What do you think about the Hmong Chicken Post-Partum Diet?

muskawmntawv

sarNie Egg
Just curious,

How do you all feel about that chicken diet us women, after giving birth, have to go on? Please be constructive in your comments. Thanks.

ddawbb

sarNie Adult
First of all the diet is to help your body's strength. Right after birth a woman is really weak and eating all that meat (protein!!!) really helps your body rebuild it back to normal. Childbirth is not easy.

2- It helps you to control what you eat AND therefore helps your weight too.

3- The hot and freshness of the food is supposed to help you in old age

4- The husband does most of the work when he can, and you spend more time with your baby and you get A LOT of rest.. and I mean a lot! (except when you are caring for your baby)

5- When you use all the right herbs, the chicken tastes EXCELLENT!

Conclusion - it's a good diet, it helps you in recovery, regaining strength, prevent weight gain, get some rest from all the duties of a nyab, and prepares you for the future in old age...

shinewin

sarNie Egg
I agreed that this is a good diet even if you dont give birth. Not much fat, so you can stay slim. But i have to disagree that you have to eat only it and nothing else for weeks!! The doctor recommended other food such as fruits and meat to give back your body some vitamins. You can even have pho, but without all those hosin and saracha sause, just plain noodle soup. You can even have boiled pork or beef or salad.
I think someone made up that rule that you will have to be on it for weeks, because back in thailand hmong people where poor, so they probably dont want to kill their cows and pigs, they rather kill the chickens.
My mom would always tell me that if you dont eat the chicken soup for weeks and if you sneak in somethign else to eat, you h=will have bad health. But its not true, it that was the case, would every women who is not on the chicken diet be having bad health already? Like other race not hmong!!

lady_sati

sarNie Adult
agree agree :)

it's a diet to replenish the body.
cause it's fresh and it doesnt have all these crazy oils, etc.

i honestly think it works.

and to tie the tummy after birth too.
it helps so the tummy wont sag.
i've seen it work too.

but my relatives say that a month of chicken, it's a tough month. lol.
they crave all these things but can only eat boiled chicken.
it's a good sacrafice for when you're older, i believe so.

yep :)

nkaujhmooblauj

sarNie Adult
i have 7 months left to eat whatever i want!!
goodness. i don't know how i'm going to do chicken for a whole month. lol
my mom said it will help the body rebuild after giving birth
uhm... what about the no chili pepper diet also?
i love to eat boiled chicken with chili pepper!!

pink_juliet_kashie

sarNie Oldmaid
i say as long as i dun have to cook it...its excellent becuz it taste good
but if it has health benefits even better !

SunStar

sarNie Elites
i'm not married nor do i have kids...but seeing my sisters on it... it is already killing me just to watch!!! i seriously can't imagine myself eating BOILED CHICKEN for a whole month... i would probably be always unsettled and stress...who knows...but my sisters says it is a good diet to be on..cuz they lost a lot of their pregnancy fat being on it...

lovely_jenny

sarNie Egg
true true true.. i do so believe in the diet.. ive been there two times.. its hard but it helps you get all the bad things from inside your body out... (hope youguys understand this...)but like i said its hard to be eating the same thing every single day for a whole month..

nkaujhmooblauj

sarNie Adult
my husband's younger bro's wife only ate the chicken for a week and stopped.
she's been eating oily and fatty foods.. papaya salad..
drinking coffee, eating candy, and the worst part.. alcohol!
i advised her not to... but she said a little wouldn't harm her
so all i told her was.. "up to you. your body."
because we can't control people, all we can do is advise them.
and she should know better because this is her 2nd baby.

miss_kayomee

sarNie Egg
i have always loved chicken, so i don't think it will be a bother. the only they i would complain is that i don't get to change the way it's cooked. i think its healthier then going straight to eat mcdonalds after giving birth.

ceda_lee

sarNie OldFart
Haha...this is so funny!

I actually REALLY like chicken with all that herbs. I think I can eat it for a month, maybe. My mom says after you give birth, you're suppose to 'caiv' other food for future health. And I totally agree that it helps to control weigh gain.

kazz143

sarNie Juvenile
I agreed that this is a good diet even if you dont give birth. Not much fat, so you can stay slim. But i have to disagree that you have to eat only it and nothing else for weeks!! The doctor recommended other food such as fruits and meat to give back your body some vitamins. You can even have pho, but without all those hosin and saracha sause, just plain noodle soup. You can even have boiled pork or beef or salad.
I think someone made up that rule that you will have to be on it for weeks, because back in thailand hmong people where poor, so they probably dont want to kill their cows and pigs, they rather kill the chickens.
My mom would always tell me that if you dont eat the chicken soup for weeks and if you sneak in somethign else to eat, you h=will have bad health. But its not true, it that was the case, would every women who is not on the chicken diet be having bad health already? Like other race not hmong

no...someone didnt make this rule...its not the chicken itself that has the healing power....its the combination of the herbs that go with it....u wouldnt put this herb in with beef or pork so....chicken was the choice....its not made up....other nash have thier own way of dealing with post partum diet...so u cant compare ours to theres

mysuper_girlfriend

sarNie Juvenile
as the hmong says. it helps to build up body strength after birth. other then that i'm glad i'm not a woman or else i would go crazy eating that stuff 30days straight 2-3 times a day.

bakaPX

sarNie Adult
My mom would always tell me that if you dont eat the chicken soup for weeks and if you sneak in somethign else to eat, you h=will have bad health. But its not true, it that was the case, would every women who is not on the chicken diet be having bad health already? Like other race not hmong!!
My mom says not dieting affects their health when they're older. Eating cold stuff would make your tsev menyuam worst and touching cold stuff will affect you in the future(makes you get cold easier) etc. Not sure if it's true or not but might as well do it in case. And the herbs used for the chicken supposedly has a lot of vitamins so that's why they use it.

pbv

sarNie Juvenile
obviously the health implications are not all true; not sticking to the diet won't be detrimental for your health but you should just do it as a sign of respect for your culture, customs and family. I think you can afford a month of yummy herbal chicken to make your family not worry about your health or the future of your health. I never understand those people who cheat and sneak in stuff because seriously, a month is not that long, maybe it'll give you a chance to practice self control.

I don't know, this is just hypothetically speaking because I've never gone through it so maybe I'm judging harshly but as a hmong woman, I'm glad that we've developed something like this without medical knowledge to help our bodies recover strength.

vanggirlie

sarNie Egg
i don't know any particular superstitions about it but i love it. it's healthy and you can lose weight on it if you eat in moderation. it's actually healthy eating.

my sis lost weight on it after having her kid and eating it for a while but went back to her bad eating habits and gained weight.