Should Hmong wear Hmong clothes to Hmong New Year?

iluvnumandoil

sarNie OldFart
Wai Wai Noodles said:
I think you should wear it to New Years, but one shouldnt be criticized for not wearing the traditional clothes either...just because someone doesnt wear it doesnt mean they dont appreciate or share the same values as you do...
[post="39815"][/post]​
ditto on that

Fearless

sarNie Adult
You know what's so stupid? Some hmong girls would not wear hmong clothes to the hmong New Years but instead, they would wear Vietnamese clothes.. how gay is that? I'm serious, I've seen a couple hmong girls wear Vietnamese clothes to the hmong New years.. I don't know if they just like the clothes or whatever but I think they're so stupid..

Wai Wai Noodles

Egg Drop Soup ( ~ _ * )
Fearless said:
You know what's so stupid?  Some hmong girls would not wear hmong clothes to the hmong New Years but instead, they would wear Vietnamese clothes.. how gay is that?  I'm serious, I've seen a couple hmong girls wear Vietnamese clothes to the hmong New years.. I don't know if they just like the clothes or whatever but I think they're so stupid..
[post="39889"][/post]​

LOL I bet they were just trying to be "unique" or are the ones who are confused about their nationalities...but then again I wouldnt call them "stupid" just a bit weird...

JaM

1TYM hwaiting!
^lol, yep I've seen girls wearing Vietnamese clothes, but then they also wear a lot of Thai and Chinese clothes too. Last year, however, I saw people trying to copy Indian clothes and it just looks really... <_< it was like a mix of Hmong and India which really doesn't look that good together...I think I saw like 1 girl wearing an actual Indian saree and it looked soooooo pretty! And then I remember seeing another girl wearing the traditional Korean dress too. All those outfits are really pretty but geez, it's the Hmong New Year, not International day or something..

vilasaeng

sarNie Juvenile
SO HMONG PEP HAVE NEVER WORE TRADITIONAL DRESS TO THEIR OWN NEW YEARS PARTY NOT EVEN THE OG... NOW THAT IS SAD....hmong clothes are pretty especially those heavy silver jewlry.

Fearless

sarNie Adult
JaM said:
^lol, yep I've seen girls wearing Vietnamese clothes, but then they also wear a lot of Thai and Chinese clothes too. Last year, however, I saw people trying to copy Indian clothes and it just looks really... <_< it was like a mix of Hmong and India which really doesn't look that good together...I think I saw like 1 girl wearing an actual Indian saree and it looked soooooo pretty! And then I remember seeing another girl wearing the traditional Korean dress too. All those outfits are really pretty but geez, it's the Hmong New Year, not International day or something..
[post="40147"][/post]​

That's what I'm saying.. it's the hmong New Years and why are they wearing other countries clothes.. just ridiculous.

rainie_vang

sarNie Juvenile
i know, that's just ridiculous... It's lyke dude, hello you're not other race! you're hmong... stop wantting to be others...okay? :lmao:

aZn_FrEaK

*~JUNSU'S DORK~*
i don't like them but i think we should...it's the only thing we have left beside our language, though it's dissapearing...
i'm going to one tomorrow...an indoor one i heard and i'm wearing it
to happy my mom happy and to show my pride ^^

Sharona

sarNie Hatchling
neh... i don't think it really matters. It's totally up to the person to choose
whether or not he/she wants to wear hmong clothes. Okay... so I guess it is a
New Year and traditionally they would wear their Hmong Clothes, but you know you can't force someone to wear something they don't want to wear. But yea okay... if tradition says so... then yea it SHOULD be worn. THen again.. it doesn't
hurt to wear clothes from a different culture... it makes the New Year more fun when you can look at what everyone else is wearing.

plain_jane

sarNie Hatchling
I think Hmong prople should wear Hmong clothes to show pride and culture. Afterall, we don't see many Hmong people wearing these special clothing no more and it'd be cool if everyone did wear them. Besides, it's a only once a year thing when we get to show off our outfits and enjoy the new year!

karenyang

#1S.H.E.&NicTse
i agree with plain_jane....hmong new year only comes once a year, why don't wear hmong clothing to the new year and show off how pretty your dress is and how proud of you to join the new year with everyone.....instead of wearing other culture to show off that they're a fan of that culture.......

rainie_vang

sarNie Juvenile
aZn_FrEaK said:
i don't like them but i think we should...it's the only thing we have left beside our language, though it's dissapearing...
[post="41460"][/post]​
that's true, everything hmoob people have now ish disappearing! it's lyke we've never even existed or sumthin...whether taht person lyke 2 wear it or not, who cares...at least u're hmoob and it onlie happened 7 days a year...it won't hurt you jux 2 wear it at least one day....

nence

sarNie Juvenile
even though i hate wearing hmong clothes but hey it's our tradition so we got to keep it up.

conneykhang

sarNie Egg
i say we should because its a hmong tradition. BUT, BUT i guess we have our chose. because i never wear hmong clothes. it just doesnt look right.. (ON ME)..

Of course it's better to wear hmong clothes. It's funny, cause when i wore american clothes and just wondered around the new years, only like 2 guys came up to me to talk. Then when i wore Hmong clothes and wanted to toss ball, like 5 or 6 guys came, so ha ha! I bet it happens to all the girls.

if-only

sarNie Hatchling
aZn_FrEaK said:
[post="41460"][/post]​
yes i agree w/ the part were you said that our language is dissappearing. All hmong that go to the hmong new year should at least make an effort to dress in traditional hmong clothes one day of the new year. they tell the whole world who we are and represents our culture. I also think that those ppl that wore those different culture outfits are maybe the performers.. if not then they are somewhat weird... because i do think that the traditional hmong dresses are very pretty and so does all the mekas, hispanic, african american etc... i know. yeah and more guys do talk to you in hmong clothes. hehehehe

SunStar

sarNie Elites
HELLO! it's a hmong new year... why not wear hmong clothes there? its not like it happens everyday... it's only once a year...so you might as well wear it to appreciate your own ethnicity and culture...

sometimes i see those guys who wear gangster like clothes and girls who wear kinda slutty clothes... i'm thinking... this isn't a night club! this is a social event for the hmong community... and there are elders here along with tons of children... please be discreet!

moonfaerrie

sarNie Hatchling
I use to hate wearing hmong clothes because I think I look hecka ugly in them but because I think they're not pretty. However, for the last couple of years, I have been wanting to wear Hmong clothes even though I still think I look ugly in them. And those girls that wear the traditional clothes of another nationality, I think they are trying to be unique. But hey, if they still show up at the New Year, I guess we should give them props that at least they remember who they are even if they want to be something else, right?