Always in My Heart || Aum & Aff [CHAPTER 8 UPDATED!!!]

Iya

sarNie Adult
Soriya stood frozen to the spot, unable to comprehend what had just occurred. The marketplace, one of the places she had always enjoyed herself most, had suddenly became a horror house, one she desperately wanted to escape, yet couldn’t. She couldn’t command herself to walk, much less leave.

In the distance, the barely register Monthai talking to the many stalls owner, paying and making apology for the damages. And she couldn’t register either, the whispers of the shoppers, who stood staring at her with disgust in their eyes, and then walked away. Other, ones who are more opened mind, didn’t say a word and walked away, but not before she noticed the pity in their eyes. What happened? How did this happen? And why?

“So…” She felt Monthai coming to her, and his arm supporting her back. “Let’s get out of here.” She nodded, feeling herself going into autopilot mode. This cannot be happening…

Somehow, Monthai was able to get her into his car and soon, they were on the streets. “It’s okay, So,” Monthai started, keeping his eyes on the road. “Don’t make a big deal of it.”

She closed her eyes, trying to forget the episode from a few minutes ago. “I will.” But even as she said it, she knew that she’ll never forget, even in a million years. She stared out the window. How does one go about forgetting that the love of their life humiliating them in front of public?

What started out as a good day abruptly turned into the one of most unfortunate day of her life.

Because Monthai’s birthday is coming up, she had promised to make him his favorite dish as a gift, something she has always done since they became friends. So Monthai had accompanied her to the market stalls to help carry the groceries.

While they were going from stall to stall, Soriya accidently tripped. Somehow, Monthai managed to break her fall, by grabbing her waist and pulling her, full length, against him. Due to the shock, they were in a trance for a moment, until they realized people were staring.

It wasn’t until he let her go and she was trying to straighten herself when she noticed that it wasn’t just the shoppers who were staring. Because five feet away from them, stood an expressionless Harit Rangsiman…

And things went downhill from there.

Motionless, Soriya stood still as Harit look from her to Monthai, then back to her again. “Excuse me,” he said, thinly, and started to walked past them.

Unfortunately, without knowing, Soriya quickly grabbed his arm, just as he brushed by her. She didn’t know why she even bothered…but she couldn’t let him misunderstood her. “It’s…it’s not what you think.”

Harit paused, and looked at her hand on his arm. “I’m sorry, but I’m not interested in any explanation. There are more important matters that need my attention.” He made a move to leave.

Soriya stopped him again, her grip tighter against his arm. Though they stood facing opposite directions, she can feel him judging her, like aways. “Why…why didn’t you ever try to hear my part of the story?” He didn’t answer her. Instead, he started to walk again. She felt her temper rising up. It’s always like this. Ever since they were young, whenever something happened, Harit had never listened to her side of the story. No matter how much she wanted him too.

She started to remember all the times he ignored her efforts to clear a misunderstanding, all those little misunderstandings that convinced him she wasn’t good enough to be friends with his younger sister. The little misunderstandings that drew them farther and farther apart, and made her worthless in his eyes… And because she was young, she had always blamed herself for it.
Maybe she was wrong, that’s why he wasn’t listening her. Maybe she disappointed him. Maybe she should have done it a different way. Maybe then, he wouldn’t get mad at her or would dislike her a little less. Maybe…maybe...

Maybe.

Now that she thought of it, it’s always she who had always made an effort in to retain what a miserable excuse of a relationship she ever thought—no, hoped—they had.

She swiftly turned around and looked at him. “WHY?! At least tell me why?”

Harit continued to be silent. For a moment, she thought he wouldn’t answer her. Finally, he turned to face her, his eyes scanning her up and down before looking over to Monthai. “Why?” he asked softly, before returning his glance to her. “I don’t need to tell a woman like you.”

Soriya blinked.

“It’s already one thing for you to lead the nose of others closed to you, especially the men you chose to associate with. But it’s another thing for me to fall prey to it too. Don’t you understand?” There was a satisfying glint in his eyes as he watched her become speechless. “Women like you may succeed in playing the innocent and the goody-two-shoes, but there are men who can see through you. And I’m no fool. I can see through the desperate man-hungry slut that you are, so please spare me more of your lies in your pitiful attempt to blind me with your supposed innocence.” He glanced down at the hand that held clasped against his suit jacket sleeve. He jerked his arm apart as if the mere touch of her hand disgusted him. “Excuse me. But unlike some people, I do have responsibilities I need to attend to.”

He turned to leave, but not before a huge fist drove straight into his face. “You can attend to that, you miserable bastard!”

Still shocked from Harit’s attack, she didn’t realize that Monthai had retaliated to the exchanged and punched Harit straight in the face. “You have no right to call her a slut when you don’t even know anything about her! Before you judge other, take a look at yourself in the mirror. What sort of decent man goes around slandering false lies against a woman? It makes me sick to know that people like you revolve in our society.”

Harit quickly recovered and threw a punch at Monthai. Though So was in shock, she was still able to comprehend that Harit’s punch was able to knock Monthai off his feet and sent him sprawling into the stalls closed by, despite their similar stature. “You don’t know anything! If you have any common sense, you stay away from this woman. One day, she will give you a cause to regret for the rest of your days.”

Not wanting to bested, Monthai got up to resume the fight, but a hand on his shoulder gave him a pause. He looked over to Soriya, who came to stand by his side. But she wasn’t looking at him, she staring at Harit, who was looking at her hand on Monthai’s shoulder.

He sneered and spoke, his eyes never leaving Soriya. “Looks as if she made you another of her target. I pity you, and wish you luck. You will need it.” With that, he turned and strode away in the crowd, where more and more people are gathering to watch and whisper.

Soriya wiped a tear that slid free, her thoughts still on the work from the man she loved her whole life. I can see through the desperate man-hungry slut that you are, so please spare me more of your lies in your pitiful attempt to blind me with your supposed innocence. She thought she would be used to it by now. His words shouldn’t hurt anymore. She spent ten years hardening her heart, damn it! Especially where he is concerned.

But why? Why does it still hurt even when she knew it wasn’t true? Why does her heart still constrict at his hatred of her. Won’t he ever forgive her?

“So?”

“I want to go home,” she stated simply.

Monthai glanced at her briefly and then turned to keep his eyes on the road. “So, don’t stress too much. Words from a man like that shouldn’t even weight an ounce in your eyes, Don’t let it destroy such a perfect day.”

“I know,” She simply answered. He was right. And she knows that she much smarter than that. But still… she’s a fool if she is to believe that.

Harit shoved his hand through his hair as she sat in his office, attempting to refresh all the detailed points of the contract he planned to show Mr. Johnson for their meeting. But instead, he found himself only recalling the details of the past hour, during a situation that he wishes to forget for the rest of his days.

In all of his life, Harit had pride himself on being able to control his emotions and maintaining his self-control. But one slip of a woman had destroyed all that. He cannot even recall a time where he said such insults to a woman. So how could he lose himself like that?

He sighed and rubbed his nosed as he leaned back against his chair, not feeling proud of himself for the very first time in his life. If his father knows of this, he’ll be disappointed. And his mother and sister?

He shuddered and closed his eyes, rubbing his face with his hands. He couldn’t imagine how they’ll think and react when they found out. Luckily, a relief washed through him when he realized that Soriya is the not type of tattle.

That Monthai is another story, though. But then again, Monthai has more to lose if he opens his mouth. For one thing, Soriya’s reputation would be ruined. If he plans on marrying her, then it will do him no good to make things worse for her, even if it means getting revenge for her. However…

Harit shook his head. He needs to stop thinking about this. Determined to put it aside, he shuffled through the contract and reviewed it again— or at least attempting to review it again.

Thirty minutes later, just after he was able to concentrate, his secretary knocked on the door. Harit looked up. “Good you’re here,” he said as he straightened from his chair. “Please take these documents and prepare it for the meeting. I’ll see you there.” This was spoken as he grabbed his suit jacket and put it on as he headed for the door.

“Umm… Mr. Rangsiman?”

Harit was too preoccupied with buttoning his jacket to look up. “Yes. Is there something?”

“There will not be a meeting sir.”

His fingers paused. He glanced at her, puzzlement in his eyes. “What?”

The secretary replied again. “There will not be a meeting, sir. They called and cancelled an hour ago…”

----------------------------------------------------------------------​

How was that for update? I hadn't update this one in a long time, so I hope you guys aren't too disappointed. IN the meanwhile, I shortened the story up a lot in an attempt to focus on the main couple, so hopefully it will end sooner for you guys.

Let me know what you guys think of this chapter! ^^

Koy123

sarNie OldFart
SoriyaX, When are you going to continue this? It Was getting so good! I hope you do...

Iya

sarNie Adult
SoriyaX, When are you going to continue this? It Was getting so good! I hope you do...
Haha, sorry. I didn't realized that it's been a long time. don't worry, this one will continue. and you're right. it's getting to the good part. I think you'll gonna love the next few chapters as the relationship between them will transforms. and later, an accident will cause Harit to take a closer at his feelings...and I'm very sure the lot of you will love it. ^_^

I'll see if i can get the chapter up this weekend.

Starstruck

sarNie Egg
OMG! I'm so glad to hear that you will be continuing this story! I'm really looking forward to the relationship transforming and yes it is up to the good part. Cant wait for more.

Vimalee

Live Love Laugh
Thank you na for continuing with this story. Cannot wait to read more. It must have been so long ago that don't remember why Harit was so bitter with Soriya.

Iya

sarNie Adult
IYA EVERYONE! I'm back for another chapter. I'm sure most of you probably forgot the plot, but here's the next chapter of the story. I'm trying my best to get this written down. Hopefully the next chapter would be done very soon. Enjoy!

Chapter 8:

“Please wait here for a moment, Miss. I will see if he will see you.”

Soriya nodded and sat down as directed by the office secretary. On outward appearance, she opt to look as calm and compose as she could be, when her emotions were ready far from anything but. Her mind drifted to a conversation she had with Thawan a few days earlier as she sat alone in the waiting room.

“I don’t know what to do about brother anymore,” Thawan had confided in her when they had met up as they usually do every other week. “Ever since Mr. Johnson cancelled out on the meeting, he’d locked himself in his office doing his best to set up another meeting and clear the misunderstanding.”
By then, So had heard about the failed meeting. “Misunderstanding? I thought the meeting was canceled due to a problem in Mr. Johnson’s schedule.”

Thawan didn’t even look up as she admired the dress on the stand. “That was just a cover up from both sides. But if it was only that, I wouldn’t have worried.”

A frown creased on her forehead. “Huh?’

Her friend sighed and turned to look at her. “I’m just as confused as you. Everything was going so great, and suddenly, everything just blew out of proportion. And no one knew what happened.”

“But you said there was a misunderstanding?

“That’s even more confusing.” Suddenly growing tense, Thawan pulled her to the corner of the shop and leaned closed. “On the day Harit went to speak to Mr. Johnson, I happened to be there too. Though I didn’t go into the office when they were speaking, but I heard bits and pieces. For reasons beyond me, Mr. Johnson said that he refused to work with Harit. He said that brother is not a gentleman, ‘a man who is judgmental and disrespectful against women,’ to quote his exact words.”

To say she was shocked would have been an understatement. “What?” She tried to picture Harit in that light and the image was impossible to envision. Harit had always been perfect gentleman, a paragon of society. Except with her, he had always treated women with respect. To accuse him of being anything but is more than bewildering.

“I was speechless!” Thawan exclaimed. “But apparently there was some misunderstanding. At first I thought there must be someone who had spoken badly of my brother. Then I heard from Mr. Johnson’s secretary that he himself had witness a scene where brother was having a confrontation with a woman in the market.” Soriya froze. No, it can’t be. “And it was obvious that it was very bad. She said words were exchanged and brother was saying quite dreadful things to the woman. Can’t you believe it? My brother, having a confrontation and insulting a woman? Harit is nothing if not a private man. Even if he have the mind to confront someone, he would do it behind closed door, never mind in front of the public eyes. I’m telling you, So, Mr. Johnson must have mistaken brother for someone else.”

But he hadn’t, Soriya thought, as she started recalling that unfortunate scene in the market. Harit had been all Mr. Johnson had accused.

“Miss.” So looked up to see the secretary calling her from the door leading into the office. “Mr. Johnson will see you now.”

She quickly thanked the woman and entered the office. Taking a deep breath, she hoped that all would go well.

It’s time to make amends and help put an end to a closing chapter in her life.

Two days later, Soriya was finishing up and was getting ready to close shop for the day. Her employees has already left and Soriya planned to spend the rest of the day packing as she is to leave for the country this weekend and will be there for a couple of weeks.

Her nanny is feeling sickly again and she doesn’t want to leave the woman in the care of busy relatives who may not have sufficient time to care for her. Monthai had offer to give her a ride but she had flatly refused. It was time that she start to distance herself from him. 

Ever since her ordeal with Harit, he had been more adamant in his pursuit in some misguided attempts to console her. She appreciated his efforts but if she do not put a stop to it, it will be mistaken as an encouragement. It was the last thing she wanted.

Now that she spoken to Mr. Johnson, the guilt she felt for the misunderstanding had receded incredibly. All that left was the blunt that Harit had dealt her that day at the market. She can still hear his accusations and insulting words in her head. But she was determined to put it all behind her, as she had the day she step foot into Thailand’s soil again. She’ll be spending weeks away from Bangkok, away from him. That will give her time to lick her wounds and start afresh. 

She had just finished locking the keys to her shop her arm was grabbed and she gasped as she was spun around abruptly. When she face her culprit, she was stunned to find that it was Harit. She opened her mouth to demand he let her go, but one look at his face and her words died at her lips. 

Hand hard and unbreakable on her arm, he dragged her from her stop and toward the huge building where he worked. Due to his work habit, Harit usually stay a few hours later than the usual kept hours and some of his staff had also opt to do the same. At the moment, they pause in their work to stare as Harit dragged her behind him up the flights of stairs. It was obvious from their expressions that she was the first to be given the honors of being dragged up the stairs by him.

His office was on the third floor of the huge building, his floor looking very well kept and freshly decorated as intended for visitors and alike. The secretary had gone home for the day as it stood empty and clean as they brushed by. Pushing the door to his office opened, he shoved her in and closed the door behind him with a definite slam.

Being dragged across a busy street, up two flights of stair, and across a whole floor to his office was more than enough for Soriya to endure. She was huffing and puffing as she struggled to catch her breath. A quick glance at Harit no evidence of such. It was obvious that he was use to physical exertions. Seeming to be oblivious of her distress, he cross the room and sat behind his desk. She glared at him as she sat gingerly across from him. “Is it too much to ask, Khun Harit, not to be dragged around like a chattel whenever you feel the need to me?” she asked as she tried to recover her breath.

Hard eyes bored into her “Considering this is the first time, I’ll try to consider your flight the next you did such an idiotic thing.”

As if there will be next time, she thought. Suddenly she frown as the rest of his words comprehend. “What idiotic thing are you talking about?”

He didn't even blink. “Mr. Johnson.”

At the mention of the name, So straightened in her chair, recovering enough breath to finally focus. “I wouldn't call it idiotic. In fact, you should thank me.”

He gave a frustrated sigh. “For what? For destroying your reputation over a contract? For putting yourself in a position where you will be forever judge based on an idiotic attempt to save a contract that may or not be until both parties comes into an agreement. Let me remind you that it was all to be negotiated in that cancelled meeting. In other word it may have amount to nothing.”

“Had it amount to nothing?” she asked simply.

He frowned at her for a long moment before giving into a sigh. “No,” he admitted. “We had the meeting yesterday and so far, the negotiation is going in a good direction. I had also had a private meeting with Mr. Johnson and he seem to be very interested in what we have to offer.” A moment of silence followed. “He was the one who revealed what you did.”

Soriya stayed quiet. She knew what Mr. Johnson had told him, even though she had hoped he would keep it a secret. At first, she even entertained the idea to ask for Mr. Johnson’s confidence in the matter but she knew Harit well. He would not stop until he find out why Mr. Johnson had changed his mind. At the end, she nurtured the hope that he’ll just let it go at that since he would have gotten what he wanted anyway. It didn't surprise her that he didn't.

“Why did you do that?” he ask, softy.

“If I didn't lie to him, he will still misunderstand you,” she replied. “So it’s the only way to resolve it.” She thought of what could have happen if she hadn't and was glad that she did. A part of her will always wish Harit well, even when he was less deserving of it, and she will gladly do what she can to help him. She knew he was referring to the lies that she had told Mr. Johnson.

