Sapphire Heart (ch.04 . 09.26.12)

Miss Bouakham

sarNie Hatchling
8.28.14: Check out my blog for future updates at missbouakham.wordpress.com
 ​
 ​
***All places, persons, and events are fictional. No offense is intended towards the celebrities. Except for borrowed images and names, all characters are not intentionally created to portray real people, past or present.

© MISS BOUAKHAM 2012. All rights reserved. Distribution of any kind is prohibited without the written consent of MISS BOUAKHAM.

​
C H A P T E R ♦ L I N K S:
 ​
01 ♦ 02 ♦ 03 ♦ 04 ♦

Miss Bouakham

sarNie Hatchling
C H A P T E R ♦ 01
Somewhere between Channarong Palace and Piyabutr Palace…

“I think we’re lost.”

Nadech turned left and right, noting that his surrounding was nothing but green trees with overgrown branches. Wild plants dotted along any soil that was not covered by thick roots. As expected of the untamed jungle, there was no clear road to delineate civility from the wilderness. The scenery was beginning to look eerily similar; Nadech felt as though they had not taken a step forward, as though they have not made any progress despite having traveled for half a day.

Nadech turned to Kiet and noticed the frown on his companion’s face. With a dark complexion, Kiet had long hair, which he left loose. Kiet scratched his head, confused. “The uncle said we shouldn’t walk for long before we see a road to the left. We’ve been walking for quite some time now and there has been no road in sight.”

Nadech had the same growing suspicion, but he was reluctant to admit it. “Kiet, men don’t get lost in the woods. It’s simply unheard of.” Known for his stubborn streak, Nadech refused to believe that he was more than likely going in circles. “Perhaps the road is not as developed and maybe we missed the turn. Now, we’ll just retrace our steps. It should be simple enough. We haven’t gone too far within this trail to be lost.”

Pulling on the reins, Nadech urged his black stallion to turn around. “Come, Paibool,” he said, giving the stallion a gentle pat on his backside. The stallion neighed but obeyed his master’s order.

“Wait—” Kiet drew in his reins and listened quietly. “There are people nearby.”

Nadech paused and listened as well. True to Kiet’s words, Nadech could hear muffled voices from the far right. The soft breeze that stroked the tree branches masked the voices, making it inaudible. With the thick foliage, Nadech could not see who was on the other side of the forest.

“Perhaps we are near the road,” Nadech announced.

Suddenly, there was a distressed shout followed by a high peal of mischievous laughter.

“Come.” Nadech urged his stallion in the direction of the voices.

“Is it wise?”

Kiet’s voice fell on deaf ears. Nadech was already galloping through the dense wood.

As Nadech emerged from the forest, ducking away from the sharp branches, he saw a road in sight. In the middle of the road was a group of men on horses. As Nadech approached the group, he realized that the gang was surrounding a young boy.

“Hand over the bag,” one of the men ordered. From his staunchly pose, he appeared to be the leader of the gang. His demeanor demanded that his orders be obeyed. Nadech had partaken in enough battles to recognize when a man was leading and when a man was following.

Quickly, the boy did as he was told, tossing his satchel to one of the nearby minions.

“Now, get off your horse.”

The boy gasped. Grabbing tightly onto the horse’s reins, he shouted, “Definitely not!”

“What’s going on here?” Nadech interrupted. “Who are you?”

The gang leader puffed his chest as though to demonstrate his stamina. He reminded Nadech of an overconfident rooster, especially with his sloppy facial hair and disheveled clothes. “They call me Decha, for my strength and my reputation as the most respected leader of my trade.”

Nadech didn’t realize larceny was a trade to boast about.

“Do you know him?” Decha asked, motioning at the young boy.

“That’s irrelevant.”

“You’d best go on your way if you don’t want any trouble today.” He turned away, dismissing Nadech, and focusing his attention on the boy. “Now, the horse I said.”

“Never!” The boy pulled his reins, preparing to take off.

Nadech drew nearer to the group. He realized his patience was wearing thin. “Isn’t it embarrassing for you to be bullying someone half your size?” Nadech goaded. He knew well that men were easily provoked, and once their manhood was put on the line, they become reckless in order to protect their title.

“You’re really asking to see your maker, aren’t you?” Decha threatened. The group of men behind him became skittish as Nadech continued approaching them, undaunted by the menace on their leader’s face. Nadech snorted at the cowards. One thing Nadech could never withstand was a coward who hid behind a shield.

“I haven’t exercised my arm much today,” Nadech said, turning to Kiet.

Kiet nodded in agreement. “Me neither. It’s itching for some action.”

“Perhaps we should get our exercise that’s long overdue.” Nadech turned back to Decha. “Who wants to be first?” Narrowing his eyes, Nadech placed his hand over the hilt of his sword. As easily as Nadech’s smile could melt hearts, his scowl could also freeze a soul with fear.

All the minions looked at one another, no one daring to meet their leader’s eyes.

“Well, what are you all waiting for?” Decha shouted. “Make yourself useful!” He pointed at Nadech. “Attack this instant!”

Setting in motion, albeit a brief second of hesitancy, the men rushed forward. Nadech smiled, his lips curling in as his eyes darkened. As the men came at him in pairs of two, Nadech deftly avoided their swords. It was child play. His speed and experience was no match for the cronies. Soon, Nadech and Kiet left the men horseless as they fell onto the ground. The majority of the frightened cowards ran off in the opposite direction.

Those that remained stood cowering behind their leader. Nadech turned to Decha. He raised a brow. “Well? When will it be your turn?”

Decha’s eyes darted back and forth from Nadech to Kiet. Angry, he turned to his cronies. “A bunch of useless imbeciles!” he cursed. Grabbing his reins, he thundered off into the woods.

Nadech turned to the group of men left behind. “So?”

Like the cowards that they are, they scrambled away, following their leader’s footsteps.

“Pathetic fools,” Kiet spat on the ground. “If I ever see them again I’ll make them regret the day they were born on this earth…”

Nadech turned to the quiet boy, surprised the boy hadn’t made his escape when he had the chance. “Are you okay?”

♦♦♦♦

Urassaya studied the man in front of her. His thick brows furrowed in a deep show of concern, his warm eyes full of worry. She felt her heart skipped a beat at his sincerity. Who would risk their life to help a complete stranger?

“Are you okay?” he repeated, his frown deepening at her silence.

“Is he in shock?” the second man asked.

Urassaya cleared her throat and said in the deepest voice she could, “Thank you gentlemen for your help. I owe you both.”

The first man waved his arm. “Speak nothing of it. Any decent human would have stepped in.” Somehow, Urassaya doubted his statement, but she made no attempt to disagree.

She noticed that between the two, he was taller, with broad shoulders that completely filled his red shirt with yellow trimmings. He wore a headgear of brown and green weaved with gold threads. Although both men’s outfits were similar in simplicity, Urassaya could tell that he was the one in command. There was an air of authority to his presence, but it was subtle enough, hidden behind his display of relaxed ease. But after witnessing him with his sword, she knew he could easily become intimidating.

“What is your name?” he inquired.

“Just call me ‘Ya,’” Urassaya answered smoothly. She had been traveling for many days and the lie now came easily to the tongue.

“Ya?” he echoed. “What an odd name.”

“It’s shortened. Everyone calls me that.”

He smiled, simply accepting her explanation.

Urassaya thought his best feature had been his high, aristocratic nose. But now she realized it was his smile that deepened the dimples on both his cheeks; the left side more pronounced than the right.

“My name is Nadech. And this is my…friend, Kiet.”

Urassaya bowed. “It’s a privilege to meet you both. Where are you guys headed to?”

“Actually, we’re looking for a certain town but it seems we have lost track of the main road.”

“Which town?” Urassaya knew the area well.

“Kamol,” they both answered in unison.

“Kamol?”

“Yes,” Nadech reinforced. “Do you think you will be able to direct us there?”

“Of course.” Urassaya grinned. “This is the road you’ve been looking for.”

