Paper Help

juicee

sarNie Elites
okay well i doubt that anyone has seen Tropical Malady or Sad Palard as it is known in Thailand and I have to work it into one of my paper. It's a Thai film, so I just wanted some insight to reinforce my research.

Have you guys ever heard of a folklore that goes a little like this:
Once upon a time, there was a powerful Khmer shaman (or Moa Pee) who could turn into various creatures. he roamed the jungle and played tricks on villagers...a hunter shot the shaman and trapped him in the tiger spirit. and now every night the the shaman's spirit turns into a tiger to haunt travelers...

I was just wondering if anyone has heard any folklore like that? cause i was just wondering if it is an actual folklore or one made up for the movie.

and speaking of folklores...what do jungles, tigers, monkeys, and cows or buffalos usually represent?

so now to Thai movies....i don't really watch thai movies so i don't know too much about them. I know how homosexuals are represented in lakorns but how are they represented in lakorns? Cause the first part of Tropical Malady is basically about a love story between two guys. How many movies deal with this topic? the only movie I could think of that had a gay lead is beautiful boxer - but i never saw it....

Thanks in advance for the help...

JinFX

sarNie Egg
I think wat ya saying about the shaman spirit was a mere made-up story, it's not real. How can that the shaman be so powerful but can get shot by a mere hunter ??? sounds not logical.

Well i guess for tigers in folklore is should represent courage & strength. But i think villagers still see tigers as pests as they tend to prey on their livestocks. I donno about the others.. & i don't watch homo movies sorry :lmao:

jeanie

sarNie Adult
Don't know bout the tale but here's my opinion of homosexuality in lakorns. There's a gay character in 99% of the lakorns I've seen but the portrayal is always stereotypical. You know the flaming, high pitched voiced, pink clothes, lipstick wearing type that's there mainly for comedic relief. Never anything substantial or meaningful, i.e. no love stories, you don't get the manly homosexual, no conflict either in being gay etc.

juicee

sarNie Elites
um, duh! I know the story isn't real. I'm was merely asking if it's an actual folklore or one that was purely made up for the movie.

well as for lakorns, yeah homosexuals are used purely for comedic effects. I was just wondering about their protrayals in movies. i would assume it's the same.

the director of the movie is Thai, but apparently not famous in Thailand, more famous in France. Most likely due to the fact that his films are more avant garde. Ne ways, the movie was okay, it did win an award when it was at Cannes. Well at least it wasn't as bad as his other movie, The Mysterious Object at Noon - now that movie was hard to sit thru...

darvil

sarNie Adult
juicee said:
um, duh! I know the story isn't real. I'm was merely asking if it's an actual folklore or one that was purely made up for the movie.

well as for lakorns, yeah homosexuals are used purely for comedic effects. I was just wondering about their protrayals in movies. i would assume it's the same.

the director of the movie is Thai, but apparently not famous in Thailand, more famous in France. Most likely due to the fact that his films are more avant garde. Ne ways, the movie was okay, it did win an award when it was at Cannes. Well at least it wasn't as bad as his other movie, The Mysterious Object at Noon - now that movie was hard to sit thru...
[post="53423"][/post]​
I've never seen or heard of a serious homosexual movie. I think its safe to say that gay potrayal on movies is also the sterotypical role. I guess you might have a semi-serious film like a beautiful fighter but overall I'm sure it leans on the other side. Also if you watch comedy shows on TV guess where the gay role comes in? Always stereotypical.