2008 Beijing Summer Olympics

myx

sArNieZ
i want to watch the badminton game, do anyone know what day is it going to air, or have they already play?

Liberty

sarNie Adult
So tell me why the US has so many more medals
What do you mean?

The first number is as stated, it's the total medal count for all of the Olympics.

As for the other numbers, well, those speak for themselves, I listed what medals they've won for this Olympic, including the what they've won for today.
As for what event, you gotta go to NBC news to find out.

It has nothing to do with the country these athletes represent, well a little -- in that some countries have better training facilities, it has more to do with the indiviual athletes, their type of training, their mentality and their coaching.

You also have to consider the history of modern Olympics, when which countries entered, how serious they were about winning and how they trained their athletes for such an event. Take a look at Great Britain, they're overall medal count for the Olympics comes in third, but they haven't done that well this Olympics. Every nation has their year, this just wasn't theirs. There's obviously no more Soviet Union.
I guess the real answer to your question is, consistency.

darvil

sarNie Adult
China is going to take this Olympics. Anything less is going to be dishonorable for them.

China just joined the Olympics in the 1980s so total count is definitely less. If they have been involved from earlier on, they would be either #1 or #2

Also with the metal count, you have to remember that there are still quite a few more days. Also some games are dominated by certain countries and they will dominate in the metals until the those games are over and so after a few more days when games changes they may drop off (IE Korea). I remember the Korean females dominating the Archery last Olympics. I wonder if those come later or recently?

Anyway in some sports its just so easy to rack up metals (IE swimming) and you know those generally gets dominated by Europeans because of their size and traditions. I mean lets look at the winter Olympics and see which countries dominate in that? lol. Countries that barely register in the summer Olympics.

I know China is trying to break into some other fields this Olympics where they traditionally don't do well such as running and swimming. I haven't seen any breakthroughs though.

You can check it out on the NBC site or just google Olympics.
but i don't wanna... :p

watched the olympics last night... i was sooo sleepy, but i wanted to watch gymnastics. the u.s. women's team got silver. :lmao: why did some of the girls have to get injured? man. i wish i could have seen them at their best (with ALL the girls) & see how they do then. anyway, i hope they sweep for individual all-around. shawn johnson is very consistent, & nastia luikin is beautifully awesome on uneven bars. :dude: sweep it, girls! sweep it!!!!! :dude:

anyway, after swimming, the u.s. better rack up some medals on track & field. i'll be watching... my eyes are almost panda-like. ^_^

Liberty

sarNie Adult
I don't think they showed the Laos team yet, I haven't seen them in anything I've watched.
Of course, I've only been watching swimming, but even then, no Laos yet. I wonder if they already went.

max

sarNie Elites
I was watching gymnastics earlier. The annoucer said that they had to be at least 16 years old the year of the Olympics but there have been speculations that some of the Chinese gymnists aren't.
I didn't realize they had to be at least 16 until I heard that, the first two Chinese girls I saw didn't look anywhere close to 16.
I've seen some young looking 16 years old but even for Asians, they look way too young to be 16. They look like they were about 9 or 10 years old.

Then again the little boy walking with Yao at the opening ceremony was said to be 9 but I he looked more like he was 5.
Exactly...

I honestly think that they are their real ages. I am not only saying this because I love Chinese gymnastics, but because Asians in Asian countries tend to look younger than their actual age. On the other hand, my sisters are twins, and they are the oldest ones of my parent's children, and they look younger than all of us. Sadly, they look younger than me and I am the third to last! Ahh! I mean, they are 27, and they look like they are 17, so I believe that it is just that those girls look young for their age. Anyways, I am so happy that they won gold. Ahh! I have been waiting for this moment! So happy!

I love Michael Phelps because he is so hot, and he is so cool!

ohitsnoyyy

Mama Noy ♥️
Michael Phelps is on a roll! wahooo! love watching that man swim!

I love watching the beach volleyball. Misty May & keri Welsh are awesome & so are the men's US beach volleyball teach. I love the gymnastics team too. the lil girl Shaun from the U.S is so freaking adorable! she's so small!

Did you guys hear about the opening ceremony? the little girl that was singing the 'ode to the motherland' song was really lip syncing. the original girl was in the back singing. The Chinese didn't want to use the real little girl because she was 'not pretty enough' :eek: That is faulty! <_<

noungning

Heartless
oh haha, yeah the USA has 2kish medals in all... how the hell!?!??!?! but eh. i'd imagine greece because that's where it all started but nope... 2nd is Soviet (sp?) Union with 1kish.

i too think the little girls may be of the right age... because they are basically being fed and trained day in and out, they don't do anything else besides this, they don't get to "grow", look at the oldest one, she's 20 and she doesn't really look 20 either. asians in asia do look much younger than asians in the western part of the world. possibly because of nuitrition and such? and look at shawn johnson, she can fall for a 12 yr old also because she shorter and looks younger also.

haha i lose sleep from the games, but i can't stop watching. last night's gymnastics, i felt so bad for japan when he fell off the rings, but he made a good come back to save a silver. although i also felt bad for russia who did good, but fell off the high bar, and he's so nice, he goes back and shakes everyone's hand and always congrats everyone when they come off. as for usa, i think their efforts are very good, especially the other olypian, who does not look like any other gymnist because he's not as bulky lol, did very well on the pommel horse.

gonna keep on watching lol, too bad i can't stream here at work lmfao :p

Liberty

sarNie Adult
oh haha, yeah the USA has 2kish medals in all... how the hell!?!??!?! but eh. i'd imagine greece because that's where it all started but nope... 2nd is Soviet (sp?) Union with 1kish.
As I explained before, it's ALL the Olympics.
The Soviet Union has that many, even though it no longer exists, because it was comprised of several other different nations that are now an indiviual nation.
This is ONLY for the modern Olympics, which didn't start until the 20th century. This doesn't include ancient Olympic events held in Greece.

** I'm still suspicious about the Chinese gymnastic girls.
I look at the other Chinese women athletes and they actually look somewhat their age, or at least close.
These gymnists are suppose to be at least 16 to 20 something and they look like they're 9 or 10 years old.
I've seen young looking Asians but that's a big difference. They look like they haven't even hit puberty yet.
Hell, I'll be 26 this year and people sometimes think I'm 17 or 18 years old, but at least I don't look like a child.

who knows about those chinese gymnast girls. :lol: i mean... if the world is really bothered by it, they should screw over the age limit... so other countries can send in 10 year olds, too. it can be fair, & a country's govt. doesn't have to create passports. :lol: c'mon now... we could have had shawn johnson or nastia at 10! we'd woop as$!!! heck, maybe we have 10 year olds right now whose skills could have qualified for the olympics. :p

anyway, could a country be really proud of its gold medal, if they knew they won, b/c they went through loopholes? there's no honor in that.

i haven't slept all week. :spin: the us. women's all-around is going to be the last thing i watch. when does that air? :huh: my tv guide is really funny. it says on one date, but then it says another date on another.

mizterkevin

sarNie Juvenile
Well, the Chinese olympians usually look younger in general. If 9-10 year olds can compete with 16-20 year olds then why not let them?

I'm just mad at Spain for that stupid ad they put up.

i felt so bad for japan when he fell off the rings, but he made a good come back to save a silver.
That was a nasty fall, he slipped on one handle and his body flipped in the air and fell on his side.

Azlisakhmer

sarNie Adult
I think there is a conspiracy in the diving. I hope Michael Phelps goes 8 for 8. Beach Volleyball going to 16 semifinal

Liberty

sarNie Adult
I have no idea why they even have an age limit either.
Until the announcer made that comment I didn't even know there was an age limit.

mizterkevin

sarNie Juvenile
I think there's something up with the gymnastics mats, pokes, ect. There were so many mistakes for men who are known to be flawless.

Also, the swimming.

http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/REC/SW.shtml

These are all the world records broken this year for swimming alone. Is it the improvement in training? I know speedo designed a killer swim suit. Evolution? Highly doubtful. I also watched on yahoo on the newer design for the pool. I think it maybe falls into all the correct standards, but I also remember they said something about minimizing the way the water hits the sides of the pool.

EDIT: The age limit: I personally believe they shouldn't have an age limit and they should go by weight or something of that physical parameter. BUT the younger the body, the more flexible it is and the more able it is to heal after major injuries. I also heard that younger gymnast tend to be riskier, but should we allow young girls whose bodies are still developing be pushed to the limits of human ability? I'm still debating with myself on that one.

And another thing, the older athletes shouldn't be intimidated by younger athletes. They have a lot of upsides on their part, too. They just need to stop complaining and bring their game.

yesh! nastia & shawn won gold & silver in gymnastics. me so happy. :lmao:

i barely slept last night. :lol: