Oklahoma

YM_gurl

sarNie Oldmaid
Is anybody in here from Oklahoma? or visit there before?

my parents are planning to move there.. is there a lot of
hmong peeps over there? and is it nice over there? I mean what's over there... Tell me anything you know.. if u do you know.. :)

i've live in california.. all my life and now my parents are
planning to move there..i'm going to miss my friends, relatives, california and much more... gosh! to me, oklahoma sounds so country sided..
and seems like it's a mae-ka dawj state...

slee00

sarNie Adult
Ym_Gurl...

Hi....I am from Oklahoma...I live here 10 years now...previously lived in Lodi, CA....

I wonder why Hmong people are suddenly so crazy about moving to Oklahoma these days...I think there are just copy cats.... It is no different than California. I agree that the housing is affordable if you are planning on buying a home...but the rest of them are the same... Tulsa is a nice clean city....not really big...but clean...there is nothing much to do here...if you want big shopping malls or great restaurants...will have to drive to either Dallas or Missouri... Country? yes and no...if you like country...you can get a place out in the country..about 15-20 mins from town...and if you like city,,,stay in Tulsa...dont let your parents move to Arkansas...then you will really be isolated and really really country...there is only 2 vietnamese markets in town...I usually drive to Oklahoma city for my grocery or rent my lakorns....about 2 hrs drive...In Oklahoma, everyone here works...including my three sons!!! no one is on government assistance at all....I still like the presteious schools in California...I dream of sending my sons to school there later...Most popular schools is not in Oklahoma, I can tell you that...

But if you prefer a quiet and peaceful life...Tulsa is a good place to be...ask me anything...if you still have any questions.
Just dont get stuck in Arkansas....like many hmong people did there...I have visited many families there and I feel so sorry for the children...They get stuck in the country....surrounded by miles and miles of trees...and the nearest store is 45 mins away...and that is WAl-Mart!...all they can think about is how they can get away from there...this really kill their dreams!! they cant go anywhere because they dont have a car...and you should see the emptiness and hopelessness in their eyes...They longed to socialize with others...

Sometimes, I wonder why so many parents still think they want to live like they once did in Laos...I dont think the kids will survive...I know if I move to somewhere like that...my kids will go mad! perhaps some parents need to change their trends of thoughts??? not to be criticizing any parents here...but this is just my thoughts on the subject...

anyway,,,if your parents want to move here...it is not a grand place like CA but it can grow on you...It grew on me.....Now I vacation in CA< FL MO and GA and MN....but I like it here...

(please dont let some of my words discourage you) I am very active with the youth groups here and most of them are quite happy here too...almost everyone I know are in college, working, or planning on going to college....not many early marriages....not that I know...and here in Oklahoma,,,I know everyone (well, except the newcomers)...that's how small our hmong community is....

YM_gurl

sarNie Oldmaid
Thank you so much slee00...:)

Ey,Tulsa is where my parents are planning to move to.. Great!
but at least it won't be as bad as Arkansas...those poor kids..don't know what's out there.. :(

Whoa! so everyone knows everyone huh? small hmong community than.. wow! :( i really think i do not want to come there.. oh no.. :(

Oklahoma, don't have the best schools? I'm in college... does that count? GREAT GREAT GREAT!

So do you guys even have a hmong new year over there?
any hmong stores? that sells cds and movies and all that great stuff.. any asian stores? oh my.. i'm going crazy here.. what about shopping malls and stuff.. like that.. is there any? well, i mean.. how far is it? oh my...

i think i need to have a talk with my mom... :(

Sorry, slee00 for going nuts in here.. but thanks again.. :)

slee00

sarNie Adult
There are OSU, TU, and Norman and some community colleges.

Yes, everyone knows everyone here...200 hmong families up until last year...maybe more so now since the Hmong are moving here daily. Yes, we do have a Hmong New year...its not that grand...only one day..and usually held on Thanksgiving weekend...I hosted the new year twice....I hosted last years too...it was a good turn out...

