A quick question about lao people

sweetbabe

sarNie Egg
hahah i agree with everything you said exp0.... most people in the United state and other country use doi ka-noi. Plus it sound more cute then jao... the word jao sound like people who go to chruch.

noungning

Heartless
You guys can kill me for this but...

It seems like Thais (the ones living in Bangkok) don't want to try to speak our language, I guess it's because we don't have 'krup' nor 'ka' at the end of our sentences. imo, they think it's rude. I also guess that is why Laos say 'jao' at the end of their sentences just so that Thais will nod their heads at them.

I don't say 'jao', if talking with the elderly I usually say 'doi ka-noi'.
I find Isaan people speak faster than we do. lol
ahahah that's why i don't understand my bf, when he speak esarn he goes a mill miles per hour. lol...

as for the politeness in laotian, i don't say jao or doi ka-noi... yeah i'm not used to it, and when i spoke thai, i barely put in the ka... i sounded really rude, but i guess after using it for a while, or being yelled at i'm picking it up now lol

yeah people in bangkok doesn't really speak esarn, i don't say lao because i didn't find one person speaking lao, it was more or all esarn. they would speak esarn if they see that the person they are speaking to is esarn. and now a days more than 50% of the people in bangkok are from the esarn provinces looking for jobs in the city.

champthong

sarNie Hatchling
I agree with what you have to say girl, i think that it is stupid where we think that their is a difference thai and laos..it's just the way you present your self...like for example the thai when they speak, it's much more proper and all but as for the laos, we say what ever the hell we want and i like that too....I tried speaking both either laos and thai and i really enjoyed it....i am more fluent with laos beause of the environment!!
I disagreed about the comment of the Thai speak more proper than Lao. There is no one type of people that speak more proper than other. In Lao or Thai, it all depend who you speak to or how you are raise (no offense).

For example:
1. Speaking to someone older: different style of speaking (i.e. proper lao or proper thai, etc)
2. Friends to friends: say what ever the hell you want
3. Someone superior: very proper

My point is that there are variation of speaking and it all depend on who you are speaking to or at! I noticed that this generation of kids do not know proper manner when speaking because their parents did not teach them the correct manner.

cassiopeia

sarNie Egg
isarn for me is lao but because of the war during that time that piece of land were taken by the thais. there are many word differences, but the root is from lao. (some mixed - thai and lao). when i go to shopping in thailand (in Udon), we speak lao and they understand us..cus most customers are lao peeps... ppl in bangkok don't understand lao language though, but we still speak lao.

vonni

sarNie Egg
isan people are like laotians in terms of culture etc.. but they have assimilated into thai culture and call themselves "thai" not "lao"so they are thai people.

sweetbabe

sarNie Egg
I disagreed about the comment of the Thai speak more proper than Lao. There is no one type of people that speak more proper than other. In Lao or Thai, it all depend who you speak to or how you are raise (no offense).

For example:
1. Speaking to someone older: different style of speaking (i.e. proper lao or proper thai, etc)
2. Friends to friends: say what ever the hell you want
3. Someone superior: very proper

My point is that there are variation of speaking and it all depend on who you are speaking to or at! I noticed that this generation of kids do not know proper manner when speaking because their parents did not teach them the correct manner.

Wow...Champ i agree with everything you have said on this one :D .

IRukYou

sarNie Juvenile
I find that Issan language is mostly Lao, but a mixture of Thai. That's probably because they are settling on the boarder so close to Laos. Most Laotian will understand Issan, but most Thai will have problem understanding the language.

IRukYou

sarNie Juvenile
I agree with Champ. Go job!! Have you ever hear the Lao singer Alexandria? It is very proper. My little brother actually asked me this same questions "why does Lao language seem rude." I had to go into detailed to explain it, but in the end he seem to understand that it depend on words we are using in context, and not necessary that language. Whether its Thai, Lao, English, Spanish, or whatever, it have a proper way and an improper way to say things. For example, when talking to your friends it's probably more informal, and seem impolite by the elders. And when we talk to the elders, we usually use more of a respectable language, at least I hope so.

exp0

sarNie Juvenile
I love my culture but I don't love my country. I'm sure everyone agrees with me on this. Laos may not be up there in diplomacy unlike it's neighboring countries, but it sure as hell have alot of natural resources that other countries are bestowed upon.

sweetbabe

sarNie Egg
i agree with you about the culture but not the country. I love my country even though i wasn't born there but its my parent home land. laos can be a better place if there are no communist. look at cambodia country they use to be communist and now they are not wow...they are soo lucky...man, i wish laos and be freedom country like cambodia.

marduk

Sarnie Clown!
i agree with you about the culture but not the country. I love my country even though i wasn't born there but its my parent home land. laos can be a better place if there are no communist. look at cambodia country they use to be communist and now they are not wow...they are soo lucky...man, i wish laos and be freedom country like cambodia.
I heard from Ms. Ning-O that things were heating up in here so I had to check it out. I'm just jumping into the convo, so I hope you guys forgive me if I said something someone else already said. Anyway, first off, I want to say I completely agree with Champ. As for the Thai people not understanding Laos, I think they are just not trying hard enough because they look down on Lao people.

As for what you said sweetbabe...Laos is still a communist country, that is true. But from what I've seen traveling through both Laos and Cambodia, Laos is doing much better than Cambodia. There are a couple of reasons which I believe this is so. One is the brain drain that Cambodia went through. During Pol Pot's regime, he killed all the educated people in Cambodia. This might be wrong for me to say this, but I believe that genetically speaking, many of the talented Cambodians have either been killed or have left the country. Thus, you have people left in Cambodia who might not be as "talented" as they could be.

As for Laos, I do think they're doing better than Cambodia. The gov't is still communist, but it's pretty much all in name just like China nowadays. Even though it is still controlling, the gov't has open up a free market system and encouraged enterprise. The thing that is a problem though is Laos as a country. One, it's the only landlocked country in SE asia, so it doesn't have easy access to goods coming in like the other countries. Second, it has no railroads unlike any of the other Indochinese countries. That kinda blows. To illustrate, it took me 6 freaken hours to go from Vang Vieng to Luang Prabang by van. That trip would've taken just 2 hours on a straight road, but the whole trip was through the winding roads of the mountain.

Personally, if I was running the country, I would focus on creating a central bank so that Lao people can borrow money for businesses and then make sure there is a railroad system from Luang Prabang to Vientiane.

Ok, that's a lot that I wrote and it probably doesn't even relate to the thread but I wanted to share my thoughts.

champthong

sarNie Hatchling
I love my culture but I don't love my country. I'm sure everyone agrees with me on this. Laos may not be up there in diplomacy unlike it's neighboring countries, but it sure as hell have alot of natural resources that other countries are bestowed upon.
What do you mean by diplomacy? If you think Laos is bad wait until you do research about Burma, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, Malaysia, Philipines etc.

One more thing, how can you not love your country? Just because you don't like the government doesn't mean that you don't love your country! So, if you don't like the leader of your country, then you hate your country? I am still pretty sure that there are numerous that hate American government especially President George W Bush, but I do think that they still love their country! Hey, this is just my perspective and I respect your thoughts and opinions. Everyone is entitled to it!

Not going to get into this...

sweetbabe

sarNie Egg
marduk... cambodia country is getting better.. for not having communist. in cambodia yeah their might be smart people that die, got kill or whatever but have u thought about those smart cambodia who live in the united state and go back and help their country?? there a lot of lao people in the united state that are lao that don't help out the country because it communist and they dont' wanna deal with it. the only thing they deal with is try to get the communist out of the country but then again everybody know that its gonna be hard and will need more money and more help from other. I know that laos is landlock and they open up the free market system and encouraged enterprise but then again its not much. Just to let u know that there are a lot of laos people that want to go back to their homeland and help out their country but they can't if they do they will get kill from the communist. What i feel is i dont' care if lao country is improving or not, that can come later. All i care is for the people in laos to have freedom of speach.freedom to do what they thing its right for themself not what the government telling them what to do. you know what?? having green is nicer then having a lot of light lol hahaha. it more relaxing from of i think. marduk by reading what you said, sound like you just want to travel faster to get to point A to point B. Well u know what God made feet for us to walk use them . Anyways travel by car is better then train because you can stop anywhere u want. Even though it doesn't come with a bathroom but guess what there's bushes go do your business there hahaha lol or ask people that live there to use ther bathroom.

champthong

sarNie Hatchling
I heard from Ms. Ning-O that things were heating up in here so I had to check it out. I'm just jumping into the convo, so I hope you guys forgive me if I said something someone else already said. Anyway, first off, I want to say I completely agree with Champ. As for the Thai people not understanding Laos, I think they are just not trying hard enough because they look down on Lao people.

As for what you said sweetbabe...Laos is still a communist country, that is true. But from what I've seen traveling through both Laos and Cambodia, Laos is doing much better than Cambodia. There are a couple of reasons which I believe this is so. One is the brain drain that Cambodia went through. During Pol Pot's regime, he killed all the educated people in Cambodia. This might be wrong for me to say this, but I believe that genetically speaking, many of the talented Cambodians have either been killed or have left the country. Thus, you have people left in Cambodia who might not be as "talented" as they could be.

As for Laos, I do think they're doing better than Cambodia. The gov't is still communist, but it's pretty much all in name just like China nowadays. Even though it is still controlling, the gov't has open up a free market system and encouraged enterprise. The thing that is a problem though is Laos as a country. One, it's the only landlocked country in SE asia, so it doesn't have easy access to goods coming in like the other countries. Second, it has no railroads unlike any of the other Indochinese countries. That kinda blows. To illustrate, it took me 6 freaken hours to go from Vang Vieng to Luang Prabang by van. That trip would've taken just 2 hours on a straight road, but the whole trip was through the winding roads of the mountain.

Personally, if I was running the country, I would focus on creating a central bank so that Lao people can borrow money for businesses and then make sure there is a railroad system from Luang Prabang to Vientiane.

Ok, that's a lot that I wrote and it probably doesn't even relate to the thread but I wanted to share my thoughts.
Yes, I do agreed with you that Laos is doing better than Cambodia. But you cannot blame Laos for being undeveloped as comparing to Thailand because they have been in a long struggle with war. First, with Burmese, followed by Siamese aka Thai, then both Thai and Burmese at the same time. Then they a little time to rebuild what was in ruin including That Luang. Then came the French (French Indochina) and the Japanese followed by Vietnam War and then civil war. Too many wars in a small country. But since 2000 they are opening up and I would say doing better. When opportunity arises, I believe that Laos will be a prosperous country due to its enomerous natural resources. I am not going to get into detail why Thailand is head of Laos. If you want to know take history class or do your own research why they are ahead. All I can say is that flopped back and forth between sides.

They are in the process of building railway, paving their road, etc. They also are restructuring their banking system. By the end of 2007, Lao's banking system should be done restructuring because they want to be admit it into the WTO. I don't know if you know, but Laos is also making Savannakhet Province as a trade and service center (GMS:Greater Mekong Sub-Region). The East-West Corrido (EWC) will link Laos, Thailand and Vietname via road No.9. In addition there will also be a Savan-Seno Special Economic Zone (SSEZ). When it is done it will look so nice. I saw a computerize version of it. It looks great. Just like the trade center. Because Laos is a landlock country, when it is done, Laos will be able to link to Thailand, Cambodia, Myanmar, but most importantly it will link to Vietnamese sea port of Danang (about 500 km from the Zone) and the Thailand port of Bangkok (about 600 km from the Zone). Due to the strategic location, the development of the SSEZ is to become a center for service and trade of the East-West Corridor.
I believe that's one of the improvement that they need to work on. Businesses can borrow money from the bank, but like other banks around the world you will need to have a collateral.

Anywho, I may be off the topic, but I think it is fasinating (well at least to me) to read and know about world around us. So future business leader, undeveloped countries may become your potential markets for revenue.

Phon

sarNie Adult
Yes, I do agreed with you that Laos is doing better than Cambodia. But you cannot blame Laos for being undeveloped as comparing to Thailand because they have been in a long struggle with war. First, with Burmese, followed by Siamese aka Thai, then both Thai and Burmese at the same time. Then they a little time to rebuild what was in ruin including That Luang. Then came the French (French Indochina) and the Japanese followed by Vietnam War and then civil war. Too many wars in a small country. But since 2000 they are opening up and I would say doing better. When opportunity arises, I believe that Laos will be a prosperous country due to its enomerous natural resources. I am not going to get into detail why Thailand is head of Laos. If you want to know take history class or do your own research why they are ahead. All I can say is that flopped back and forth between sides.

They are in the process of building railway, paving their road, etc. They also are restructuring their banking system. By the end of 2007, Lao's banking system should be done restructuring because they want to be admit it into the WTO. I don't know if you know, but Laos is also making Savannakhet Province as a trade and service center (GMS:Greater Mekong Sub-Region). The East-West Corrido (EWC) will link Laos, Thailand and Vietname via road No.9. In addition there will also be a Savan-Seno Special Economic Zone (SSEZ). When it is done it will look so nice. I saw a computerize version of it. It looks great. Just like the trade center. Because Laos is a landlock country, when it is done, Laos will be able to link to Thailand, Cambodia, Myanmar, but most importantly it will link to Vietnamese sea port of Danang (about 500 km from the Zone) and the Thailand port of Bangkok (about 600 km from the Zone). Due to the strategic location, the development of the SSEZ is to become a center for service and trade of the East-West Corridor.
I believe that's one of the improvement that they need to work on. Businesses can borrow money from the bank, but like other banks around the world you will need to have a collateral.

Anywho, I may be off the topic, but I think it is fasinating (well at least to me) to read and know about world around us. So future business leader, undeveloped countries may become your potential markets for revenue.

Those war that you were talking about have nothing to do with Laos being undevelope. Those wars were 100 of years ago. Thailand got burn down by Burma and they recover move thier capital and became south east asia main power. I blame this problem on the communist Laos. They been in power for more then 30 years and what have they done in the past 30 years? nothing. Cambodia is undevelope becuase thier war was bad killing field. ya hear? Now that was bad and they never recover until the late 80's when United Nation came in. Thats why they arnt develope yet. But they will get there communist Lao been in power for more then a decade now and Laos still looks the same when the french ruled Laos. I havent seen them do anything. Beside getting loan and what do they do with all those loans? they put it in thier pocket. Now I am not saying this to offended anyone but its true. Communist China they been in power longer then Laos but look at thier cities all modernize and wealthy looking. Thailand got bomb in world war 2 they regroup and rebuild. After french gave power back to Laos the royal laos didnt even have much time to sit in power and build laos becuase those communist over threw them right after french return laos its freedom. The war with Thai and burma have nothing to do with laos being undevelope thats 100 years ago. 30 years of power is enough to rebuild only if you want to. Now they are open I agree maybe they realize that if they continue to close up thier border they will die of hunger. And I agree they are building stuff but not with thier own money its all loan from other countries. That wouldnt bug me alot if they didnt take half of those money in thier wallet. South east asia is corrupted. Not just Laos every asian nation is. The rail road is being built by Yen and baht money and so is other stuff. This goverment is clueless when it comes to rebuilding they always need help. And they need stop listening to Vietnam...Vietnam using them and they dont know it there about 75,000 viet soilders in laos today. Thats probably more then lao soilders thats enough to take over laos if they want to. They call vietnam thier brother since when is vietnam and laos the same tribe? Vietnam are friend Thai is the brother. But thier communist so communist are brothers. But blood they know who are related to them. Laos still lack ATM my uncle who went back to laos for visit had to carry a load of money on is bag lol. If that was me I be shit............and thai dont understand Lao well thats what lao people think. Thai understand lao they just cant speak it becuase dofferent accent. Just like Lao understand Thai but cant speak. Thai and Lao are like America and England. America have hard time hearing english words when they speak because of bad accent. I am Lao sometime I cant even understand those northern Lao accent becuase I am from the south. I be huh? wah? when they say come like mah to me I hear them say dog ma.......lol sorry didnt mean to mock the north but its true I dont understand you guys. Isan and Southern Laos speak with same accent. And our words are different then the north to. I think we the south have more simular words with the Thais then northern Laos. Laos and Thai are like 85% same words and another 15% are words that sound the same but different meaning. Like Laos say muey mean tired Thai muiey means aching. there alot Thai word that throw lao people off thier foot words we use they use to but different meaning. and its hard to understand something when you dont watch those stuff. Laos watch alot thai stuff probably mroe then thier own lao stuff. But Thai dont pay attentuion to lao entertainment for them its not good enough they like chinese japanese korean stuff. I dont like to watch lao movies either i seen it on the sattelite I couldnt stand watching it I flip it away I believe its horrible acting skills and bad storyline. One movie they didnt do anything but sit there and eat at the resturant and yell at one another I wonder if they even got a title for thier movies. No drama no action no funny scenes just talk talk talk. Cambodian movie now thiers are ok but still not great but better then laos movies. Um.................I am way off topic ok I will stop here. lol <_<

marduk

Sarnie Clown!

Agreed, and thanks for the info.

Sweetbabe, I don't just care about going faster from point A to point B. It's important for Laos to have a railroad system because it will help their economy quite a bit. Inefficient transportation of materials can really hinder economic growth.

And phon, there's some stuff I want to respond to you, but I'm just going to let Champ do that since you responded to him directly.

champthong

sarNie Hatchling
Agreed, and thanks for the info.

Sweetbabe, I don't just care about going faster from point A to point B. It's important for Laos to have a railroad system because it will help their economy quite a bit. Inefficient transportation of materials can really hinder economic growth.

And phon, there's some stuff I want to respond to you, but I'm just going to let Champ do that since you responded to him directly.
PHON,

I will respond to you when I have time! If other wants to jump in please feel free because I have been typing like a novel on all my responses.

But for now all I got to say is that it takes time! You cannot change a country over night. How long do you think it takes Thailand to be where it is now. And keeping in mind that war cost tremendous amount of money to finance it and the aftermath affect of a war is devastating and it needs time to build up again. I will stop here for now and will continue when I get the chance.

Marduk feel free to jump in anytime! I think some people just type what they feel or think and not taking into consideration that country need resources to rebuild the aftermath of the war that have caused.

champthong

sarNie Hatchling
... there a lot of lao people in the united state that are lao that don't help out the country because it communist and they dont' wanna deal with it. the only thing they deal with is try to get the communist out of the country but then again everybody know that its gonna be hard and will need more money and more help from other. I know that laos is landlock and they open up the free market system and encouraged enterprise but then again its not much. Just to let u know that there are a lot of laos people that want to go back to their homeland and help out their country but they can't if they do they will get kill from the communist. What i feel is i dont' care if lao country is improving or not, that can come later. All i care is for the people in laos to have freedom of speach.freedom to do what they thing its right for themself not what the government telling them what to do. you know what??
I know that this comment was made toward Marduk but I just had to make a comment here.

I agreed that there a lot of Lao people living in the United States ; however I would have to disagreed with you about Lao-American don't help out! I know a lot of Lao-American that went back to Laos P.D.R and contributed tremendous amount of money to their family, temples, school, etc as well Lao-French, Lao-British, Lao-Aussies, Lao-Kiwi, Lao-Swiss just to name a few. Laos is not as bad as what you think or heard nowaday! So, don't listen to one side of the story (there are two sides to every stories). I don't know in term exactly what you meant by "helping". And I don't think that Lao_American people are trying to remove the communist regime, but they would like to see it done. I don't think you will get kill if you contributed monetary or effort in helping the country to be more prosperous (YOU CAN TRUST ME ON THAT). Well, it might be the case for Southern Lao people, but I know that Northern Laos there is no problem with that. It must be because their are still royal blood parting in the government :yahoo: if you know what I mean by that....

By opening up a market that is a lot! That's where all the wealth and opportunity arises. I can't believe you would say that it is not much and you don't care if Laos P.D.R is improving or not. I would like to see every countries in the world improved (so there will be no one saying this country is suck and this country is better. This way every countries have the same level of competing, instead of developed competing agains undeveloped, etc)and don't have to face obstacles. This way, every human beings can enjoy lives.

noungning

Heartless
lol welcome mike-o!

i have to agree with champ.

i would quote but there's too much going on.

sweetbabe/marduk/champ/phon - from what sweetbabe is talking about, i think she is coming from a perspective of seeing lao-americans going back and declares themselves as an anti-communist and tries to rebuild the country to the original stage it once was and gets murdered. but like champ mentioned, there are numerous amount of lao people who's migrated to various countries going back to revamp laos. building temples is one of the major ones, sad to know that the temples gets more money than schools, but that's the truth. i understand that it is a communist country but the saying goes if you don't intend to hurt, no one can hurt you. if you are purely going back to laos to make things better without declaring a war against the communist, then i don't think you will have a problem. as for industrialization, that is the core foundation of economy, you can't build a house without putting up the foundation. same goes for the economy, you cannot expect laos to become something like thailand, if they are sitting still and just thinking someday it'd appear on it's own. the little improvements, building roads and air conditioned malls are being placed in laos, giving people jobs, and this was made possible again because of thailand. additionally to what champ said, rebuilding after any type of war takes time. regardless of how wealthy the country is. like when the united states got attacked by terrorists on 9/11. it took them almost a good 3 years to recover and clean. and the process of rebuilding the structure, i'm not exactly sure how long it'd take. now look at laos, economically and financially unstable will like take 10+ years to recover something like that, but this they are not only lacking the two, they have no type of leadership that is doing things to improve for the better. at least, they are allowing those minor developments, although it'd take years, but it will surely improve.

sweetbabe

sarNie Egg
I know that this comment was made toward Marduk but I just had to make a comment here.

I agreed that there a lot of Lao people living in the United States ; however I would have to disagreed with you about Lao-American don't help out! I know a lot of Lao-American that went back to Laos P.D.R and contributed tremendous amount of money to their family, temples, school, etc as well Lao-French, Lao-British, Lao-Aussies, Lao-Kiwi, Lao-Swiss just to name a few. Laos is not as bad as what you think or heard nowaday! So, don't listen to one side of the story (there are two sides to every stories). I don't know in term exactly what you meant by "helping". And I don't think that Lao_American people are trying to remove the communist regime, but they would like to see it done. I don't think you will get kill if you contributed monetary or effort in helping the country to be more prosperous (YOU CAN TRUST ME ON THAT). Well, it might be the case for Southern Lao people, but I know that Northern Laos there is no problem with that. It must be because their are still royal blood parting in the government :yahoo: if you know what I mean by that....

By opening up a market that is a lot! That's where all the wealth and opportunity arises. I can't believe you would say that it is not much and you don't care if Laos P.D.R is improving or not. I would like to see every countries in the world improved (so there will be no one saying this country is suck and this country is better. This way every countries have the same level of competing, instead of developed competing agains undeveloped, etc)and don't have to face obstacles. This way, every human beings can enjoy lives.

hey.. i never said all the lao people in the united state i said some will help and some will not.... i'm not listening to one side either. i'm just saying what i think.. As for me i just don't like communist....and i dont' like those lao deang that is run around and taking over laos. You just dont know what they did to my grandparent when they did nothing wrong. this is soo stupid.. man talking about one thing end up talking about something else. Oh yeah about they put money in the temple ,school and, etc. still there's not much jobs that why laos people go to thailand to get a job.
Okay, i see they making laos country better but the people is not making much money i still see them being poor. My Point is i want to see more jobs for people in laos so they dont have to go to other country looking for jobs.