No More Internet?

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
Guess what the internet might be gone! LOL

Doom-filled warnings arrive from AT&T this week. The company says that without substantial investment in network infrastructure, the Internet will essentially run out of bandwidth in just two short years.

Blame broadband, says AT&T. Decades of dealing with the trickle of bandwidth consumed by voice and dialup modems left AT&T twiddling its thumbs. The massive rise of DSL and cable modem service in the 2000s has had AT&T facing a monstrous increase in the volume of data transmissions. And that's set to increase another 50 times between now and 2015. That's enough, says AT&T, to all but crash the system.

In response, AT&T says it's investing $19 billion to upgrade the backbone of the Internet, the routers, servers, and connections where the bulk of traffic is processed.

Of course, AT&T is using this breathlessness in part to point fingers beyond simple broadband use. Web video (especially high-definition video) is the most commonly mentioned bandwidth hog. AT&T says video alone will eat up 80 percent of traffic in two years vs. just 30 percent now. One wonders how YouTube doesn't collapse under the pressure. Hmmm.

Meanwhile, many are wondering whether this is prelude to AT&T announcing (or not announcing, but doing anyway) a traffic prioritization/shaping system like Comcast has been tinkering with... and which has earned it nothing but scorn. Net neutrality (which would forbid premium pricing for certain Internet applications and destinations) is a topic that continues to be hotly debated on Capitol Hill, and telcos are anxious to kill the idea since they'd love to be able to charge additional money for different kinds of web traffic. If the whole Internet is about to crash, well, that makes AT&T's argument all the more compelling, doesn't it?

Actual Article
http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/90339

nina07

sarNie Adult
wtf???

i cannot live without internet or my computer at all !!! its basically my jesus..haha jk..but no, if there was no internet i would probably go crazy because i would be absolutely positively DEAD BORED..

darvil

sarNie Adult
Silly argument.. AT&T trying to win some publicity.

If they can't provide what customers want then they might as well die like the dinosaurs.

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
=.= If you don't have AT&T then don't worry about it? LOL I think it's just AT&T going down :lol: those with fiber optics and etc shouldn't have to worry lols at least I don't think so.

genkers

sarNie Juvenile
its what darv said they jsut wanting publicity and they haven't provided any info or data pointing to that so until we see real prove don't listen to at &t

none3

sarNie Hatchling
I'll believe it when it happens---for now, i'm just going to live one day at a time.

thanks for sharing ;)

noungning

Heartless
why panic, just switch providers ;)

um why care, isn't the world suppose to end soon anyways... lol just go do something :p

Quarter

Tell me about it.
i have at&t. oh crap. it's a pretty good deal too man. crap crap. i need myspace, it's like my phone.

help what?!?! lol u look cuter with it over ur head, keep it on but don't sufficate :p
dang. that's cold. why you gotta be so cruel. :lol: anyway, don't worry. I will cut out holes for breathing purposes. i learned how to do it elementary school for halloween.