[Mainland] Ballad of the Desert

mintwix

MMの弁護士。
Well. If we're referring to the novels. I haven't read the sequel and probably likely won't ever read it - anytime soon at least. But there are always generous people willing to share spoilers. So the answer is "yes." HBQ (together w/ Yu Er) still "exist" in the sequel. They just won't make any full, prominent appearance. /// Spoiler and all.

Reactions: fun

aikoden

♥DREAMER♥
Staff member
I'm 5 EPs in... And I'm sorry... I can't help but spazz over Eddie he is so cheeky and adorable.. I'm just cringing because he had so little time on screen in those EPs... Can't wait for more future otp interaction..

I like HuGe too but... I'm sorry.. Eddie is pulling me in to the max for this drama XD. *fangirlsqueal*

aikoden

♥DREAMER♥
Staff member
I totally hate myself... I'm supposed to be studying for my finals this week... but I fell into temptation and watched over 25eps of this drama... I hate myself... *sniffsniff*

For a person who forgot the storyline of the novel... I'm really enjoying this drama... 1) because of my biasness for Eddie, 2) the wardrobe, 3) the otp interaction..

I'm ok with LSS, but I only found her cute or attractive here when she dressed up as the "young master" when she went to war with Eddie.  I think she looks better natural than with all the other light make-up...

I squeal at seeing Eddie as WWJ & his scenes... I look forward to those the most... I admit I do FF some scenes.. like for the Qi Xiang, Liji, and other random characters that I feel aren't important... even though they get screen time.. I actually feel that there are a lot of unnecessary scenes actually.

The storyline goes by fast... for example, you'll think it's only a few days that past... but it's actually months and years.. I wish they could've done a better transition at that... but oh well.  Th CGI/green screens are hilarious at times for me.. because it's so noticecably fake... but I think it's ok to watch though...

Btw, can anyone tell me why LSS's character XinYue bit Hu Ge's MoXun's neck as she fell into the broken ice water?  & why did Eddie's WWJ bite her on the neck afterwards?  Was he jealous?  That's what I'm assuming since he saw the bite mark on MX's neck....

Anyways, I just hate XY's undecisiveness... always getting swayed back and forth.. I feel bad for WWJ... he's so dedicated... can't you see that woman?? 

aikoden

♥DREAMER♥
Staff member
Oh drats!!!  I caught up to the subs.... now I'm going to have to patiently wait.. *sniffsniff*

Seriously, this going back and forth characters are really pushing me.. eehhhhh..  Who's really the good guy in the end? hehehe... :p

I feel bad for Mo Xun... but I don't exactly pity him.. because it's due to him that him/XinYue didn't work out.. He just gotta let it go...

For the concubine... omgahhh.. she's so annoying.. She's living like that because she CHOSE to live that life.. stop crying a river.. ;fjadlkfaklsdfja;lkjfaklfjaksdna .. and stop bothering with XinYue/WuJi ... gahhh... darn woman! 

As for WuJi/XinYue... I need more interactions ASAP!  sigh... what am I gonna get with the last 7 eps?  *sniffsniff*

mintwix

MMの弁護士。
If I knew earlier you were spazzing about eddie here I wouldn't have gone off topic in the RK thread. LOL.

I think the arc where Xin Yue cross dresses and enter Wuji's camp probably has the most interesting parts. I skip quite a lot of scenes myself. Although there is no direct connection, one scene even reminded me of a scene in Thepsin Intarajak. The gook gik atmosphere was very similar. The heroine cross dressing, pouting at their hubby, and the hubby claiming their status as the husband.

Now. This may be totally randomn but I always notice LSS, Margie, Janie T. and Anne T. all have distinct moles on their nose. I mention this because Margie had just uploaded a close up selfie on her Instagram just now. LOL. And also bc mine is so similar to LSS it's uncanny. Except on opposite side. Random !!!!

I think there's actually a few ways to interpret the biting scene and they're not all necessarily incorrect. For me, I would say Wuji bit Xinyue because he felt betrayed. We sorta have to try and understand what the act of biting means to them. Between him and Xinyue, it is part of their play and banter relationship. After all, Xin Yue was raised by wolves and you know dogs and wolves. Biting can be a form of affectionate expression. Before this scene, Xin Yue bit Wuji a couple of times or so. She sorta somewhat also does it with Hong Gu, who she consider her big sis. However, she never bit Wuji so hard that he actually bled or was left with a mark. Wuji's prolly all jelly thinking "you never gave me a deep, dark love bite !" That's my take on it. Lol. He really couldn't do anything else except give her a painful love bite back.

As for Mo Xun. A practical interpretation would be she did it to get him to let her go. She didn't want him to die with her. IIRC, in the novel her thoughts was that no matter what she cannot let him die....
But maybe a more romantic interpretation can be that it was her way of bidding farewell to him. Biting and stuff. -shrug- They're not mutually exclusive interpretations anyway. Hahaha.

aikoden

♥DREAMER♥
Staff member
I'm almost done Fun, just waiting for the last few eps to get subbed.  And goodness, I never even realized Margie has a mole on her nose... And I've seen like almost every single picture of her...  just like how I never realized Kwan has a scar on her upper nose bridge area.. because it was always evened out by make-up...

@Mint ... I thought of jealousy.. but not betrayed.. interesting, interesting.  I know that bite can mean a lot of things.  I admit I was pulled in by that scene though... because WuJi went for a kiss right after :p :p :p

And girl... I need you to come spazz with me about Eddie... It was so hard studying for my finals this week because all I kept thinking was Eddie.. ahaha.. so bad :p  I just really love his character in here.  I need a partner teehee XD

I wiki the real person.. and omg, he really does past away at such a young age :(

mintwix

MMの弁護士。
He did ! Didn't he ! Lol. Can't believe I almost forgot the kiss.

Which reminds me. About that forced kiss scene, Eddie was saying he didn't do it right the first time so the director told him to do it again....But then LSS cried.

There's a video uploaded on YouTube where he talks about it. I can't find it now unless I look at my liked videos lol. The same clip was also shown at the end of ep20???? I think. The cut versions. Not the English subbed ones.

Basically, he said he brushed his teeth and chewed gum before the kiss so why did she cry? 什麼意思 ??? Bwahahahahahahhahaahhaaha. I remember I cracked up so hard the first time I heard him say it. Haha. ~~~~~~~~ I love him.

Also, congrats for surviving finals! Now you can probably enjoy your winter break. Sigh~~~~ I love the holidays.

aikoden

♥DREAMER♥
Staff member
^ Xie xie ni :)  Almost didn't survive finals.. but somehow I magically did.

Thanks for sharing the pics.. gahahahaha.. I need to go find the clip now.  That's hilarious!  He brushed his teeth and chewed gum to freshen his mouth :p Oh Eddie, Eddie, Eddie :dance1:

aikoden

♥DREAMER♥
Staff member
*sniffsniff* thank you~~~  *fangirl*

I sorta squealed when I saw clips of Young Warriors too, oh memories... as well as the scene at the 2:30 mark of Eddie & Hu Ge from Chinese Paladin.

Sorry Mint ja.... You're gonna see a lot of squealing from me because.. I'm in deep for Eddie at the moment.. sigh, I go way back with him... and Hu Ge... but more Eddie :p :woot2:

aikoden

♥DREAMER♥
Staff member
Okay, okay.. I'm recalling the scene when Wu Ji asks Xin Yue to marry him... of course she does but... before all that did they really sleep together together?  I don't think so ... right?  They were just both drunk.. ... sad... and kissed... *coughcough*  unless it was supposed to be those "leave it to our imaginations to run wild" moment?  ahaha j/k j/k... but yeah.. I don't think they did the "deed" at that time right?

Anyways... I love flirty Wu Ji :p

Edit~

I find the scene when Xin Yue left Wu Ji at the temple to go with Mo Xun to be so sad.... I felt so sad for Wu Ji... standing under the tree... and watching his crush leave his side to go to another man... I couldn't help but pity him *sniffsniff*

mintwix

MMの弁護士。
I'll squeallll with you at the mention of young warriors. 55555 Hahaha. He said LSS played Yang Si Lang when he was supposed to say she paired up with Yang Silang. Lmfaooooooo !!!!! When I watched it, 4th brother was actually my bias. But I had no doubt even at that time that Eddie was a talented actor. It's just that Hu Ge and Peter had "larger" roles. Though to be honest, I actually wasn't drawn towards 6th brother very much even though he was supposed to be te central character eventually.

I really wanted to like the Chinese paladin series but I couldn't get past ep1. I stopped at the "wedding night" just barely past ep 1. Near the end of ep 1. Lol.

If you go to koala'splayground she translated the chapter title for the novel as
deflowered
So yeah. The deed was done.

L O L !!! Notice how Eddie's ears were sooooooooooo reddddddddd in that scene. Some studies say ppl who blush easily are kind and loyal in relationships. 555555555

aikoden

♥DREAMER♥
Staff member
Oh Mint.. I LOVE YOU!!!! :kiss2: :highfive: :woot2: :woot:

I can't stop squealing and feeling giddy on my side *coughcough*

As for when he mentioned 4th brother.. I caught that too... I was like huh?  4th brother is Peter... and LSS was the 4th's wife.. :p  I really loved Young Warriors.. 4th & 7th brother were my favorites.. I loved every single moment of them..  In reality it should be the 4th brother that survives.. but I don't know why they made the 6th stay alive... Right?  Anyways, I was a bit disappointed.. oh what a good but sad drama that was.

I first saw Eddie in Chinese Paladin.. he was just too darn cute and adorable in there.  Well actually, it was through that drama that I came to know many of the other actors/actresses... but anyhow... it's ok if you can't continue on with that one... Eddie had long hair in there... but I thought him and the girl in there were quite cute together...  I.... can't recall much of it since it's been so long... like almost close to a decade since I watched it... cause I mean.. I was like a middle schooler then?  Of course Hu Ge was the main focus.. while Eddie is supporting.. at least he did get some scenes here and there..

I just want to state that Eddie deserves an applaud for his success throughout.  He improves with each role, and he always give in every ounce of him... such a dedicated and hardworking man.  That's why I grew to appreciate and admire him throughout all these years.. :)

Interesting study.... I feel that Eddie would be the type to be loyal in a relationship.  :dance2:

~~~

I just read the chapter from koala.. hmm, interesting.  The deed was done... *coughcough*  Wei Wu Ji was a man though if I must say... he loved his woman... and I loved that he didn't use that excuse to make her marry him.. instead, they happily decided to get married.  When she said yes, you can tell how happy and exstatic Wu Ji must've felt. :dance1:

aikoden

♥DREAMER♥
Staff member
Oh... I must say that during the snowing scenes.. I couldn't help but picture BBJX because the snowing scenes there were so memorable.... I kept picturing Nicky Wu popping out to meet LSS but... I was like no that can't be... I'm not watching BBJX :p

mintwix

MMの弁護士。
Eddie actually filed a lawsuit against his original management and won the case. When you think about how much he had to go through against a giant, almost getting blacklisted and etc, I think it's very admirable how tough he is. He came so far. And such a pro too. I can see how much passion and effort he puts in each and every one of his project. He's also been pretty low profile with his personal life yet manages to win so many friends in the biz. Smart guy.

It's also sweet how he shows so much love towards his mum and big sis. He's always promoting his sis fashion wherever he goes and on his Instagram.

Hehehehehe. When I think of 4th and 7th brothers together I get so giddyyyy. I love peter and and eddie so much in there. They were my favorite brothers - I adoreeeee their bromance. 55555 Which makes it all the more funny to me when I heard Eddie mention Silang. Lmfao. I have to admit it was hard choosing which was my favorite. Silang and Qilang were like polar opposites. One was all emo and complicated (albeit sexy :p) in the beginning and the other was all cheerful and childlike. I must have watched their scenes together at least 50 times.

About 6, in real history it really was him who survived. I think 5 also survived but he became a monk and didn't even participate in the later battles.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yang_Yanzhao

But in the drama 4, 5, 6 all survived even though 6 was the only one who managed to return to and stay with the remaining family members.

aikoden said:
Oh... I must say that during the snowing scenes.. I couldn't help but picture BBJX because the snowing scenes there were so memorable.... I kept picturing Nicky Wu popping out to meet LSS but... I was like no that can't be... I'm not watching BBJX :p
Lol. I thought of 8th prince instead. His scenes also had snow.

Also. Just because I love them. Hahaha !

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iOD0DEwEPu8

aikoden

♥DREAMER♥
Staff member
^ Yeah, I remember reading about the case back then.. and oh boy.. scary.  I'm just glad it's all in the past for Eddie, and that he won the case... and he's still a strong/tough man today.  I love his relationship with his mom & sis too <3  He's admirable in many ways :yes: I'm proud of this fellow.  *sniffsniff*

The bromance between Si-lang & Qi-lang was hard not to ignore... because you got this cold stern man who hates his parents for abandoning him... but you see him slowly change because of Qi-lang's childlike behaviors.... Plus, it was really mostly Qi-lang's effort in trying to befriend Si-lang when no one else really cared to...  I felt that it was sort of like an "opposites attract" chemistry... except they're brothers :p  It's nice seeing how their differences in personality balanced eachother. 

Thanks for the clip :heart: :kiss3:   I've seen it many times teehee, I don't get sick of it.. because of Qi-lang's child-like dorkiness behavior.. and Si-lang's expressions.  Oh their bonding time. :thumbsup:

As for who survived.  Interesting, I must've read fictional facts/news back then... because I read that it was the 4th brother that survived during the wartime.. oh well.  It's a pretty sad tragedy nonetheless for the Yang family. :cry1:

I really loved the scene in the beginning when Wu Ji puts on a mask to scare Xin Yue but it back-fired.. that scene was already so intimate, since it was still an early encounter for the two. :pervie:

mintwix

MMの弁護士。
LOL. They made a lot of the scenes more innocent. That mask scene was cute but it could have been orchestrated differently and closer to the original. With more suggestive skin ship. But yes, it still quite a lot for a "first encounter." Which reminds (something always reminds me of another and it goes on and on hahaha) I forgot where I saw this bts and I can't find it now, but I am pretty sure they filmed a lot more that was cut out. I remember seeing in a bts where XY falls to sleep on Wuji's back while riding the horse together- their first real encounter. It was also in the novel so I'm pretty sure they filmed it but just edited it out like they tend to do with many parts unfortunately.

I feel like I say this kind of stuff a lot but oh well. I'm gonna say it again. Even though I appreciate the series, they could have done a lot better. Hahahaha!!!! There were some parts that I think could have been more developed and not brushed over. I.E. The fight between XY's pigeons and the falcon. There were also many parts that I think they could have made better use of Eddie an LSS's chemistry. I also haven't mused over it very much, but I wasn't very touched when
Wuji returned from battle to find XY near death's door and their baby taken from them. Nor was I touched when XY confessed about the suicidal stunt she took to protect their real baby
. For the first part, I wasn't sure if it was the voice actor or eddie and for the second part I blame the director. LOL.

But really, I put my critiques aside because I honestly, truly do appreciate this series. So I just focus on the positive stuff. The part that makes me happy. 5555 In fact, it might sound super exaggerating and cheesy, but watching this series I feel like I can finally die in peace. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: It's just been so long since an onscreen pairing has made me feel so ..... ? Can't find the word for it and won't bother to. LOL. But I dare say it could be well over ten years.

Even Eddie said this series felt "fated" and "destined". 555 It's subjective language but I agree. It took three years for them to finally broadcast the series and for it to air this year at the time that it aired - personally, I really appreciate it in a way that I probably would not have if it were 2-3 years ago.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?list=LLpV5ga312ErqjObWIdaXUug&v=GhURCj7mgrY

aikoden

♥DREAMER♥
Staff member
I feel you, I feel you!!!  I can't find a word to describe the feel.. but I feel you.  I'm just super satisfied you know... sigh.

I personally hate it when many scenes get cut out... but it can't be helped :(  Should I go read some translated parts of the novel Mint?  haha, just so I can picture more Eddie/LSS scenes that were cut out? :p  Did they follow everything exactly like the novel?  Or did they do some tweaking here and there too? 

Oh that spoiler... I haven't gotten to there yet.. so I can't picture their interactions... *coughcough*

Sigh, I should pick up Mandarin again.. just so I can understand what Eddie is saying *sniffsniff*  (I only took a semester worth..long ago) ... Just looking at Eddie talking makes me giddy :p

Off topic, but how many languages do you understand/know Mint? haha.. I remember seeing you have a collection of Chinese novels besides your Thai ones too on your blog. *coughcough* I'm not a stalker :p

edit~

*coughcough* Anyone know where I can get a Wu Ji?  I'd like someone to help comb my hair too... ahahaha XD :bhehe: :crush: :loool:
He's too loyal and loving *sniffsniff* Which is a great thing.  :teary: