TABBOO?? yang+yang. etc...

tik_aom_luver

sarNie Adult
sorrie if i spelled taboo wrong. LOl

I know it's been said and told for all our centuries that hmong people, two same last names can never get married or be together. It's against all rules! What do you guys think? I know a lot of ppl who have the same last names and are married with kids or are dating. I personally don't think it's sucha big deal but it is what it is. I don't understand why Hmong has this tradition cause other races with same last names can be together but why can't hmong ppl??? what do you guys thinkk about this situation?? have you ever liked someone of ur own last name?? please don't bash. just opinions okay. Is it wrong to like or be with someone of ur own last name??

pink_juliet_kashie

sarNie Oldmaid
yes I will honestly say it's a bit strange for me...i probably will neva date anyone one w/ my last name..
it's just the way I grew up...now i can't change it...i see every Thao guy as my brother now...plus its a
matter of not disrespecting ur parents...or saving their face so i'll probably neva do it...

KayC

sarNie Hatchling
:mellow: don't think I'll ever date or marry someone who has the same last name as me....in the Hmong culture it is taboo for people with the same last name to marry but if you consider mekas ways....all that really matters is that the two getting married are related too close by blood... you know...the whole genetic stuff

One never know though....what if your soul mate is out there and he or she has the same last name as you but is not related to you at all....or what if he or she was adopted....technically, you're not related....or what if your mother remarried after your father died and your'e not allowed to date someone with the same last name as your stepfather....you never know

Blackheart

sarNie Egg
I don't understand it either. Some people with the same last name are not related but can't marry while some
parents are forcing their kids to marry their aunt or uncle's or whatever side of the family they want you to marry and
I think that's really close related too. Gesh.. But personally since I grew up not marrying my own last name. I just
don't do it even if the guy is hot!ahaha But yeah. Same goes for OGs' making a big fuss about people getting
divorce before. Now you see that happening to every hmong couples.
Just go with your heart and who cares what people think. As long as you're happy. That's all that matters and
something most Hmong people need to work on.

ceda_lee

sarNie OldFart
I think some Hmong ppl are ok with marrying the same last name. I see in a lot of Xiongs. I remember one of my Aunts who's a Xiong, her parents forced her to marry anther Xiong. Also, a distant aunt and uncle of mind who are married are both Xiongs.

But personally, I can't do it. Can't see myself liking someone with the same last name. Can't even think about it.

Mya

sarNie Hatchling
wow. i didn't know that ppl dating the same last name was so common!

i can't picture myself doing that (even if i do think yang's are hella cute!). it's like dating my brother and that doesn't sound very appealing. :huh:

kulyia

RUK
common girls, its not like uve never seen a guy and think hes cute and find out later he has the same last name like you or liked someone even tho u knew and kept it inside..lol..idont really care, ive seen it happen.idont care, as long as its true love.yeah ive heard of gossips and rumors, and curses to those that did it.but idont care, its not like koj EAT somebodys MEAT to eat.com'on, my mom endur it but at times she even welcomes them that dated or has kides of the same last name..we dont have a dad, so you know hmong peoples these days are soo Cruel, like if you dont have a dad almost EVERYONE look down on you..so my mom is really forgiving..like for EG my auntie got marrry, and not alot of people came.the uncles themselve fought to take over the wedding..like WTF.their looked at as my grandparents(her parents), their uncle fought with my dad to take over.soo LAME.cause my dad was the leader..uknoe theres always a leader to lead the group.well yea, its sooo weir and lame these days.they like to fitee so much!.im not reallie tradition, i still do jingle bell at my daddys house, not constantly like before.cause the uncles are getting old.idont believe in taboo, but iwont date the same last name dude like me.i repeat I dont believe in it but i wont do it..=].

nkaujhmooblauj

sarNie Adult
common girls, its not like uve never seen a guy and think hes cute and find out later he has the same last name like you or liked someone even tho u knew and kept it inside..lol..idont really care, ive seen it happen.idont care, as long as its true love.yeah ive heard of gossips and rumors, and curses to those that did it.but idont care, its not like koj EAT somebodys MEAT to eat.com'on, my mom endur it but at times she even welcomes them that dated or has kides of the same last name..we dont have a dad, so you know hmong peoples these days are soo Cruel, like if you dont have a dad almost EVERYONE look down on you..so my mom is really forgiving..like for EG my auntie got marrry, and not alot of people came.the uncles themselve fought to take over the wedding..like WTF.their looked at as my grandparents(her parents), their uncle fought with my dad to take over.soo LAME.cause my dad was the leader..uknoe theres always a leader to lead the group.well yea, its sooo weir and lame these days.they like to fitee so much!.im not reallie tradition, i still do jingle bell at my daddys house, not constantly like before.cause the uncles are getting old.idont believe in taboo, but iwont date the same last name dude like me.i repeat I dont believe in it but i wont do it..=].
when you think someone is cute
that's different from dating and marrying
lol.

mysuper_girlfriend

sarNie Juvenile
I don't understand it either. Some people with the same last name are not related but can't marry while some
parents are forcing their kids to marry their aunt or uncle's or whatever side of the family they want you to marry and
I think that's really close related too. Gesh.. But personally since I grew up not marrying my own last name. I just
don't do it even if the guy is hot!ahaha But yeah. Same goes for OGs' making a big fuss about people getting
divorce before. Now you see that happening to every hmong couples.
Just go with your heart and who cares what people think. As long as you're happy. That's all that matters and
something most Hmong people need to work on.
do you want to have sex with me then?

