Share your first driving experience

smileD

sarNie Hatchling
Okay yesterday was my first driving lesson. My mom friend was the person who taught me. I have no experience what so ever. I never played around with a steering wheel. I figure out my self where are the turn signals. I made it clear to the guy also that I have no experience.

What the man did...okay he asks me to show him the break, pedal, and put the car on drive. I was like okay. Aren't we going to practice on the parking lot first? But no, he let me on the road. I was driving at 20mph on a 40mph street. People were like honking, cursing, and cutting me. He made me drove from 3:30 to 4:30 with the emergency light on the whole time. There was hella traffic. I was scared. I can't believe he just hand me the car and said drive without telling me anything. He took control of the steering wheel most of the time but still...I could have cause some serious accidents. I got home and told my dad that I don't think he ever taught anyone how to drive before and told him where that man led me to. He made me drove pretty far and made me to right and left turns. I just couldn't do it so he steer for me while I step on the gas and break. I want to get a different instructor now and I don't care about the money we have to pay up front from that man anymore. I was so scared.

Then next day lesson was okay. He took me out at 12pm and we came back at 1pm. The street weren't as busy and we didn't go too far away. I got better. I try my best to drive at the speed limit. I did my own right turns now. He try to make me do left turn but I just couldn't pull myself to do it so we were stuck on the intersection for a long time.

So anyone...please give me some tips to being a better driver and tell me if I should drop this guy and go to a professional. Thanks. I don't think I'll learn anything. I didn't even adjust the mirrors so I couldn't see anything behind. He never taught me to do left or right turns and expect me to do it. The only instruction I got from him was to keep my car straight, don't move my heels only my toes, use only one foot, don't swerve to hard, and don't stomp on the break. I fear I might get into an accident.

Thanks!

ChenrukNote

Goddess
Ahhh yes the first driving experience is scary. But that's how it is. If you get a nice instructor they'll take it slowly with you. My friend's first driving lesson was on the freeway and she was terrified as heck lol. My first lesson was at the convention center parking lots, learning how to park and drive around. I got it easy because my dad taught me though. He did yell because I stepped on the gas pedals too hard and almost crashed into the curb lol. Oh and then he told me to parallel park and I'm like dad I don't think we have to parallel park on the behind the wheel's test, but he's like you should learn. Man I was annoyed and I still don't know how to parallel park, so sad.

My biggest problems were learning how to drive at the speed limit, the turns, and changing lanes. It's hard to not go to slow or too fast but don't worry you'll get it if you keep practicing. On the turns, I turned too slow and then just brake lol. As for changing lanes, instead of turning around to look behind, I looked in the mirrors which you're not suppose to do when you first drive in case there are blind spots that you can't see. Do you go everyday with the driving instructor? If not, then go with your parents. It's great practice. Oh and another tip is to practice in the morning when the traffic is minimal. Once you get good, then drive with the traffic so that you won't get nervous when there's lots of cars coming.

I still hate the big trucks on the freeway though. And yes the first thing you should do before driving off is adjust your mirrors in case you're backing out and there's someone or something behind that you can't see. I do agree with his tips of keeping your car straight because if you don't you might drive into someone else's lane and cause an accident. Good luck! Driving is a pain at first but once you get the hang of it, you'll rock!

annea

sarNie Adult
hmmm....when I first got my license, I was toooooo scared to on the freeway...LOL...I also get distracted easily..if something falls on my car or watever, I take my eyes off the road...and this one time, ALMOST hit a parked car....bad..tsk tsk..LOL...but now..Im used to it and have been driving for a while and its fun...u speed a little here n there..and cut lane sometimes when some pisses u off...LOL

Vamkim

sarNie Juvenile
Okay yesterday was my first driving lesson. My mom friend was the person who taught me. I have no experience what so ever. I never played around with a steering wheel. I figure out my self where are the turn signals. I made it clear to the guy also that I have no experience.

