Rang Ngao

fun

Expired Sarnie
Okay I have started the marathon today. Just finished episode 6. Veekit is such a sweet heart. He takes her out to eat so that she doesn't hear the gossip in the cafeteria.

roselovesice

방탄소년단 x Bangtan Sonyeondan x JiTaew
Man. I still need to get started with this lakorn. lol
Maybe in the summer when I have time. ahaha

JayDK

sarNie Egg
Like many others, I'm a big fan of Ken and Ann. I just finished this series and it's been fascinating to see them in their first series together from 10 years ago, especially because I think this early series plays to their particular strengths as actors and a pairing in ways that are better than even some of their later series. In particular, I love love LOVE the combo of Ken as Veekit, the sweet innocent young man and Ann as Nin, the dangerous, slightly older woman who has ulterior motives for appearing in his life. Ken has a sweet little boy quality that is particularly highlighted here -- his Veekit is so good-hearted and yet naieve in his approach to life; he's a mama's boy with assumptions of wisdom that he doesn't really have, and yet Ken makes him completely endearing and touching. Whereas Ann brings a strength and even ruthless edge to her performance that to me is a unique hallmark of hers, and uses it incredibly well as Nin both tries to exact revenge and make peace with her loss and guilt. And the electric chemistry between the two as always just works, and makes them so good to watch together.

The qualities Ken and Ann bring to these roles are especially intriguing given the focus of the series on the often brutal power struggle between men and women and whether there can be a relationship of equals as opposed to victim and victimizer. In this series, sex is rotten, used for selfish pleasure or power and often resulting in total destruction for women; even sweet Veekit eventually refers to women with previous sexual experience as "secondhand." In this world, with the struggle for power through sex, the rape is not out of place, but a crucial turning point. Veekit can't understand how others can commit terrible sins until he himself does something terrible, whereas Nin cannot forgive those who hurt her sister until she herself is brutally hurt and must choose between continuing to seek revenge and stopping the cycle of pain. There was also a sense that Nin could not stop blaming herself for her sister's death until she had suffered in some way as well. I especially liked that unlike many Thai lakorns, this rape scene was portrayed as a real physical struggle with things broken and messed up, and that Veekit, also unlike many Thai lakorns, didn't just want Nin's forgiveness so they could get back together, but genuinely believed he had done something horrific and learned from that experience.

While I understand that the emotional climax of the story was revealing Tha's death, I did find it unbelievable that Veekit and Nin reunited at the end as quickly as they did. I believed that Nin let go of her anger and forgave Veekit, and that she did love him, but not quite that Nin would want to be with Veekit again that soon or that easily. The way it became a cutesy set-up with Nin's friends and co-workers was just a little jarring. Part of the issue was that Ann does such a good job portraying her character's hurt, pain and rage that it's hard for me to believe that her character can let all that go in order to wrap it up in a traditional happy ending; I had the same issue with Sawan Biang x1000. I think watching to see how Veekit and Nin, the young conservative guy and the smart, more worldly-wise, and wealthier lady, worked things out, would be a whole story in and of its own. How would his family take having Nin around, particularly his mom? How would Veekit deal with the strong-willed, independent Nin, and how much patience would tempermental Nin have with him? How do they deal with sex, that big old elephant in the room, given their particular awful history? Not the story that this lakorn was set to tell, but it all does leave me wondering, and I like that the characters and performance linger with him that strongly.

Reactions: fun

phatman

POPE's #1 MIA LUANG
^^ Wow what a great review you've got there.

I really like this lakorn, it's one of my favorites from Ken and Anne.

fun

Expired Sarnie
Standing ovation to JayDK, that was an extraordinary review you gave there.

I just finished rewatching this last week because the 2012 version aired. As good of an actress Janie is, I am quite disappointed with what I have seen so far (currently airing and I haven't started on episode 8).

I love the complexity of this version. Society usually condemn the mistress for homewrecking a family but here we have a totally different view. Rape in lakorn is um... complicated. New viewers to lakorn will find it obscene. Some would argue "how can you fall in love with your rapist?" Rape is sexual intercourse without consent of the other involve. Even husband and wife are victim of each other. So do you still love your spouse? Like I said, this is complex.

phatman

POPE's #1 MIA LUANG
Standing ovation to JayDK, that was an extraordinary review you gave there.

I just finished rewatching this last week because the 2012 version aired. As good of an actress Janie is, I am quite disappointed with what I have seen so far (currently airing and I haven't started on episode 8).

I love the complexity of this version. Society usually condemn the mistress for homewrecking a family but here we have a totally different view. Rape in lakorn is um... complicated. New viewers to lakorn will find it obscene. Some would argue "how can you fall in love with your rapist?" Rape is sexual intercourse without consent of the other involve. Even husband and wife are victim of each other. So do you still love your spouse? Like I said, this is complex.
^^ Agree. I also like the calmness of every character in this version, they use more verbal and classy attacks. I haven't seen the current version, but from the teasers, I can see Nappa going overboard and crazy...

fun

Expired Sarnie
what i love about this version is that it is very intense without all the bitching and slapping. moonin did not attack without first being provoked. she didnt fire up when insults were thrown at her. the only problem i had was her forgiving veekit so fast but i think it still work out in the end. he was remorseful and was disgusted with himself that he had taken advantage of her. not a lot of pra ek are disgusted with themselves when they rawr nang ek. and i like the fact that they kept showing him drinking beer from the very beginning and he suddenly refuse to drink it again after he rawr her. i say tanya sort of ruin it for me. i dont think she should have gotten the part. she is a good actress but it seem like she is really taking it out on pinky thru acting lol

phatman

POPE's #1 MIA LUANG
^^ Yup, exactly. Moonin used intellect, and Anne did superb at portraying Moonin. I liked the fact that they made this lakorn very real, like with Veekit needing a beer or two every night haha. I don't see that often in lakorns unless the pra'eks are stress and depressed about their love interest, and especially since Veekit is the good mama's boy. Usually good boys like him in lakorns are clean of alcohol, you know what I mean? Haha.

I think with Moonin forgiving Veekit, it's because she had already fallen in love with him and was already guilty for not intentionally using him to provoke Pope. After he rapes her she even blames herself for turning the sweet Veekit into a lust-monster like Pope (well, not exactly a lust-monster haha, but you know what I mean)...so I guess her love and guilt made her forgive him sooner than expected.

About Tanya, I totally agree too. She's great at being the b*tchy lady, but I think she overdoes things. I feel bad for her situation, but I don't know why she chose to play this role. I guess it's a way for her to prove to people that she isn't affected by her life problem.

fun

Expired Sarnie
ah i wish i can delete all the good lakorns i have watched and watch them again like it was my very first time. she did a good job with mootha too.

phatman

POPE's #1 MIA LUANG
^^Totally. If I really like a certain lakorn, I usually wait 1 or 2 years before watching it ALL over again, so I won't remember what exactly happens haha. Like with 365 Wan Hang Ruk, I watched it when it came out and just finished watching it again last month without remembering what exactly happened.

Tigrafr

sarNie Hatchling
I have do one marathon yesterday and i have loved this, between the serie and the history and also the pairing i just loved it.

trina_ben

sarNie Adult
Anyone knows where i can watch the 2nd half of this lakorn with english subs? The one in dailymotion is only 20/35 :crybaby2: