Votes: 25 71.4%
  • Buddhism

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other on the list, none, don't care

Votes: 2 5.7%

• Total voters

YM_gurl

sarNie Oldmaid
Hey, just curious what everyone's belief is, it is said there is 22 different religions but i think there is more. Lol
For, Shamanism is missing from the list. :D

Depending what your belief is, what are you practicing/learning today to help what your belief does/do in the community/family?

*For example, i believe in Shamanism and i'm learning how to kill chickens!! lol because Shamanism does a lot
of killing.. especially during jingle bell parties & new years. :D -Just wanna learn something new. im bored. please share.

Here's the list but Shamanism is not on the list. lol

#1 Christianity: 2.1 billion

#2 Islam: 1.3 billion

#3 Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/Atheist: 1.1 billion

#4 Hinduism: 900 million

#5 Chinese traditional religion: 394 million

#6 Buddhism: 376 million

#7 primal-indigenous: 300 million

#8 African Traditional & Diasporic: 100 million

#9 Sikhism: 23 million

#10 Juche: 19 million

#11 Spiritism: 15 million

#12 Judaism: 14 million

#13 Baha'i: 7 million

#14 Jainism: 4.2 million

#15 Shinto: 4 million

#16 Cao Dai: 4 million

#17 Zoroastrianism: 2.6 million

#18 Tenrikyo: 2 million

#19 Neo-Paganism: 1 million

#20 Unitarian-Universalism: 800 thousand

#21 Rastafarianism: 600 thousand

#22 Scientology: 500 thousand

cecilia

Staff member
shamanism is not a religion. killing animals is just a way of exchanging for a healthier life. Shaman are MESSENGER of god -- they are not god. Hmong ppl believe more so of a spiritual thing with shaman help to find the bad stuff but all in all, shamanism is not a religion. By wiki definition, it is more so of a traditional beliefs and practices, which we believes in but at the same time, we also believe in some sort of of thing relating to Atheist.

Just like christian ppl with jesus, there are hmong gods *i will ask my dad for it to share it in here* but for sure, SHAMANISM ain't a religion, just a form of traditional beliefs of the dead/undead world.

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
Buddhism is not a religion either. It's a common misinterpretation that Buddhism is a religion, but it's not. It's more of a philosophy, way of life, teaching, education. Those who practice Buddhism should know this very well.

YM_gurl

sarNie Oldmaid
shamanism is not a religion. killing animals is just a way of exchanging for a healthier life. Shaman are MESSENGER of god -- they are not god. Hmong ppl believe more so of a spiritual thing with shaman help to find the bad stuff but all in all, shamanism is not a religion. By wiki definition, it is more so of a traditional beliefs and practices, which we believes in but at the same time, we also believe in some sort of of thing relating to Atheist.

Just like christian ppl with jesus, there are hmong gods *i will ask my dad for it to share it in here* but for sure, SHAMANISM ain't a religion, just a form of traditional beliefs of the dead/undead world.
Shamanism: the animistic religion of northern Asia, embracing a belief in powerful spirits that can be influenced only by shamans. *Spiritual healing*
*Got that from dictionary.com* lol

And of course, Shaman's are not God & they don't claim to be. lol

Second of all, Shamanism don't believe in God so no, Shaman's don't talk to God but they talk to their Ancestors/Spirits.

And fyi, don't go to wiki to do school work or whatever because it's not creditable. anybody can go on that site to change right infor 2 wrong infor. Go to dictionary.com.

Anyways Shamanism is a religion and i believe in Shamanism. Yepp! :D Representing SHAMANISM

Buddhism is not a religion either. It's a common misinterpretation that Buddhism is a religion, but it's not. It's more of a philosophy, way of life, teaching, education. Those who practice Buddhism should know this very well.
It's said Buddhism is a religion, according to dictionary.com

Buddhism: a religion, originated in India by Buddha (Gautama) and later spreading to China, Burma, Japan, Tibet, and parts of southeast Asia, holding that life is full of suffering caused by desire and that the way to end this suffering is through enlightenment that enables one to halt the endless sequence of births and deaths to which one is otherwise subject.

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
It depends on the people, but there are people who have devoted their life to buddhism as not a religion. I don't consider it a religion.

The people who see Buddhism as a religion are normally people of the modern age. There are some studies that have even stated that buddhism is not meant to be a religion, but the people of the time and day has slowly changed it into a religion.

I don't disagree that it's considered a religion, but it's not suppose to be. Buddha didn't mean for his teachings to become a religion.

Just because the dictionary says it is, doesn't make it one. It depends on the ideals and opinion of the person.