Upon meeting the man, she had carefully explained that it was all a misunderstand on Mr. Johnson part as he didn't know the full story. Upon further questions, she had forced herself stray from the truth, informing him that she was in a serious relationship with Harit and they were even planning to get married.

However, she had changed her mind after meeting some else and had ended their relationship, in turn hurting him dreadfully. Her relationship with the new man did not last long however and in realizing that, she had hope to get back with Harit. Unfortunately, he had never forgiven her and that confrontation at the market happened because she had attempted to ask for it there. Of course, all was very far from the truth, but Mr. Johnson believed her. 

When he asked why she was there to see him, she simply informed him that she is there to amend for the hurt and the betrayal she had caused Harit. That she already lost all hope of returning to him, but at the least, she’ll be able to do something good for him in return for the love and affection he once gave her.

Her tasked completed, she had left the office knowing that Mr. Johnson will reconsider meeting with Harit again now that the truth is out.

“You shouldn’t have done it. If words get out, what would happen to your reputation?” He said with obvious frustration and irritation. 

“Reputation? I thought you already destroyed it in front of the public. So what reputation do I have?”

He moved to say something, but she beat him to it.

“No, don’t apologize. I’ll never forgive you for that.”

“Fine, I won't. Now, regarding the contract matter, you shouldn't have done it. I would have found another way to resolve it somehow.”

“If there is another way, you would have already done it. But you know that the chairman is a man of words. He never goes back on his it. So that was the only way to get him to even reconsider it. But…to think about it…to be honest…that's not what bothering you at all, does it? What you really worried is that you owe me. That I had ‘ruined,’ as you put it, my reputation to help you, not that you didn't already done it in the market. But now you owe me.”

Harit flamed at her words. “Yes. I hate being obligated to people. In my entire life, I had never owed anyone anything. For your sake, I had ask for Mr. Johnson’s confidence in the matter and he had given it for reason that it was not his private business. Your reputation and lies will be safe with him. But the obligation I owe to you is another matter...”

The room grew quiet and Soriya stared at him for a long moment as she considered his words. “Fine then. If you don’t like to owe me anything, why don’t you repay the debt?” she suggested. At his puzzled expressions, she continued. “You do three things for me.”

“What?”

She didn't what had come to her head, but she held out three fingers. “Three things,” she repeated. “The first to lay to rest any and all grievances we had of one another, the second for the day you insulted me in the market, and the last for when I helped you settle the contract. Once the deeds are done, we no longer owe each other anything. We’ll be free of each other and any relations we have to each other will be strictly enforce to indifference acquaintances.”

She wait as Harit pondered over her words. His fingers tapping on the desk as he level his eyes over her. The room became unbearably quiet. Her heart pounding against her chest as she await his decision. She didn’t know what spurred her to offer such a deal, but she was tired of fighting him, fighting herself and her feelings. Maybe with this, she can finally end everything and start all over. “Okay. I’ll do three things for you,” he finally said, interrupting her thoughts. He leaned back in his chair, he locked deeply into her eyes. “Tell me, what is my first task?”

Not allowing herself to consider her requests, she quickly revealed it. “Five minutes.”

“What?”

“For five minutes, I want you to stand there and not do anything at all.”

“You want me to not do anything and just stand?” he asked incredulously. 

She lifted her eyebrow in challenge. “Yes. However, if it’s too much of a challenge...”  

Having never back from a challenge in his life, Harit threw her a warning glance as he stood up to do her bidding. “Fine. But this better now be—” His words trailed off. Not just his words, but his entire being suddenly seemed to freeze in time. Because in that moment, Soriya was already across the desk and gingerly wrapped her arms around his waist and leaned her head into the curved of his neck.

His mind ceased to work all together, he discovered with astonishment. Soriya, the woman he despised all his life, was holding him in a tender embrace... and alarmingly, he had the sudden urge to do the same. As if it has a mind of its own, his arms slowly crept up her back until it it enveloped her to him. A sweet scent drift from her and he can smell a variety of fragrances, from roses to jasmines to tuberose to other assorted flowers she must have kept in her floral shop.

Allowing himself to press his face closer to her shoulder, he inhaled the sweet scent of her and savored the softness of her against him. Never in his life had he held anyone as soft and enticing as he held her. For a long moment, no one spoke.

“I’m sorry,” she suddenly whispered so quietly that he almost didn't hear her.

His arms tightened around her, as if afraid to break their contact. “Why?” he said, founding his voice to be rough and harsh.

She pressed her face further into his shoulder and felt the deep breath she’d taken. “It seems that whenever I try to do right by you, it backfires and you would end up even more bitter with me.”

He didn't know what to say at her admission. A part of him wanted to console her, but couldn't because what she had said is true, and he was not sure of what she meant by trying to do right by him. She was obvious not just talking about his contract with Mr. Johnson. For the life of him, he wasn't able to figure out what she meant, not that his mind was trying very hard at that moment. It was too busy savoring the moment. His hand came up to rub soothing circles over her back. He held her like that a another long moment. “What is my next task?” he asked, suddenly wanting to hear her voice. 

He was bemused when he felt her answering smile on his chest. “I don’t know,” she admitted. “ I've never thought that far.”

Somehow, that made him chuckled and he made no effort to hide it. “Great God, you must have lost your touch as a devious minx.”

Soriya laughed, knowing from his tone that he was only teasing. “Don’t worry, I’m not going to ask you to anything that goes against your morals. I’ll just save it up for when I may need something of you. Just let it eat at you until I finally come for them.”

He rolled his eyes but then realized that she cannot see that. “Please do hesitate to find me. Coming from you, I’m not sure I want to know what they are.” This sentence was followed by an immediate pause from both himself and Soriya. 

He was teasing her.

And it was the second time that very moment that he had done so. It came as a shock to the both of them as this was the side he never graced her with. He was never this familiar with her, always schooling himself to be anything but. Whenever she was around, he was careful to be indifferent, to keep a respectable distance from her unless he suspect she was up to something again. 

But this is different. Not only is he teasing her, he was also holding her in his arm, his body already become familiar with hers. It was amazing the transformation in himself that came when they’re like this. Not only did he felt that this was something he had waited a very very long time for, he also has the longing to share himself with her. His secrets, his desires, his everything. He frowned at the knowledge and tried to understand why it was happening. 

During his pondering however, he didn't not realized that Soriya had stiffened in his arms until she started pushing against his chest. He looked down at her and allowed her the pull away, his arms now resting at her waist. “What is it?” he asked softly.

Soriya kept her gaze away from him and the clock to their left. “It’s been ten minutes,” she said. Frowning, he looked up at the grandfather clock to find that she was right. It had been ten minutes. The both of them too entrance by their embrace to recognize the passing of time. Still, he was reluctant to relinquish his hold on her. 

She took that matter into her own hand by backing a step away from him. He acutely feel the lost of her warmth. Until then he didn't realize how much he cherished it. A great part of him want to pull her into his arms again, but the more reasonable and logical part of him informed that it was not appropriate. So he left her go, thrusting his hands into his pocket to them then from reach for her.

Fidgeting at her hand, she continued to look away from him. “Now that everything’s settle, I hope we’ll not see each other again, and even if we do, I hope that we can be civil to each other,” she said in rush.

“Soriya...” he said softly, seeing a pinkish blush appeared on her face and down her neckline. He sympathized. His heart is still pounding, his body still flushing from the impact of their embrace 

She flinched, becoming redder. “I have to get going. I have packing to do and it’s-”

“Where are you going?” he asked, not liking the idea that she was leaving.

“To see my nanny,” she quickly replied. “She’s not feeling well. And I plan to take care of her.” As she said this, she quickly inched toward the door. “I wish you well and am very glad that you’ll get a chance at that contract. As for our agreement, if I come up with anything, I’ll let you know, though I doubt we’ll be seeing each other again very soon. But until then...”

He started after her. “Soriya...”

“Goodbye!” She was out the door before he can say anything more. 

----------------------------------------------​
 ​
That will be all for the moment. I hope you guys enjoy that. This chapter was supposed to happen a little different but at the last moment, I've decide to add a little intimacy between the couple. I found it to be better for them as both are very stubborn characters and there was no easier way to break the invisible barrier they've build around one another without a little unexpected intimacy. See ya for the next update.​
 ​
Please comment. I love to hear your opinion on the story.​