What the man did...okay he ask me to show him the break, pedal, and put the car on drive. I was like okay. Aren't we going to practice on on the parking lot first. But no, he let me on the road. I was driving at 20mph on a 40mph street. People were like honking, cursing, and cutting me. He made me drove from 3:30 to 4:30 with the emergency light on the whole time. There was hella traffic. I was scared. I can't believe he just hand me the car and said drive without telling me anything. He took control of the steering wheel most of the time but still...I could have cause some serious accidents. I got home and told my dad that I don't think he ever taught anyone how to drive before and told him where that man led me to. He made me drove pretty far and made me to right and left turns. I just couldn't do it so he steer for me while I step on the gas and break. I want to get a different instructor now and I don't care about the money we have to pay up front from that man anymore. I was so scared.

Then next's day lesson was okay. He took me out at 12pm and we came back at 1pm. The street weren't as busy and we didn't go too far away. I got better. I try my best to drive at the speed limit. I did my own right turns now. He try to make me do left turn but I just couldn't pull myself to do it so we were stuck on the intersection for a long time.

So anyone...please give me some tips to being a better driver and tell me if I should drop this guy and go to a professional. Thanks. I don't think I'll learn anything. I didn't even adjust the mirrors so I couldn't see anything behind. He never taught me to do left or right turns and expect me to do it. The only instruction I got from him was to keep my car straight, don't move my heels only my toes, use only one foot, don't swerve to hard, and don't stomp on the break. I fear I might get into an accident.

Thanks!

Well, first of all you should get someone who is more of a professional at driving. And you must always adjust your rear,left,and right mirrors so that you can see whats behind your car and what next to you, THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT! This will keep you away from hitting someone or something thats walking or running behind your car, especially accidents. Always stay CALM and ALERT all the time! And when your driving always look around of whats ahead of you so that you can see whats coming near and close.

When you are driving on the FreeWay, always keep distance between you and the other cars. Keep about 10-20 or more feet away. This will give you time to slowly break your car when a busy traffic suddenly occured. And if you are driving on a high speed and suddenly, a busy traffic occured and you are close behind a car and if you break your car immediately at that moment then sometime you may tigger your car into a flip-twist. This will cause an accident to occured.

Always remembered that pedestrians always have the right of way at a safe crossing. And before crossing a railroed track always look to your right and left before crossing.

When your going to exit to an intersection always start your light signal when you are at least 50-100 yard from your exiting. This will let the car thats behind you know that you are going to make an exit.

Never give hand signals to pedestrians when they are waiting to cross in front of you, instead make eye contact to them to let them know that they can cross if needed or just wait for them to cross, pedestrians should know when to cross too.. Becuase if you give them hand siganls to cross and if something happened to them then you will be held responsible for them becuase you give them the signal to cross.

Always wear your seatbelt!! And obey the lay at all times. BUT! You know sometimes I see peoples break the law all the time. Haha.

So read this and keep whats good to you. And good luck with your driving.

My first driving lessons were scary. I drove my dads giant van and man it was scary becuase the dum steering wheels keeps on moving to the right and left by itself becuase the stupid allignment of the car got crooked from some kind of bumping from the owner that we bought the van from. But yeah, after I bought my car it was way easier to drive and the steering wheel were so steady, and straight.

ChenrukNote

Goddess
LOL Vamkim, she's just learning to drive, don't tell her about people breaking the law yet.

Oh another thing I hate is when you're driving in one way traffic. Arghhhhghhhhdfhjfhshskahksd.

smileD

sarNie Hatchling
My biggest problems were learning how to drive at the speed limit, the turns, and changing lanes. It's hard to not go to slow or too fast but don't worry you'll get it if you keep practicing. On the turns, I turned too slow and then just brake lol. As for changing lanes, instead of turning around to look behind, I looked in the mirrors which you're not suppose to do when you first drive in case there are blind spots that you can't see. Do you go everyday with the driving instructor? If not, then go with your parents. It's great practice. Oh and another tip is to practice in the morning when the traffic is minimal. Once you get good, then drive with the traffic so that you won't get nervous when there's lots of cars coming.