Venerable Master Chin Kung of the Buddhist Educational College in Singapore, describes four different types of Buddhism, of which one is:

"... religious Buddhism. Originally, Buddhism was not a religion, but now it has become one. We can no longer deny that there is a 'Buddhist religion' because everywhere we look, Buddhism is displayed as a religion. Unlike the monasteries in the past which held eight-hour classes per day and provided another eight hours for self-cultivation, today's Buddhist 'temples' no longer uphold such a perseverance of the Buddha's Teachings. Today we mainly see people offering to the Buddha statues and praying for blessings and fortune. In this way, Buddhism has been wrongly changed into a religion."

*Most countries acknowledge Buddhism as a religion now; it kind of upsets me because it's a really sensitive subject lol. I am a buddhist and I don't believe it to be a religion. I believe in god, but I'm still buddhist. It pisses me off when people asks me, "How can you believe in god and buddha? How can you have two gods?" Well, there are many polytheistic religions, but thats beside the point. I don't believe in just one god. I believe in God and so does Buddha. Buddha never denied the existence of gods and deities.

I'm pretty sure if Buddha were alive at this day and age he would say that his teachings are not a religion.

I don't like to use the dictionary for sources for something like this because it deals with opinions and assumptions because there are many different explanation to what a religion is and this is one of them

Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.
*This definition alone would prove that Buddhism is not a religion because Buddha is not a supernatural creator or a divine human being with supernatural powers. He is just a normal being which have detached himself from the world and found enlightenment

I'm sorry if it's such a long post, but I am really into debates about religion and buddhism. I often get into it with people about this subject so nothing personal :lol:

To me buddhism is a two sided thing. Either you are on the side that believes buddhism is a religion or the side that doesn't believe that buddhism is a religion.

There has been so many different polls on this and over 50 percent has always said buddhism is a philosophy and under 15 percent has always said it is and the other 35 has voted both.

aikoden

♥DREAMER♥
Staff member
shamanism is not a religion..

the hmong culture would actually be Spiritism, because we believe/talk to the spirits etc..

i am a christian.. ^_^ but still know my knowledge of the hmong culture.. ^_^

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member

Many people actually doesn't consider Shamanism a religion. Even some Shamanic practitioners says it isn't a religion. Again, I guess it depends on the person's opinion. Some Professors and Doctors have even came out to say that Shamanism is not a religion. I think I will take the word of someone who has dedicated their entire life to studying it. Then again even those Professors and Doctors are basing it off their own opinion and beliefs.

cecilia

Staff member
lol. i know it's not reliable but if there's source provide in the link, it is consider liable to some degree. i don't use wiki much but b/c i'm too lazy to do research on that term that's why i pull that out since most ppl goes by that. whatever it is, SHAMANISM is not a religion. it's just a practice that were use to communicate with the spirit realm. ppl has goes around, misinterpreting that term. Just b/c shaman do communication among the dead and undead, doesn't mean it's a religion. It's just a practice of communication.

Whether ppl admit it or not, the claim is so off. Just b/c DICTIONARY.COM say that it is a religion, doesn't meant that it's accurate in interpretation too. And since religion focus mostly on DIVINE GOD, wouldn't that implied that SHAMANISM is god then (since it is a religion in dictionary.com) --

If you go and ask them shaman, they wouldn't claim this practice as a religion, they'll claim themselves as messenger of god, all in all, practitioner will agree that it's not religion. SO yup, SHAMANISM ain't a religion. (just wanna prove my point here) it's more so of a philosophy like Tina say with Buddhism.

YM_gurl

sarNie Oldmaid
shamanism is not a religion..

the hmong culture would actually be Spiritism, because we believe/talk to the spirits etc..

i am a christian.. ^_^ but still know my knowledge of the hmong culture.. ^_^
Okk. :D Well my older sister did her senior project on Shamanism and she said it's a religion. LOL

Btw, Shamanism is a spiritual belief and if you practice it, its your religion.
a religion doesn't have to be something that you practice, it could be something you look forward to, love or etc.

-Take a "philosophy class," :D it'll tell you. heheee

YM_gurl

sarNie Oldmaid

Many people actually doesn't consider Shamanism a religion. Even some Shamanic practitioners says it isn't a religion. Again, I guess it depends on the person's opinion. Some Professors and Doctors have even came out to say that Shamanism is not a religion. I think I will take the word of someone who has dedicated their entire life to studying it. Then again even those Professors and Doctors are basing it off their own opinion and beliefs.

Ok, that's weird. Because my sister did her senior project on Shamanism and she didn't come across to any books that said Shamanism was not a religion. lol. Information that she found says, Shamanism is a religion. so i guess it depends on the Professors and Doctors, whatever they believe in too.. Because my sister had a very hard looking for information, for there was so little but she did find enough to do her research so lol.. idk. i guess it depends on the person. :D Like me, because i believe in Shamanism. it is a religion to me. :D

YM_gurl

sarNie Oldmaid
lol. i know it's not reliable but if there's source provide in the link, it is consider liable to some degree. i don't use wiki much but b/c i'm too lazy to do research on that term that's why i pull that out since most ppl goes by that. whatever it is, SHAMANISM is not a religion. it's just a practice that were use to communicate with the spirit realm. ppl has goes around, misinterpreting that term. Just b/c shaman do communication among the dead and undead, doesn't mean it's a religion. It's just a practice of communication.

Whether ppl admit it or not, the claim is so off. Just b/c DICTIONARY.COM say that it is a religion, doesn't meant that it's accurate in interpretation too. And since religion focus mostly on DIVINE GOD, wouldn't that implied that SHAMANISM is god then (since it is a religion in dictionary.com) --

If you go and ask them shaman, they wouldn't claim this practice as a religion, they'll claim themselves as messenger of god, all in all, practitioner will agree that it's not religion. SO yup, SHAMANISM ain't a religion. (just wanna prove my point here) it's more so of a philosophy like Tina say with Buddhism.
Lol i was just trying to help you out on that. don't use wiki. lol

Anyways, lmao! Shamanism is a religion. I told the other girl's already & ima tell you too.
My sister did her senior project on Shamanism and it is a religion. She's not a doctor or whatever
you call it. but she did her research. lol plus a religion can be anything. take a philosophy class.
it'll help you.

A religion, if you practice it or believe it. It's a religion. :D

Lol no, Shamanism is not God. lol it's "Spiritual healing," i repeat.

ok, ima stop here because i sure don't believe in God so i want to go any further or else. i will say something offensive here. lmao :D

Btw Yes i can ask any Shaman's but guess what, most shaman's are old and they will not understand so no need. lol

So Yep, Shamanism is a religion. lmao

pink_juliet_kashie

sarNie Oldmaid
my family and I practice "coj dab coj qhua" lol i dun know if i necessary believe every single aspect of it but thats wats i'm practicing...

whoow wat's all this debate bout..i tink even if shamanism isn't "orginally" considered a religion new day and age bring to it a differen't difinition..for example wen ppl say they're being "sarcastic" they actuallie really mean they're being "ironic" but well know wat they mean so watever..same w/ shamanism

i've heard many ppl use different terms for it as shamanism spiritism some even called it Animism...but i say as long as u know wat u believe in the term of it doesn't matter...just say it in hmong instead...lol

but i would like to correct something..no i doubt if i ask shamans they would claim themselves as messagers of GOD or any kind of gods...i tink the correct title for them would be "healers" spiritual healers...

muskawmntawv

sarNie Egg
Ahhh religion, so interesting?

From my own studies and research from previous classes on religion, I have to agree with some of you that Shamanism is not a religion. Many anthropologists states that Shamanism is more of a cultural practice and varies among different ethnic groups. One thing in common with many but not all ethnic groups is the fact that calling on spirits (whether it is your ancestors, or spirits from the environment, etc.), is common in shamanic practices.

For Hmong people, I just find it to be very interesting. Especially because there are so many different varieties of ways to conduct a shamanic ceremony. Very interesting...sometimes, it just blows my mind.

I have encountered many professionals, both Hmong and non-Hmong, that Hmong people practice Animinism. I don't know. I, myself, am not a professional of religion. This is up to debate by the professionals.

YM_gurl

sarNie Oldmaid
Ahhh religion, so interesting?

From my own studies and research from previous classes on religion, I have to agree with some of you that Shamanism is not a religion. Many anthropologists states that Shamanism is more of a cultural practice and varies among different ethnic groups. One thing in common with many but not all ethnic groups is the fact that calling on spirits (whether it is your ancestors, or spirits from the environment, etc.), is common in shamanic practices.

For Hmong people, I just find it to be very interesting. Especially because there are so many different varieties of ways to conduct a shamanic ceremony. Very interesting...sometimes, it just blows my mind.

I have encountered many professionals, both Hmong and non-Hmong, that Hmong people practice Animinism. I don't know. I, myself, am not a professional of religion. This is up to debate by the professionals.

Religion can be something you love, look forward to & etc.

Like i mention already, for example. Your parents can be your religion because you love them.

Therefore, Shamanism is a religion because it is something i look forward, believe and practice. :D

muskawmntawv

sarNie Egg
Religion can be something you love, look forward to & etc.

