because of change...(like someone mentioned earlier) .. plus of fear itself. Some probably haven't been exposed to other races as much as us younger generations, so they're scared to become part of what they dont know. Thats why all those couples who are of different races and get married and have stuck through it together and successfully won the hearts and acceptance of their parents ... those people make me believe in hope for a better tomorrow. And not even this...just people with friends or watever with another race....those people...i like. ^_^ But marriage outside of one's culture shouldnt be pushed either. There are some people who choose to stay within their race, not because they are prejudice or racist, but because they just find men/women of that race more appealing. And that's perfectly fine too. Like me, i dont know why but im just more attracted to asian guys when it comes to a relationship, but i am openminded about other races.... We're all only people here. For example, I do find guys in other races to be attractive too but im more attracted to those of my own. And I have tons of friends who have interest and even dating people of other races, and we all have a great time together. As for parents, times ARE changing and alot of them have become more accepting. As for people who discrimminate because they are racist, well...we just gotta keep doing what we doing and hope for a bette future...it's getting closer though.

Marrying others from different culture/race is good to prove prejudices and discrimmination wrong. But we should not do so just to become a melting pot. We shouldn't all get married to another person from another race just so later on we could all turn into one shade of gray so there wouldn't be any more discrimmination. I say we should marry others from different backgrounds so that this world could better understand each other and celebrate each other together. We don't need to become one shade of gray, I'd rather we all become shades of the rainbow....all different but all together, side by side. We should be celebrating our cultures...not assimilating them.

kying89

sarNie Hatchling
i think if you're going to marry a guy/girl from a different ethnic you should know their religion, culture, and background first so when you get marry you won't complain about it...
i know my two guy cousin dislike hmong girls when they're hmong and they're dating chinese and thai women...their parents aren't okay with it...
my parents would disagree with me marrying another ethnic even if he was part of "asian"....but i think if we're meant to be, then they can't do anything about it...
for me, if i could marry anyone i would want to marry a japanese guy..hehehe
oh and i have a cusin who's married to a korean guy and already have two kids...his mom and grandmother dislike my cousin...and this one time, they almost got into a fight...i was like wow, they are sooo weird...but i think cuz his mom they're still oldies in the old days (they lived in Korea, so they still take after the old religion and tradition)so they're expecting their son to marry someone from the same ethnic....but i think they're too rude, it's not their life so they shouldn't bother them too much..they're like always up in their nose....
i also heard a story about a hmong girl who was dating a white guy...and she got pregnant so she went to live with her boyfriend..but his mom wouldn't accept and so they drove the daughter to her house..when the parents came out, the white family started to call them names and whatnot..like you hmong people are stupid, we don't want our son to marry your daughter...when i heard that i feel somewhere deep inside me hate white families...beside at that time i have a crush on this white guy (i still do), i'm thinking i will never get the chance....
but if you feel like he's the right guy then go for it!!~

~Sandy~

Memories with Oil from his U.S. Tour in Nov 2009!
I'm Laotian and engaged to a Mexican. We have a 3yr old together and also 5 months pregnant with our second. If my dad was still alive, in the beginning he might not approve of him. But im sure he'll be fine with it cause he would see that this Mexican is sticking by me and going no where. Before my fiance though, i was dating a Laotian guy, we got engaged the Laos traditional way and then had a small traditional wedding. But this guy would beat me and cheated on me. Thank god no kids were involved. My mom saw the things I went through and said just find the right guy, no matter if he's black/white/or brown. So now, im happily engaged (saving up for a wedding) to this wonderful Mexican that gave me a beautiful family. OH yes, my mom loves him. Anything she needs done, first person she'll ask for is him. She goes to him more than she does my brother.

bugsy

sarNie Adult
I'm glad to hear that, ~Sandy~. Best wishes to you and your fiance and kids!! *Sigh* People like you make me smile...^_^ . Kekeke...imma dork. dont mind me. :rolleyes: