[Ch3] Rising Sun Series 1: Roy Ruk Hak Liam Tawan (Maker Group)

phoenix81

sarNie Juvenile
Just watched Episode 4 without eng subtitles as Viki hasn’t fully subbed all the vid yet. Even though I don’t really understand all the conversations, I love…I repeat….I LOVE all of Takeshi and Seiko’s scenes. They were really cute and sweet together. But in this episode, there were many sad scenes between them
too. Both Mario and Taew were so into their characters that they both able to lead each other’s emotions in all the scenes. We are gradually seeing the
transformation in Takeshi which I really enjoy so far. He is firm, serious, able to stand on his own without being influence by others yet compassionate, kind
and understanding. So far I can see and feel the Souryo in him. I read somewhere before that Mario was suppose to play the role of Ryu. Although some
might still think he looks baby-face to hold this role, I find him perfect for the role of Takeshi. I can’t imagine Mario playing the role of Ryu. Don’t get
me wrong. Ryu is an interesting and fun character. He knows when to have fun and when to be serious but personally, I can’t imagine Mario in Ryu’s
character. Moreover, Nadech was good as Ryu :)

I love how Takeshi gets all concern, serious and angry when he knew Seiko was in trouble. All those scenes of Takeshi talking to the elders and to Ryu about rescuing Seiko (I supposed so coz there wasn’t any eng sub) were very well acted. Besides loving and swooning over gentle and sweet Takeshi, I love angry and manly Takeshi too. In fact, those angst and emotionally-charged scenes make his character stand out more. I think someone from this thread did mention before
that Mario’s eyes did most of the talking/acting. I couldn’t agree more. Mario really surprises me in this lakorn. So far, I am liking Mario’s acting and role
in ‘The Rising Sun'

Here is another Fanmade Vid of Takeshi and Seiko. Enjoy!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4KK-pU6Bno
Credit: ImomoStudio

phoenix81

sarNie Juvenile
Since we have to wait a week before we can see our lovely lovebirds, let's indulge in some of their videos together.

I am not sure what this program is about but I can guess it's to promote 'Rising Sun'. Wished there was a Eng sub!! Sometimes I wished I could understand Thai so I know what's being said or talked about when I watch videos of Mario and Taew! Both  of them looked so cute during the BTS..
(Not sure if someone has already posted this vid here)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it45xeE8h1M
Credit: ThaiTV Online

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSm37y9tPn4
Credit:yum pooma

jeedlove

sarNie Hatchling
Originally, I wasn't planning on watching this lakorn since I didn't find the storyline to be particularly interesting. Luckily, someone here shared the link to Lovefia's blog and I was intrigued through her wonderful episode recaps (I don't remember who it was but Thank you!)

Goodness, I'm absolutely adoring Mario/Taew as a pairing. They're just oozing with so much natural chemistry, dare I say the best I've seen in a long time since my favorite couple, Willy/Mew. I really commend both Mario and Taew in here as they make their characters  and love story believable for me. Mario's eyes are very expressive and captivating. I can feel the emotions he's conveying just with his facial expressions alone. On the other hand, Taew's portrayal of the sweet, fragile Seiko is so effortless. Another thing I must add is that all the supporting casts are wonderful! They're equally convincing with their respective characters. 

Now my one gripe has to be Ryu and Mayumi's couple. I feel as if their interactions are a little too cutesy for my personal taste and VERY very reminiscent of Nadech/Yaya's roles in their previous lakorns together. When I see them on screen, I don't necessarily see Ryu or Mayumi but rather just slightly older versions of Fai and Jeed. Maybe it's just me but Yaya's acting has degraded quite a bit. I thought she was excellent in Kularb Rai Nam and Duangjai Akanee however, since then I haven't been seeing the same quality acting from her anymore. I would have thought that given a more grown up role like Mayumi would help her to broaden her abilities but I'm rather disappointed because in here, her speech and expressions come off so forced. I honestly believe that she has so much potential. Nadech's acting is okay but it's nothing new or exciting for me to anticipate. Having that said, I'm skeptical about whether I would want to continue and watch their part.  If I offend any of Nadech/Yaya's fans here, I apologize but that's just my personal take. 

Mahalo

sarNie OldFart
Mario is so dreamy! Omg. How did I even looked past him before? I can't believe he's turning 26. He still looks like a 16 year-old. Lol. Someone send me a stalker like Mario. I wouldn't mind. Btw, I'm loving everyone's comments. Can't believe I'm enjoying Mario and Taew's part more than I'm excited for Ryu and Mayumi. I do agree that their chemistry remains at a Fai and Jeed level. Hopefully, they show us something more for their part.  

x0unerthanlater

`my dragon's blood is blue`
Yalllllll, I keep rewatching the last scene where Takeshi beats that dude up! He's so.... sexy when he whoop @$$ 5555+ And OMG when I watched ep. 4 yesterday I didn't see the whole preview for ep. 5. I saw it today and.... whoaaaaaaaaa! Takeshi brings Seiko home and tells everyone, "Seiko is the woman of Souryo. In the position of Okusan (wife)." pfffffffffffffffffff *sound of my heart bursting* I can't wait for next week! HURRRRRY!

MrsChum

sarNie Adult
janajelly1 said:

I agree, I thought maybe Yaya might improve her acting with mature roles, but she doesn't appear as a grown up Mayumi, I'm kind of disappointed, because i really like her in DJA. Her roles/acting didn't turn out great later on. I'm going to watch the second part to see if she does good with the role Mayumi or not. 

Mayumi is suppose to be only fifteen yrs old in RRHLT, so how is she suppose to act like an adult when she's still in high school??

MrsChum

sarNie Adult
janajelly1 said:

That's why I said I'm waiting for the second part, because it'll be seven years later, I thought she was supposed to be on her last year of high school?
Sorry if I misunderstood you. I'm not sure if she's at her last yr of high school but I know she was fifteen when they talk about her and Ryu emgagement.

Mahalo

sarNie OldFart
janajelly1 said:
That's why I said I'm waiting for the second part, because it'll be seven years later, I thought she was supposed to be on her last year of high school?
I believe she is in her last year of high school because Ryu asked what does she want to study next after she graduates? And she said she wants to go to medical school to become a doctor, but her father wants her to be an accountant. Idk. They made it seem like she's going to be a freshman while Aiko is a sophomore in college. 

Vimalee

Live Love Laugh
This is Mario's and Taew's parts so Mayumi just shows up sporadically.  Sometimes it is difficult to judge a character with very minimal screen times since we don't get a chance to know them.  I think we got to watch Ryu and Mayumi about five minutes in episode 4 and maybe less in other episodes.   Anyways, I didn't read RS part 1, but I think the script writer made some changed to Ryu and Mayuni characters to make them more funny and comical to contrast with Mario and Teaw who are more subdue and reserve.   I watched BTS where the body guard and the director said Yaya has improved a lot in her acting.   We'll have to wait for part 2 when she becomes a doctor and a more confident woman, and not an insecure girl who was ridiculed by Ryu.

janajelly1 said:
I agree, I thought maybe Yaya might improve her acting with mature roles, but she doesn't appear as a grown up Mayumi, I'm kind of disappointed, because i really like her in DJA. Her roles/acting didn't turn out great later on. I'm going to watch the second part to see if she does good with the role Mayumi or not. 

byebye

sarNie OldFart
To me, Yaya major flaw is her cuteness.  She tends to bring that to her characters a lot and sometimes I think she just can't help it. But at the same time it kind of messed up the character.  I have to wait and see how she does at being a doctor since it's more of a serious role. If her cuteness seemed to be so obvious by then I will say she has not improve.

Mario is so young looking. The lakorn to me is kind of boring from the beginning but it seemed like it's picking up a bit.

imomo

sarNie Hatchling
We will have to wait for Part 2 to see if she improve or not, but I'm sure she will. Yaya have never disappointment me.

picadrama

sarNie Egg
I feel like Mayumi is supposed to be a little bit childish since she is still in high school. I find it cute and I love the bickering between Ryu and her. I do hope to see more. I would love the director to lay the foundation of their relationship before the part II. 

To be honest though, I love the main couple. I don't know if Nadech and Yaya will match this pair. I am impressed by the chemistry.

I didn't really like Cubic so I was a little scared to watch another lakorn taking place in another country. So far I haven't noticed any major discrepancies. The costumes are gorgeous and I like most of the cast. 

Aiko's character is the only annoying one and that's not surprising. A pattern I notice in dramas in general - not only Thai- is that the girl who knows what she wants is often portrayed as crazy :-( I wish directors tried to have reasonable female characters overall. Sadly, that's not going to happen anytime soon.

Anyway if you wanna read more on my impressions, feel free to check my blog :)  

http://picadrama.wordpress.com/2014/07/26/the-rising-sun-part-i-chemistry-bromance-and-a-little-craziness/

phoenix81

sarNie Juvenile
imomo said:

Cr. Mario and Taew IG (IMAGE magazine photo shoot)
Thank you!! These pix are so lovely!!! When was it taken? They looked great together...so sweet!!! 

