Should Hmong wear Hmong clothes to Hmong New Year?

kalaya

sarNie Egg
Mos_Koblover said:
well....i used to where hmong clothing but know that i got older i;m kinda embrassed!
[post="30829"][/post]​
y should u be embarrassed wearin hmong clothes? it's nothing to be ashamed unless u did somethim embarrasing...

moonfaerrie

sarNie Hatchling
also, last year, the Hmong people from my school decided to wear Hmong clothes for the international festival. it was the first time the hmong people did that at that school. every people who came to the festival commented on our clothes. after two hours, every other races went to put on their own clothes. i thought that was cool, we inspired some of them. lol. i think the hmong clothes are so beautiful, i was just too ashamed to wear them when i was younger because i hated being hmong. but like i said, now that i'm older, i feel more for what i really am instead of trying to be something else. love it.

lamour01

sarNie Egg
yea, it's up to the person if they want to wear it but for me, i like hmong clothes because they're so colourful and unique. i wear them like 2 or 3 times a year. the only thing i hate about it is that silver thing that goes around my neck. that thing always gives me a bump when i wear it. <_<

cecilia

Staff member
lamour01 said:
yea, it's up to the person if they want to wear it but for me, i like hmong clothes because they're so colourful and unique. i wear them like 2 or 3 times a year. the only thing i hate about it is that silver thing that goes around my neck. that thing always gives me a bump when i wear it. <_<
[post="31684"][/post]​

that..and the money bags..and the fact that if you don't have a hip..your parent wrapp this thing around your waist to make it look perfect..ouch..by the end of the day..you end up having rashes..lol...but i stop wearing it for one..i think i'm too old for it..beside nowaday ppl dont' wear it..make you feel left out..and fobby..if you're the one that wear... :mellow:

JaM

1TYM hwaiting!
^hahaha go out and be FOB-ish for that one day then! Actually, it doesn't really matter what others think. Be proud of who you are and let ppl know that you are "MODERN" too, like flash your ipod while wearing your Hmong clothes...lol... :D

critter9

sarNie Egg
:w000t: I'm excited to wear my Hmong clothes to our New Year this year! The way I see it, people who do not wear Hmong clothes and think they look cool in their "lookin' good" outfits are the ones who are soooooo uncool. hehehe... Anyway..I say..it's only once a year..JUST DO IT. My family and I already went New Year clothes shoppin this year. Can't wait! Bet you didn't know that there are new Hmong clothes that come out every year? and laotian and thai, too..

be beautiful...show off your hmongness.. :w000t:

rainie_vang

sarNie Juvenile
i think we totally should! I'm looking forward to wearing hmong clothes this year soooooo much! i loved hmong clothes so much because it represent our culture and all those stuff! especially this year! this year is the absolute best year ever... i'm looking forward to seeing someone there and to toss ball w/him too! :D :sweat:

Fearless

sarNie Adult
I used to wear it when I was younger but now I stopped wearing it. I think it's a person's decision if they want to wear it or not but just because they choose not to wear it doesn't mean that they value their culture any less than the people who does wear it.

FrozenPearl

sarNie Egg
YES, we should wear hmong clothese to Hmong New Year. That's why it's called "Hmong New Year" Nyob Zoo Xyooj Tshiab" nothing else. It's our culture, our language what our past generation has been doing for years or century so why not!

"a good life is your culture. Your language, your music, the ceremonies, the traditions, the dress. All of that is so vitally important that you must keep it alive. In fact it is the uniqueness of all of us that when blended together brings vitality,
energy, power, influence, uniqueness and rightness to the world.
religion, your spirituality. It helps to form the foundation of the family that builds the nation. And make sure you study, practice and teach. Don't be careless about the spiritual part of your nature, it's what makes us who we are, different from animal, dogs, cats, birds and mice. Spirituality."

SunStar

sarNie Elites
i think we all should... no matter how embrassing... that's the point of the new year... you don't have to wear it all day... wear it just to make your parent's happy about you actually caring about the culture... after a few hours... go home and change and come back in your comfortable clothes...

rainie_vang

sarNie Juvenile
SunStar said:
i think we all should... no matter how embrassing... that's the point of the new year... you don't have to wear it all day... wear it just to make your parent's happy about you actually caring about the culture... after a few hours... go home and change and come back in your comfortable clothes...
[post="36734"][/post]​
Yeah, i think that's true too...

SMILE2MEH

sarNie Egg
YEAH I SAY MOST GIRLS DWELLS WEARING IT BECAUSE OF HOW THEY LOOK IN IT. I HONESTLY THINK THAT IT MAKES ME LOOK FAT BUT DOESN'T EVERYONE ELSE LOOK FAT ALSO?

karenyang

#1S.H.E.&NicTse
i do look myself fat when i wear in hmong clothes...but it's only because of the red or green scarf thing and it's because of the ching ching only....and sometime i do complain about it and get mad for no reason because of the dress.... :D

angie_thip

sarNie Adult
i think people should were hmong to the new year. hmong suppose were hmong to the new year to present hmong culture. instead of where a short skirt and go look around for guy.

ahs

sarNie Egg
Yes, everyone should dress up for the Hmong New Year.

My mom still remembers years ago, she would get to dress my oldest sister every day, all 7 seven days...follow her around...watch her sing & toss ball...and she totally loved it. So sad that ever since she got married..my mom doesn't get to do that anymore.

I couldn't understand how my sister could stand to be in Hmong clothes from like 8 til 3 or 4 in the afternoon. It was killing me...and i wansn't even dressed up. She has six girls, and only one that she got to parade around with at the New Year. I think I defintely will dress up at least once this year.

angie_thip

sarNie Adult
ahs said:
Yes, everyone should dress up for the Hmong New Year.

My mom still remembers years ago, she would get to dress my oldest sister every day, all 7 seven days...follow her around...watch her sing & toss ball...and she totally loved it. So sad that ever since she got married..my mom doesn't get to do that anymore.

I couldn't understand how my sister could stand to be in Hmong clothes from like 8 til 3 or 4 in the afternoon. It was killing me...and i wansn't even dressed up. She has six girls, and only one that she got to parade around with at the New Year. I think I defintely will dress up at least once this year.
[post="39673"][/post]​
dont be sad. since your sister got marry so now your turn. go and toss ball girl..be like your sister.

Wai Wai Noodles

Egg Drop Soup ( ~ _ * )
I think you should wear it to New Years, but one shouldnt be criticized for not wearing the traditional clothes either...just because someone doesnt wear it doesnt mean they dont appreciate or share the same values as you do...