The Princess by Jude Deveraux

Maya_Fantasy

sarNie Oldmaid
MAYBE we should put warning that the book has some adults content and not suitable for younger AF members here. :bhehe:

@Roseloveice I had watch MYF so long ago, and don't remember much in details so it was easy for me to not compare the lakorn to the book. But I was also blushing and covered my eyes when I was watching that scene too.

@xOuner, You better hurry and catch up with these girls :drool: Don't end up like me with my "once" favorite Velvet series, now can't read it anymore. LOL
The first time after I was done with "Remembrance" I was like "WOW" and in an awe moment. I was sad and I was happy all in one. At time I wasn't much of a reader and the only reason I bought the hardback book is because I like the covers lol.  Yes you're right is something different and while reading I kept thinking what would've happens if it were to make into a lakorn? :thumbsup:  I too loveeeee the book very much, so far is on the list of my go-to books whenever I'm bored.

@byebye since you love "Tender Rebel" did you got a chance to read all the Malory/Anderson Family series books?  JL's latest book (Book 11 in the Malory Family series) that just came out hardback in June 2014 "Stormy Persuasion" is about their daughter Judith story. I could not wait to get my hands on it, but still deciding if I want the hardback or do I wait for the softcover to come out. :whistle:

@Cecilia is no fun reading just comments, you should join us it'll be more interesting. :clap:

byebye

sarNie OldFart
Maya...I have a lot of the series but I don't have all of them. But the one I like the most is tender rebel.

I don't mind that JT is an ass because men back in that time period is hardly one. They act hard but I believe they also love hard. As long as the hero doesn't beat the heroine I am fine. I have read books where the hero acts worst than JT. And remember girls in those days doesn't have a whole lot of rights even if the men beat them it is still OK.

I read historical romance where the hero has a mistress which is also the norm. Anyway...I am a historical romance junkie so these men has their way with my heart lol

byebye

sarNie OldFart
since the phone won't let me edit...what I meant to say is men back then don't always treat woman with respect because women are still being seen less. But over all most historical.romance are good. I have read a few I won't read again lol. Once a hero starts calling her a bit** and devalued too much I just stop. I want to read outlander so bad but one part of the book that stopped me was there's some hitting taking place between the h/h and I just can't imagine that for a couple

fun

Expired Sarnie
I am not big on historical romance, but if it has some kind of fantasy element. I have nothing against the genre unless it's non English (if that makes any sense) I think I blame those wuxia drama for my infatuation of Chinese historical romance. I like to read fan translation of Louis Cha novels. I know a few of his works were translated and publicized but I somehow don't like them so I rely on fan translator version, that is if it is available. 

If only I could read Chinese character I would love to get my hands on Chiung Yao (Princess Return Pearl, Romance in the Rain, Blossom Triology, etc) and Tong Hua (Ballad of the Desert, Bu Bu Jing Xin, etc)

I think the only author where I have read all collection is Nicholas Sparks. He is so predictable in his writings and plot yet I still get caught up in  all his works.

Other than romance, I enjoy Lisa See's works. One of my favorite work from her is Peony in Love. I actually like her more than Amy Tan.

I also want to get my hands on some Thai novels too!!! But too bad I can't read Thai script. 

JT sounds more like a modern man than a historical one. I know you would probably disagree but I do know a few guys like JT. 

Maya_Fantasy

sarNie Oldmaid
@byebye, again I'd highly recommend reading the whole Malory Family series if you ever come across any of their books since you love "Tender Rebel" (2nd in the series), but it would be nice to start on the first one "Love Only Once" story about their beloved niece Regina Ashton. :thumbup:

@Fun, I know what you mean, I love those ancient Chinese story too.  I wish my Thai is good, because they've in Thai as well.  I especially want to read "Mung Gon Yok/Condo Hero" series. :spin:

The only Thai novel I have is "Fah Jarod Sai" - is a very very very slow read for me, because I have to figure out how to read each word LOL :loool: It's well worth it, since I love the story. :clap:
My oldest sister started to read Thai novels when she was in her early teens, now she's in her late 50's; Therefore between both my sisters, they had thousands, and I mean thousands of Thai novels. The last time I've try to counted, they had like 3000+ and that was 15 years ago. :crazy:
Someday though I hope to improve my Thai so I can get my hands on all those books. :drool: :yahoo:

:coverlaf: Anyway back on topic, since the discussion was beyond first chapter already what did you girls think about the shopping spree?  I know the author wanted to shows how well connected and richs the Montgomery's were, but why was Aria not question at all how was she going to pay for all of that?  Did she expect it all be given to her or paid for because she's a princess? :scratchchin: Just a thought.

Reactions: fun

fun

Expired Sarnie
I can't fantom the idea of any royalty in reality who doesn't have a clue about the outside world especially coming from a rich nation. She is high on her horse if she thinks she can get anything she wants just because she is a princess. If she was to rule her kingdom, I would worry. Heck I would flee the country just to steer away from her. Who knows how much corruption goes around in her ruling.

x0unerthanlater

`my dragon's blood is blue`
@Maya, I seriously need to catch up! I just hate hate hate reading on my computer. I don't have a tablet (yet) so it's really inconvenient. I wish I had the book but I'd have to order it from ebay or something and that would take some time. I am a book reader vs. an electronic reader. Although, I'd like to invest in a good tablet so I can save some space. I hardly have anywhere to put my books. lol

I am a huge historical romance reader. I'm not sure what dominates my collection between historical and paranormal though.

byebye

sarNie OldFart
I have a kindle fire and a blackberry playbook but none of them.working. I tend to break them in like two years. I broke like 6 computers already. I am horrible with electronic stuff. But I love to buy them. Every time I used hubby computer he always think I would end up breaking them.

I love kindle fire cause you can store hundred of books. I remember when I started to read historical romance I bought so many books I end up throwing about 100 of them away.

fun

Expired Sarnie
Byebye, that is why I don't normally buy books unless I absolutely love it. All the books I have have at least been read more than twice. Before kindle and the internet boom, the public library was my weekly hangout.

Now I look for pdf files and if I really love it, that's when I go out to buy myself a copy. It is very rare that I have two copy of a book. I have two sets of copies from Harry Potter series and Twilight series. I have all original first batch of publicized version and then bought an official set which has never been open, still wrapped up in plastic.

fun

Expired Sarnie
Byebye, that is why I don't normally buy books unless I absolutely love it. All the books I have have at least been read more than twice. Before kindle and the internet boom, the public library was my weekly hangout.

Now I look for pdf files and if I really love it, that's when I go out to buy myself a copy. It is very rare that I have two copy of a book. I have two sets of copies from Harry Potter series and Twilight series. I have all original first batch of publicized version and then bought an official set which has never been open, still wrapped up in plastic.

byebye

sarNie OldFart
I was gonna go and get a few books but I got derailed by 3 pair of shoes a few clothes and a purse....sigh

Maya_Fantasy

sarNie Oldmaid
I guess there is no interest in this book anymore, there wasn't any update since I've been gone. :bhehe:

:dance1: Just thought I'll revise it a bit since I don't watch lakorn anymore, so not much to talk about in that section. :shrug:

I love holding the physical book when reading, and usually I buy books as soon as its come out.  Well at least when I was younger, but now that I'm older and getting stingy I don't mind buying used or second hand books. :rockon:  hahahaha :loool:  Unless is JL's book, I still buy her book brand new. :secret:

fun, I understand you... I have favorite copies that I don't read either, I buy second copies used on ebay and read that instead, especially the one that I like to read many, many times overs.

byebye, now I'll be taking your advice and get the ebook so I can sample variety and if I truly love the book then I can buy it for keepsake. :wink:

xOuner, I've gone back and re-read "LEGEND" and I remember it now why I don't remember reading it when I got the book when it was first published more than 10 years ago. :facepalm: I didn't like the storyline and didn't like that she was with other guys before she's with the hero.  So I skipped here and there between pages and got confused with different dimensions involved. Also young and old "Tarik" and many name "Tarik" just confused my younger mind then. :shutup: ahahaha
Even now I am still a little confused as to whatever happened to his cousin Wendell? Did she got with his great-great-grandpa and became his great-great-grandma or something? :shrug: She was not mention again after that. :shrug:

Can someone please suggest a good book to read, a romance book on Knight and Viking era? Thank you.

x0unerthanlater

`my dragon's blood is blue`
@Maya, Since Wendell stepped back through time again, she just never existed in the present technically. Only Kady & Tarik has memory of her existence. I do believe Legend has holes in the plot and the execution wasn't perfect, but at least it had some allure to it that kept it interesting. I was kind of disappointed when I read it the first time and found out that Kady didn't end up with Cole... I really wished she did. They had better chemistry. Yet, I liked the idea of dreaming about some Arabian prince come to save you. If JD and written 1 story about Cole and 1 about Tarik it would have been prefect. - I didn't mind that she was involved with other guys before she found the Hero. There's so many books like that, so I just got use to the modern reality found in books. Historical Romance is more likely to feature Heroines that are innocent before they meet the hero. You might like that genre better.

I recommend, "Prisoner of My Desire" by Johanna Lindsey. It's during the Knights era. Great book. I rate this about 4.5/5. 

byebye

sarNie OldFart
I think I have read "Prisoner by Desire" but forgot all about it. Maya...I read a book about a knight a few months ago and it was so good but don't remember the title. I kind of jump into modern time books a bit lately. There are a few that I have read and just absolutely feel in love with. There's this book called "Barefoot", it is from a first POV but I love the book to pieces. I am not a big fan of first POV cause you don't get a sense what the other person is feeling so it has to take a great writer to pull it off for me. The love story in this book is just so sweet and well written and I don't believe there's a sex scene if it has one I think it was blanked out or something. But nonetheless, I root for the h/h.

I started to pick up a few books on the alpha male...cops...military kind of heroes. The one I love was "Heels on wheels" I stayed up and finished that in one setting. I was rooting for the second couple and looked forward to their book...and read the first day it came out but I was disappointed on that one. It felt something was missing but I guess I was just too excited that it felt flat for me. Not to add, they made the main girl became a weeping  needy and just annoying as heck kind of girl for me which she was the exact opposite in the first book. I hate it when authors do that. Hmmm...thinking about it I'm not sure if the name of the book I mentioned was for 1 or 2...

I am just going to go back and read my old books. Yeah, ebooks are the best way to go about it. I have not bought a book unless I think I can't live without it lol. Out of the 350 books I got from my kindle, I think I bought about 5 the most. Those free ones are a jewel sometimes. When you get it for free and it's good...what more can you ask for :)

Maya_Fantasy

sarNie Oldmaid
"Prisoner of My Desire" is hot and juicy :bhehe: I have read all of JL's books, except her latest one. Her Viking series "Hearts Aflame" is my all time favortie, my go to whenever I'm on the road or have to be somewhere that I have to sit and wait a long time. I can read this one over and over again, in fact, one time as soon I was done reading I gone back and start reading from the beginning all over again. :crazy: I am so weird! :sweat:

xOuner, the first time I read "Legend" it was in 1996, I was quite young and my conservative innocent young mind didn't like those type of subject hahahaha, so I didn't like her very much. So I skipped alot and the story just confused me... but now that I'm older it didn't bother me as much, yet I still perfer the old way that's why I don't like to read modern setting type of book. :no:
Thanks for explaining to me about Wendell... I find it kind of strange that the author didn't mention Wendell in her epiloque other than that his uncle does not have a daughter... so I was kind of confused, and reason I ask if she became his great-great-grandma is because when Wendell and his great-great-grandpa saw each other, they kind of attract to each other. lolz
And you are right the book could have been better written with plotting the storyline out more. I was feeling a bit sad on the part when Kady gave the young Cole a hug before they left, I think he deserved more too. 
JD's could have a series of books from this story.  Cole, Wendell and her brother can even have their own story.  I find most of JD's book the real hero/heroine didn't actually meet until the very last few chapters, and by then it just felt flat they hardly spend time together then BAM it ended! :thumbdown:

byebye, who wrote "Barefoot"? 

I hate when authors does that, they gave us such a high hope, but when it comes to that person story, they just changed the whole persona of the characters.  Just like the book after "Hearts Aflame", her brother was so macho and strong wills to get to her, but when it comes to his story, he does nothing by lying in bed almost the whole book.  He has became a whimp and his sister has to do all the horsewhipping for him. :loool:

I don't mind reading an alpha male type of story as long as it was in the historical setting. I've try to read few modern setting, but I can not get into it, I got bored just few chapters in. :yuck:
But hey like you said is "free" so I will have to be open mind and try to enjoy it.  :dance1:  HAHAHAHA

byebye

sarNie OldFart
I have to go to my kindle which is my second one and is broken again. I don't know if anyone out there has the same problem with their kindle. I can only use the charger for about 1 year and it died on me. I missed reading my books.

I don't remember the author to "Barefoot" but she was really good. It isn't historical romance but it's almost gear that way because the love is very innocent. I love the Hero in there, he doesn't say a whole lot but he does say what he need to say to get his point across. The part where he washed her hair for her was just beautiful. I will have to get the name for you to try.

There's a historical romance named "accidental bride". I read that one 3 times already. The Hero is older than her...she is like 18 or something and he is in his mid 30s  or maybe older :). At first I didn't get their romance because the Hero seemed distance but once the story get going it's actually pretty good. His daughter has a book after him...yes the girl in the ''accidental bride' married her friend's father lol. Anyway, the daughter's book is a waste cause it was horrible. Another case where the author teased you about a good character only ruined it so bad when giving them their own story.

I think, I am going to read Kiss an Angel again. My all time favorite.

maimyang

keep on keepin’ on. ✨
A romance novel thread! I have a few favorites: first would be Sunset Embrace by Sandra Brown, my all-time favorite!! Soooo good. Then in no particular order, I like The Bride by Julie Garwood, Only His by Elizabeth Lowell, Double Standards by Judith McNaught. My first romance novel ever was Because You’re Mine by Nan Ryan, lol I remember staying up all night to read the book. :celebrate16: