Jail possible for Thai king insult

dynomite

Wanna-Be เจ้าชู้
CHIANG MAI, Thailand (AP) -- A Swiss man accused of insulting this nation's monarchy by spray-painting over several portraits of the revered king pleaded guilty Monday and faces a maximum 75-year prison sentence.

Oliver Rudolf Jufer, 57, was caught by surveillance cameras on December 5 spray-painting black paint over several portraits of King Bhumibol Adulyadej in the northern city of Chiang Mai, police said. His lawyer said he was intoxicated during the act.

The vandalism coincided with Bhumibol's 79th birthday, which was celebrated across Thailand with fireworks and prayers. The king is the world's longest-serving monarch.

Jufer made no comment as he entered the courthouse with his legs chained, dressed in an orange prison uniform.

Judge Chaikrit Devaplin said Jufer pleaded guilty, reversing an initial statement of non-guilt that he had made to police, and a sentence was expected to be issued March 29.

The trial was closed to the public, and prosecutors declined to discuss details of the case because of sensitivities in Thailand about portraying the beloved king in a negative light.

"Revealing the details of this case does not benefit anybody because it involves the king and the monarchy," said prosecutor Bhanu Kwanyuen, adding only that Jufer is accused of defacing five posters and faces a penalty of between three and 15 years in prison for each one.

"In every Thai constitution, the king is revered and worshipped, and he cannot be insulted," Bhanu said. "Thai people cannot accept this act of insulting the king."

Jufer has lived in Thailand for more than 10 years, and lives in Chiang Mai, said his court-appointed lawyer, Komkhit Kunyodying.

The military launched a separate investigation into the incident, saying Jufer's act raised suspicion that he was hired by someone opposed to the September 19 coup that ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Chiang Mai, about 350 miles north of Bangkok, is Thaksin's hometown and a key base of support for the former prime minister.

Millions of portraits of the king were erected late last year to honor his birthday. Across the kingdom, people also wore yellow shirts, a sign of devotion to the king.

Reference:
CNN
http://edition.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/...ailand.king.ap/

noungning

Heartless
wow interesting. the dude was drunk and decides to spray paint the portraits that are high up on stands?? ok kinda of weird, but i guess people are trying to buy the story.

i don't know if he deserves 75 years for reckless behavior but slight punishment would be enough, 75 years should be given to someone that has raped a child, like many has done in thailand.

this dude probably needs to be expelled and never allowed entry into thailand, additionally fined for all the damages he's caused. but given such a long prison statement just doesn't make sense.

dfemc

sarNie Adult
i concur, 75 years would be quite harsh, as disrespectful as his act was. in the context of thailand, yes dumbass bastards like that should know better to respect the law of the land. just because ur a westerner, don't go around imposing urself on the beliefs of others and hold urself on a high horse believing ur immune to the law there n can get away with anything. if he was hired, which is all the possible, his western identity was a key factor in making him the chosen one (perpetrator), n i'm assuming u can see why. however, it all depends on this fella's intentions and state of mind at the time. it would be strange that he wouldn't know better regarding the law of the land, if he has lived there for at least 10 years. it's quite fishy, no doubt.

but ning, u've made a great point regarding the ridiculous correlation of sentencing to the "crime" itself. some dirty western and domestic bastard (ie. thai officials, skanky men) who engage in sexual acts with unconsenting minors or simply exploiting womyn n children's together, should get the 75 to life there.

anyhow, so much for democracy huh? <_< -_- ^_^

darvil

sarNie Adult
You guys are all jumping the gun.

It says 75 years maximum.. and he will only get that if he was intentional. I mean this guy was totally trashed to do something moronic like this. I'm sure he'll get a lighter sentence..

But even if he does get a short sentence, being already 57, he's gonna be someone's bitch in the Thai prison. Its gonna suck donkey nuts for him.

This will be a good little example to show everyone there not to be stupid.

Rakniran

He shouldnt even be punish at all.He was drunk.Plus is no big deal.President Bush got his photo painted and makefun of all the time even burn too.

Thailand is not land of free speech or willing?

Just a pictures.Plus ,he is not even Thai.
He say sorry should be enough.let it go.Shouldn't even take it to the court.

<confused>

gurl588

sarNie Egg
This is stupid. So many of the Thai celebrities drive drunk and hurt people and they don't even serve jail time so how are they going to justify sentencing a drunk guy who defaces a couple of posters to do time in prison. It's plain stupid and senseless.

noungning

Heartless
You guys are all jumping the gun.

It says 75 years maximum.. and he will only get that if he was intentional. I mean this guy was totally trashed to do something moronic like this. I'm sure he'll get a lighter sentence..

But even if he does get a short sentence, being already 57, he's gonna be someone's bitch in the Thai prison. Its gonna suck donkey nuts for him.

This will be a good little example to show everyone there not to be stupid.
3 years per picture... ok about 15 years since he did 5 pictures. but that's still quite harsh.

He shouldnt even be punish at all.He was drunk.Plus is no big deal.President Bush got his photo painted and makefun of all the time even burn too.

no, Thailand isn't a country with freedom of speech. Doesn't matter if you're Thai or not, once you're in that country, that isn't yours, you are to respect the rules, that's why it's highly recommended to read travel guides or TO DO and what NOT TO DO. Because it's all different...even simple body language can get you in deep shit. :mellow:

This is stupid. So many of the Thai celebrities drive drunk and hurt people and they don't even serve jail time so how are they going to justify sentencing a drunk guy who defaces a couple of posters to do time in prison. It's plain stupid and senseless.
Well, the king in Thailand means more than anything, so I see their point of view, but the prison sentence is too long. It's all about Political power and money! That's why those celebraties got away with what they did, but this foreigner seems like he has nothing but his undies and a bottle of vodkha. :ph34r:

*Ice*

sarNie Adult

<confused>
no he should be punished khon thai are differnt bush i just differnt coz hes american and they have diffent beliefs khon thai really respect the king and queen i think its right what hes getting drunk or not should be so stupid in the first place and another thing i recall hes not thai? thats SO MOTHERFREAKEN DISRESPECTFUL if i ever so him grrrrrrrrr maybe people are to think again before they go on a high and get drunk if they wanna go to another country! what p'ning said is soooo true!about thailand murrr (btw i cant spell lol)and readying what hes done has made me even quite offended for what hes done and i dont care if he was drunk or not because first it aint his country and second he gotta learn some manners send him to prison he's pissed me off big time!

sugar

เฟริสค่ะ
this is a different article
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6440645.stm

Jufer, who has lived in Thailand for more than 10 years, was recorded on surveillance cameras defacing the portraits.
This is even more idiotic, this guy has been living there for 10 years which means he obviously has to know how revered the King is to the country and all Thais. What a moron.

<confused>
Thai King is not President Bush, they can't even be compared.

triANGgo

lekie_lucious
Good topic for this section, i need to get inform anyways cause usually around here, it's about what celeb did this and what celeb did that.... thanks for informing us p'Dynomite :)

anyways i'm kinda speechless on what to say........... what he did was wrong but then come on sentence for 75 yrs, wth...... hello the poor man was a drunk foreigner, u tell me have u done crazy things while feeling drunk?? yeah, and did they forgive u? maybe or maybe not but then I second on what Ning has to say, all he needs is to get expelled and or never to return back to the country...that is kinda harsh on him.... now u thai peeps dont be hating on me just cause i said that...... it's true there's other crimes that are much more ridiculous then this but then this hits #1 spot on the news.... i'm sorry to hear that the kings picture got Vandalize but then again it shouldnt be such a big prob...

*a thought* wait wait what if someone was to do the same to my picture, awww hell nah, i'll be pissed too but then i wont have the power to sentence them to jail, maybe just lock them in the closet for a few minutes and make them apologize like a mofo... hahhahhah jk

sugar

เฟริสค่ะ
Him being drunk doesn't justify anything, sorry. Being a guest there he should respect the country. I don't agree with the sentence but he still should be punished for his actions nonetheless.

and maybe people are forgetting that he's been there for at least 10 yrs...? ah hello!

fan

sarNie Juvenile
the difference between America and Thailand is that Thai people love their King, Americans do not love their President

there are lines that you just dont cross in Thailand and insulting the King is one of them

15 years isnt too bad.... but 75 is harsh but doubtful that he will get that much anyways

being that he lived there for 10 years already he should have known better and if he actually had to climb up high to do what he did then he could have been drunk but not that drunk

dynomite

Wanna-Be เจ้าชู้
For those who are not culturally aware of the Thai's etiquette and belief system. Here's my educational input for ya.

I thought I would share a little of what it means to love the King. Most of you guys are from the states and some have never visited Thailand.

The King is revered because he truly gets down to the level of the peasants. He doesn't stand behind a table and just use his head. He travels around the country and tries to understand the people and what they need.

He has made efforts continuously to appease the people of the South to the point that while over 90% of the people are buddhist, he has remained open minded to allow the muslims to have their own schools. (i disagree with this). He develops programs for the hill tribes like Maew peeps to help them avoid the urge or decrease the need to sell opium. He does so much and lives a simple life. He is one of the rare who doesn't allow power to corrupt them. He is the one who can tell Thaksin what to do and Taksin listens. When military fights and gets out of control... he says stop and all obey. Not because he is the commander in chief as the monarchy has no political power per se, but out of respect.

He is respected and viewed on screen before all movies. He is worshiped and revered to the point that even as an outsider, it might seem foreign or brain washing. When you have no understanding, you consider this a ridiculous act to stand before a movie and pay respect to the King.

But this theme has been repeated over generations and generations with countries boycotted for their defamation of the king and Thai's gathering to unite under one nation, one king to stand together to show respect for the beloved king which has even happened in the states for an incidence of using the King in vain.

His reign is near its end and sadly so. There will not be a King as revered and respected for quite a while.

For those of you who relate it to Bush or themselves. You underestimate the love and respect that this King has earned by his people. The King which is represented by the color blue on the Thai flag is part of the soul of Thailand, land of smiles.

I think if you love your parents or mother. You might try to compare it to when someone insults your mother and disrespects her. Of course if you dont' even respect your mother, I guess this analogy won't work. But if you have become enraged at insults regarding your mother, that's almost similar to what the King is to Thai people.

In the old days, if you disrespected the king, you and your family would be eliminated. The heads of your family and who not would be cut off and your lineage would become obsolete for your unappreciative conduct.

So jail time is nothing compared to what happened in the times of long ago.

Leave it to the courts to decide...

The point of this is just to understand and learn. When I was young it was hard for me to ascertain this as some of you mentioned.

Just sharing some of the Thai culture and hope you understand, respect, and appreciate Thailand.

mizzm

sarNie Egg
wow interesting. the dude was drunk and decides to spray paint the portraits that are high up on stands?? ok kinda of weird, but i guess people are trying to buy the story.

i don't know if he deserves 75 years for reckless behavior but slight punishment would be enough, 75 years should be given to someone that has raped a child, like many has done in thailand.

this dude probably needs to be expelled and never allowed entry into thailand, additionally fined for all the damages he's caused. but given such a long prison statement just doesn't make sense.

The punishment should defintely fit the crime. 75 years in prison is just proposterous. That seems more like a sentence that should be given to the pedophiles who exploit the children of Thailand.

noungning

Heartless
When you have no understanding, you consider this a ridiculous act to stand before a movie and pay respect to the King.
man when i went to the movies for the first time, i was so lost, good thing i'm quick at getting things so i just followed along with what people did :D

yes well said dyno.

ps. i still boycott u.

Thanamas89

sarNie Oldmaid
Who knows..! He probably wasn't even drunk..Obviously everyones lawyer has to lie one way or another to get out of the situation...

beamsgirl

sarNie Adult

<confused>

true but you should ocnsider the fact that bush to americans is NOT the same as the king to thais...and the cultural/background/historical differences of these two countries and men...

but yeah...75 years? no matter how much I love thailand...75 years is too much even if it's just the maximum and he might not get it...it's just stupid to go that far...I mean, yeah he should've been respectful but hell, he was drunk, it was a stupid act but hell again! going to prison? not fair and not right...