The Difference Between Thai & Lao

Just curious...
If you understand Thai, can you understand Lao?
If you understand Lao, can you understand Thai?

Thai and Lao are very similar to me, but maybe it's just me. I know lots of Laotians who are fluent in Lao but cannot fully understand Thai, or not even at all.
I grew up learning both languages but adapted to Thai more. But! But, I understand both almost fluently. I just can't read and write...only learning to read a little Thai. How about you guys?

Mahalo

sarNie OldFart
Thank you for making this topic! I was going to make it sooner or later. I understand Thai, but live in an area filled with Laotians. When I speak Thai to them, they cannot understand me, and I sometimes can't understand them either. However, there are some common words that both languages share but are pronounced slightly different. I've been trying to learn Laotian but can't seem to mimic their accents since I'm so used to the smoothness of Thai. I do realize that words that start with R's in Thai are pronounced as H's in Laos and words with C's sound like S's. Something like that. Lol. 

Asy

sarNie Immature
^ Hehe I know the R and H things. I saw Alif Silpachai's videos and I noted how to say 'love' in Thai and Lao lol.

x0unerthanlater

`my dragon's blood is blue`
It may seem like there isn't a big difference, but there are enough differences to make them difficult for someone who knows one but not the other, to understand. I learned that the "R" consonant in the Lao language isn't used often enough so they simply sort of eliminated it. The sound is "raw - rot (car)" but many ppl pronounce car as "lot" with the "L" sound. Their are other consonants like the "P" and "F" sounds that gets mixed up a lot. For instance when ppl say "Pai" instead of "Fai" (fire). You will notice that when you talk to Lao ppl from different regions the dialects and pronunciations are different. As for Lao and Thai, the similarities only run as far as the "Issan" language. The inner city Thai ppl (i.e. Bangkok ppl) uses the Issan language mixed with the common Thai language. That's probably why it would seem like Lao and Thai are the same languages. 

aymieluvsyu637

sarNie Adult
I am Lao and Thai, luckily I can speak and understand both pretty fluently. However when I speak to true Lao people they don't seem to understand me. It's probably because there's many dialects in Lao. People comment on how my family and I speak is more of Thai with the words we would use.

aymieluvsyu637 said:
I am Lao and Thai, luckily I can speak and understand both pretty fluently. However when I speak to true Lao people they don't seem to understand me. It's probably because there's many dialects in Lao. People comment on how my family and I speak is more of Thai with the words we would use.
Yeah, I, myself, is Chinese/ Thai/ Lao. There are some differences, but I was just wondering if Thai-Lao people could understand each other if one knew one language and vice versa. Lol. I know I do. And also, surprisingly, there are a few Khmer words that sound like Thai.

Mahalo

sarNie OldFart
Many think that the two languages are the same, but you'd have to be able to speak one or the other to understand how very different they are. There's always an awkward moment between me and Laotians when I try to speak with them. They always tell me that's not their language and that they don't speak Thai. I'm puzzled because some Laotians are able to watch and understand Thai lakorns. I guess it's the younger generation of Laotians who aren't as advanced to pick up Thai since they don't speak Lao well themselves. 

x0unerthanlater said:
It may seem like there isn't a big difference, but there are enough differences to make them difficult for someone who knows one but not the other, to understand. I learned that the "R" consonant in the Lao language isn't used often enough so they simply sort of eliminated it. The sound is "raw - rot (car)" but many ppl pronounce car as "lot" with the "L" sound. Their are other consonants like the "P" and "F" sounds that gets mixed up a lot. For instance when ppl say "Pai" instead of "Fai" (fire). You will notice that when you talk to Lao ppl from different regions the dialects and pronunciations are different. As for Lao and Thai, the similarities only run as far as the "Issan" language. The inner city Thai ppl (i.e. Bangkok ppl) uses the Issan language mixed with the common Thai language. That's probably why it would seem like Lao and Thai are the same languages. 

I realize that both Thai and Lao people tend to drop the "R" and use "L" instead. 

thatsouthernasianchick said:
Yeah, I, myself, is Chinese/ Thai/ Lao. There are some differences, but I was just wondering if Thai-Lao people could understand each other if one knew one language and vice versa. Lol. I know I do. And also, surprisingly, there are a few Khmer words that sound like Thai.
Yes, Khmer and Thai are actually very similar. I can speak Khmer also and that's how I was able to pick up Thai because a majority of Thai words are derived from Khmer.  

Mahalo

sarNie OldFart
Hey guys, I'm trying to better my Thai. I just wanted to ask someone who's fluent in Thai, do you use "ka" a lot in reality like they do in lakorns? Do you add it at the end of each sentence you say? I learned how to speak Thai from watching lakorns, but I don't want to make a fool out of myself by speaking like I'm straight out of a lakorn. Haha. I just find myself saying "ka" a lot. It seems too over polite. Also, I'm a little confused about when to use "ler," "law," "lok," and "lah." Like when they say "jing law"? Or be sarcastic and say "lerrr"? I never really know which ending to use for emphasis. One more question, what's the difference between pope/jer, fao/raw, meua rai/ waylaa, and krung/ krao. They're like synonyms. Is there a specific rule for how you correctly use them in a sentence? They seem to be used interchangeably.       

Mahalo said:
Hey guys, I'm trying to better my Thai. I just wanted to ask someone who's fluent in Thai, do you use "ka" a lot in reality like they do in lakorns? Do you add it at the end of each sentence you say? I learned how to speak Thai from watching lakorns, but I don't want to make a fool out of myself by speaking like I'm straight out of a lakorn. Haha. I just find myself saying "ka" a lot. It seems too over polite. Also, I'm a little confused about when to use "ler," "law," "lok," and "lah." Like when they say "jing law"? Or be sarcastic and say "lerrr"? I never really know which ending to use for emphasis. One more question, what's the difference between pope/jer, fao/raw, meua rai/ waylaa, and krung/ krao. They're like synonyms. Is there a specific rule for how you correctly use them in a sentence? They seem to be used interchangeably.       

The answer to the question about "kha" is yes and no.  Yes, when speaking, it's common to put "kha" at the end of the sentence and when listening to someone explain, just to show that yes you follow.  When used in the latter way, it's like nodding, but it's more polite to be verbal.  When speaking to a stranger or someone higher up in status -- a professor, friends' parents, for example -- always pepper the speech with "kha" as a sign of being polite and showing respect.  When with close friends, it's acceptable to skip using "kha."  Also, the way you say "kha" makes a difference.  Don't exaggerate it too much; use a short, falling tone for "ka" to indicate you follow, agree, or understand what the other person is saying.  Use a longer, rising "khaa" when at the end of a question you're asking.  Use a longer, mid tone "kha" when explaining something.  When speaking with kids, though, don't use ka; use "ja" instead -- pronounced the way it is in Khmer.  However, if writing Thai, it's expected that "kha" is excluded even at the end of sentences.

As for "lah," it has a short, airy sound at the end, and is used to signal that you're asking a question, and hence, "jing lah?"  "Law" is the extended, longer sounding form of "lah" means "really?" as in the question form of it, and has a rising tone.  It's used to express sarcasm as you mentioned, or genuine incredulity.  

"Pohp" and "jer" are essentially the same in meaning, although "pohp" is slightly more formal, though it is used rather commonly.  "Pohp gun" or "jer gun" are interchangeable.  "Murai" translates into "when?" while "way-lah" translates into "time."  Think of it in terms of Khmer; "murai" is equivalent to "payl nah?" and "way-lah" is equivalent to "payl vah-lear."  I'm not sure what words you're referring to with fao and raw, and krao.  "Kreung" means half and can be used in a number of ways.

Mahalo

sarNie OldFart
thai-lakorn-fan-forever said:
The answer to the question about "kha" is yes and no.  Yes, when speaking, it's common to put "kha" at the end of the sentence and when listening to someone explain, just to show that yes you follow.  When used in the latter way, it's like nodding, but it's more polite to be verbal.  When speaking to a stranger or someone higher up in status -- a professor, friends' parents, for example -- always pepper the speech with "kha" as a sign of being polite and showing respect.  When with close friends, it's acceptable to skip using "kha."  Also, the way you say "kha" makes a difference.  Don't exaggerate it too much; use a short, falling tone for "ka" to indicate you follow, agree, or understand what the other person is saying.  Use a longer, rising "khaa" when at the end of a question you're asking.  Use a longer, mid tone "kha" when explaining something.  When speaking with kids, though, don't use ka; use "ja" instead -- pronounced the way it is in Khmer.  However, if writing Thai, it's expected that "kha" is excluded even at the end of sentences.

