Kuala Lumpur & Singapore

anan

sarNie Adult
Hi dear all Sarnies,,, :D

I am going to Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia) then Singapore in 3 weeks,,, [ i cancelled my plan for Chiang Mai in the last minutes ]

What are the traditional dishes in Malaysia & Singapore :rolleyes:??? Any good advices of places to see and not miss ??? Things to try ??

thank u :)

Greensmurf

sarNie Hatchling
that's great man. well, i just got back from backpacking asia, but skipped KL but I heard that its very easy to get around. a lot of the people there speak english, so i say you should just jump in there and ask around! have fun man!

anan

sarNie Adult
i hear curry and more curry (anything and everything w/ Shrimp Paste). have fun!
yup,,,, the food was great and cheap too (in Malaysia),,, but not in Singapore...
Mi Goreng (fried noddle with Shrimp) is super delicious :p,,,

My next trip is California this June.... Start to miss super size foods... Ice creamm,,, Montain Dewww,,, :ppp
Gotta love going for foods shopping :p @ Walmart & Vons ^_^

cutefuzzy

maplestory addict xD
ahaha great to noe ur going to KL! I'm a malaysian myself so let me help u out. Overall most of the malaysians in the city area (especially KL) knows english perfectly fine so its no prob there. Even if they r bad in the language - they would still understand u.

The food here are amazingly cheap but do not go to overrated malls such as the Pavilion, The Garden, Midvalleys and such. Cos they'll charge u a bomb and it's so nt worth it (although its still cheaper if you pay wif ur money lol)

So its best if u just walk around and attack those hawker/small stalls&restaurants. Tips: the more crowded the place is = the food is really2 delicious. Most of the stalls here r open 24hours so no worries on tat part.

Lol, so now back on the topic...foods that you shuld try are:

Nasi Lemak (its malaysian fav breakfast/lunch/dinner lol. do find stalls who sells it wif loads of customers)
Penang Asam Laksa
Char Kuey Teow
Roti Canai
Mamak Mee Goreng
Teh Tarik (its a drink and u shuld see hw the 'pull' em lol)
Mee Curry
Chicken Rice (especially hainanese/roasted chicken)

if you're up for some seafoods (which is amazingly cheaper than hw they charge overseas, go crash some chinese seafood restaurant(as usual, choose the one with the most crowd) and if you want to try our local bbq fish/seafood: just ask the taxi driver to take u the best IKAN BAKAR restaurant.

lol, i hope that helped.

anan

sarNie Adult
Hi there,,,

thank u so much for these useful tips,,, but it's a little bit too late for me LOL,,,
i am already back to work, my little vacations in Malaysia & Singapore r already over...

However, i also tried the popular Nasi Lemak,,, hehe,,, delicious
Malaysia is definately a country that i have to back & visit more someday (since i missed & didn't try some of the foods & drink that u listed there :p I guess i have to go to some malaysian restaurants in Paris now to finish my Malaysian food journey ^_^ ),,,

I spent few days in Penang,,, I personally love this tiny island of Malaysia though,,, it's quiet, neat & secure,,, I didn't see police car or policemen @ all during my visit !!! ,,,
George town, a world heritage site from UNESCO is also great, with its "little India",,, China town,,, the british colonial style etc...

As for KL,,,, hmmm,,, a little bit crowded & very alive @ night,,, it's really like other modern city...
Beside the classic Petronas twin tower, Menara KL tower, i am also impressed by the KLIA (KL International Airport) which is very well designed for efficiency,,, no wonder why it is rated as one of the top 5 best airports in the world !!! pheeewww,,,

@ the end of my trip in Malaysia,,, there was this name that caught my mind: "MAHATHIR".... this name that our taxi driver usually spoke of...
So i bought 2 books before leaving Malaysia :

(a quick biography cartoon book, that i finished reading it before arriving to Singapore lol)

... and this book that i just finished read it...

He was a very good visionary leader,,,
an humanist who devoted his life in helping the others & took the destiny of the country...

What would be Malaysia today without him ??

Thookatha

sarNie Elites
all these trips make me want to go home for the summer. i think that's what i'm going to do. i'm a bad daughter. i need to go live off of my parents for a few months.

cutefuzzy

maplestory addict xD
ahaha cool, at least u tried out nasi lemak ;)
but yeah things r cheap here so its fun. owhs u bought mahathir bio books ay...he's a visionary but still (a politician would always stay as one)

anan

sarNie Adult
all these trips make me want to go home for the summer. i think that's what i'm going to do. i'm a bad daughter. i need to go live off of my parents for a few months.
for a few months ???? lol,,, that's very long lol.... definitely bad gurl u !!! ^_^

ahaha cool, at least u tried out nasi lemak ;)
but yeah things r cheap here so its fun. owhs u bought mahathir bio books ay...he's a visionary but still (a politician would always stay as one)
speaking about vision,,, i will come back visit again Malaysia in... 2020...
Wanna see how far did Abdullah achieve the Vision 2020 dreamed by Mahathir... ;)

you make me want to go to KL! lol
hmmm...hopefully, I can go there soon :)
I highly recommend this country.... with Air Asia,,, it's cheap... direct flight from Manila-Clark to KL yeah ?? ^_^,,,

Here are some pix from my trip in Malaysia (Feb. 2010) ^_^

@ Putrajaya, the new city for Government & officials... built on artificial lake

... still @ Putrajaya... a little bit closer...

my mommy had to borrow that pink-cover suit to enter & visit this big & beautiful mosque...

Basic Islam postures ....

@ Kuala Lumpur : the famous Petronas twin tower (1,242.1 ft) from the ground view....

my BOnus pic: from the airplane,,, you can only see Palm trees EVERYWHERE !!!!!
Malaysia is the TOP second palm oil producer behind Indonesia.... !!!
Me who wanted to see where does the palm oil come from.... lol,,, now fully served... lol

palm oil (also labeled as "vegetable oil" on our favourite pastries & desserts to let ppl. think that it's healthy or simply to minimise & mislead ppl.) is the cheapest oil & not healthy @ all,,,
they also transform it into Butter (Margarine Butter) for pastries.... (to make our croissants, breads etc...)....
a little bit of 40% of saturated fat for our morning processed croissants breakfast ^_^ simply lovely :p....

Thookatha

sarNie Elites
this might be a stupid question, but what language is spoken in singapore? do they speak chinese or do they have their own language, etc? hahaha

hanjieun30

sarNie OldFart
I highly recommend this country.... with Air Asia,,, it's cheap... direct flight from Manila-Clark to KL yeah ?? ^_^,,,
hmmm... I've checked Air Asia and going to KL is really cheap compared with the airline that we usually fly with. I think I would be heading to KL next year :lol:

anan

sarNie Adult
this might be a stupid question, but what language is spoken in singapore? do they speak chinese or do they have their own language, etc? hahaha
They speak english (it's their official language),,, and sometimes also speak "Singlish" (becos of their chinese-english accent & local personal dialect mix with english :p )... chinese is also spoken for chinese ppl. + malay too for Malaysians who come to work there.... becos this little territory was first a British colony (including Malaysia) then was a part of Malaysia in 1963 before it split up in 1965... to become a city-country & independent : Singapura... Singapore ;)

Thookatha

sarNie Elites
They speak english (it's their official language),,, and sometimes also speak "Singlish" (becos of their chinese-english accent & local personal dialect mix with english :p )... chinese is also spoken for chinese ppl. + malay too for Malaysians who come to work there.... becos this little territory was first a British colony (including Malaysia) then was a part of Malaysia in 1963 before it split up in 1965... to become a city-country & independent : Singapura... Singapore ;)
wow. thanks for the FYI/history lesson. hahaha that was useful...seriously. why look it up when you can just ask anan? lol

cutefuzzy

maplestory addict xD
ahaha, badawi fared quite bad. tho they said he 'resigned' its juz a better term to say he's sacked ministers. atm the one ruling is Najib.

anan

sarNie Adult
ahaha, badawi fared quite bad. tho they said he 'resigned' its juz a better term to say he's sacked ministers. atm the one ruling is Najib.
Ohhh u r right !!!! All my apologies.... cutefuzzy lol,,,
the book that I just finished(the secret of Malaysia success) reading was published in 2003 <_<,,, i thought that Adbullah was still the current prime minister :p

I think I need to catch up about what have Abdullah (i read a little bit that Mahathir regretted his choice about choosing him as successor after what happened in 2005,,,) & Najib done so far for Malaysia until today :p