I still hate the big trucks on the freeway though. And yes the first thing you should do before driving off is adjust your mirrors in case you're backing out and there's someone or something behind that you can't see. I do agree with his tips of keeping your car straight because if you don't you might drive into someone else's lane and cause an accident. Good luck! Driving is a pain at first but once you get the hang of it, you'll rock!
Thank you! :D Yes, I do practice with him everyday. I told him I prefer it to be in the morning but he could only do it during the afternoon. My younger sister now gets him from 11-12pm and I get him from 12-1pm. I wanted it earlier but my sister complained to much so I gave her that time slot. Anyways, atleast it's better than 3:30-4:30pm. Thank you again...it's very helpful!

Well, first of all you should get someone who is more of a professional at driving. And you must always adjust your rear,left,and right mirrors so that you can see whats behind your car and what next to you, THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT! This will keep you away from hitting someone or something thats walking or running behind your car, especially accidents. Always stay CALM and ALERT all the time! And when your driving always look around of whats ahead of you so that you can see whats coming near and close.

When you are driving on the FreeWay, always keep distance between you and the other cars. Keep about 10-20 or more feet away. This will give you time to slowly break your car when a busy traffic suddenly occured. And if you are driving on a high speed and suddenly, a busy traffic occured and you are close behind a car and if you break your car immediately at that moment then sometime you may tigger your car into a flip-twist. This will cause an accident to occured.

Always remembered that pedestrians always have the right of way at a safe crossing. And before crossing a railroed track always look to your right and left before crossing.

When your going to exit to an intersection always start your light signal when you are at least 50-100 yard from your exiting. This will let the car thats behind you know that you are going to make an exit.

Never give hand signals to pedestrians when they are waiting to cross in front of you, instead make eye contact to them to let them know that they can cross if needed or just wait for them to cross, pedestrians should know when to cross too.. Becuase if you give them hand siganls to cross and if something happened to them then you will be held responsible for them becuase you give them the signal to cross.

Always wear your seatbelt!! And obey the lay at all times. BUT! You know sometimes I see peoples break the law all the time. Haha.

So read this and keep whats good to you. And good luck with your driving.
My first driving lessons were scary. I drove my dads giant van and man it was scary becuase the dum steering wheels keeps on moving to the right and left by itself becuase the stupid allignment of the car got crooked from some kind of bumping from the owner that we bought the van from. But yeah, after I bought my car it was way easier to drive and the steering wheel were so steady, and straight.
Thanks a lot especially the tip about not giving hand signals to pedestrians. I never knew I would be liable eventhough I gave them the right away eventhough there was no intersection. Your tips are very helpful and thank you again! :D

summer4ever

sarNie Hatchling
i remember the first time i drive....it was a pretty scary experiance....i dad make me go 60 mph... out in the country road....so after that i was not so scary of going fast....then i start learn how to turn and stuff....well i don't think this help u at all so don't try this..... :)

mizterkevin

sarNie Juvenile
It's all practice and getting to know your car.
"Treat everyone on the street like they're idiots." - Chip (my driving instructor)

I remember I hit a rented red carmax car with four Indian guys in it at the DPS, also known as DMV, when I went to renew my license. I nearly pissed my pants.

Practice practice practice.

AND map out where all the cops hide, those tricky bastards.

little

sarNie Adult
i dont use the freeways i go slowly it took me forever to get the license i have it for 3 years but still suck at it. my adjustments is not right it's hard to tell if i'm close or not i really dont like to drive

cecilia

Staff member
first time i drive? been too long but i remember, i almost crash into our house.
i was so scared, don't know what to do or where to shift, start panicing.
i turn off the engine and pull the key out while the mark was on the D shift.
this little scare freak me out for a month ..

speaking of first experience? how about getting pull over by cops?

i remember, i panic and ran away from the cop b/c i was too scare.
turn out, the cop was after me b/c i had on my high beam lights.
so stupid, i got fine for drug suspicious b/c i ran from him, was fine 300 with 3 points taking off.
i still laugh til these days about this stupid experience. :loool:

smileD

sarNie Hatchling
i dont use the freeways i go slowly it took me forever to get the license i have it for 3 years but still suck at it. my adjustments is not right it's hard to tell if i'm close or not i really dont like to drive
I'm 21 years old and I finally decided to learn how to drive. It seems to me that Southern California public transportation is behind. Now it's kind of a hassle for me to take the bus every where. My mom laugh at me and said "so now you want to learn huh?" My parents hassle me to drive since I was 16 but was too scared. I understand your situation 'little'. I might be in the same position as you later.

first time i drive? been too long but i remember, i almost crash into our house.
i was so scared, don't know what to do or where to shift, start panicing.
i turn off the engine and pull the key out while the mark was on the D shift.
this little scare freak me out for a month ..

speaking of first experience? how about getting pull over by cops?

i remember, i panic and ran away from the cop b/c i was too scare.
turn out, the cop was after me b/c i had on my high beam lights.
so stupid, i got fine for drug suspicious b/c i ran from him, was fine 300 with 3 points taking off.
i still laugh til these days about this stupid experience. :loool:
OMG...I would say how funny but the situation wasn't funny at all though I'm laughing to myself if you don't mind me. I don't understand the whole point thing. I just figure it's bad and if you have like 4, your driving privilege will be taken away if I'm correct.

IRukYou

sarNie Juvenile
lol, thanks for sharing, some of the stories are just too funny. It's like 8 years ago when I first sat down legally to drive with a permit. Can't remember much, but I do remember one of my lesson. The driver ed teacher asked me to drive off campus and onto the highway. Gosh, that was a nightmere, he had to end up driving back. I was turning the curve too early, and not being able to make right turn without going into someone else lane. Then when he told me to drive to a exit 67, I totally missed it. I was very embrassing. LOL good old days.

Don't worry SmileD, you'll be fine. Just stay alert, but don't tense up. :)

*Ice*

sarNie Adult
well i dno i think ma brother taught me on this private land he used to have for racing and crap and i just knew how to do it and everything findin biting points and settin tha gas and crap. i passed my driving in thailand... buh i need to make another licence in the UK so im doing a 5 day course and it hell loads diff and i think tha ppl here they drive ever so crazy on tha rounderbouts so ive got over that tho buh worst parts i think driving stick is biting points setting gas.. stoppin and starting and ofcourse i always driving with tha clutch down well not always buh before i stop or something which i get yelled at by ma instructor alot ... and i can never keep down ma speed its always too fast so i get yelled at again haha and i hate turning right across traffic sucks buh i always lack when i turn i go too wide most of tha time buh oh well haha i havent killed any one YET tho there is a few ppl on ma lists 5555 buh ma instructor shes hella good and funny buh i wasnt scared to drive fast or anythin im more scared of other drivers they can act such idiots and not care about any one else buh them selfs esp in bkk

ijohn

sarNie Adult
this is the comedy thread right---lmao---i never had any formal training i just watched others drive then went out and bought a car and drove---lol--- well there was the time my brother tried and teach me when we both were drunk but that did not help--- you see we lived way out in the country so no fear... i think it was hard at that time cos i was drunk and i started in a standard---lmao... later when i was ready though i bought an automatic and just drove wasn't that hard,,, but another day i bought this new car it was a standard i had to learn fast cos i needed to drive it home from the lot... i made it ok... i've had my close encounters but other than that i think it's more about overcoming fears that are un founded!!! i think the funniest thing is when people buy a car they think is safe cos they already planning for a near death experience---lol---driving is the most rewarding feeling you can achieve for freedom!!!