Thailand Safe?

t0nz

sarNie Juvenile
well thammasat is more concentrated on the buisiness/lawyer/english/etc side while mahidol is more concentrated on the medical field. Both are one of the top while chulalongkorn is like the most prestige in thailand. It's good in every major i believe. ABAC is very good for business but it's easy to get in and i heard its hard to graudate from there. so yeah good luck have in in thaialnd cus i wnated to study abroad in mahidol but my parents said its too far and no one will be able to drop me off. lol.

gurlie

sarNie Egg
hey fan..i'm just going for a semester (fall 07) then i should be coming back to the United States to finish my business degree....i really want to go but i haven't told my parents..lets see how that goes first...

noungning

Heartless
i went to school in thailand before a few years ago and i'd say i didn't really like it. waking up super early really doesn't cut it for me. especially to beat traffic. it took an hour to get to my school that was only a few blocks away. but that was when they didn't have the skytrains yet.

as for college, i have a few friends attending ABAC, and Mahidol International. to be be honest, from looking into International programs at the Universities, Rangsit doesn't have that good of a program. Even Chula's program isn't as good. One of the best International colleges to attend in Thailand would have to be Mahidol. my friends that have moved from the states that moved to Thailand actually enjoy it better there and the education is equal to America.

but as for a foreigner going to school there, you would be able to understand things at school and maybe even make a few friends that are from the states as well. but i recommend going to school in the states. it's easier.

it's really suggested that you know how to read some thai, and to understand thai. otherwise you will get ripped off. taxis in thailand arent all that safe as well. if it at night you have to get some place and a taxi is the only way, you should travel with a friend that is thai and knows their way around.

i actually suggest you going to thailand first hand and taking a tour of the various international programs. my friends that go there actually had no choice to go to college there. they prefer going to school here, atleast here you're able to choose your classes. my friend that attended kasetsart's international program had to take a farming class....yes....a farming class.

so i'd think twice about moving to thailand. for a better education, stay in america. so many people in thailand want to move to america for an education, and you're already here. take advantage over things other people dont.
lol of course they have to take a farming class kasetsart means agriculture, u go to agriculture to learn of or about agriculture, no?

lol as for studying abroad, i was actually going to do the program, study abroad at rangsit university. i've did some research and it was a good school and everything with a good program, but my school wouldn't pay for it for me because it was during the summer so i decided not to go.

after visiting thailand this year, i got to see where the university was because i was heading to dream world but didn't get to go in because it was late!! it was closing so it was just a waste of money. anyway, yeah the campus in in patohmtani, a bit far off from where i was staying in thailand.

as for the safety issue, yes you do get ripped off, but in comparison, it's just basically paying the same price if not less for something we'd pay for in the states. i guess in my case i'm a bit different because i didn't get ripped off much and i've bargain until i've gotten an item for more than less off of what they've asked for lol. an example of ripped off can be thai pays 20 baht for a drink in front of the temple, while foreigners pays 40 baht, comparing thais pay 50 cents for a drink, foreigners pays 1 dollar for a drink. it's about the same price as what we pay at home, if you think it's a heavy rip off, ask someone thai to purchase product on the street for you.

as for traveling with a taxi driver, yes although i speak and understand thai fluently, i am scared shitless of those drivers, because you don't know what's going to happen because you put your life in their hands by trusting them to go in their cab. i had an experience where i had a guy driving around "traffic" and it cost me a hefty 175 baht which is less than 5 bucks, but as long as i get home safe i'm happy.

just when you go and aren't in the foreigners streets like "kow sarn" and stuff, use a lot of common sense, don't do things you aren't willing to do at home. and if something seems too good to be true, it might just mean it is. but there are many good ppl and i guess you shouldn't be stressed out because you're there to learn something new.

like fan said, your there for the life experience, because it's way more worth it than the education at the time being there.

have fun and be safe, if you decide to go thru with it and if your parents approve of it.