DTV transition

fun

Expired Sarnie
Okay everyone, I am a little piss off at the stupid US government. Okay you probably have known that today is the actual date from analog to digital transition (June 12, 2009)

I have been stop by the cops twice, 1. for have a cracked window shield (it is very small) but I will be fine if it does not get fix soon 2. I really don't know why I was pulled over but I showed them the insurance to the stupid damn cops, and he written me up for no proof of insurance. Okay so I went to court and hand them the same piece of damn paper I showed to that damn cop and paid $10. Okay why am I paying them $10.

And now the DTV transition, those with analog tv will no longer work unless you are subscribe to cable or satellite. We are given 3 option: subscribe to paid TV, buy a new TV with a digital-to-analog converter box or buy a brand new TV with a digital tuner. Who in the hell has money for that? Anyways the government are distributing 2 coupons per household, but you can only order by phone or via website. Things are getting so out of hands, many people are not receiving their coupons and are angry. Or their coupns were expired (I don't really care about these people, it was their responsibility to purchase it when they received it).

Some people are not even prepared (again I don't really care about these people, it was advertise ever since 2008 and the date was even changed from Feb to June)

Okay now, I don't understand the stupid government, instead of making it so hard to people with those coupons issue, why not just make the damn converter box cheaper! Plus you must get a new antennas if you are not receiving good signals.

I have comcast but it is getting so damn expensive, I have a TV that is analog and one that is a DTV, but if I was to cancel comcast, I would need a damn converter box. I made my order, have not received it for in case I do cancel comcast. Ah this is complicated!!! Hahaha not complicated but... hmmm... the word won't come to mind. Who else is having problem or issues lol or is it just me venting out my frustration.

Muddie Murda

smile...
The TV in my room no longer works :( LOL I just feel really bad for those who really can't afford to switch to DTV. What will they do in order to watch the news, or watch something educational? I guess A LOT of ppl will go without TV and TV Show ratings may probably go down.

Liberty

sarNie Adult
They did give a warning about the DTV warning. In fact President Obama even pushed the date back to what it is now because he was worried some people wouldn't be ready for it. So, don't say they didn't warn ya.

I'm curious though, how are you watching TV if you don't have either cable or satellite?
Unless you have neither and are just watching basic channels.

As for the ticket thing, sorry, stuff like that sucks but ticketed various by state so it's not the US government. It's your local government.
Did you read the ticket? Did they say that they fined you for not having insurance or for the cracked window? Must be really bad because I've never heard of someone being pulled over for that reason. It's only $10, that's nothing compared to how much tickets are today but yeah, if you did no wrong you shouldn't have paid it in the first place. Of course you could've appealed it but the time it takes to do that usually isn't worth it, I would've opt for the $10 fine.

I recently switched to Direct TV because cable was getting too expensive, those bastards are always finding something to charge us for. With Direct TV I don't have to worry about the transition, it's handled for us.

When I had cable we didn't have to worry about getting a converter box either. A lot of people are getting confused about the whole analog thing. You only have to worry about the transition IF you're TV currently uses an antenna to get signal. My boyfriend was freaking out about it and I told him to relax. They've said it like a thousand times that it only effects those TV that uses antennas. Honestly, I didn't think there were TVs like that still. I didn't think it was that complicated.

fun

Expired Sarnie
LOL it only those who uses Analog TV with antennas. Those with Analog TV with Satellite or Cable is fine. But for Satellite (ie. Comcast) if you are not subscribe to your local channel, you won't be receiving them.

If you bought the converter box and it is already install, if you did not do a rescan today, you are in trouble. So do a rescan. Plus some broadcastors are having technical issue from the transition. Even with a strong signal strength from that particular channel, it will be snowy or blank. Oh you might lose some of you channels you had previously too but that ain't so bad cause you gain some new channels too.

I know the date was pushed back lol, they should have pushed it further lol

MasterMind

sarNie Hatchling
I have a new tv, so got no problem. I just re-scanned yesterday to make sure I have all the channels. I don't subscribe to cable, etc. I just have the local channels to watch the news and use the tv to work out with fitness dvds. Also, spend a lot of time on the internet, so no time to watch tv anyways.

Preahya

sarNie Hatchling
wow! I`m glad Japan still have 2 more years to get ready for digital t.v
Sounds like a big headache back home. I didn`t realized that the USA was going all digital until my brother told us about it last year. Japan have been advertising the `digital date` for nearly 4 years now.

little

sarNie Adult
the gov. doesn't have better thing to do. They have more important issues to correct instead of change the tv makes it harder for others. Charging more money on us. I have 2 flat screen tv with digital hi def. but some channels I cant get. Like ch. 30, 53 and those are the ones I really like to watch. Stupid change. I just requested coupons online so hopefully it'll come soon but still it's $40 worth for 1. I got 2 coupons and the box costs like $80. I have to spent like $100 for 2. Suck, I don't have extra money to spend. I only work part time.

mizterkevin

sarNie Juvenile
Well like you said, they've been telling Americans that the switch is going to happen since 2008. We have all had a year to save up for this box.

I heard something about nationwide wireless internet by google on the television broadcast frequencies (analog frequencies). They've been working behind the scenes to try to provide wireless internet for free where ever you go, but in order to avoid interrupting regular scheduled programming...they have to wait for the switch.

If this does happen, think about it like...paying a one time fee for internet, more channels, and better quality channels.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9901747-7.html

There are boxes you can get online for free with the coupon. Without the coupon, they're $40. I installed one for my mom with her big TV and works fine. My brother's, too. You can also get cheap ones on Craigslist or Ebay for much less than $40.

Anyway, I barely watch TV. So it doesn't really affect me. Wireless internet anywhere for a one time fee would be awesome.

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
I doubt that would happen. There are already talks of trying to make internet sites like cable packages 40 dollars a month to go on certain sites and extra $$$ for extra sites. Supposedly we are running out of bandwidth, but who knows at this point in time anything could happen. I wouldn't be surprised if they did go for that but at the same time they'll think that they are losing that chance of collecting monthly for internet

fun

Expired Sarnie
An important benefit of the switch to all-digital broadcasting is that it will free up parts of the valuable broadcast spectrum for public safety communications (such as police, fire departments, and rescue squads). Also, some of the spectrum will be auctioned to companies that will be able to provide consumers with more advanced wireless services (such as wireless broadband).

There are some converter box ranges from 40-80 bucks ya. So you must have purchased the more expensive ones. The type of antenna you use is more vital than what kind of converter box you have.

Do a double rescan if you are having trouble with receiving a certain channels. It is different from just regular rescanning.

noungning

Heartless
ok i didn't read everything but... u have internet u can temporarily use the internet as ur TV most local channels stream their stuff as they air. or later post them up for those who missed the shows/news.

the converter boxes, if the government had the damn money to produce them, they'd probably hand it out...

the thing is companies are making these things to sell to the government via u, so they're not going to decrease the price.

i think it's best to just wait for the coupon to get a converter. from many demonstrations, i thought u don't need a new TV as long as u get the converter box, why would u need a new TV? all of my TVs are plugged in with the cable coxial... i can't live without clear tv it'd drive me nuts.

little

sarNie Adult
i just got my 2 $40 coupons today so i'll go buy the converter box soon. I thought my flatscreen hi def wouldn't be a prolbem getting signal but it does. And i get very frustrating/irritating when i watch my shows to a point i just wanted to turn off or pound the tv. again blame it on the government having nothing better to do. So i'll buy 2 boxes and install it by the weekend.

noungning

Heartless
well even if it's HD tv it doesn't mean it'd get good signals. even HD tv needs antennas if you don't have cable lol. or else u'd be getting the digital snowflakes flying around on ur screen.