Learning Thai

mongstaness

sarNie Adult
SW is filled with lots of Thai, but most of us don't know how to read/write or speak it..lol

However, I know that some of us do know how, so how about lets share what we know so that others can know as well. IF EVERYONE CAN CONTRIBUTE MORE WORDS OR PHRASES INTO THIS THREAD, THEN WE ALL CAN TRY TO TALK THAI WITH EACH OTHER IN HERE...lol

Sharing is Caring.

ALSO, I'M NOT THAI, SO IF SOME SPELLINGS ARE INCORRECT, PLZ FORGIVE ME. I'M STILL LEARNING.

How I wrote the cosanants and vowels might not be correct, but i don't know what to use, so yea....

SOUNDS:
Ph=p as in puff
Kh=c as in cow
K=g as in goat
C=j as in jam
Ch=ch as in chew
-ay= long i as in bye
-eu-=our hmong language W (or the ou sound in could/would)
-ae-=a and in apple
-aaw=ow as in cOW
-iaw=eow as in meow
-a=a as in call
-e=long a sound
-i=long e sound
-o=long o sound
-u=long u sound
-O=short O sound
-er=er sound

{double vowels mean extend the sound more.}

Greetings/Phrases:
Sawaat Dii Khrap= Hello(male)
" " Kha= Hello (female)
Khop Khun=Thank You

Verbs:
Khow Cay=Understand
Rak=Love
Pay=Go
Kliad=Hate
Klua=Scared
Soncay=Interested
Kin=Eat
Thaam=Do
Day=Can
Mii=Have
Kin=Eat
Khian=Write
Rian=Study
Phuut=Talk
Fang=Listen
Yut=Stop
Rerm=Start
COOt=Park/Stop

Adj.:
Narak=Cute
Sanuk=Fun
Saduak=Convenient
Lek=Small
Yay=Big
Suay=Pretty
Tia=Short
Uan=Fat
PhOm=Skinny
Ruay=Rich
Con=Poor
Thuuk=Cheap/correct
Phit=Wrong
May=New
Kaw=Old
ROOngHay=Cry
HuarO=Laugh
Sokkraprok=Dirty
Sa Aat=Clean
Neua=North/Over
Tay=South/Under
Hiw=Hungry
Im=Full
Pert=Open
Pit=Close
Phae=Lose
Chana=Win
Muan Kan=Same
Taang Kan=Different
Yen=Cold
ROOn=Hot

Cay Words=Words Used with Cay (A LOT LIKE HMONG, HOW WE USE SIAB)
Cay=Heart
Hua Cay=Heart
Cay Dii=Kind Hearted{Siab Zoo}
Cay Dam=Black Heart(Mean/Selfish){Siab Dub}
Cay Yay=Big Heart (Generous){Siab Loj}
Cay Yen=Cold/Cool Heart(Calm){Siab Txias}
Cay ROOn=Hot Hearted(Hot Tempered/Hasty){Siab Khub}
Dii Cay=Good Heart(Happy){Zoo Siab}
Tok Cay=Lose Heart(Frightened){Poob Siab}
Sia Cay=Lose Heart(Sad/Sorry)Tu Siab

Nouns:
Faa=Sky
Seua=Shirt
Kankeeng=Pants
Kraprong=Skirt
Talaat=Store
Aahaan=Food
Nakrian=Student
Dontrii=Music
Caan=Plate
Nangseu=Book
Baan=House
Hong=Room
Fon=Rain
Reuduu=Winter
Kung=Shrimp

Months
Mokkarraa Khom=Jan.
Kumphaa Phan=Feb.
Miinaa Khom=Mar.
Meesaa Yon=Apr.
Phreusaphaa Khom=May
Mithunaa Yon=Jun.
Karakadaa Khom=Jul.
Singhaa Khom=Aug.
Kanyaa yon=Sept.
Tulaa Khom=Oct.
Phreusacikaa Yon=Nov.
Thanwaa Khom=Dec.

Pronouns:
Khun=You
Tur=You
Phom=I(male)
Chan=I(female)
Khow=He/She

Question Words:
Khray=Who
Kii=How Many?
Meuray=When?
YangNgay=How

Colors: Sii
Sii Faa=Blue
Sii Khaaw=White
Sii Khiaw=Green
Sii Dum=Black
Sii Daeng=Red
Sii Som=Orange
Sii Chompuu=Pink
Sii Muang=Purple
Sii Nam Taan= Brown
Sii Leuang=Yellow

Numbers:
Neung=1
Song=2
Saam=3
Sii=4
Haa=5
Hok=6
Cet=7
Paet=8
Kaew=9
Sip=10
Sip Et=11
Sip Song:12
Sip Saam:13
continues til 19
Yii Sip=20
Yii Sip Et=21
Yii Sip Song=22
continues to 29
Saam Sip Et=31
Saam Sip...
Sii Sip Et=41
Sii Sip...

IAmMe

sarNie Egg
Thai is kinda similar to chinese ... esp the numbers ... do they write per alphabet like "a" "b" "c" to form a word ... or like chinese the word "saam" all in one character?

I hope you get what i mean ... Hehehe i'm not skillful in english ...

onahc

sarNie Elites
The thai language is complicated, reading and writing is difficult. Some words are written without vowels but you read the word as if the vowel is there. For example the work milk is nom. It is written nm but read nom. Isn't that weird? Sometimes you read a word without pronouncing all the letters. For example kob suwanan's name. suwanun is spelled with a "t" at the end but it is not pronounced.

Folks who want to learn how to read should take classes because it can't be simplified and taught online. Too many rules, variables and characters. And spelling the words karaoke style is no help, it just confuses people.

mongstaness

sarNie Adult
The thai language is complicated, reading and writing is difficult. Some words are written without vowels but you read the word as if the vowel is there. For example the work milk is nom. It is written nm but read nom. Isn't that weird? Sometimes you read a word without pronouncing all the letters. For example kob suwanan's name. suwanun is spelled with a "t" at the end but it is not pronounced.

Folks who want to learn how to read should take classes because it can't be simplified and taught online. Too many rules, variables and characters. And spelling the words karaoke style is no help, it just confuses people.
yep thats true. thats why im currently taking it in college right now.

CTR

The Realist guy here period
yep thats true. thats why im currently taking it in college right now.
It is cool that you want to learn Thai. I think it takes a while to learn how to read and write. Plus, there are plethora of rules to learn. It's not that you cannot learn it, it will just take some time. My mom keep trying to teach me but it is still hard for me.

mongstaness

sarNie Adult
It is cool that you want to learn Thai. I think it takes a while to learn how to read and write. Plus, there are plethora of rules to learn. It's not that you cannot learn it, it will just take some time. My mom keep trying to teach me but it is still hard for me.
the only problem im having rite now with thai, is recognizing some tones esp. for the short words. and the alphabet is kinda hard to memorize, but it's coming along.

mainhiathao

sarNie Granny
thanks you so much for this...its very helfull..:D...thanks again...

CTR

The Realist guy here period
the only problem im having rite now with thai, is recognizing some tones esp. for the short words. and the alphabet is kinda hard to memorize, but it's coming along.

I know what you are talking about. Keep going, you will get it sooner or later. It would help if you have someone to speak Thai with you constantly. So you can listen to their tones. Right now, I'm just trying to add to my vocabulary and put complex sentences together. I wish I was living in BKK right now so I can just speak Thai everyday so my Thai would be excellent.

In my area, there are barely any Thais but lots of Laotian so my Lao is way better. At the moment, I am only conversing in Thai, listening to Thai music, and watching Thai TV. I just want to balance out the two languages so when I do go visit my relative on my mom side, I can converse better than before.

http://www.thai2english.com/

KEEP GOING. B)

mongstaness

sarNie Adult
I know what you are talking about. Keep going, you will get it sooner or later. It would help if you have someone to speak Thai with you constantly. So you can listen to their tones. Right now, I'm just trying to add to my vocabulary and put complex sentences together. I wish I was living in BKK right now so I can just speak Thai everyday so my Thai would be excellent.

In my area, there are barely any Thais but lots of Laotian so my Lao is way better. At the moment, I am only conversing in Thai, listening to Thai music, and watching Thai TV. I just want to balance out the two languages so when I do go visit my relative on my mom side, I can converse better than before.

http://www.thai2english.com/

KEEP GOING. B)
yep. i use that website all the time.

lady0fdarkness

Professional Lakorn Watcher
hey Mr. Mongstaness. I noticed that you're really interested in learning Thai. There's someone from the Shout Out section that wants to offer Thai lessons. Just thought you might want to know. :D

good luck in your studies.

mongstaness

sarNie Adult
hey Mr. Mongstaness. I noticed that you're really interested in learning Thai. There's someone from the Shout Out section that wants to offer Thai lessons. Just thought you might want to know. :D

good luck in your studies.
im currently taking it rite now in college. n i love my acaan. she is so nice and encouraging.

sweet_yang

sarNie Adult
thanks so much for sharing your information with us. i'm not thai either, so i know very little of the thai language. thank you again!!

icebé

sarNie Egg
learning the thai alphabet isn't that hard - well i mean compared to chinese/japanese/korean/arabian... cuz i'v learned reading it really fast online. of course i'm still on a child level. I also love thai grammar: verbs don't change and you can leave some words out and still everybody understands you so it's really easy ^.^
i'v got the most problems with learning the tone rules - i really think the 5 diffrent tones are what's making thai a difficult language to learn.

for learning online i really recommend these two sides:
http://www.thai-language.com/lessons/ : reading, writing, grammar, tone rules, basic conversations, vocabulary... this side's got everything and i think the lessons are easy to understand, i really love this side esp. the "quizzes" part, where you can test your knowledge bout the thai alphabet
www.learningthai.com : reading, writing, speaking and listening - the lessons are also easy to understand and esp. the basic vocabulary's really useful for thai starters

onahc

sarNie Elites
The tones are difficult for foreigners in general but farangs take the cake. It's so funny when white people try to speak thai. I just can't help it, it's hilarious. You can't understand them most of the time and their accent is so off. I'm sorry but it's the truth and I had to let that out.

mongstaness

sarNie Adult
The tones are difficult for foreigners in general but farangs take the cake. It's so funny when white people try to speak thai. I just can't help it, it's hilarious. You can't understand them most of the time and their accent is so off. I'm sorry but it's the truth and I had to let that out.
i totally kno what ur talking about..lmao. im hmong, so the tones are already there, it's just a matter to getting mixed up with the thai tones and the hmong tones..