We have a mall...and some outlets...but if you want bigger malls it is in Dallas TX...4 hrs drive/or OKC...we only have one hmong store...and no body go there because the owner makes everything so high..I mean the price is twice as high as in the regular store...videos and lakorns? I order mine online or have my friend from OKC (she has a store there) sent me...I plan on open a video store in Tulsa soon... as soon as I can get my place...I have enough video to open my own store.!!! maybe you can come and help me!!!

YM_gurl

sarNie Oldmaid
oh kewl.. you guys got a new year over there!!! :) how nice..
i heard it snows there.. does it? so new year is only one day?

oh mann... but that's good..cause here.. you know.. we have it everywhere.. orville, marysville, sacramento..and etc...it gets boring once in a while..

even better, you host the new year! :) (thumbs up)

oh my.. 4 hrs drive to the mall? that's crazy.. hahaha..

Are you serious? hahaha..only one hmong store and nobody goes there.. wow! price must be very high...

but you know for some reason.. hmong stores tends to have higher price.. well, not only hmong stores..but asian stores..:)

kewl!! :) you're planning to open your own video store? that's so kewl.. this past year, since i love watching thai movies and love listening to thai songs.... I was thinking of doing something like that too.. but i'm still.. what my mom say.. "young" hehe.. and of course no $$ yet.. but kewl..and yeah, maybe i can help you out.. that will be fun.. :) So thanks again Slee00... maybe it won't be as bad i thought.. :) right? hehehe..

slee00

sarNie Adult
It snows maybe once or twice a year...if we are lucky we will get a few inches..but it melt pretty quickly/just be ready for some humid weathers and sun...it rains quite a bit too... so bring your raincoat!

as for lakorns, let me tell you a story,,, I was at a party last year and I was making polite conversation with this hmong woman who just moved here from CA/ we were talking about different topics for about an hour when I ask who she was...and she told me who she was...then she asked me who I was...I told her my name ( Niam..Wang fong Lis) and she said" Oh you are the lady who loves watching Thai lakorns@!..." I was so shocked that I am so well known for watching Thai lakorns! now she became my regular customer! lol

By the way...here is my email address...contact me anytime when you get here...I will help you and your family get settle down....u know like finding houses, stores...insurance...lakorns!! lol ok

Slee859915@aol.com

yajvaj

sarNie Adult
oh ur so nice slee00...i have some friends who moved there too...

leek18

sarNie Adult
well me too, my parents say that we are going to move to oklahoma and yeah same city we are going to be in tulsa, where our grandma and grandpa lived. i went to oklahoma, tulsa once and it was ok and yeah that was during summer and WHOA!!!!!!!! SO DAMN HOT, the weather was so hott over there when it was summer and I really like it over there at oklahoma but I still missed my hometown (sacramento, ca) and yeah i still lived there and i don't want to leave at all but it up to my parents. when we leave sacramento, i have to withdraw from college and start a new year in college at oklahoma well also i really like to go to oklahoma city too because it was a city where people go to shopping, right? and also, isn't oklahoma have lots of hmong store because when i went to oklahoma, i never seen a hmong store at all and where is it, isn't there is a hmong store in tulsa because i didn't see any of them when i go to oklahoma. the most thing that i like about oklahoma is swimming because it was hott during summer and if your (the one who post this topic) family are really moving to oklahoma make sure you guys go to swimming at the parks or somewhere that was fun because it was so DAMN HOT OVER THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh yeah when i got there at oklahoma, i thought it was a cold weather because i didn't see sunshine at all and then i went outside and i were like "damn what the, oh my god it was so hott" and the next day i wake up and it was raining and i say "hey it was raining" and then go outside and damn, it was hott and also it was stink too and it was not cold and it was a wierd weather to me

well i'm not sure when us are going to moved to oklahoma but my parents might go to oklahoma this summer vacation to check up some house

slee00

sarNie Adult
the weather is certain interesting here for sure...You just have to make sure you have an umbrella cause u never when u gonna get rain on!

HuabNag

sarNie Adult
My uncle live in Tulsa and he wants my family to move there, but I don't want to because I still want to study. I think california has better education system I mean more universities than any other states and no job which make me go to school and study. Studying is my choice and I enjoy that why I want to stay in Ca, but I agree that Tulsa is a nice place, no air polution like Ca, which is very good for our health.

YM_gurl

sarNie Oldmaid
thanks a lot slee00.. you're very friendly. i will make sure i contact you when i move there sometime this year or next year.. thanks!

~you're known for watching thai lakorns? oh wow! hehe.. :)
what can we say? thai lakorns are #1.. hehe.. :)

Talkin' about thai lakorns..about a year ago.. i watch thai lakorns almost everyday..i watch it so much that when my dad watch t.v...the news.. i would hear thai.. hahaha.. :)

slee00

sarNie Adult
YM_gurl said:
thanks a lot slee00.. you're very friendly. i will make sure i contact you when i move there sometime this year or next year.. thanks!

~you're known for watching thai lakorns? oh wow! hehe.. :)
what can we say? thai lakorns are #1.. hehe.. :)

Talkin' about thai lakorns..about a year ago.. i watch thai lakorns almost everyday..i watch it so much that when my dad watch t.v...the news.. i would hear thai.. hahaha.. :)
[post="108185"][/post]​

Your so funny! I guess that is better than go drink or smoking! If you gonna put a group who watch lakorns and a group who loves party drinking smoking and sxxx together to see which group is more screw! lol

YM_gurl

sarNie Oldmaid
slee00 said:
Your so funny! I guess that is better than go drink or smoking! If you gonna put a group who watch lakorns and a group who loves party drinking smoking and sxxx together to see which group is more screw! lol
[post="108191"][/post]​
really though.. hahaha...
:D

nkaujhmooblauj

sarNie Adult
my parents and all my relatives in sac and marysville are planning to move to oklahoma... tulsa, OK...

i'm never going to get the chance to major in accounting at sac state...

gosh... so that means that all my 3 years of high school taking my technology classes was for nothing...

and imma graduate next year too... i'm supposed to be receiving 2 cords and a medallion for taking those classes...

i guess... i'm never going to get them...

slee00

sarNie Adult
nkaujhmooblauj said:
my parents and all my relatives in sac and marysville are planning to move to oklahoma... tulsa, OK...

i'm never going to get the chance to major in accounting at sac state...

gosh... so that means that all my 3 years of high school taking my technology classes was for nothing...

and imma graduate next year too... i'm supposed to be receiving 2 cords and a medallion for taking those classes...

i guess... i'm never going to get them...
[post="108355"][/post]​

Ask you parents to move after your graduation...this way...you dont have to lose anything...

SweeTie_Dan

sarNie Juvenile
One of my best friends live in Tulsa, Oklahoma and I think it okay because she never complain to me about the place at all since both of us use to live in California...... Slee00 you are awsome, hope u would be able to open a videos store in Tulsa becuase my friend really wanted someone to open an video store there.......

slee00

sarNie Adult
SweeTie_Dan said:
One of my best friends live in Tulsa, Oklahoma and I think it okay because she never complain to me about the place at all since both of us use to live in California...... Slee00 you are awsome, hope u would be able to open a videos store in Tulsa becuase my friend really wanted someone to open an video store there.......
[post="108562"][/post]​

Thank you! I am working on getting a place...so YES I cant wait too!

neena

sarNie Adult
I've visited Oklahoma I think two or three times. My aunty and her family live there in Tulsa too. I think its more peaceful down there because my aunt lives in the a nice neighborhood I guess. My high school friend got married and she moved down there too. I was planning to go back down again this year but my parents are planning to visit Canada again. (My dad is Canadian and he loves the Canadian land, I been there once when I was 3 or 4.) Oklahoma is good though, I guess. I'm from Minnesota and I like it up here more since I was born here.

slee00

sarNie Adult
LOL angelxmdawb....but do come for visits soon too! Atleast get a taste for the oklahoma fever and crazy weather!