Laos Weddings

natty

Chubs
hmm.. i'm not really sure anjos cus there are alot of similarities.. but i clearly see the difference in that thai have "roat nam sang" (which is i believe water mix with kamin? in a shell "sang" ), and for laos they dont do that but instead they have "pook kaen" which is a blessing the couple by tieing a white yarn on their wrist..

as for the meaning i'm not quite sure.. but others in here most likely can answer you..

Thookatha

sarNie Elites
ok, so i haven't been reading this thread, but just wanted to share that my cousin's getting married. i am going to be her"puen jao sao" and i have no freakin' clue what i am suppose to do. this thread will help. LOL :lol:

2cute2care

sarNie Juvenile
Thookatha said:
ok, so i haven't been reading this thread, but just wanted to share that my cousin's getting married. i am going to be her"puen jao sao" and i have no freakin' clue what i am suppose to do. this thread will help. LOL :lol:
[post="123288"][/post]​

all you need to remember is not to out shine the bride and you will be fine :)

Thookatha

sarNie Elites
2cute2care said:

all you need to remember is not to out shine the bride and you will be fine :)

[post="128424"][/post]​
awww damn, the bride is screwed! LMAO LMAO JK JK JK JK JK!!!! i meant, okie, thank you! hehehe

missjoy

sarNie Elites
being a bridesmaid is like being the bride's assistant.. you are one of the people that is suppose to help lessen the stress of the bride and help her out with whatever she needs.. in other words.. you are her slave!! j/k!

iangel

sarNie Egg
Lao weddings are so much fun. I remember one wedding I went to, the bride and groom both cracked an egg and depending on how the egg looks, it predicted their future together.

I always look forward to the food and the lum vong. I love "thia long sa-la-wan" song, reminds me of the tootsy-roll (is that how you spell it?)

2cute2care

sarNie Juvenile
iangel said:
Lao weddings are so much fun. I remember one wedding I went to, the bride and groom both cracked an egg and depending on how the egg looks, it predicted their future together.

I always look forward to the food and the lum vong. I love "thia long sa-la-wan" song, reminds me of the tootsy-roll (is that how you spell it?)
[post="130227"][/post]​

wow i haven't heard about the egg thing before...very interesting
how does the egg predict the future, like what does it mean when it cracks

i agree weddings are fun, and the food is great! i enjoy getting dress to go and then i am ready to leave about 20 mins in...lol

but i am a sucker for the bride and groom first dance as husband and wife, a tear always runs down my cheek...lol

Saifah

bite me x___
laos weddings are fun but too long... gosh.. but love the food! thats what i go for! food! yummers!

NiTha

sarNie Adult
The last wedding i went to was my cousins'. The problem was that she had too much alcohol served for her guests. Even the groom got drunk. They didn't get to cut the cake together. And the groom got all emotional, he was in tears not because of the wedding but because his father couldn't be there. For my wedding, i'm going to have limited alcohol and i know it's like tradition to pass shots for your guests but since i don't drink, i don't think i will be doing that. LOL. Yah definitely the food has to be good.

2cute2care

sarNie Juvenile
gotta love lao weddings, but in south Aust, there seems to be less because many of the lao couples, just move in together with no wedding ceremony...pity

Mdc

sarNie Egg
I been to serveral laos wedding too mainly family...I, myself also had a laos wedding and an american wedding. My husband is baptist, we decided to do both tradition. So I did get to walk down the asle and do the asian wedding also a reception....It was a long long wedding ...lol... by the time its all over I was tired. I think its fun to go to someone else laos wedding then your own because you won't be as tired lol.....I love our laos fabric....

KEO

sarNie Egg
hi, i need help for my dress. i looking for Laos wedding dress. anyone know websit.

yeahyeahdatme

sarNie Egg
I love going to lao wedding because people are there just to have fun and chill..also you have fun watching other making a fool out of themselves...

Liberty

sarNie Adult
All weddings are boring to me that's why I avoid going unless I have to. lol
In terms of my family we usually have a combo of Laotian and American style wedding.

I like the music better at American weddings though, the food is sometimes better too.
I'm Laotian I can eat Lao food any time so when I'm at a wedding I just expect something different.

Eegagromic

sarNie Egg
Food sux in Lao wedding, it's so cheap compared to Cambodian or Thai. We get the same sticky rice, dried meat, larb, nam, etc. Then you get the usual drunk crowd who always gets plastered and either embarrasses people or pick fights. Going once is enough, more than that and you want to hang yourself. Yea, I'm Lao.

IRukYou

sarNie Juvenile
I love Lao wedding, especially the food and fun. The things I hate are drunk people and the long sitting with the wai (but poo kwan is a tradition). I love it when the groom is coming to meet the bride, and his family and supporter are singing as the walk toward the door. Then the groom best man have to give out money to pass the 'door' of gold and silver. I like that we can dance silly and no one care. I love Lao food, so it's one of the exciting part of the wedding. The flower fruit basket, the carved fruits, Larb, home made dried meat, Nam, Lod Kao Song Nam Wan, Agar O-Lieng Flavor jelly, seafood yum salad, papaya salad (which I don't care what event, I love it), bamboo soup, pad mee, sesame ball, meatball on stick, spring roll, and so much more. It's so savoring.

PhoneO_5

sarNie Oldmaid
The last wedding i went to was my cousins'. The problem was that she had too much alcohol served for her guests. Even the groom got drunk. They didn't get to cut the cake together. And the groom got all emotional, he was in tears not because of the wedding but because his father couldn't be there. For my wedding, i'm going to have limited alcohol and i know it's like tradition to pass shots for your guests but since i don't drink, i don't think i will be doing that. LOL. Yah definitely the food has to be good.
Did you end up passing drinks? I know my uncle in law didn't drink, but he had to do it anyways. He just didn't drink. They just gave the shots to the guests and got money for their honeymoon :D

Food sux in Lao wedding, it's so cheap compared to Cambodian or Thai. We get the same sticky rice, dried meat, larb, nam, etc. Then you get the usual drunk crowd who always gets plastered and either embarrasses people or pick fights. Going once is enough, more than that and you want to hang yourself. Yea, I'm Lao.
Food sucks?? I guess it depends on who makes it though. Some weddings have gross food. But if you have the right people then food should be tasty. I know that here, some of us order certain foods from different people who are good at making them. Then the people deliver in the morning so food is warm and fresh. We don't order food from the thai restaurant...it's nasty here. Cost so much when we asked for an estimate.
We had the Sinh Savan that we had an aunt make and it ran out before the day was over! And we had lots of it. My cousin made salad dressing for the salad and that was a hit too. In some weddings the food tastes rotten. And some dried meat is nasty, the seasoning is horrible.