Veterans VA Newbies

Mahalo

sarNie OldFart
Likit! Yasss. That's the guy who played in JLR 1988. He's the one I was referring to not Wirayut, but Wirayut is also another noteworthy actor. He's similar to Likit. I loved his acting from Nampueng Satan. I forgot about Ann Siriam.  

rockateur

sarNie Hatchling
There were a lot of good actors and actresses back in the days that I wouldn't even be able to name them all. Even if i had my personal favorites, generally I liked a good majority of people whereas now, I feel so limited due to the lack of acting talent and overall appeal. There's only a few that I can tolerate watching from this generation. 

saobomp

sarNie Adult
Mahalo said:
Likit! Yasss. That's the guy who played in JLR 1988. He's the one I was referring to not Wirayut, but Wirayut is also another noteworthy actor. He's similar to Likit. I loved his acting from Nampueng Satan. I forgot about Ann Siriam.  

You mean Nilut? he's the one that still stars in many lakorns as fathers either good or bad roles? someone said he was the charkrit look alike when he was younger hehe.

Mahalo

sarNie OldFart
saobomp said:
You mean Nilut? he's the one that still stars in many lakorns as fathers either good or bad roles? someone said he was the charkrit look alike when he was younger hehe.
I have no idea who Nilut is. Lol. Wirayut is the p'ek from Nampeung Satan, an 80's revenge lakorn. Here's a picture of him.

And this is Likit as Harit from JLR 1988 with Savitree as Soraya. She's another good veteran actress. I tend to get Likit and Wirayut mixed up.

saobomp

sarNie Adult
Oh him, i totally forgot about him. yah, he was so good with meanie roles. dont see him anymore. I watched most of his lakorns too and i like him as well...

I might have spelled Nilut wrong lol, he's a lot older i should say. he was the angwa's leader (the head leader). i was actually thinking of another lakorn with him in it with Monradee (nampueng kom). Older actress/actor hehe. 

I love likit. he was one of my favorite. watched just about all the lakorn he played in. his cheesy smile. Seladaran was a classic to me. not sure if there's anyone with that kinda of smile... 

Mahalo

sarNie OldFart
saobomp said:
Oh him, i totally forgot about him. yah, he was so good with meanie roles. dont see him anymore. I watched most of his lakorns too and i like him as well...

I might have spelled Nilut wrong lol, he's a lot older i should say. he was the angwa's leader (the head leader). i was actually thinking of another lakorn with him in it with Monradee (nampueng kom). Older actress/actor hehe. 
Monradee is a bad actress in my opinion. She's not very expressive. Savitree is better in my opinion. 

saobomp

sarNie Adult
she seem to play in sad lakorns to me. yes, savitree is good and i like her too. glad she's still taking roles b/c she's awesome evil or good hehe. 

like jarunee, omg that funny lady. that smirk smile of hers. i followed her short movies back in the days.

Mahalo

sarNie OldFart
Wow, we are really taking it back with veteran actors from the 80s. I don't even think many here know who we're talking about. Lol. Actors back then were extremely talented. They earned their spots through talent and hard work. They weren't given roles off the bat through their good looks. They had to fit the role to be casted. 

byebye

sarNie OldFart
You know in Thai lakorns an actress/actor is talented when they can tackle a twin lakorn. Anne was spot on in those characters. You can tell the difference between the sweet/evil ones. It is the little things like walking, eyes movements and the way she delivered the lines making the viewers believed it is a twin not one person playing two parts.

For example, Nadech isn't believable as a twin because he doesn't know how to separate the two characters. He makes them all blend in and in turn confusing because he doesn't have the versatile acting ability to carry on such a thing. Until an actor can take on that challenge convincingly, they are not there yet. And many in this generation doesn't have the capability. 

I am waiting on how Matt is going to do in Fai Lang Fai. If she can play two characters just like Anne can and make it realistic then by all means she is the best or one of the best in her group. Though, I see she has the most potential. If she plays a twin one acting like the innocent, prim and proper like the lakorn with Boy, then she has already proved she's able to. And if the other twin is like the one in KRGR, the crazy...drunk one she has already taken it on and doing it just as good.

I want actresses/actors to succeed and be good because I am watching a lakorn to enjoy it. It really bums me out when I am watching a lakorn and have to tune out because they just butchered the roles badly.  

saobomp

sarNie Adult
Mahalo: yes we went way back lol. I wish they would remake some of the short movies of jarunee to Lakorn bc all of them were so good. I still remember the storyline too hehe.

I agree nowadays it's more of looks. Not many have both looks and talent which is okay as long as they have that talent. It's not top notch acting bc they lack something in them. It's watchable but nothing that really capturing.

fun

Expired Sarnie
Really? I think back then it was all about looks because now If it was base on beauty, hell I have a lot of questioning lol not gonna name names but there's a super long list of unattractive people on my list.

Although the nang eks these day would not take on lakorns with rscene, I feel like there's more variety in plots and ideas. Much more open minded to new things even if they still lack today.

Nok Sinja and Mam Katreeya were not mentioned yet but deserve a spot.

jeanie1

sarNie Adult
I think sometimes screen presence/charisma can help overcome lack of talent or skills. You know the IT factor? And I don't know if you can develop the IT factor like you can develop some acting chops. I won't mention any Thai actors but you see this a lot in Hollywood. In fact I'd say it's more important in Hollywood than actual talent. George Clooney is a prime example of this. I don't think he sucks or anything but he's not the best actor. There's just something about him that makes you want to watch what he's doing onscreen and I'm not just talking about his good looks. Some of the newbies have IT but are mediocre. Maybe they'll get better. There's hope.

You know in Thai lakorns an actress/actor is talented when they can tackle a twin lakorn

I don't agree with this. I generally hate twin lakorns because they're used as a measure of versatility. But imo it's easy to act as extreme opposites which are what 99% of twin lakorns are. It's super easy to do happy vs sad or mean vs nice, strong vs weak etc. It's much harder to be able to do subtle differences like happy and excited or sad and despair. This is why Ann T. is such a great actress, for me as an example. Put any 2 of her roles next together that are similar and you can see the difference. She played a drunk in both Sai Roong and Samee Teetra but she made them different types of drunks. That's more impressive to me than to compare her roles as Moonin and Mootha. Mam Jintara is another one. She has a lot of similar roles but they all look different enough.

I also think versatility is a bit over-rated. If you can only do a few roles really really well then great. Noon is a good actress but she absolutely sucks at comedy. But just because she sucks at comedy, I'm not going to say she's a sucky actress in general.

Then there's people who lose their passion for acting and/or got lazy. Aum P. is a prime example of this. I think she's a good actress that is also versatile but man has she been atrocious the past few years. I don't think she lost her skills/talent. She just got lazy or indifferent.

Reactions: fun

Mahalo

sarNie OldFart
I think charisma and talent goes hand in hand. You cannot have one and lack the other. I'd have to disagree with that one. The IT factor to me is usually something that makes them talented and unique compared to others so in my opinion, someone can't have IT and not be talented. If you're talking about physical beauty that's different because someone can be beautiful and have it all but not be skilled in acting. I don't understand the George Clooney thing. Why are girls so crazy over him? He's not the handsomest man alive. I do agree with you on how it is more difficult to play similar roles differently. Kim has a problem with that in particular because she has been playing all of her characters similarly. Despite her characters being similar, I feel that she should have her own spin on each to make them different from one another. Nonetheless, twin roles are difficult to play so I wouldn't go as far as to say that they're super easy to pull off. I wouldn't measure talent through their ability to play twins alone but I do consider it as an important skill. To me, versatility is important in measuring talent. If the actor or actress can play well in all kinds of genres, they are talented. Anne T. is the definition of talented. 

jeanie1

sarNie Adult
Maybe we just have different definitions of what charisma is. Charisma/IT factor to me has nothing to do with talent in their careers or field. It's the ability to draw people in or attract them. It's getting people to buy what you're selling. It's part charm, part likeability and part unexplainable. Maybe it's a type of talent in itself but then "charisma talent" is different from acting talent.

9 times out of 10, people will have Clooney on their most charismatic lists somewhere. And yet he won't show up as often on best actors list. Why is that so if they go hand in hand? I don't think he's sexy at all but I do think he's charismatic. So no, charisma to me has little to do with looks. I don't think Oprah is beautiful but she has plenty of charisma.

How else do you explain America's so-called Sweetheart Jen Aniston? She is no Meryl Streep and yet hordes of people love her and she is no stunning beauty either. Same with Julia Roberts, not the best actress but oozes charm onscreen and in her heyday a guaranteed box office hit. Also not the most beautiful woman alive. Most action movies don't require great acting skills but plenty of charisma, like the James Bond role. Tom Cruise is another mediocre actor that used to trade purely on charisma alone. None of these people are talented at acting onscreen. Their "talent" lies elsewhere.

For sure the most successful will have both charisma and talent, see Meryl Streep or Helen Mirren. But you can still be a successful actor with just one or the other. The music industry is another good example where there's plenty of charisma and performance ability to spare but pure vocal talent is much harder to find.

To make it relevant to this thread I'll use the SJ series as an example. Of the 3 male newbies I thought James Ma was the best actor with the harder role and yet it was JJ that blew up practically overnight. JJ is certainly not the hottest looking guy of that group. Even if some of his fans think he is the hottest, the difference between their level of attractiveness is not so great to explain the huge difference of popularity. He didn't have the best story either because Bomb got the best story of all the parts. It can't be the koojin thing because JJ left Bella in the dust in terms of popularity. Those 2 aren't exactly Nadech/Yaya. I can't give any other explanation to why he and he alone became an overnight sensation for Thai citizens besides the IT factor in their eyes. And I don't think he's a super talented actor at all. He can be a good one in the future, maybe.

Mahalo

sarNie OldFart
Yeah. We do have different definitions of charisma/ IT factor. I honestly don't agree with your examples because they are generalizations that aren't exactly factual. Just to make things clear, I'm not saying this to put you on the spot or make it seem like I'm justifying my own views. Sometimes, words can be misinterpreted and people may read the comment under a bad impression. Lol. That's why I feel the need to add in "Lol" to hint to the reader that this is not a personal attack. It's just my opinion. I'm not saying you're right or wrong either, but to me, Clooney isn't charismatic or charming. I've never heard anyone praise him to be besides the media, which over-exaggerates things or manipulate people into thinking a certain way. Despite being a huge "Friends" fan, Jennifer Aniston isn't America's so called sweetheart and I don't know of anyone who thinks she is. I just never group actors into any type of category. I just analyze them by their skills as an actor/actress.

Your definition of charisma seems to deal more with describing how a person carries his/herself off-screen. I think we are talking more about how they are onscreen. For me, charisma is an innate talent. You are either born with or without it. Some Thai actors are not attractive but their charismatic acting draws you in to make them attractive and believable actors. They are able to bring their characters to life through their acting skills. That is why I mentioned that charisma and talent go hand in hand. A person's off-screen charisma cannot overcome their lack of talent or skills onscreen because when you're acting, you're not yourself. You're playing a character so you cannot display your personality onscreen. You cannot bring screen presence and not have talent. Without talent, you will not have any presence. You'd be overshadowed by other good actors. It's difficult to explain. Lol.

Mahalo

sarNie OldFart
He's also the definition of talented ^^^ Lol. He's one of the best actors in Bollywood. See what I mean? Usually when someone has charisma, they're talented too. I love Shahrukh. 

preetam

sarNie Oldmaid
Sharukh khan best days were the 90's. After that he has lost it. The last time I loved him was in Kal Ho Na Ho one of my fav movies years ago

jeanie1

sarNie Adult

I honestly don't agree with your examples because they are generalizations that aren't exactly factual.

Of course not. They're all opinions or restating the popular opinions. Nothing is factual when it's comes to something so subjective as acting. We talk about Ann's talent and being one of the best actresses around like it's a fact but that too is an opinion, even if its popular one. I know plenty of people who thinks she's not all that. Or some that think certain newbies are super talented that walks on water and blows the vets out of the water.  People have different perceptions and opinions. But what I gave as examples are popular or somewhat popular opinions.

I've never heard anyone praise him to be besides the media, which over-exaggerates things or manipulate people into thinking a certain way. Despite being a huge "Friends" fan, Jennifer Aniston isn't America's so called sweetheart and I don't know of anyone who thinks she is.

The media plays a role but it's not the only factor. It was the media that dubbed Ann the princess of Thai ET after all.  A lot of fans agreed so it stuck but there are some that don't think she's the princess of anything. If a lot don't agree it's not going to stick. The media only pushes what is going to sell. I don't think Aniston is anyone's sweetheart either but there's a lot that do. Everyone is going to have their detractors.

The media/PR/publicist also can't manufacture something to the degree of James Ji's success. If they could, I think James Ma would've been the better candidate since he has one of the most well connected manager around.

Your definition of charisma seems to deal more with describing how a person carries his/herself off-screen
No I'm not. My entire point about charisma is how they carry themselves onscreen that has nothing to do with actual acting talent. And offscreen, in the public eye, actors are most likely acting anyway. Unless we know them personally, no one knows an actor's true personality.

I highly doubt James Ji million instagram followers in the span of weeks became fans of his because they saw his "offscreen" persona on SeeSan Bunterng for a minute or 2. They became fans of his through watching him as Puttipat. That's what I call charisma vs great acting skill. There was something about him that made a whole lot of people want to watch him, even if it wasn't the best acting around.

Or are you saying James Ji and his portrayal of Puttipat makes him one of the most talented actors around?  I'm not saying JJ is a sucky actor either. He's ok, (good for a newbie) and he can get better. Meanwhile, his natural onscreen charisma makes up for a lot of his deficiencies which I'm guessing is why a lot of people love him.

Seriously, it's the easiest and most logical explanation to me why, not the most talented actor, not the prettiest/sexiest actor, can end up more poular than the actors who are talented and lookers. That's not possible if talent is the same thing as charisma/IT factor.

I know a lot on this board thinks Matt P. is the best young-ish actress around so explain why she isn't more popular than some others who aren't as good at acting? I don't believe it's all about the connections/being pushed either. If a lot of people wanted to watch her more than others, CH3 isn't going to be like "no we don't like making money so we're not going to give the fans what they want." After all Yaya wasn't being pushed hard until the public responded so well to her (and her and Nadech) with Duang Jai Akkanee.

I think Matt P is pretty and the better actress but I know I personally prefer watching the less skilled like Yaya, Kwan, Mew N. . When I watch Matt, I can appreciate that she's doing a good job but her acting leaves me cold. I don't think she has as great a screen presence as some others.

preetam

sarNie Oldmaid
First you say "a lot of people think on this forum Matt is talented" at the same time you say "she is not more popular than ect...". Anyway already on this forum -not only this one- she is renowed by a lot of members to be talented. So somehow she is popular. I won't make comparison because I did not count the number of fans of each actresses. But I will definitly not rely on the 'screaming' of a few people for their fav actor/actress just for the sake of creating krasae.
Then LMAO asking why Matt is not more 'popular' if she was as skilled as she is said to be is like reverse asking why more talented singers are less popular than atrocious singers like 'justin Bieber or Rihanna or niky minaj and the likes'. You know what I mean darling don't always mix -I even want to say never ever- popularity with talent. I know loads loads loads of mediocre artists today who are very popular. I told some names in american song insustry. In korean movies insustry I knows a lot too for example.
Last but not least last time I checked Ch3 keep giving many projects even though she does not have 'overdramatic' fans netizens screaming at every corner of social networks 'koojin koojin koojin...'. otherwise ch3 would have demoted her from her n'ek statu if she was not making money for them. So in conclusion Matt fans are, let's say, more the quiet type and not 'fanatics' plus I am sure ch3 elders see her potential.