“Oh?” A look of surprise crossed his face. Then he laughed at the irony. “Well, fate certainly has a funny way of solving our problems.”

Urassaya liked how easily laughter came to him. And he was always smiling, as though he had so much happiness in him that he wanted to distribute it everywhere he went. If she wasn’t careful, he could easily become infectious.

“If you both want, I can show you the way. Kamol is my next destination too.”

“That would be great,” Nadech agreed, his smile broadening.

Urassaya urged her horse forward. As they set off, Nadech rode alongside her. Kiet followed closely behind them. Urassaya wondered if he was really a friend or a guard. But if Kiet was a guard, that meant Nadech was someone from high society.

“That’s an impressive horse you have,” Nadech commented. “I can see why those contrabands wanted your horse.”

“Yes, Narong is great.” Urassaya patted her bronze stallion and smiled proudly. She was impressed by Nadech’s astute observation. Not only was her horse from an upscale breed but its intense training also left him strong and muscular. Narong was her most reliable form of transportation.

“No matter how great he is, it was still foolhardy of you to refuse giving him up.” Nadech’s voice was almost scolding; as though he had been worried about Urassaya. “What would you have done if Kiet and I did not arrive in time?”

“I would have put up a fight. Narong is fast enough to outrun them.”

He shook his head. “Wrong answer.”

“I’ve used all my money to barter for him,” Urassaya said defensively. “I won’t give him up.”

“Why would you spend so much on a horse?”

“I figured money can’t give me four legs, it can’t transport me to my destination. Without Narong, it would be really hard for me to continue on. Anyway, it’s good that the fates intervened. You and Kiet came just in time.”

“Don’t count on that always happening. You are much too young to understand how cruel this world can be. Those men were ready to take a life, your life, in place of a horse.”

Urassaya rolled her eyes. He really thought she was naïve.

“What are you doing in Kamol?” Urassaya asked, curious to know where he was heading, and desperate to change the topic. She had a feeling that if given half a chance, he would lecture her until her ears were red and sore.

“We need to re-stock more traveling supplies,” Nadech answered, pointing at the empty satchel hanging on the side of his saddle.

At the word ‘we,’ Urassaya realized she had completely forgotten that Kiet existed. He was so quiet; his presence was almost unnoticeable. He definitely had qualities of a well-trained guard. Interesting.

At the mention of stock, Urassaya turned grim. Those contrabands now have her satchel. She was running low on funds. And with little experience and not enough time, Urassaya couldn’t afford to take on short-term work.

Urassaya looked at the man riding next to her. She knew money when she sees it. Despite his attempt to appear common, she was certain that money was something he had plenty of. How did she know? It was probably because of Kiet, who seemed more a guard than a friend. Or perhaps it was Nadech’s mannerisms. He spoke confidently, his posture poised and self-assured.

Whoever he was, Urassaya needed him. Contriving a plot in her mind, Urassaya took a deep breath and offered, “Once we reach town, let me treat you and Kiet to a meal and some good liquor. Kamol is known for their brewed beer.”

“That’s not necessary,” Nadech refused. “I don’t expect anything in return.”

“But I insist.”

“Really, it’s not necessary. Kiet and I are in a hurry. I am simply relieved to know that nothing happened to you.”

Urassaya puckered her lips, putting on her most convincing sad face. “It’s customary here to accept a friend’s show of gratitude. To do otherwise is a great insult to me.”

“Really?”

Urassaya wanted to laugh at how gullible he was. But at his earnest face, she began to feel her guilt weighing on her. She silently told herself that she must be steadfast, she can’t have her conscience deter her from getting what she needed. It probably won’t make a difference to him.

“Yes, really. Friendship and acknowledging appreciation is greatly valued here. It’s an old tradition the villagers follow almost religiously.” Urassaya knew there was probably a place in hell reserved just for facetious liars like her.

“Well…” Nadech looked behind him. “What do you say, Kiet?”

Kiet smirked. “Free liquor? I won’t be able to refuse.”

Urassaya smiled. Things were going as planned.

zazoured

sarNie Juvenile
Omg !!!! Miss Bouakham , so glad to see you among the talented writers !!! . Thank you so much for this very interesting story of Yadech !!! Is Nadech a prince ? I am also very intrigued by Urassaya , disguised as a boy . I am dying to know what her purpose is.
Love your writting style , cannot wait to read chapter two !!! 

asque

sarNie Egg
You have a good choice of words!!! And a disguise?!?! Wonder what his reaction will be like when he finds out!! Thanks for the chapter and cant wait for the next!! :D

Vimalee

Live Love Laugh
Wow, Miss Bouakham, you are so talented!

I like your writing style and the story is very interesting. I'm hooked already and can not wait to read more!

Thanks for sharing your talents, time, and efforts here at AF.

:dance1: :dance1: :dance1: :dance1: :dance1:

shengvang

sarNie Adult
I'm loving it so far. And like vimalee said, I really like your writing style. Great
job.

Oh and thanks for the update Miss Bouakham <3

Miss Bouakham

sarNie Hatchling
Author's Note: Thank you everyone for reading and sharing your thoughts. I won't drag out the boy disguise plot for long, after all, we can't have sweet Yadech scenes if Yaya remains as a boy, right? :wink: Anyway, sometimes I post long chapters, I hope no one minds...

suayrerdcherdsode – Hello dear, glad you found the first chapter interesting…I promise there will be more progress between Yadech soon ;-)

zazoured – dear, thanks for your sweet comment. What can I say? Yadech got under my skin, I just had to write a fic of them while we wait for Rising Sun :D Anyway, interesting prediction on Nadech^^

narkrakdin24^^ – I hope you like this chapter! :)

asque – thank you for your compliment <3 you’ll have to read on to find out when Nadech will discover her disguise, hehe^^

Vimalee – I should be thanking you for taking the time to give this fic a chance…I hope you will continue to enjoy it as the story progresses :)

kenann fan – Aw, I’m glad to hear you’re liking the story. Thanks for reading and I hope you like this chapter as well :)

C H A P T E R ♦ 02

“Kamol is a small, but thriving town,” Urassaya explained as the town loomed over in the distance. The town center was lined with establishments from inns and taverns to seamstresses and markets. Further back, closer to the jungle, were two-story homes made of bamboo and thatched roofs that stood against the lush, green forest.

“Kamol has established itself as a trades center. If you guys are here earlier in the day, you will see vendors set up their cart displaying their assorted products. The merchants here are very creative.”

“You seem to have a lot of knowledge about this place,” Nadech remarked. Urassaya noticed the quiet way he listened to her speak, as though he reserved his undivided attention only for her. It was instinctive for him to lean closer, focusing on her wholeheartedly. “Is this your hometown?”

Urassaya shook her head. “Actually, I was here yesterday.”

“Oh?”

“This is the closest town around here. Since those thugs stole my belongings, I have to come back here to restock.”

“Have you any funds on you?”

Urassaya hesitated. Not really. She probably only have enough to get by for the night. The rest depended on whether or not her plans succeed.

He quickly offered, “We will split what I buy.”

“That’s not necessary,” Urassaya said, her guilt amplifying at his generosity. How could he selflessly help someone he was not indebted to? She knew by the end of the night, she would probably drown in her own shame. He made it so hard to manipulate him. “I have…my own secret fund,” she lied.

Nadech smiled. “That’s very clever of you.”

“Clever…” Urassaya repeated the word to herself, cherishing the compliment as though it was her first. “No one’s ever used that word to describe me.”

“Surely you jest. I’ve spent enough time in your company now that I can confidently say you’re one of the most quick-witted person I know.”

“That doesn't say a lot about the people you know.”

He laughed. “You’re very modest.”

There was something about his throaty laughter that made Urassaya pause to catch her breath. She quickly looked away. If she was not careful, she might blow her own cover.

Soon, they reached Kamol. Leading their horses by the reins, Urassaya led the men into the center of town. “I know a comfortable rest place,” she said. “They serve good food and liquor.”

Urassaya spotted the inn as she spoke. It had two structures. The first building was used as a bar and restaurant to serve guests. There was a back door that led outside to the second building with spare rooms that guests can pay for its usage.

They secured their horses in front of the inn, then Urassaya led them inside. There were many empty tables. Urassaya noticed that Kamol was one of the few towns with less active taverns. There were some towns she had visited that have taverns with rowdy crowds.

“One bottle please, madam,” Urassaya ordered as she led Nadech and Kiet to a dark corner at the back of the room. She needed as much privacy as she could get in order for her plan to follow through.

“You came back,” the elderly hostess, who was also the owner, greeted Urassaya as she placed a bottle on the table followed by three gourd cups. Short with pudgy arms and legs, she called herself Mother Buppha and greeted all guests as though they were her own children. She personally prepared all her food. Urassaya imagined that eating her own mother's food would have tasted like eating Mother Buppha’s dishes.

“Yes, my sister will be getting married after all.”

“Congratulations then! Appetizer will be on the house.”

As Mother Buppha sauntered away, Urassaya turned around and saw Nadech’s questioning eyes. “Your sister will be getting married? I thought you came back to restock.”

Urassaya smiled, trying to hide her deceit. “The first rule of thumb you will learn as you travel is to never tell the truth. It’s best to lay low and say little. And when you do talk, tell anything but the truth.”

“Is that so?” Instead of growing suspicious, Urassaya saw a sparkle in his eyes that spoke more of fascination than anything else.

“Here, let me pour you men some of these highly acclaimed liquor.” Urassaya had made certain she brought them to the one place known for having the strongest liquor. Time was something she did not have much of.

Sitting across the table from both men, she poured Nadech a cup, then she poured Kiet one.

When Nadech motioned to pour her one, Urassaya quickly said, “No, thank you.” She rubbed her abdomen for extra effect. “I’ve been having a stomachache all day. I should go easy on the liquor. I’ll just drink water.”

“I don’t handle my drinks too well,” Nadech confessed. “I guess that’s my weakest attribute.”

What luck! Urassaya tried to hide her excitement at the news. She felt her plan was falling perfectly together as the seconds ticked by. The faster he became unconscious, the better. “Nonsense. One might argue that it’s the highlight of your character. A man who practices moderation is to be admired.” Urassaya turned to Kiet, “How about you? Can you handle your liquor?”

He grinned. “I chug them down like water.”

“Well, here’s an extra cup for you then,” Urassaya said as she poured some liquor into the third cup and handed it to him. He drank both cups with eagerness.

When the plate of appetizers arrived, Urassaya nibbled on her food, leaving the majority for both men to eat. Since she was tricking them into drinking all this liquor, the least she could do was to ensure they weren't drinking on empty stomachs.

Urassaya kept to her cup of water, her fingers fidgeting with the smooth gourd as she watched both men drink.

"Are you guys married?" she asked, trying to facilitate their conversation, hoping it would hide her anxiety. The longer she sat there, the more she was starting to question the wisdom of her plot. What was she going to do with two drunken men? She couldn't leave them there, could she?

They both shook their head. Urassaya noticed that alcohol made Nadech solemn; his mood was almost depressed. Kiet, on the other hand, became bolder with alcohol. Smirking at her, he said, "You'd probably wonder why two good looking men like us are single, huh?"

Urassaya's eyes widened. Were they...?

"My friend here," his words slurred as he pointed to Nadech, "is too busy to waste time chasing skirts."

Urassaya sighed. Good, they weren't gay.

Kiet continued, "He has too many responsibilities."

Nadech shrugged as he drank another cup. "No one's interested me." Although he was drinking half the amount of Kiet’s, he seemed to be more influenced by the alcohol.

Kiet laughed. "I fear he may be alone for the rest of his life. But no worries, it seems his problem will be solved soon." Nadech frowned, but he didn't elaborate on what Kiet had said. Nadech turned to his liquor.

"What about you?" Urassaya asked Kiet. "Anyone special waiting for you at home?"

"I have a long list," Kiet boasted, grinning as he straightened his shoulders and sit up higher on his bench.

"Yes, a handsome man like you has to be a heartbreaker," Urassaya teased.

Kiet leaned over, his eyes scrutinizing her closely. “Are you sure you’re not a woman?” Kiet asked, chuckling at his own comment. Urassaya realized her joke might have given herself away. But Kiet's next comment soon relieved her, “You’re too pretty to be a boy.”

Urassaya frowned. “I am a male,” she said sternly. “And when I reach my prime, I will prove that I am capable. I am as good as any other man.”

“Why would you need to prove yourself?” This came from Nadech. He had contributed so little to the conversation; Urassaya didn’t think he was paying any attention.

“Personal battle of mine,” Urassaya explained.

“Anyone you need to prove yourself to is not deserving of you.”

Urassaya argued, “Depends on who that person is.” Turning the conversation around, Urassaya said in a bright voice, “Here, let me order another bottle for us. You both have high tolerance for good liquor.”

“No,” Nadech reached over and restrained Urassaya’s hand as she was about to signal for the hostess. “One bottle is enough. We should probably stop now while we still have our wits with us.” He turned to Kiet. “I think this is a good time for you to return. I want you to send a message home.”

“Yes, sir…Nadech.” Urassaya didn’t miss the formal way Kiet had addressed Nadech.

“Let everyone know that I am halfway to my destination. You can catch up to me once you deliver the message.”

“Is that wise? I should accompany you for the whole journey.”

“I will be fine.”

“Is this what you really want?”

“Yes, it is.”

“But I want to finish this liquor.”

“Be on your way,” Nadech said, shooing Kiet away. “You’ve drunk double me. You need a clear mind to travel back.” Nadech reached inside one of his shirt pocket and pulled out a small pouch. “Take this, it should cover all your expenses.”

Urassaya watched the exchange in silence. She couldn’t believe her luck. At first she was worried she would have to deal with both men. But as though the fates heard her prayers, Kiet was sent away. Everything was working right into her hands.

“I have Ya here to help me navigate this town,” Nadech reassured as Kiet turned to give Nadech a doubtful expression At the mention of Urassaya’s name, Nadech gave her a pat on the shoulder. Urassaya tried not to cringe at his overly enthusiastic pat.

“If you insist…” Kiet said, standing up. He gathered his satchel. Taking one last swig of his alcohol, he carried his bag and left the room.

Urassaya turned to Nadech, who had his attention focused on his cup again. “Where are you traveling to?” Urassaya asked. She hoped they were going opposite directions, so she wouldn’t have to risk running into him ever again.

“Towards Piyabutr.”

“Piyabutr?” Urassaya echoed, trying to keep her voice neutral, although her heart was pounding. “What for?”

He shrugged. “Unimportant business that needs my attention.”

It was good he was going the direction opposite hers, but Urassaya was curious about what business he had in Piyabutr. However, she must remain uninterested to avoid raising any suspicion, so she kept quiet.

“Where are you going?” Nadech asked her.

“Me?”

He looked at her and smiled. His eyes were bloodshot and there was a goofy grin on his face. Urassaya knew he was going to lose consciousness soon. “Yes, you. Do you see anyone else here with us?”

“I’m…I’m heading North. I’m not sure exactly where yet.” That was one of the first truth she had spoken in days.

Urassaya raised her hand, signaling for another bottle. Nadech was becoming oblivious to his surrounding that he didn’t notice when the second bottle arrived. Urassaya poured two cups for Nadech. His speech became slurred, his words nonsensical. She was only half listening to him as she skimmed the room. As the sun began setting, the room started to clear as the remaining occupants headed home. Nestled at the far corner, there was enough darkness to shadow their table.

When he finally dropped onto the tabletop, Urassaya leaned in closer. “Nadech?” she whispered, shaking his shoulder. “Nadech?” Still, there was no response. She shook him harder. “Nadech, wake up.”

He didn’t budge. Urassaya stood up and hovered over him. Leaning down, she wrapped her arms around him and pretended to help raise him up. At the same time, her hands searched his pockets.

Urassaya located a heavy object in his right pocket. She grabbed the silk pouch and dropped it into her own pocket. “I apologize for what I’m about to do,” she whispered as she dropped him back onto the bench. His body hung loosely over the table. His eyes were closed, his face relaxed. He had long lashes that rested against white cheeks. He looked so innocent. To make it worse, Urassaya also knew he was a truly kind person. That only made her plans harder to execute. “I promise I will repay you tenfold if we ever cross path again.”

She stood up and walked to the front door. Making sure no one was watching her, Urassaya stepped outside. Out of habit, Urassaya studied her surrounding first before she took her next step. Her progress was stopped short when she noticed a group of men down the main road. They were noticeable on horseback, delineating them from the rest of the villagers that walked on foot. Everyone seemed to step back, making room for the group of men.

Urassaya recognized a few familiar faces. But even without seeing any faces, she would have known whose men they belonged to due to their identical uniform.

Quickly, Urassaya ducked inside the tavern and ran head-on against a hard chest.

“Whoa, gentle there.”

Urassaya backed away and saw Nadech standing behind her. “Where are we going now?” he asked, his eyes fighting to stay open. Urassaya was surprised he had managed to follow her across the room without tripping over any of the benches and tables.

“I was just checking the weather,” Urassaya fabricated. “It will turn dark soon. Perhaps we should stay here for the night.”

He grinned. “That sounds like a brilliant idea. Where will we stay?”

“There are rooms here—”

Before Urassaya could finish her statement, Nadech slumped against the wall.

“Careful there!” Urassaya exclaimed, reaching over. She put his arm around her shoulder and slipped her arms around his waist. “Why are you so heavy?” Urassaya muttered, already feeling breathless from the exertion, although they had barely taken three steps.

“Madam!” Urassaya called out. “Madam!”

“Yes, sir?” Mother Buppha appeared from the kitchen.

“Do you have any spare rooms? My friend here needs to rest.”

“Spare room? Yes, yes, as a matter of fact, I have plenty. Come, let me show you.”

Mother Buppha tried to help Urassaya as she wrapped an arm around Nadech’s limp body. They exited the back door and walked outside. “Turn left,” Mother Buppha instructed.

The second building had a short hallway with two rooms on each side. They walked into the first room. It was dark, except for the moonlight that filtered through from the only window. “I’ll go fetch a lantern.”

After they dropped Nadech onto the single bed, Mother Buppha left the room. Urassaya turned around and studied the area. The room was sparse with one bed to the left and a basin at the right corner. It was quiet until Urassaya heard deep, male voices from outside. Creeping to the window, she peeked outside. The men in uniform intercepted Mother Buppha as she came out from the tavern and headed towards Urassaya’s room.

Urassaya wasn’t sure what they asked her, but she could hear Mother Buppha saying, “No, there’s only two men staying in one of the guest rooms. Business is slow right now.”

After a few more questions, the group of men turned back and left.

Urassaya heard Mother Buppha approaching her room. Urassaya opened the door before Mother Buppha could knock. “Thank you,” Urassaya said, grateful to see the men have left. “You have some guests?” she asked, nonchalant.

Mother Buppha shook her head. “They are looking for someone but I told them there’s only you and your friend.”

“Who are they looking for?”

“A young girl they say, about eighteen, tall and slim.”

“Well, between this kingdom and the next, I’m sure there are hundreds of ladies matching that description.”

Mother Buppha laughed. “That’s what I said too. But apparently they didn’t appreciate my humor.” She handed Urassaya two towels. “Is there anything else I can get you?”

“We should be good. Thank you so much.”

After Mother Buppha left, Urassaya turned to the unconscious body on the bed. Urassaya took a deep breath. She had originally planned to leave Nadech here and run. But now Urassaya felt the demands of the whole day finally weighing on her. She was tired from running from the contrabands and now she had another problem to worry about. She couldn’t believe those uniformed men would catch up to her so quickly. Urassaya decided she was probably safer spending the night in this room rather than roaming the dark road. And if she was going to pay for the room, she might as well make use of it. She will make sure she was up and gone before Nadech arouses.

Urassaya walked to the bed. Kneeling down, she took off his shoes. He would probably have a pounding headache when he wakes up and Urassaya was to blame. The least she could do was make his sleep as comfortable as possible. She reached over and pulled one of the blankets over him. Using the spare blanket, she covered the floor and lay down.

Urassaya turned away from the bed. She reached inside her pocket and withdrew the pouch she took from Nadech. Weighing it with her hand, she noted it was quite heavy. Urassaya undid the strings and poured the content into the palm of her hand.

It was a gold bracelet embedded with blue sapphires. Raising the bracelet at an angle, Urassaya watched as the gem sparkled, seeming to wink at her. She bit her lower lip as she fingered the exquisite jewelry. Urassaya knew it was expensive, probably priceless.

She placed the bracelet back into the pouch and turned to face the bed. In the dark, she could barely make out Nadech’s outline, but she knew he was there, oblivious to his surrounding, putting all his trust in a stranger he had just rescued.

“Why do you have to be so…nice?” she asked, almost accusing.

Urassaya’s hand clenched the pouch tighter. It was still not too late to give it back to him. He didn’t even have to know what she had intended to do.

However, as Urassaya recalled the group of men in their gold and maroon uniform, she knew she couldn’t afford to give Nadech back his bracelet. Resolved, she placed the pouch back into her pocket.

♦♦♦♦

The warmth of sunlight pouring through the window woke Urassaya up. Frowning, she opened her eyes. The sun was too bright, which meant she had overslept. Quickly, she sat up and turned to the bed. She breathed a sigh of relief when she saw that Nadech was still in a deep slumber.

His blanket was askew and one of his arms hung uncomfortably over the edge of the small cot. Urassaya tiptoed over to him and placed his arm across his chest. He groaned, frowning as though he was in pain.

Urassaya stilled.

She waited until she was certain he was still asleep. Then she reached over the bed and covered him with his blanket. Using the basin, Urassaya quickly washed up.

With one last glance at Nadech, she shut the door behind her and walked back to the main building.

“Good morning,” Mother Buppha greeted her.

“Good morning,” Urassaya replied, although her tone was somber. She reached inside her pocket, where she kept her emergency fund, and handed the madam some coins. “Keep the change,” Urassaya said.

She took two steps forward, intending to leave. Then Urassaya stopped and turned back to the madam. “My friend is still sleeping; he drank too much last night. When he wakes up, can you send him a hot bowl of rice soup and a cup of herbal tea?”

Mother Buppha smiled. “Of course. That’s very thoughtful of you.”

Her compliment made Urassaya cringed. She didn’t deserve the praise. With a curt nod, Urassaya left the tavern. Urassaya decided she still had some time to buy supplies before she leave. She was certain Nadech will not be feeling well enough to wake up any time soon.

The town was already bustling with activity as Urassaya walked along the main road. Carts and booths lined both sides of the road, filled with crafts and produces. The road was filled with merchants, both local and from afar, actively bartering and trading.

As Urassaya walked from one booth to another, she suddenly felt the hairs on her neck rise. Quickly, she swirled around and searched the area behind her.

No familiar faces.

Frowning, Urassaya walked on.

Three stalls later, she had the same nagging feeling that she was being watched. Her senses on full alert, Urassaya knew she had better get back to the tavern for her horse and leave as soon as possible.

Urassaya quickened her footsteps and tried to blend with the shoppers. The dull colors of her clothes made it easy. Pulling her headgear tighter to cover her face, Urassaya lowered her head. She made a sharp turn and ran into the back of the booths. There was an alley; dark and deserted.

Opting for subtlety, Urassaya tried to steady her heart by taking deep, calming breaths. That didn’t work. Her heart was pounding so loud; she missed the approaching footsteps behind her. Before Urassaya could comprehend what was happening, a hand rested on her shoulder. A voice she was beginning to grow familiar to softly whispered, “I think you have something that belongs to me, boy.”

kry*star

sarNie Adult
How could you just leave us hanging!? :rant: :cry:
j/k, please update soon, it's getting really good :woot2:

Vimalee

Live Love Laugh
Thanks so much for the weekend treat! Khob khoon mark kha or khob jai lai lai dur for the awesome update!

I could see/imagine the setting, scenery, and the characters vividly while reading the story. Your writing is great.

Keep up the good work and I'll be here to support you.

Happy writing and I'll be happy reading!

cookiies

sarNie Juvenile
Just finish reading the first 2 chapters and i already love it. Thank u so much for this wonderful ff and i can wait for more.

zazoured

sarNie Juvenile
Thank you so much for this great update ! I am so curious about Urassaya now . She is hiding and running away but from who and why ? She seems to be stealing from Nadech by necessity and for her survival ... So many questions !... Anyway, looks like Nadech has catch up with her lol.

Don't worry about writting long chapters , now that I am addicted to your story , the chapters are never going to be long enough for me ! Haha !...

Miss Bouakham

sarNie Hatchling
kry*star – lol, I love ending on cliffhangers. Gotta warn you there will be more chapters like that ;-)

Vimalee – I’m glad you can visualize the story. Here’s another weekend update =))

cookiies – Thank you for reading and for your support <3 I hope you will enjoy chapter three as well^^

zazoured – I love your questions! Hopefully they will be answered one by one :)

C H A P T E R ♦ 03

“I think you have something that belongs to me, boy.”

At the sound of Nadech’s voice, Urassaya panicked. He was not supposed to be awake yet!

However, instead of confronting him, Urassaya grabbed his arm on her left shoulder. Pulling his arm forward, she used her elbow to throw him a back punch. At his grunt of surprise, Urassaya was set free and she ran off.

“You…!”

Not daring to look behind to see how close he was, Urassaya’s only goal was to get as far away as possible from there. She had come this far, it was too late to undo what she had done. The cluttered alley impeded her progress as she tried to jump over jars and avoid the crates stacked in tall columns. The sound of her heartbeat and heavy breathing was all she heard. Her surrounding was a blurry haze as she ran forward. Her eyes were only focused on the road in front of her.

“Stop!”

She heard his voice again and knew he was closing in on her.

Urassaya grabbed a jar and threw it behind her, not bothering to see if she had hit her target. She could hear the loud crash of pottery as she continued on.

Suddenly, Urassaya cried out when a pair of strong hands grabbed her arms. On the defense, Urassaya threw out blind punches and kicks. She didn’t care where she hit him as long as she injured him.

“You brat…” His words were ragged as he fought to avoid her fists and kicks. “Calm down! I won’t hurt you!”

Urassaya’s attack only became more frenzied.

“Why…are you so…strong?”

He wrapped his arms around her in an attempt to subdue her. Urassaya gasped when his arms brushed against her chest. As the realization dawn on him, he froze. His astonishment gave Urassaya the chance to strike back. Using all her weight, she pushed him.

That was a mistake, Urassaya soon realized. With his arms still wrapped around her, she fell backwards with him, her back landing on top of his front. “Let go!” she shouted, biting his hand.

“Ouch!” He immediately released her.

Urassaya tried to scramble away. She didn’t know exactly when it happened, but somewhere between her struggles, Urassaya’s headgear became undone. As the checkered cloth fell onto the ground, Urassaya’s long mane of hair came undone. A dry gust of wind brushed over them, forcing her long tresses to sweep across his face. She sat up and turned around. Urassaya saw pure shock written all over his face.

The realization was more forceful than any punches could have delivered.

Nadech’s momentary distraction was the perfect opportunity for Urassaya. Springing from her kneeling position, she pushed a column of boxes between them, obstructing his way, and then she set off again. Urassaya decided that she needed the busy market street as a barrier between her and Nadech. At her first opportunity, she turned away from the alley and entered the center of the lively market. Urassaya could hear him calling after her, but she ignored him.

Some curious faces turned to her but Urassaya ducked away and concentrated solely on reaching the tavern. As the building came into view, Urassaya ran as though her life depended on it.

Which it probably did.

She reached the post in the front and hurriedly untied her horse.

Again, the hairs on her back raised as Urassaya realized that it was suddenly too quiet. Even her thundering heart sounded mute compared to the chill that traveled down her spine. Risking a glance upwards, she saw as the same group of uniformed men approached her. They began circling around her, leaving her no room to run.

“You must return with us,” the leader declared, his face grim.

It was then that Urassaya realized her hair was loose, giving away her identity. Running from Nadech in the middle of the market also gave her unwanted attention.

She didn’t have time to make a decision. The neighing of a wild horse made the group of horses surrounding her wary. The animals shifted their weight from one side to the other, their ears perked. A loud commotion appeared from the left and astounded shouts followed. The men surrounding her soon divided as a mad horseman rode straight for them.

Urassaya didn’t have a chance to consider her action when she realized the mad horseman was none other than Nadech himself. She saw the determination in his eyes and understood his intent. Without a second thought, he rode by and leaned down, grabbing her by the waist. Urassaya clung onto him for dear life.

♦♦♦♦

Urassaya didn’t know how long they rode, or how far they went. At the speed they were going, it felt as though they had traveled halfway around the globe. Sitting astride Nadech, her only concern at the moment was to avoid the branches that whipped them as they thundered through the forest.

The hoof beats following behind them soon became a faint echo. Nadech set a maddening pace that was hard to follow. His equestrian skill was apparently superb. Finally, when he felt it was safe to stop, Nadech urged the horse to slow down.

Now came the difficult part.

Urassaya didn’t know if it was smart or simply foolhardy of her to run from one enemy and place herself in the hands of another. Nadech was not an ally; his feelings for her were probably not too friendly at the moment, especially after he discovered she had robbed him.

A moment of silence ensued. She was curious what was on his mind but she didn’t dare ask. She didn’t think she wanted to know. Urassaya had a few weapons on her body; she knew she would fight him if she had to. Her only concern was that she had no horse and could probably not run far unless she did him bodily harm.

“A few questions.” He finally broke the silence. Since her back was turned to him, she couldn’t see his face, she couldn’t decipher his mood. “Who are those men?”

“I don’t know.”

“It certainly seemed as though they recognize you.”

“That’s not my problem, is it? I don’t know them.”

More silence.

Urassaya hoped he would drop the subject of those uniformed men. If she wasn’t incline to give an answer, a person could ask her until they were blue in the face, Urassaya would still never offer the truth.

“Very well. I will not meddle in your business.”

“That’s wise of you.”

“However, you have something of mine. I want it back.”

“You misunderstand.” Urassaya turned her torso so she could see his face. She noticed his sharp intake of breath. For a moment, he seemed stun at the sight of her. Urassaya frowned at him, confused by his reaction to her. “I don’t have anything of yours.”

He shook his head, as though to ward off whatever spell he was under. With a serious expression, he asked, “You’re certain about that?”

“Yes.”

“I’m giving you a chance to redeem yourself.”

Her voice firm, Urassaya repeated, “I don’t have it.”

“I had it before I drank with you. Now, this morning, it was gone. You seem like a smart woman,” he drawled the last word. “Put two and two together. What do you think happened to my possession?”

“How would I know?”

“If you won’t hand it over, as a decent person would, I will have to physically search you.”

“What?”

Urassaya’s eyes widened as his hands released the reins and he reached for her.

“Okay, okay!” Urassaya shouted. “I have it!”

He gave her his opened palm. “Give it back, please.”

“You have to close your eyes.”

“So you can make well your escape?” He shook his head, his face grim. “I don’t like being made the fool twice.”

Urassaya studied his face. He had every right to be angry with her, to be insulted by her manipulation of his trust. And yet he appeared so calm and composed.

“I won’t run off.” As an afterthought, Urassaya added, “I promise.”

“Would it be smart of me now to believe your promise?” he challenged.

Urassaya cringed. She resented him for making her feel like a misbehaving child who was being disciplined. He wasn’t her father.

