Any Computer Person in Here?

smilealways06

sarNie Adult
Anyone in here know if I install a new internal hard drive, do i need to install a new motherboard along with it? Or can i just install the hard drive but don't need a new mother board....I think the hard drive is wear out and need a new one. Will changing a new hard drive makes the computer run faster or changing a mother board? Or does it have to do with the memory? Please in need of help here...Thanks in advance...

KEdoubleNY

sarNie Adult
There's a lot of things you need to install to make your computer faster. One being lots of hard drive space and RAM memory. And No you don't need to install a new motherboard to install a hard drive. As long as your motherboard support the hard drive. Also you would need some wires to connect the hard drive. Oh, look in your PC if you have space to put in the new hard drive. But since you're replacing the old one with new one ... I think you should have space. You can also keep both if you have space as long as the old one still run.

Btw, did you buy the PC or was it custom built. If you bought it then you can't really do nothing to it beside adding more RAM memory if you haven't max it out and replacing a hard drive or installing a extra one if you got room.

dynomite

Wanna-Be เจ้าชู้
Your question is a little complicated to answer. It depends on the PC and the Hard drive that you purchased. You have to determine what type of connection it has. IDE, SCSI, SATA are some of the terms used. If your motherboard is old, it most likely won't be able to connect to a newer SATA drive. You might as well ask someone who has experience to figure everything out for you...

smilealways06

sarNie Adult
the computer is bought at best buy and has a hard drive of 200 gb ATA serial drive...so what is the difference between SATA and ATA serial? do i buy the SATA or the ATA serial? does it matter what kind of drive i need to buy for the computer?

KEdoubleNY

sarNie Adult
Yea, you can buy the SATA hard drive and install it in. SATA mean Serial ATA. There are two types of ATA; SATA & PATA. PATA meaning Parallel ATA. The different between ATA, IDE, and SCSI are the back of the hard drive where you plug the wire in. IDE uses the big 40/80 pin ribbons. SATA uses much smaller ones.

Well, if you gonna get a new hard drive than I suggest you get a 1TB (1000gb) 7200rpm ATA drive. Just make sure your motherboard support a 1TB 7200rmp hard drive tho. Prices is around $85-$100 depending where you get it at. You can check www.microcenter.com or www.newegg.com. They have good deals on hard drive. If you can't order online than Bestbuy or your local computer stores will carry them.

smilealways06

sarNie Adult
Yea, you can buy the SATA hard drive and install it in. SATA mean Serial ATA. There are two types of ATA; SATA & PATA. PATA meaning Parallel ATA. The different between ATA, IDE, and SCSI are the back of the hard drive where you plug the wire in. IDE uses the big 40/80 pin ribbons. SATA uses much smaller ones.

Well, if you gonna get a new hard drive than I suggest you get a 1TB (1000gb) 7200rpm ATA drive. Just make sure your motherboard support a 1TB 7200rmp hard drive tho. Prices is around $85-$100 depending where you get it at. You can check www.microcenter.com or www.newegg.com. They have good deals on hard drive. If you can't order online than Bestbuy or your local computer stores will carry them.
wow...thanks for the clarification but how do i check if my motherboard support a 1TB 7200rmp hard drive?

KEdoubleNY

sarNie Adult
Since you bought it at best buy ... you can go ask them. They have geeksquad at bestbuy. Hopefully they still have your computer in stock. If not just write the computer name (HP Pavillion s70gxxx) and ask them if it support the hard drive.

smilealways06

sarNie Adult
Since you bought it at best buy ... you can go ask them. They have geeksquad at bestbuy. Hopefully they still have your computer in stock. If not just write the computer name (HP Pavillion s70gxxx) and ask them if it support the hard drive.
oh okay thanks for the help...i so appreciated ur helping...^_^