As for "lah," it has a short, airy sound at the end, and is used to signal that you're asking a question, and hence, "jing lah?"  "Law" is the extended, longer sounding form of "lah" means "really?" as in the question form of it, and has a rising tone.  It's used to express sarcasm as you mentioned, or genuine incredulity.  

"Pohp" and "jer" are essentially the same in meaning, although "pohp" is slightly more formal, though it is used rather commonly.  "Pohp gun" or "jer gun" are interchangeable.  "Murai" translates into "when?" while "way-lah" translates into "time."  Think of it in terms of Khmer; "murai" is equivalent to "payl nah?" and "way-lah" is equivalent to "payl vah-lear."  I'm not sure what words you're referring to with fao and raw, and krao.  "Kreung" means half and can be used in a number of ways.
Wow, thank you so much for taking the time to explain this to me. I appreciate it even more that you used Khmer to help me understand :) We also use "ja" a lot in Khmer but only when speaking formally to elders so I was wondering if Thai was the same with "ka." I speak Thai intuitively which means that I can just feel and sense that I'm speaking it correctly without understanding why. Lol. I learned how to speak by listening and was able to grasp the grammar structure. I used to use Khmer to help me understand Thai words since the similarities are so closely related. Now my brain uses Thai to translate Khmer so I'm forgetting my Khmer. Lol. Thank you once again for this wonderful Thai lesson :D   

PhoneO_5

sarNie Oldmaid
Depends on dialect. I know I can't understand some Lao dialects and takes time for me to understand what they are saying. Luang Prabang people speak faster/sweeter and sometimes takes me by surprise. I have to adjust in order for me to understand. I think I understand Thai because I watch the lakorns. But I'm sure that if I never heard it before and only knew Lao, I would not understand Thai.

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
I was just discussing this topic with my parents the other day because they are so confused on how I could understand all dialects of Thai, Lao, and Cambodian (I know not the same as Thai Lao). People are always praising my parents that they taught me well because I understand all the dialects which is very hard to do and even adults don't understand them all. My parents just always kind of nod because the truth is... they never taught me any Lao or Thai. My first language growing up was Cambodian. As I started school I lost the language as I learned English. Then suddenly when I was around the age of 8 or so I started watching lakorns and the adults around me were confused and always asked if I Understood what was happening (Since I have never been taught Lao or Thai). My dad is Lao and Thai, but mostly spoke English to me so I wouldn't be disadvantaged when I went to school. They didn't believe I understood what was going on in the lakonrns until I started speaking to them in Lao and Thai :lol: Til this day my parents are still confused on how I managed to pick up langauges they never taught me. I think I might have picked them up from Lakorns because my mom used to watch them all the time while I sat around her and did my homework. It is like one of those mysteries in the family we just don't get lol.  My dad is always saying that he hates me (not literally) because some dialects of Lao he can't understand, but I can. I have to translate for him sometimes because the words are so different from the dialect he understands. So when we bump into someone from a different area with different dialect and they speak, I have to stand there and translate. For me Lao and Thai are very similar, but as someone up there said it depends on the dialect because they can be like totally completely different. 

Like the word yes, Some people in Lao just say "Eur" and some say, "Doy" 

sarN

sarNie Granny
those 3 language do share root words from Sanskrit , kind of like Latin roots in English , Spanish, ect and were able to understand the meaning  , for example 'tran' mean 'movement'  . Sanskrit is a philosophical language from Hinduism and Buddhism . Thailand, Lao and Cambodia are consider a Buddhism influence and therefore some of the words is adapted into their language and that's why those 3 country can understand some of the word meaning  . Did ya' guys know India monk chant the same words as Thailand, Lao and Cambodia 's monks? Those chant are Sanskrit words as well . My name 'soksarn' for example , the Sanskrit root word 'sok' is in both Lao, Thai and Cambodia with a slightly differ sound/pronounce which mean 'peace,harmony,happy'  and 'sok' is heard in the chanting as well , 'sokka' 'sokdok' ect. My grandma is a devoted Buddhist follower and very religious , I know those chants by heart and i do chant along w/ the monks  when i goes to temple