Update on my mother finding a job

Liberty

sarNie Adult
Okay, I don't know if you guys remember but I was asking for helping in finding my mom a new job.
Thanks for all the suggestions by the way. :)
My dad called me up today, telling me to apply for jobs online for my mom, and I was like okay, sure.
But I knew something must've happened if my dad called me up for that, normally he can handle things on his own.
So he explains to me that my mom didn't get fired or anything but the silly store owner is blaming my mom for his lack of business.
I'm sorry but what I dipshit! first of all, my mom's only been working there since we moved to Austin, and I've seen the place, it's not that great looking on the inside and they didn't get that much customers to begin with.
Second -- my mom isn't even the head cook, there are several other cooks working every day. It's not my mom's cooking, it's the poor atmosphere, bad location and plain bad luck. No one's every complained about my mom's cooking before, in fact all of my friends loves her cooking.
Third -- like I said bad location, yes, it's right off the highway but it's at a corner where it makes it hard to go in and out of, plus the way it's positioned, you can't even tell there's a resturant there.
Fourth -- A few years ago, a Chinese buffet opened up in the same lot. Now, that place is huge (the food's awesome by the way), so of course the resturant isn't going to get much business.

Anyway, just needed to get that off my chest. -_-

ChenrukNote

Goddess
Awww Liberty, I hope your mom finds a better job! No one deserves to be treated like crap! I can't believe they blame your mom for bad business though, that's the most lamest thing ever.

lady0fdarkness

Professional Lakorn Watcher
that's just fucked up.. I hope your mom finds something else. I hate people who blame their failures on someone else.

PhoneO_5

sarNie Oldmaid
That owner is so mean. Your mom deserves better. Has your online job hunting for your mom worked yet? Your mom should try cooking samples and bringing them to asian stores to see if they'll order from her weekly or something until she can get a job if she hasn't found one yet.

My mom makes "Jaew Mak Phet"---Pepper sauce and puts it in these little ketchup cups and sells it with a handful of sticky rice to Mexican people at work for a buck or 2 at work. It's quite popular. One of my aunts make spring rolls and packages them and sells em for 5 bucks to her co workers too.

Liberty

sarNie Adult
That owner is so mean. Your mom deserves better. Has your online job hunting for your mom worked yet? Your mom should try cooking samples and bringing them to asian stores to see if they'll order from her weekly or something until she can get a job if she hasn't found one yet.

My mom makes "Jaew Mak Phet"---Pepper sauce and puts it in these little ketchup cups and sells it with a handful of sticky rice to Mexican people at work for a buck or 2 at work. It's quite popular. One of my aunts make spring rolls and packages them and sells em for 5 bucks to her co workers too.
Online job searching hasn't produced much.
Usually resturants are looking for waitresses and my can't do that.
I think I'd have better luck if I were in Austin, going from place to place.

But I'll try that. I didn't even think about having her make samples.
That could work, the 'Chinatown' in Austin just opened up a year ago, it's still growing.
Thanks! :)

Muddie Murda

smile...
Yah, that's so horrible. Go burn the place down =D Now who's causing the bad business?! lol

My older sister is in the process of getting my mom a job outside of the house. My mom's been doing business from within the house for like....8-9 years now. Business is slow now so she wants to get another job. My sister's looking into hospital and house keeping. At first it was to be like assembly stuff, but it'd be a very hard demanding job based on production and stuff. While hospital and house keeping is at your own pace...basically. ^_^

My mom surprised me the other day when she was like, "I'm thinking of taking a few computer classes...do you think they have some for english too?"

I was like Omo! Mama! I will look some classes up right away!
So glad she's thinking about school/classes. Tee-hee People like that inspire me all the time.

Liberty

sarNie Adult
hehe I wish I could get my mom to take classes but she's always thinking that the money is better spent on something else, or someone else (like my brothers and I). I wish for once she'd think more about herself.

Muddie Murda

smile...
yeah my mom was like that. she never ever thought of school before cuz she thought she was too "stupid." so =D i'm really happy she suddenly said something like that.

Liberty

sarNie Adult
Phone: I was thinking about your idea, sounds great but then I thought of something. Would I need to get my mom a food distribution permit?
I know when I was working at this hospital gift shop we use to get really great breakfast tacos from this small business, it's one of those stands but we couldn't get it from them anymore because they didn't have a permit to sell their stuff through other businesses. Sucks because we had to find another taco place and the new place wasn't that great.

AzngurlLo: I was wondering, does your mom have any prior education? I was thinking about talking my mom into taking classes too but the thing is, she doesn't have any educational background at all. If not, maybe I can talk her into taking some basic computer classes and some gourmet cooking classes (you know, to jazz up her resume a bit).

Muddie Murda

smile...
My mom has zip education in the US. Of course, she had some as a kid back in Laos. But she says...if you compare it to america's education, it's like middle school. I realllyyy don't know lol. Does your mom use the computer? My mom JUST got into it and she's quite.....good so far. Kinda surprised. She's super on youtube. puahahaha get your mom started with youtube. :p

Liberty

sarNie Adult
My mom has no education what so ever except English lessons back when I was younger.
lol your mom youtubes that's so funny.
I think I'd have to start my mom on baby steps, she sees a computer and all it is a hunk of a plastic to her. :p

PhoneO_5

sarNie Oldmaid
You would have to look at your state law. I would suggest you call the health department and ask. I looked up Texas http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/fdlicense/faqs.shtm and it seems like if you mom plans on cooking, she has to do it in a seperate kitchen private from your living space. But to make sure you should call them. In some states they actually allow you to sell to family and friends as long as it is not to grocery stores etc.

Here, people sell at the temple all the time, and I guess it depends on if you wanna take the risk doing it illegally or not. the best thing is to call the department and explain to them what you want to do (sell to family and friends and the asian markets) and see what they say.

cecilia

Staff member
lol .. muddie cracked me up with her youtube mom. i'm glad she decide to take some classes. i couldnt' get my mom to do it -- she would constantly say, she don't have the brain for it and i often tell her, if she can count 1-10 or remember them english phrases or carry a normal english conversation, she can do it, but so far, no luck :( .. glad your mom got the hang of it ..

as for LIBERTY, can you call the manager up and ask him numerous of other questions as to why beside the reasons he given? i mean, i would call that manager up to give him a good lecture or questions him until he can't answer back as to why blame my mom for his bad business, of course, unless, you're close to them ppl, then, there's not much you can do :(

anyway, i hope you find one soon for you mom or since she's a good cook, see if the local Asian stores accept her making food and bringing it to their store to sell it.
for me, i often stop by these Asian store for them homemade foods. .. it's the best thing ever for us lazy young ppl :loool: == maybe it'll be the start of a new boss for mom, her own boss.

as for legal and illegal, like Phone said, better check with the health department as they often require a certain license to sell it. i got one, but that's to sell promotional culture information.

Liberty

sarNie Adult
You would have to look at your state law. I would suggest you call the health department and ask. I looked up Texas http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/fdlicense/faqs.shtm and it seems like if you mom plans on cooking, she has to do it in a seperate kitchen private from your living space. But to make sure you should call them. In some states they actually allow you to sell to family and friends as long as it is not to grocery stores etc.

Here, people sell at the temple all the time, and I guess it depends on if you wanna take the risk doing it illegally or not. the best thing is to call the department and explain to them what you want to do (sell to family and friends and the asian markets) and see what they say.
Thanks for the link.
I was laying in bed last night and wondered if maybe I could make and seel gourmet candies, cookies, etc. online. I know I need license to do that because I remember reading it on e-bay.
Hm...well, I'll give them a call.