I re-watched episode 4 with Eng sub! Wow!!! The words that Takeshi uses were so.........II have no words to describe!! Angry Takeshi is so sexy, heheh!! 
Thank you all for sharing. it's so good to read all of your thoughts. 

imomo

sarNie Hatchling
phoenix81 said:
Thank you!! These pix are so lovely!!! When was it taken? They looked great together...so sweet!!! 

I re-watched episode 4 with Eng sub! Wow!!! The words that Takeshi uses were so.........II have no words to describe!! Angry Takeshi is so sexy, heheh!! 
Thank you all for sharing. it's so good to read all of your thoughts. 
I think they took it yesterday because both mario and taew uploaded these pics yesterday. Btw. I also re-watched Episode 3 and 4 many times.

jeedlove said:
Now my one gripe has to be Ryu and Mayumi's couple. I feel as if their interactions are a little too cutesy for my personal taste and VERY very reminiscent of Nadech/Yaya's roles in their previous lakorns together. When I see them on screen, I don't necessarily see Ryu or Mayumi but rather just slightly older versions of Fai and Jeed. Maybe it's just me but Yaya's acting has degraded quite a bit.

I would have thought that given a more grown up role like Mayumi would help her to broaden her abilities but I'm rather disappointed because in here, her speech and expressions come off so forced. I honestly believe that she has so much potential. Nadech's acting is okay but it's nothing new or exciting for me to anticipate. Having that said, I'm skeptical about whether I would want to continue and watch their part.  If I offend any of Nadech/Yaya's fans here, I apologize but that's just my personal take. 

I understand how Mayumi and Ryu's characters come off as slightly too cutesy and non-serious in Roy Ruk Hak Liem Tawan, but I think that that was intentional, given that Mayumi is supposed to be in high school and Ryu doesn't yet have the responsibility of being the leader of the Onisaka clan -- Takeshi is.  I think that once Ryu has to take on control of the clan, then his character will have to mature and act more seriously, which will be reflected in his interactions towards Mayumi as well.  Remember, in Roy Fun Tawan Deurd, Mayumi and Ryu will be 7 or 10 years older so I think there will be a noticeable change in their characters.  With all that said, I have to say I'm extremely excited for part 2!  Nadech and Yaya's scenes are exactly what I've been waiting for and they add some welcome comic relief to the seriousness of Roy Ruk Hak Liem Tawan.  I haven't yet tired of this pairing, that's for sure!

jjinxx

Is your "nom" Fai-approved?
@picadrama I very much welcome some discussion on the nature of sexism in characterization within Thai lakorn. Thanks for your comment!

My heart sighs with content just thinking about Takeshi and Seiko. It's good to take a break from the pranang that stress me out with their arguing and initial misunderstandings 5555. This time I just wanna ride the sweet tide of the new young Onizuka Souryo and his Thai Okami-san.
Casting is, as pointed out, really good. I won't concern myself too much with Ryu and Mayumi since part one should be all about warrior Takeshi and darling Praewdao.

jjinxx

Is your "nom" Fai-approved?
Can't decide which episode is my favorite so far! Each one has so many scenes with the lead couple.

@imomo thanks for those pictures! They just remind me of all those romantic scenes. Even in still photos, Takeshi's love is so apparent lol

Taew has always been a favorite of mine but i have only been into half her lakorn so I'm so glad they put her and Mario together here again! Love this couple!

bubbles8

sarNie Adult
Hehe part 1 should be all be about warrior Takeshi and darling Praewdao, yet some are expecting something explosive and blow u off ur seats kind of chemistry from Ryu and Mayumi (RM), even js in the only 4 scenes in the whole 4 episodes

NaYa's chemistry may be plataeuing to some, but for me their scenes are fresh breathers which helps motivate me to continue and get over these hurdles of constant 'I love you, I miss you and intense love stares' which Takeshi feels the need to convey everywhere and everytime, even at his own parents' funeral. That moment Ryu constantly neds to remind Takeshi he is at his own parents' funeral and he needed to tone his smitten love, Takeshi's has lost some of my respect, I like mario but i havent managed to fall in love with Takeshi as a character despite how swoonworthy his good looks is. Maybe i am js not a romantic person, i wish i was, it would make watching this so much quicker and easier withouth needing extra motivations lol

As for Ryu, he may be a goof now, but a man who is willing to sacrifice his life and love for 7 yrs, to enable Takeshi to have the peaceful life he always yearned for and to protect his fiancee from alluring enemies, is a true definition of a warrior and soryo, well at least to me anyways. A man who has a sacrificial and non-possessive love is definately a character for me, so i shall book ryu now and early, before my evil friend has a change of heart and steals him away from me hahahaha