Like i mention already, for example. Your parents can be your religion because you love them.

Therefore, Shamanism is a religion because it is something i look forward, believe and practice. :D

I understand where you are coming from. But, does it really make sense? I love to eat papaya salad and is one of my all time favorites...does that make it a religion? I do too love my parents, but does that make it a religion? Loving your spouse? Religion?

What I am trying to point out here in a constructive matter, is that, anything "can" be a "religion" in terms of length and subject. There are new religions being established right now because "people" feel that they can not understand and accept those that are already established. Thus, they create new ones.

We all have our opinions here. Religion can be either concrete like cement or an abstract of what we want to or need to believe in. I think I'll stick with my decision and rely on the concrete evidence I have encountered with.

:)

myser

sarNie Egg
Wow. it's quite interesting to read about what you guys share about shamanism and buddhism. I come from a Christian background, so i have not talked about shamanism for awhile now. I have many friends who are still living a life of shamanism as well. I have a friend who believes in buddhism. It's very similar to Christianity, except that there is one difference ~ eternal life.

You don't have to agree with me, but I would like to share what i believe in. =) you can stop reading here as well, if you're not interested in listening to what i believe in. I am a Christian. I believe that Jesus Christ, the Son of God (creator of the whole universe~ there's proof) came down and died for me. He sacrificed His life so that I can live forever in His kingdom. He (God) created you and I to be someone who to make a difference in the world, and that difference is sharing His LOVE to the world.

Throughout my life, I've had many struggles (who doesn't). The only one that was there for me was God, not my family... not my friends... not my teachers... not my bf (at that time). I have done so many BAD THINGS such as drinking, drugs, skipping school, partying all the time....(as parents would say to all their kids)... in which i thought made me unworthy to continue life. I was SO BAD IN PEOPLES' eyes that when i thought about facing anyone, i would be embarrassed and not have the guts to do so. Everybody hated me. I got into fights and never cared how other people felt from what i said about them. Heck, i didn't even think that i would finish school and go to college. my plan was like any other girls plans... party, have fun, hang out with friends until late nights... be a "good girl" in my parents eyes and do whatever they tell me.

Pretty soon, i got fed up with LIFE. NO one understood me (or so i thought)..no one cared...and no one seems to go anywhere in life. I wanted to end it but there was a conscience in me saying, NO..there's so MUCH more to life that you have NO IDEA OF. Wait, wait for me. (i'm not crazy here, haha but at that time...it was a feeling that i was going with)..so i decided to sit outside late at night and look up in the sky. During my time in high school, i met a Christian friend. She invited me to her youth one night, and there i met people who CARED about me. They talked to me as if they have already knew me so many years!!

Eventually i started askin myself...why do i exist? what is my purpose in life...? Is it always to have fun and party? is it to date guys i know who wont make me happy? is it to have sex with with strangers that i just met? Will this make me feel WORTHY? Does it EVER make me feel worthy dresses up like poodles who seems only like pieces of meat that guys want? Have you ever wondered why guys treat you so bad or worthless? Because as girls, we make ourselves SEEM that way...seem like we are pieces of meat to guys who will never take us seriously or better yet, even LOVE US for who we are.

Throughout the experiences of life, i've found ONE man who loves me for me. God, my Lord Savior Jesus Christ. He has never judged me on the way i look, He has always understood me, and He has always answered my prayers (according to His timing). When i got down on my knees and started crying, He was there right beside me to say to me, i ACCEPT you as YOU. Sometimes we don't want to accept Him, because He is the "typical" American Religion, but i disagree. The things that He has shown me in my own life, has proved that He IS GOD ~ Yahweh. When i first ever got on my knees (was balling my eyes out at this time), I didn't know who He was. I didn't know His plans or His purpose for me, but now i do. I said to Him, "God..i know You are out there... i don't know WHO YOU ARE, but i need help. If You help me, i will choose to follow You ALL my life." HELP HE DID. Now, my life has changed SO MUCH...to the point where i never ever thought i would get this far in life. HAHA, along with college..i didn't even think that i could enter into college (esp a good one!!!!).

If you have read this far, I thank you for taking time to listen to what i'm sharing. I have found my purpose in life and have gone FURTHER than i thought i could go. He (God) did not forget me just like you.

He has not forgotten YOU either, yet He's waiting for you. =) Be blessed

myser

sarNie Egg
oh yes, and if you truly seek the background information, Jesus Christ is NOT an American or does NOT come from an American background. =) therefore, it's NOT a typical American religion.

grace and peace to you all =)