[Ch7] Ban Sai Tong (DaraVdo)

Cupid Candy

sarNie Coma
They handled the love confession so well. I don't think its on purpose but they happened to make Chai Klang's arriving a blend of Saranyu and Num's version, in Saranyu's version Poj was sleeping when he came to her and Num came to Poj in the day. Vee's Chai Klang came in the day and while she was asleep. I like how the "love" confession played out, it wasn't overly long and filled with tension like Num's and it wasn't super short like Saranyu's. I am disappointed to not see him stay the night like in the first version. I was so happy to see Chai Noi come to see Poj and tell her that he's going to be with her, it brought some tears to my eyes. Too bad there wasn't a baby shown in the end, however it still ended better than Num and Joy's version. I also like how they didn't make Mom Panarai all of a sudden good to Poj or just fully hate her in the end. She is slowly accepting Poj's goodness and she still resents her slightly but I can tell that her excuse that she is only backing down for the sake of Chai Klang is not fully the reason, she's definitely a bit touched to see how capable Poj is of loving someone after the Pojanee incident and knows that Poj will be a good wife to her son. This Mom Panarai is the best character wise, she's not that heartless as the first and she isn't cruel magically turned penitent like the second one. She shows that she loves Chai Noi or somewhat cares since she did want him to visit her from time to time but she just resents the fact that he loves Nom Thip more. I'm glad they made his death not so much her fault this time, she's probably the best mother to Chai Noi out of all the versions. Overall I liked this version, the first half was better though since I liked the romance development, too bad there wasn't that much going for them romance wise in the second half but Chai Klang is portrayed so trusting and caring towards Poj that I can excuse the lack of romance. DaraVDO did a good job plot wise, yes they cheaped out on the wedding and the honeymoon but they were faithful to the plot unlike that disaster Tawee Pope. They managed to get a good older generation cast and I'm surprised that they managed to bring the first Nom Thip in a guest role. Funny how they kept the tradition of having Yai Maew in all versions, though not as Sai Jai this time, seems like she's a good luck charm. My take is, it was more interesting than the first version though not as detailed or beautifully acted, better pacing and sub plots than the second but ch3 made things so much more aesthetically beautiful, the Sriracha scenes and the wedding from this version cannot compare to the second. But overall I did like this version the best mainly because I like Vee in this role and thought he did a good job and Min as Poj is an excellent choice. However, there was no need to add the Siriorn character or to even see her in the last episode. 

looksy

sarNie Adult
Cupid Candy, I love reading your insights and it's good to have another person who has seen the three versions so we can compare what we liked and disliked about each version. 

I couldn't help myself, so I went back to watch some of the important scenes from both Saranyu's version and Num's version. For me, Vee and Min's version definitely wins for their romantic development in the early episodes. Chai Klang and Poj had more scenes together and I love the fact that we can actually see Chai Klang falling for Poj, while in Saranyu's version, he did such a good job with hiding his feelings, that we couldn't really tell. 

As for the proposal scene, definitely this version beats both Saranyu and Num's version. Num's version completely strayed from the novel. First off, they had Nakun come in and wait for Poj with flowers along with Tan Thom. Nakon was never really supposed to be part of Poj's choice process that day. The character was supposed to be the surprise element in which both Tan Thom and Chai Klang forgot about, making both men feel defeated in not winning Poj's love, after she ran passed them to hold Nakun's hands. Secondly, Num's Chai Klang kept on going on about who she chose between Tan Thom and Nakun and Poj without having been proposed to yet, went to write a letter saying she chose Chai Klang.....Joy's Poj pretty much instigated their union, which is so out of character. In Saranyu's version, the dialogue is almost identical to this version, but this version approached this scene in a more romantic way with  Poj running into his arms and Vee's Chai Klang delivering his lines in a more loving tone.

As for the wedding, both this version and Num's version had a beautiful wedding. Saranyu's version didn't stand out to me. I feel this version has a better wedding night scene because of Chai Klang and Poj's extra long conversation and how cute they made Min's Poj so shy when he tucked her into bed. Plus, the scene of Khun Ying Chai Lai, Ying Yai, and special guest actress (Nom Tip from Saranyu's version) giving their blessings to the bride and groom was so beautiful thanks to the emotions expressed through Min's Poj. 

As for the honeymoon, I still love this version most because of the actual willing scene. I like it that Vee's Chai Klang was more direct on the night of the willing. Saranyu's version was too subtle, but was fitting for their version. Num's version was comical and cute, but it didn't have me swooning like I did when I saw this version....and I think it was because the build up leading into the willing was better portrayed with Vee's Chai Klang being so tortured and restless on the first night of their honeymoon. But I do admit, that Num's version was extra good to the viewers in that they gave a nice morning after scene and a couple of extra cute scenes before they headed back home. This version and Saranyu's version had Chai Klang wait until the second night of the honeymoon to make his move, but Num's version had them consummate the marriage on the first night.

As for Chai Klang's love confession, after going back to rewatch Num's version, I was so surprised to discover that the dialogue was almost identical to this version...........so why did I not find it memorable as this version? It's all in the approach and delivery of this scene. Num's version gave the scene too much tension. Vee's Chai Klang was more tender in this scene. He seem to take extra care in making sure his wife fully understood his reasons by sitting close to her, constantly holding her hand and touching her shoulder. Plus, the scene was complete with Min's reaction and beautiful crying after he asked her, "are you satisfied to know of when I love you?" Saranyu's version completely omitted this line and even though his confession was not as tender as Vee's Chai Klang, it was still romantic because both were in bed right after the confession....and I think that is why Saranyu's version had him come in in the middle of the night, so that they can transition into a bed scene. While both Num's version and this version probably stuck to the actual novel because Chai Klang came during the day while Poj was napping.

looksy

sarNie Adult
HuabNag said:
I finished the last esp. It was a great lakorn. I didn't expected to like it this much because I was holding onto Sarayu's version as my favorite, but now I admit I like this version as much. Certain scene, I actually like it more too. 

I wish we would get to see more of Chai Klang and Poj on this last esp, but only two scene of them together. It kind of disappoint for me to see very little of them together. And i will miss them on screen. Vee is actually one handsome Chai Klang after all..haha.  I hope Vee and Min will collaborate again soon. 

Same here. I had been holding onto Saranyu's version all these years. Num's version couldn't come close because of their misinterpretation of the characters. But now, I admit I love this version just as much, if not slightly more and I think what gives this version a slight lead is surprisingly because of Vee. This is my first time watching Vee in a lakorn so I can't comment too much on how good of an actor he is, but what I can say is, his acting here works for his character Chai Klang. He gave the role just the right amount of tenderness, but at the same time enough stiffness that we all associate with this character. Vee said in interviews that he was a little nervous of being compared to the previous actors who portrayed this role. I hope he knows that some die hard fans of this lakorn, like myself, really appreciate his interpretation of this beloved character.

Physically, I think Vee and Min are perfect for this role. I adored how cute, young, and tiny Min looked next to Vee. Chai Klang is supposed to be in his mid 30s and Poj is around 19 or 20-ish. Saranyu was in his mid 20s, but his looks could pass for mid 30s, but Morundee didn't look that young to me, though Morudee was actually younger than Min when she played this role. Onscreen, Saranyu and Morudee looked around the same age (which they actually were) and that made it less cute because part of the allure of Chai Klang and Poj's romance is the age gap.  As for Num and Joy....Joy looked extra mature next to Num's baby face. Num looked too young to be Chai Klang. But for me, looks won't matter as long as the acting is good and the interpretation of the characters are in keeping with the integrity of the novel's storyline.......which Num's version totally missed. 

For me, Vee and Min are surprisingly perfect as Chai Klang and Poj.......their acting, their chemistry, their looks all work to bring these characters to life. And this is my first time watching both actors in a lakorn. I hope they'll collaborate in another lakorn, too and hope it's a good storyline so I can tune in.

looksy

sarNie Adult
erinhang said:
 I sure am gonna miss waiting every Fri-Sun for this.Please share the ratings from beginning to end if you know. 

Here you go Erinhang and Yayyyyyyy, they finished on a high #9, the second highest rated program that week on ch 7. The best number they had since the series began and the finale was even on a Friday. I didn't think it would do that well ratings wise, since who would stay in to watch a lakorn on Fridays these days when you can watch anytime online. Also, there are the numbers for every episode. I would consider this lakorn a moderate success because it's ratings were just as good as other ch 7 lakorns (which I included for reference) that were airing and they were actually weekday lakorns.

credit: fanlakornch7 and ch 7 club @ pantip

HuabNag

sarNie Adult
@ looksy, thank you very much for the rating. Ban Sai Tong did a great job for getting a 9 on their last esp.

looksy said:
Same here. I had been holding onto Saranyu's version all these years. Num's version couldn't come close because of their misinterpretation of the characters. But now, I admit I love this version just as much, if not slightly more and I think what gives this version a slight lead is surprisingly because of Vee. This is my first time watching Vee in a lakorn so I can't comment too much on how good of an actor he is, but what I can say is, his acting here works for his character Chai Klang. He gave the role just the right amount of tenderness, but at the same time enough stiffness that we all associate with this character. Vee said in interviews that he was a little nervous of being compared to the previous actors who portrayed this role. I hope he knows that some die hard fans of this lakorn, like myself, really appreciate his interpretation of this beloved character.

mee too.. when I think of Chai Klang, Saranyu would appear because I think he was/is great in there. However, now Vee slowly replace my image of Chai Klang. I like that Chai Klang showed more emotion (tenderness) in this version; that make the character more lively. Vee did well on most of the intense scenes as well as romancing scene. Min portrays of Poj very well as looks mentioned. Also her pitty side next to Vee makes them very compatible. Poj's stubbornness in this version was not too much or too little; she doesn't portray her soft side too much like Joy's version. In that version, Joy's Poj showed too much of her love toward Chai Klang, every times she smile, one can tell she is deeply in love. Even when she hasn't see him, it already showed she has some sort of feeling for this mysterious man. I feel that makes the character very weak. 

I went back to watch Num and Joy's version and I realized what is lacked in this version; the music. The music in this version is not as good as what they played in Num and Joy's version. If in this version, they play very nice background music through out all the romancing or sad scenes, then I would feel it is perfect. I like everything else already.

Another thing is that Chai Klang in this version doesn't yell as much when he was mad; he was more explainable on most of the scenes, I guess because the script were more details in this version which why we got to see Chai Klang talked more. 

looksy

sarNie Adult
HuabNag said:
Another thing is that Chai Klang in this version doesn't yell as much when he was mad; he was more explainable on most of the scenes, I guess because the script were more details in this version which why we got to see Chai Klang talked more. 

I noticed that, too HuabNag and it was Num's Chai Klang that shouted at Poj. Saranyu's Chai Klang was always soft spoken because he was so reserved. Vee's Chai Klang never shouted at Poj. If he needed to get his point across, he would be firm with her, but never yelled............even at the very first time they spoke to each other when Poj shouted that she, "hated the Sawawongs, every one of them, including him".......he was upset, but patient and allowed her to say all she needed to say and when she wouldn't stop shouting, he firmly grabbed her arms to calm her down. This is another reason why I disliked Num's Chai Klang and felt the director and screenwriter misinterpreted this character because one ongoing theme in this lakorn is that Chai Klang took it upon himself to be a father figure that tried to teach her values of perseverance, patience, and learning to control one's emotions.....and he taught those things through being an example, so he doesn't shout at her. The only time he really raised his voice was in that scene of him scolding Em, the maid for not calling her "khun" Pojaman.

For me, this is what I adore about their love story. He wanted to right a wrong his family was doing to this girl.....it wasn't a love that developed from physical attraction, but out empathy and his innate need to protect and guide a girl whom he saw was alone in the world facing life, and along the way the lines of empathy got blurred and crossed over into love. And for her, she saw in him the qualities she admired in her father....virtue and integrity.....and with all the attention and care he had given her, how could she not fall for him?  :wub:

HuabNag said:
I went back to watch Num and Joy's version and I realized what is lacked in this version; the music. The music in this version is not as good as what they played in Num and Joy's version. If in this version, they play very nice background music through out all the romancing or sad scenes, then I would feel it is perfect. I like everything else already.

Oh, I agree with you . I remember 2 scenes that come to mind.....when she "wai" Chai Klang in the garden as he left for abroad and in the dream she had of running to hug her dad, only to look up and realize she was holding Chai Klang.........they had this piano music in the background that really took away from the emotions of these important scenes. But as far as this version of the 2 OSTs, I really love the musical arrangements they used for both songs. The OSTs in Num's version were soothing and romantic while in this version, the use of stringed instruments gave the songs a more vintage, nostalgic, romantic feel that I love.  And I noticed that they held off in playing "Hak Roo Suk Nid" in the background until in the proposal scene when she ran into his arms, which made that scene extra special because it said all she felt.

HuabNag

sarNie Adult
Yes, I feel the same (not liking) about Num's Chai Klang after I went back to watch Saranyu's version. I guess because I see the different and start to compare between the acting. Num's Chai Klang tend to yell a lot when he's mad. It could be the interpretation of the character like you  mentioned. 

In Num and Joy version, they had several good songs in there; such as  วิมานสีชมพู and มั่นใจไม่รัก along with Hak Roo Suk Nid.

Tomorrow is Friday and I'm missing Chai Klang and Poj. 

looksy

sarNie Adult
Yeah, same here. Tomorrow is Friday and I'm missing Poj and Chai Klang, too.

You know, one thing we didn't discuss was how finally in the ending scene, Chai Klang went through the dividing door of their bedrooms again. He said that she probably thought that he is the one that lost since he was the one that open the door and walked through it, but she didn't answer him and just smiled. What do you girls think about that? How stubborn this husband and wife were. How both were so stubborn to prove their point........at a cost to us the viewers because romance-wise, we knew we weren't going to get very much of it after he said those lines "I won't come in this room (through this door) unless the owner of this room, of this house, gives me permission. I'm a Sawawong and a man, you're a Penitnan and a woman, let's see who is the strongest."

looksy

sarNie Adult
erinhang said:
Do you  mind translating the first clip please?

clip: https://www.instagram.com/p/6Xjshrq7t_/

Vee: Pojaman, since you were born, have you never eaten shrimp before?
Min: It's part of the role.

I think Vee was making fun of her because of the way she was peeling the shrimp. It was taking her long to peel and eat it while he had already finished what was on his plate a long time ago, haha!!! I love seeing people get along behind the scenes. Min's laugh is contagious. 

Erinhang, thanks for your comment on my signature. Also, thanks for sharing all of those clips. i enjoy seeing them, especially since I'm missing Poj and Chai Klang. Also, I want to say you are an awesome Min fan. I remember you saying that you didn't understand all that was going on in this lakorn because of the language, but you still stuck with it and came to enjoy it. If you have any questions about the lakorn or scenes you were confused in and need further explaining, just ask and I'll help. Ban Sai Tong is one of those lakorns where all the action is in the dialogue, so it's difficult to enjoy it without fully understanding what was said. :D

erinhang

sarNie Adult
@looksy Thank you so much for translating that clip for me. Your post above made my day. You're such a sweet person!
@HuabNag

I also want to thank both of you for always translating my questions! You guys have helped made it so much easier to watch this lakorn. Without you guys, I would be watching this without understanding anything going on. 

looksy

sarNie Adult
I noticed that some of the scenes from the opening credits didn't make it to final cut of the lakorn. I'm sad we didn't get those Chai Klang and Poj scenes, but I'm ok with not seeing Pojanee daydream about being with her sister's husband, yuk!!! It makes me wonder what other scenes didn't make the final cut. I have a feeling this lakorn was supposed to be longer, since Erinhang had posted that it was reported to have 27 episodes. If DaraVdo ever decides to release those scenes on the lakorn DVD I'd actually buy it.  :D

erinhang

sarNie Adult
Yeah,  I'll actually buy it too. I was pretty surprise to find out there wasn't 27 eps. Makes me sad that they cut out a lot of scenes,

looksy

sarNie Adult
I'm trying to make a fanmade MV for Poj and Chai Klang, but gosh, as I'm editing the clips, I get distracted by their dialogues and I find myself re-watching entire scenes. At this rate, when will I finish?  :shrug: