Translations of Lakorn Titles Weird?

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
LOL I notice that when I see lakorn/movies titles get translated into english it's weird it doesn't sound anything as the meaning in thai like for ex.

Oum Ruk-Chain of Love?
Ruk Jarng-The Memory?

LOl any thoughts on it?

Solita

sarNie Juvenile
I hate it when the English translation of Thai titles is off. Like Ruk Jarng for example. Those two Thai words does not have anything to do with the word 'memory'. It gets really annoying. I don't know if they just don't know how to translate correctly or what, but I think they probably do it on purpose. There are people who know how to translate Thai into English nowadays for crying out loud. Anyways, I think it should be translated correctly so people who don't speak Thai know the correct title so they understand where Thais are coming from in naming their works (I don't know if this last part makes sense so sorry if it's confusing).

Toon

Official Robert Pattinson Ambassador
well it's not that they don't know how to translate but if you literally translate those titles it wouldn't sound or make sense...
example:

Oum Ruk: Oum means to hold or pick up and hold and ruk means love...so Pick up love? what chain of love sounds better b/c the lakorn was about the bond that formed between praek and nangek because of the baby

and

Ruk Jarng: Ruk =love, jarng=much...love much? no The memory is better because this movie was about film losing his memory and trying to remember what happened with him and paula and the hill people.

Mai*

sarNie Elites
Oum Ruk's title is suitable for the lakorn. Ann was pregnant with a baby, thus she was carrying love. It was her pregnancy that connected her and Ken, therefore carrying love lol

Who translates Oum Ruk into "Chain of Love"? I've never heard of it being translated that way, or is that how they have it on the dvds?

natty

Chubs
Oum Ruk's title is suitable for the lakorn. Ann was pregnant with a baby, thus she was carrying love. It was her pregnancy that connected her and Ken, therefore carrying love lol

Who translates Oum Ruk into "Chain of Love"? I've never heard of it being translated that way, or is that how they have it on the dvds?

lol sound like how you know who would translate it huh mai? :lol:

Mai*

sarNie Elites
lol sound like how you know who would translate it huh mai? :lol:
lmaooo do you know?

lol I'm giving the benefit of the doubt, perhaps its' the producer of the lakorn that's changing the title of the lakorn when they put it on dvd and out for sale :lol:

iamnowhere

sarNie Adult
Oh seriously? I always thought that Chain of Love was the name of the company or person that subbed the lakorn. Yeah I would have to agree with everyone that Chain of Love does come close to the title Oum Ruk "Carrying Love" would have to be the closest translation to it. Why didn't they just use that?

I'm sorry, but that connection was crazy... it makes sense, but it takes a lot figuring out to do.

Mai*

sarNie Elites
lol oh so it's subbing company, I thought channel 3 put out dvds and change the title

Well with Oum Ruk, it hit me automatically about the baby. Oum means carry/carrying, which in Anne's case, she was carrying the baby, which was her love and Ken's love. So in a sense, she's carrying love, the love that brings her and Ken together

noiki

sarNie Hatchling
lolz that's when they say lost in translation...when we start translating things a lot of idioms and puns get lost in the process.

here's my take on "Oum Ruk"

in thai, when you are pregrant you can say you are "oum tong" which literally means to carry stomach, but no one would ever translate it as carrying stomach bc it sounds weird, so that phrase means to be pregnant. Therefore, i think they used that phrase and substitute "ruk" for "tong" so that viewers get the same idea. Anne is pregnant "oum tong" but she is also "oum ruk" because of the love that is involved along the way.