Fearless

sarNie Adult
I know a lot of people who are married that has the same last names and they have kids and nothing is wrong with their kids... I just think that we just have this tradition for so long that it's embedded in our mind that it is wrong to date our own last name.. I honestly believe that nothing is wrong if we are not blood related.. why is it that we can marry our cousin who is blood related but can't marry someone with the same last name with no blood relation? I think it's even more taboo if you marry your own cousin because I think that's incest. Anyways, I know some people don't really care anymore nowadays as long as they're not blood related. Look at Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese people.. they can marry their own last name... I think that in the future when the older generation die out this tradition is not going to keep up... at least for some people.

kulyia

RUK
when you think someone is cute
that's different from dating and marrying
lol.

nor have i ever said it was the same though..=]..i know its different but com'on, it happens.im not saying its taboo but it has happened before.

YM_gurl

sarNie Oldmaid
-Is it wrong to taboo? yes it is. :D i find it awkward for people who do date their brother and sisters.

-Why does Hmong have this tradition?
Due to a long long longgggg time ago, a brother and sister had a baby with no arms and legs. thats why. :D

im sorry, to people who taboos...i aint hating or anything but i was always told not to date/like and fall for my brothers. so
im not cool when it comes to this topic.:D

nkaujhmooblauj

sarNie Adult
ahaha.
i just asked my boyfriend if he would ever taboo
and he said yeah.. there's nothing wrong with it..
obviously.. we all have different takes on this... lol

mysuper_girlfriend

sarNie Juvenile
ahaha.
i just asked my boyfriend if he would ever taboo
and he said yeah.. there's nothing wrong with it..
obviously.. we all have different takes on this... lol
i guessing he must of heard people saying that having sex with your own last name feels the best! at least that's what i heard... LOL

rukmos

sarNie Adult
Taboo has been done for centuries through history during a time when men rule and no peace to keep the Royal title in the family...Hmong and other Asian Culture with similar beliefs probably had this tradition passed down from generation to generation maybe with a good reason and it got lost as it gets passed through...

I was also brought up to believe that I shouldn't fall for anyone with my last name and ect ect...but I think that it two people truly love each other and are meant to be together then it's okay for Love is stronger than anything Right?

Raindrops

sarNie Hatchling
personally I don't think it's right for two people with the same last name to date/married etc. But different people have different views. And I agree, it's a bit weird that two unrelated people with the same last name should not get married because it would be taboo, yet it's okay for first cousins to marry if they don't share the same last name. Personally for me, any of my first and/or second cousins are like brothers and sisters to me and anyone who share the same last name with me are like brothers and sisters to me, so I wouldn't condone either same last name relationships and or first/second cousins relationships.

But I do know individual with the same last name who has gotten married. In college I know of a Vang girl who married another Vang guy, and the thing is that they are actually pretty closely related too because they share the same great-grandfather. A lot of people were not happy about their relationships and talked a lot of shit about their relationship. In the hmong culture it's a taboo to marry someone with the same last name even if non-related, but even bigger if same last name and related. But you know what, love knows no boundaries, and love is blind, so if two people really love each other enough and do not care what others will think or say about them then i guess it's their right to be with each other, even though like I said, I personally wouldn't agree with it.

Fearless

sarNie Adult
If that story about the brother and sister was really true then we're all from the same baby so we're all related then..lol... there's like millions of Hmong people out there you can't possibly be related to every person with the same last name.... some people are just afraid to do the unexpected... I know in some cultures they prefer to have marriages in between the families... I don't know.. I just did a lot of thinking after talking to some of my Vietnamese friends and Korean friends... and they said there's nothing wrong with marrying a person with the same last name just as long as they're not blood related... I know some people who are married with the same last name and they have kids and nothing is wrong with their kids so I just wonder is it really wrong and is it really a sin? I don't know.. when I think about it I don't think it's wrong.. I just think some people think it's wrong in their minds because it's been a tradition for so long and we've all been told never to date or marry our own last name... but don't you guys ever open up your minds and wonder about it? Okay don't bash me alright and say that I'm gross... I'm just wondering why our culture thinks like that and have that tradition when other cultures don't have a problem with it... I'm not trying to tell you guys what's right or what's wrong... but just what I wonder and feel.. you don't have to agree with me. Everyone has their own opinions and how they feel.