“I know I’m asking a lot but I understand I’m in a bind right now. It would be useless of me to try to flee. I have no means of escape. It’s just that…” Urassaya looked away, too embarrassed to meet his eyes. “I hid the jewelry well and I don’t want you looking as I retrieve it.”

She could feel his dark eyes on her, perusing her. Biting her lower lip, Urassaya waited for his answer, her anxiety building as he dragged the silence longer. Finally, he nodded. “Fine, but be quick about it.”

From the corner of her eyes, she watched as he closed his eyes. As Urassaya retrieved the pouch from one of her hidden pockets, she couldn’t help the smile that crept onto her lips. She turned to him and watched his motionless stance.

“Well? Are you done yet?”

“W—what?”

“Are you done retrieving my belonging?”

“Yes,” she quickly said. For a second there, Urassaya had thought he was referring to her staring at him. Nadech opened his eyes and she turned away, feeling ashamed for peeking at him. “Here.”

He took the pouch from her and undid the strings. He pulled out the bracelet and studied the jewelry. Tenderly, he caressed the sapphires. “Thank you,” he said.

“Why would you thank me? I’m giving you back what I stole.” Urassaya didn’t know how he did it, but he made her feel like the lowest scum to walk the face of earth. And he wasn’t even trying. She supposed a kind word was more potent than a rebuke.

“Now, may I go?”

“No.”

“No?” Urassaya drew back, panicking at his resolute answer.

“No,” he repeated.

She became angry. “What right do you have to hold me prisoner?”

He raised a brow. “I didn’t know I have a prisoner in tow.”

“You are refusing to release me. If that’s not a prisoner, I don’t know what is.”

“I was raised a chivalrous man.”

“Good for you. Now how does that concern me?”

He leaned closer to her. Urassaya tried to back away, but her attempt was futile. Between Nadech and the horse, there was not much room for her. His dark eyes pierced right through her, sincere and guileless. “You are a young woman, helpless in these woods. I refuse to let you wander alone.”

She pushed him away. He was much too close. Urassaya scowled at him, trying to hide the fleeting pause in her heartbeat. He had been so close; she could feel the warmth of his breath against her skin. “I don’t recall asking for your help. I’m no damsel in distress.”

“No? Somehow I recall rescuing you from a group of bullies. Twice, as a matter of fact.”

He made a good point, but Urassaya refused to give in. “I can certainly take care of myself. I’ve been doing it all my life, and it seems I’m doing a fine job of it too. Look, I still have my two arms and two legs attached to me.” As though to prove her argument, she wiggled her foot and waved her hands in front of his face.

Urassaya turned to him with an impish grin. Her smile wavered when she noticed the quiet, intent way he was studying her. “W—what?” she stuttered, wiping her face. “Is there something on me?”

“No. I was just agreeing with what you said. I can see you still have your eyes,” he brushed her brow, “your nose,” he tapped the tip of her nose, “and your lips…”

She held her breath as his finger hovered over her lips.

He quickly removed his hand. “Everything’s all intact. You must have taken care of yourself well.”

“Yes, I have.” Urassaya cleared her throat, her face suddenly feeling hot on the spots he had touched. “Anyway, we are going opposite directions,” Urassaya continued her argument. “You’re going south and I’m going north, so save yourself some time and let me be.”

He shook his head. “My father raised me a better man than that. I cannot watch you walk away, knowing you are in danger.”

“I can take care of myself.” Urassaya was beginning to become frustrated.

“I’ve already told you my thoughts on that. We’re merely going in circles.”

“You can’t just follow me.”

“I can be very stubborn once my mind is made up.”

“That makes two of us,” Urassaya argued, folding her arms across her chest and glowering at him.

“Someone has to give in then.”

“Not me.”

“Not me either,” he declared.

Urassaya was beginning to grow irritated at his insistence. What was his motive? Any human with common sense would have rid of Urassaya by now.

“It grows dark now, and I’m famished,” he said. “Chasing you all day had just about replete my store of energy. I need to recharge.”

Urassaya had to agree with him. The sun was setting soon. Without a horse, she was not safe by herself in the woods. Perhaps it would be to her advantage to let him stay for one more night. “I’m hungry too,” she answered.

“Then we must go search for supper.” Wrapping his arms around her, he grabbed the reins and urged the horse forward.

♦♦♦♦

As night drew closer, Nadech chose a place near the river for them to set up camp. The growth of trees there was less dense, allowing for more moonlight to shine through. Once they both dismounted, Nadech set his satchel on the ground and led his horse to the water.

When he returned, he saw that Urassaya had spread out his sheets. A small fire was burning in the center of the campsite. She turned around at his approach. “I…I went through your satchel.” As an afterthought, she added, “I hope you don’t mind.”

At the sight of her insecurity, Nadech felt something tugged at his heart. She reminded him of a child who constantly needed approval.

“I don’t mind. I trust you. Besides, if we’re going to be travel companions, we must learn to share.”

She frowned and Nadech noted the way her brows formed a “V” and how her pert nose scrunched upwards. “Wait a minute, I never said we—”

“It’s too dark to hunt,” Nadech interrupted, swaying her thought away from their current disagreement. No matter what her thoughts were, this was one argument he was going to win. “I have some jerky. I hope it’s okay for tonight?”

“Of course it is. I’m not picky. Like a man, I’m used to the wilderness. I’m just as capable as you are.”

“Yes, you are very capable. But why can’t you be capable as a woman?” he asked. “Why do you want to be a man? We’re not that great, you know.”

“I’m not saying you guys are great.”

“Really? It seemed as though you think women are inferior to men.”

“I’m a woman, why would I think that?”

Nadech smiled to himself. Somehow, he enjoyed seeing her all riled up. “You tell me, since you’re always the one demanding to be as good as a man.” He pointed out, “Your words, not mine.”

“Do you always have to remember everything I say?”

“I thought women like when we listen to you?” He slapped his forehead. “Oh, right, but you want to be a man.”

She rolled her eyes at him. “I don’t want you to remember what I say if you’re going to use my words against me.”

“Ah, so you only want me to remember when it’s to your advantage?”

She gave him a haughty look, “Of course.”

Nadech chuckled as she walked away, tossing her head so that her hair would slap him in the face. “Now where’s this jerky you’ve been talking about? Breathing air is not helping with my hunger, you know.”

He gave her a salute. “Yes, ma’am!”

He found the jerky in his satchel. After they ate, Nadech lay down on one side of the fire as she lay on the other side. They were both turned to their sides so that they faced each other. “Tired?” he asked.

“Not really. I had a surprisingly good sleep last night.”

“I would have thought your guilt would have plagued you all night,” he teased.

“Surprisingly, no. I guess I must have been too tired. I overslept this morning too. Or else…”

When she left her statement trailing, Nadech replied, “Or else you would have been long gone before I woke, wouldn’t you?”

“Yes.” Her answer was honest, but solemn.

“Then I must thank Mother Buppha for delivering the soup and herb when she did. Not only did that help me find you in time, but it also relieved the bloody headache I woke up with.”

Her face flushed a bright red, which he found endearing. “About that…it seems I owe you an apology.”

Nadech shrugged. “No great harm was done. Although I do wonder, if I hadn’t woken up when I did, how would you have avoided those men?”

“They wouldn’t have recognized me if I was under disguise. I still blame you for that, you know.”

“Ah, so it’s not that you want to be a man so badly. It’s just that you’re in hiding.”

“I’m not hiding. I just don’t want to be found.”

“Same difference.”

She turned away and rolled onto her back, staring at the stars. Nadech studied her, curious about this complex stranger who seemed so brave but was obviously running away from something. Or someone.

“Is your name really Ya?” he asked.

He could see her hesitation, as she fought an inner battle. Finally, she answered, “People close to me call me Yaya.”

“Then…may I call you Yaya?”

He saw her hesitation again and he longed to reach over and tell her to put more trust in humanity. There was nothing to be afraid, no reason to hide. Instead, he waited patiently for her answer.

Finally, she nodded once. “Yes, you may.”

Then she turned to her side, turning her back to him.

zazoured

sarNie Juvenile
Nadech is such a gentleman , helping Yaya from that group of guys and wanting to keep an eye on her afterwards even if she did wrong by him . Love how their relationship is developing ! Yaya 's ID has been revealed but she still very much a mystery .... I like how proud and brave she is , but underneath , you can feel her vulnerability and fear . They both seemed to have felt some sparks already ....
Thank you very much for this great chapter !...Cannot wait for chapter 4 ! 

Miss Bouakham

sarNie Hatchling
Hello dear readers! Sorry for the long wait, I've been busy. I hope I will be able to get the next chapter out sooner. Anyways, I'm kind of short on time right now, so no replies for this update. I will with my next update. I promise the plot will pick up in the next couple chapters. Hang in there! ;) Thank you so much for all your support <3

C H A P T E R ♦ 04

Nadech woke up early the next morning. The fire from the night before was dead, leaving a pile of burnt logs and gray ashes. He turned to his side and raised his upper body with his elbow as he supported his chin with his palm. He watched as Yaya laid there, deep in sleep. He noticed the gentle rise of her chest as she curled in a fetal position, her hands tucked under her head like a pillow.

Her long hair spilled over her shoulders. He recalled the scene behind the alley, when her headgear had come undone. He could still smell the scent of jasmine and gardenias in her hair. Now, as he watched her, he felt his fingers itching to reach over and bury themselves in her long tresses, just to see if they were as soft as he remembered it when her hair had swept against his face. He wanted to find out if he had just imagined the jasmine and gardenias.

With her asleep, oblivious to the world, she resembled an innocent child. Her tough façade was gone, reminding him of how gullible she really was. Despite her insistence that she was a grown, independent woman, he knew she was young and probably more inexperienced than she led people to believe. He wondered what drove her to be so cynical, to crave adulthood and the responsibilities that came with it. Nadech himself never wanted to grow up. He wanted to be a child forever, to live life for the moment, to carry no duties. He wanted to be able to run away like Yaya and live only for the moment, to have no guilt for what he would leave behind if he could have it his way.

When she stirred, Nadech quickly stood up. He should make his time productive and find breakfast. As he took a few steps away from the campsite, he stopped and turned around to watch her sleeping figure.

Nadech knew he shouldn’t be stalling his time; he had to get to Piyabutr. But for some reason, he felt it was right for him to stay there with Yaya. He just couldn’t get himself to leave her alone in the forest. Plus, he really didn’t have a deadline, what was a few more stalled days?

♦♦♦♦

When Nadech returned, he saw that Yaya had cleared the camp. A fire was built, the burning twigs making a soft popping sound. Nadech didn’t realize he had been holding his breath until he blurted out, “You’re still here.”

She turned to him and smiled. He almost tripped over a hidden root.

“Why would I leave? It would be foolhardy of me to walk to the next village when there’s a perfectly capable horse available.” She motioned at Paibool, who was tied to a nearby tree, grazing on anything that was edible. “You did offer to take me, didn’t you?”

Yes, he did. And much more.

“Look what I got,” Nadech said, holding up two rabbits with its hind legs bound together.

“Food!” Yaya exclaimed, clasping her hands together. “The fire’s ready and good to go.”

He couldn’t help smiling at her enthusiastic response. Nodding proudly, he said, “So it seems.”

“May I take a look?” She turned wide eyes to him.

Nadech knelt down next to her and undid the bind. He displayed the rabbits in front of her. “I like to skin them first then remove the organs after.”

“Can I help too?”

He was surprised. “You know how?”

“I know how to make a fire, don’t I? Surely I should know how to skin an animal.” Smirking at him, she pointed out, “As a matter of fact, there are many things about me you don’t know.”

“Whose fault is that?” Nadech teased. He would love to learn more about her, if only she wasn’t so secretive. “Trying to get you to talk is like interrogating a spy.”

She laughed, but offered no defense.

“Anyway, how did you become so competent?” he asked, watching as she began skinning one rabbit. Her ease was proof that this was not her first time.

“I have a good friend,” she confessed. “My friend taught me how to survive the wilderness.”

He gave her an exaggerated look of surprise. “You? Have friends? I thought ‘self-sufficient Yaya’ doesn’t need anyone. This is news.”

At her giggle, Nadech realized it was easy to amuse her. Despite the mystery surrounding her, he decided she really was just a simple girl. And he also decided that he wanted to make her laugh more. Every time she did, the effect seemed to shoot straight to his chest and he always felt the uncontrollable urge to laugh with her.

♦♦♦♦

“Ah, civilization at last,” Urassaya declared as they neared the next village. Nadech had suggested she continue her male disguise since it would be safer for their travels. Before they left the campsite that morning, Urassaya had tied her hair again and put on her headgear.

“Very handsome,” he had said, making her blush, although she didn’t know why she did.

Now, as they entered the village, they both dismounted and walked on foot as Nadech led the horse by its reins.

“We should eat at the tavern.”

Nadech frowned. “I don’t know why you like to go there. It’s not proper for a woman.”

“That’s okay, I’m not a woman, remember?”

“To the world, you’re not. But to me, you are.”

“And I trust you to keep my secret.”

“It doesn’t matter what other people think, but I feel guilty taking you to such places.”

With her hands on her hips, she scowled at him. “Whether you go with me or not, I’ll still go.”

He sighed.

“Come on, it’s so much fun!” Urassaya laughed. “And it’s harmless, really. Plus, at this time of the day, it shouldn’t be too crowded.”

“You’re right, I can’t stop you.”

“Nope, you can’t.”

“Might as well,” he muttered as Urassaya led them forward.

They located the tavern easily enough, and to Urassaya’s surprise, it was almost full, brimming with loud voices and laughter.

“You said it wouldn’t be crowded,” Nadech accused.

“Oh, don’t be so prissy. Look, there are still a few empty tables.” A few meant one, but Urassaya was glad he didn’t point that out.

As they made their way through the tavern, Urassaya noticed that unlike the ones she had gone to, this one had busty servers who sat on the men’s lap or didn’t mind a pinch here and there as they sashayed away. Urassaya stared, wide-eyed.

“Come,” Nadech said in a gruff tone as he turned her away. Once they reached the empty table, Urassaya noticed that he purposely pulled out the chair facing the wall for her. She knew he had good intentions, but if she really wanted to stare, a wall wouldn’t stop her. However, Urassaya found his protectiveness to be quite charming.

At a nearby table, three men were recounting their conquests from the night before, using colorful choice words. “My mother would have my ears boxed for this,” Nadech muttered.

Urassaya shook her head. “You’re such a prude.”

“Hello handsome,” a woman approached them, slithering her body against Nadech with her arm slung around his shoulder. She was meaty, with a neckline cut too low and her breasts threatening to spill out. “What can I get you?”

He looked so startled, Urassaya wanted to laugh. He quickly drew back and removed the server’s arms from his shoulder. “Water is fine.”

She looked disappointed, but said nothing. She turned to Urassaya. “How about you, young chap?”

“Water too, please. And some appetizers.”

“Don’t you realize this is a tavern?” she muttered as she sauntered away.

“I bet she wanted you drunk,” Urassaya teased.

Nadech scowled at her. “I tend to learn from all my life experiences and never repeat the same mistake twice.”

“Oh, I won’t let her take advantage of you,” Urassaya said, grinning.

“Only you can?”

“Yes.”

He tsk-tsked. “You are shameless.”

“I try.”

Urassaya turned around and studied the room. She wondered why there were so many men at this time of day. Usually in all the villages she visited, the men were on the field until nighttime. Taverns were empty until dusk arrived. She turned back to Nadech. At his constipated appearance, Urassaya reached over and grabbed his hand. “Relax!” she shouted over the noise.

He gave her a thumbs-up, but his body was still tense. Urassaya shook her head, amused by him. Soon, their drink and food arrived. A cool sip of water seemed to help ease his mind. Urassaya noticed as his shoulders began to loosen. She couldn’t believe this composed man who took on a group of contrabands with a blink of the eye was so squeamish in a rowdy tavern. Guiltily, she knew he was concerned more for her benefit than his.

Halfway through their meal, a burly man staggered past their table. In his drunken stupor, he tripped and fell against Urassaya. Her cup of water splattered over the table and onto her pants. “My apologies, young chap,” the man said, giving Urassaya a rough pat on her shoulder.

Nadech stood up, his hand on the hilt of his sword.

“It’s okay,” Urassaya quickly said, not the least bit insulted by the incident. She knew accidents like this were expected in a room full of drunkards. “Nadech, it’s okay. I’m fine. Look.”

He studied her, his face serious as he conducted a thorough inspection of her.

“Here, let me make it up to you,” the big man said. Grabbing Urassaya’s hand, he led her towards the fireplace.

Nadech was about to intercept but Urassaya turned to him and smiled. “I’ll be fine,” she said, and gave him a thumbs-up.

In a loud voice, the man announced, “Everyone, listen up! It’s near our noontime choir. This young man here has been chosen to be our lead today!”

Urassaya laughed. She loved singing! She had recently discovered, through her travels between villages, how much she enjoyed singing.

“Now, young man, what will it be?”

Urassaya turned to the crowd. She couldn’t believe the silence in the room. Instead of feeling daunted by all the attention, she was emboldened by it. She had never received such austere dedication. To the far right, she saw Nadech, his pose defensive, ready to rescue her if need be. She wished he would only realize that there was no need to save her. She could handle this situation on her own.

Turning back to the crowd, Urassaya chose a folkloric song she had learned from one of the villages recently. Although she had only heard the song once, she sung it as though she had done it a million times before. Singing at the top of her lungs, she waved her arms, encouraging the audience to join in. Soon, everyone was singing along with her, their handclapping thundering throughout the room.

The man who had bumped into Urassaya earlier had one of his arms slung around her shoulder and the other hand held onto a bottle of liquor. He sung out of tune but he sang with such gusto that it didn’t matter. Slowly, both Urassaya and him swayed around the fireplace, where a black pot was brewing with that day’s special soup. They stopped in front of the fireplace and continued on with the song.

When the song ended, someone jumped right in with another song and the crowd cheered on. Three more songs were sung and although Urassaya could feel her throat getting dry, she was having too much fun to care. She didn’t want to ever stop.

What drew her attention, however, was the smell of smoke. She stopped her singing and wrinkled her nose, trying to figure where the smell was coming from.

“Fire!” someone shouted.

In the next instant, Urassaya was pulled away from the burly man and away from the fire. The only thing she remembered was thinking that her back felt too warm. She couldn’t register Nadech’s frantic movements from behind her.

“Your pant’s on fire!” someone shouted.

“Get his sleeve!” someone else chipped in.

Soon, Urassaya had too many helping hands trying to kill the flame on her clothes. Nadech turned her around, so that he covered her front. He held her close. “Are you alright?” he asked repeatedly.

Urassaya could only nod.

“That’s enough,” Nadech hollered.

The crowd backed away, confused by his tone of voice. Urassaya turned to face her audience. With a grin, she said, “I’ve been known to tell my share of lies.” Laughter broke in the room, melting away the tension. Urassaya looked up at Nadech. A faint smile was on his lips as he fought to give her a stern glare.

♦♦♦♦

“Is it bad?” Yaya asked.

They were now outside the tavern. Nadech walked behind her and studied the ruins of her clothes. “Mostly the back of your shirt,” he said. “Fortunately, the fire didn’t sear your skin. Nor did it ruin enough of your pants to reveal your bottom.”

She nodded. “Fortunately.”

“How fitting that your pants should get on fire,” Nadech teased. “I’ve never met anyone who lies so easily. It must be catching up to you.”

“Humph!” she gave him a sulking look.

He grinned. “Well, it seems we have to pay the seamstress a visit. You can’t walk around like this.”

“I can’t afford a pair of change right now. I should be fine.”

“Who said you’re paying?”

Not listening to her protests, Nadech pulled her hand and walked into the market. He entered the first store he saw. “Madam, a pair of clothes, please,” Nadech said.

“Your simplest one,” Yaya added.

“Certainly, certainly,” the petite woman said. Moving rapidly, she went to the back. Soon, she returned with a small bundle in her arms. “This looks like it’ll fit you,” she said, handing it to Yaya.

Yaya undid the bundle. Then she gasped, looking at the seamstress. “I think you gave me the wrong set. This is a skirt.”

She winked at them. “I don’t know why these silly men fall for it all the time but I was not convinced. More the fool they are. Come, a woman must not dress in boy clothes.”

“No—”

Nadech interrupted her protest, “I agree. Try that one on, Yaya.”

She frowned at him. “You were the one who suggested it was better if I dress this way.”

That was before Nadech realized that her disguise might hurt her more than it may actually help. After her little show in the tavern, he didn’t want to see another repeat performance. With Nadech as her guardian, men would stay away even if she was dressed as herself.

“Just try it on,” Nadech said as the seamstress urged Yaya into the back. “If you absolutely hate it, you don’t have to get it.”

As Yaya disappeared from his sight, he could still hear her arguing with the seamstress. He knew she wouldn’t give in without putting up a fight. But he wasn’t going to allow her to walk out of the store in boy clothing again. If she still wanted to visit taverns, she will go as a woman with him as her guardian. At least men would be more wary around her.

“She’s out,” the seamstress announced a short moment later.

Nadech turned around and watched as Yaya appeared. Her outfit was simple enough. The sarong was blue, with the hem embroidered with orange and red threads. She wore a matching buttoned shirt. The blue of her outfit seemed to bring out the hazel brown of her eyes, making her features even more delicate. Nadech suddenly found himself wondering how she would look if she were decked in jewelry and formal clothing, dressed as royalty. She was already breathtaking as is.

As she walked closer, he saw that her lower neckline revealed a mole at the center of her throat. He had not noticed that before. Her hair was braided, but wisps of loose tendrils escaped the tight braid.

Somewhere, at the back of his mind, he felt his guilt creeping on his conscience. Perhaps he had insisted she dressed in women clothing not for her safety but for his own self-interest. He would not allow her to dress as a boy again for the very simple fact that she was such a lovely sight in her sarong.

“We’ll take this one,” he declared.

“I don’t think…” she glanced at the seamstress.

“I’ll give you both some time to talk,” she said tactfully and walked to the back.

“It’s not safe for me to dress like this out in public,” Yaya whispered.

“You weren’t any safer dressed like a boy,” Nadech countered.

“Well for my own ease of mind, I feel safer as a boy.”

“Don’t worry, you have me here.”

“For how long?” she challenged.

For as long as you want, Nadech thought.

Instead, he said, “You’re a woman, it’s only appropriate for you to wear women clothing.”

“I can’t ride a horse like this.”

“Technically, you’re not riding the horse, I am. You’ve been sitting astride, I don’t see any problem with you continuing to sit astride even with a skirt.”

He watched as she appeared to be fighting an inner battle with herself. Finally, she gave in. “Alright, you win this time. But I’m keeping my boy clothes. When you tire of me and run off, at least I’ll have that as back-up.”

He knew she didn’t need to worry about that. Until she was guaranteed safety, he wasn’t going to leave her.

kry*star

sarNie Adult
Thanks for the update! Aww... Nadech is such a sweetheart, loving his character already :) I wonder when they'll reveal their identity :cry: Please update soon :woot2:

zazoured

sarNie Juvenile
Thank you for this great chapter !!! I have loved Yaya's performance in the tavern and the incident of her pants catching fire was absolutely hilarious !!! Lol.
I am loving the relationship developing between Yaya and Nadech and loved the fact that Nadech was insisting to buy Yaya a skirt so men don't get to familiar with her like when she is dressed as a boy .... But I also guess that Nadech wants to also see the woman that Yaya can be ! Looling forward to next chapter !!!