what is/are your career goals

judyp

sarNie Adult
I am currently in my last semester and will be graduating in August with my bachelor's degree in Health Care Management. Should have been done a long time ago, but I took a semester off and never took any summer courses except now because I'm just ready to graduate, been in school so long. When I graduate I want to work for the Federal Government as a occupational and safety coordinator where I work with implenting safety guidelines and making sure that the work environment is safety for employers and their employers to work in. I don't want to work in a medical office, but I wouldn't mind working in a hospital though.
thats pretty cool to find someone actually pursuing this career. i work in the safety dept at my workplace, so i deal with all that OSHA guideline stuff. its actually quite interesting. everything is by the book. im responsible for keeping track of incidents (injuries & property damage) for the company and have found myself dealing with worker's comp. but yeah. i have to prepare monthly safety training topics for the company as required by federal law. then after all that, i generate reports for the meeting. boring yet interesting i suppose. :)

XCappy

Mr. Char
I notice that Asian parents (not only them though) like to guide their children for their future career. I remember some other moms that yelled at their son when they didn't get what their mom wanted.
An Asian guy wasn't skilled enough to take the scientific way, so she yelled at him saying he is just lame... So he took the economics way and his mom just cannot bear it... There are not only maths and physics in life ma'am...
I remember also a white girl that was in the scientific way against her wish (parents forced her to do it). Well, now she is trying to be an English teacher after failing her first year in digital art.

Fortunately my parents are not like that, but I'm sure in their brain they just want me to have lots of opportunities so that I can live well. I remembered earlier they told me : Later, just work hard at school to get a good job and live well, don't do like us because we didn't go to school a lot due to war. Try to travel a lot with your work, like X do, Y do, Z do. (Those X Y Z are my cousins, are my parents friends' children...). Now, where my parents work, I can be proud. Starting from scratch in a new country isn't easy. They both have broken French but they've increased a lot. But I cannot stop laughing when they say something really weird.

So, where am I right now ? I'm about to pass to year 3 (engineering cycle) (Yes, I'm about, because I'm (not) sure about the final result, I won't see the paper with names on it because it's tomorrow (Don't worry, I know I'll pass but I don't want to have too much bighead :D). And tomorrow ? I'll be at the airport waiting a hot hostess to tell us to get into the plane). Well, in year 3 I'll be in IT field (Computer Engineering, Electronics, Telecommunications, Network). It'll be in year 4 and 5 that we choose our major. I'll prob. go for Telecoms major. I also want to do a semester abroad : maybe in the USA or in Asia. My school has interesting partnership, I'll work on it when it'll be time.

After year 5 I have 2 possibilities : Continue in another school to have double diploma or Start my professional career.
I think when I'll start to work, I'll tell my parents to stop working and get retired, I'll cut the wages.

Jean

sarNie Juvenile
thats pretty cool to find someone actually pursuing this career. i work in the safety dept at my workplace, so i deal with all that OSHA guideline stuff. its actually quite interesting. everything is by the book. im responsible for keeping track of incidents (injuries & property damage) for the company and have found myself dealing with worker's comp. but yeah. i have to prepare monthly safety training topics for the company as required by federal law. then after all that, i generate reports for the meeting. boring yet interesting i suppose. :)
Sounds like fun. I've been trying to find some more information on it but haven't been really successful. I have to prepare a job proposal for my exit that I have next month regarding the job/career I want to get into. I'v been checking out jobs where I live so I'll have a job by the time I graduate, but there's really not a lot of jobs in the occupational safety area.

ChenrukNote

Goddess
I notice that Asian parents (not only them though) like to guide their children for their future career. I remember some other moms that yelled at their son when they didn't get what their mom wanted.
An Asian guy wasn't skilled enough to take the scientific way, so she yelled at him saying he is just lame... So he took the economics way and his mom just cannot bear it... There are not only maths and physics in life ma'am...
I remember also a white girl that was in the scientific way against her wish (parents forced her to do it). Well, now she is trying to be an English teacher after failing her first year in digital art.

Fortunately my parents are not like that, but I'm sure in their brain they just want me to have lots of opportunities so that I can live well. I remembered earlier they told me : Later, just work hard at school to get a good job and live well, don't do like us because we didn't go to school a lot due to war. Try to travel a lot with your work, like X do, Y do, Z do. (Those X Y Z are my cousins, are my parents friends' children...). Now, where my parents work, I can be proud. Starting from scratch in a new country isn't easy. They both have broken French but they've increased a lot. But I cannot stop laughing when they say something really weird.

So, where am I right now ? I'm about to pass to year 3 (engineering cycle) (Yes, I'm about, because I'm (not) sure about the final result, I won't see the paper with names on it because it's tomorrow (Don't worry, I know I'll pass but I don't want to have too much bighead :D). And tomorrow ? I'll be at the airport waiting a hot hostess to tell us to get into the plane). Well, in year 3 I'll be in IT field (Computer Engineering, Electronics, Telecommunications, Network). It'll be in year 4 and 5 that we choose our major. I'll prob. go for Telecoms major. I also want to do a semester abroad : maybe in the USA or in Asia. My school has interesting partnership, I'll work on it when it'll be time.

After year 5 I have 2 possibilities : Continue in another school to have double diploma or Start my professional career.
I think when I'll start to work, I'll tell my parents to stop working and get retired, I'll cut the wages.
LOL a hot air hostess. Have fun in Taiwan Charly boy and I hope you succeed. If you do decide to study abroad in the States then holler! I'll meet you at Davis :D. Good luck!

snluvdrama12

sarNie Egg
When I was in high school I thought about becoming a nurse. Then I did some research and decided the medical field is not my cup of tea. I also did registration for the ER and that confirmed my decision. I have my BA in psychology. I currently work with children that are autistic and are diagnosed with PDD. I am an ABA Counselor. It is definitely an interesting job. Every day I go into work not knowing what to expect. I can potentially get hurt b/c the students that I work with do aggress--I've been bit, kicked, slapped etc... Despite all the challenges, I really enjoy working with most of the children. Some of the children I work with are non-verbal--they communicate with others via a picture book or a high tech communication device.
I don't plan on working in this field forever b/c the job can be stressful, the company I work for sucksss. I have over 100 hours of sick time b/c I can't call out sick unless I am deemed "physically incapacitated" or contagious from a physician--a cold does not count. I need to stop listing the cons.
The pros to this job are: seeing the children happy, the smiles, thank yous, teaching/helping them to gain independence, great coworkers, etc...
I know now that I love working with children. I plan on getting my Master's in Education and teach in a public school.
If you really want something just do it. You'd be surprise how much support/help you get from others when you tell them about your career goals.
Best wishes to all of you in your future endeavors.
:D

judyp

sarNie Adult
When I was in high school I thought about becoming a nurse. Then I did some research and decided the medical field is not my cup of tea. I also did registration for the ER and that confirmed my decision. I have my BA in psychology. I currently work with children that are autistic and are diagnosed with PDD. I am an ABA Counselor. It is definitely an interesting job. Every day I go into work not knowing what to expect. I can potentially get hurt b/c the students that I work with do aggress--I've been bit, kicked, slapped etc... Despite all the challenges, I really enjoy working with most of the children. Some of the children I work with are non-verbal--they communicate with others via a picture book or a high tech communication device.
I don't plan on working in this field forever b/c the job can be stressful, the company I work for sucksss. I have over 100 hours of sick time b/c I can't call out sick unless I am deemed "physically incapacitated" or contagious from a physician--a cold does not count. I need to stop listing the cons.
The pros to this job are: seeing the children happy, the smiles, thank yous, teaching/helping them to gain independence, great coworkers, etc...
I know now that I love working with children. I plan on getting my Master's in Education and teach in a public school.
If you really want something just do it. You'd be surprise how much support/help you get from others when you tell them about your career goals.
Best wishes to all of you in your future endeavors.
:D
psychology has always interested me, but its one of those things where i only like learning/hearing/watching but i wouldn't make a career out of it. i love how the brain works; its simply amazing. i was attending a state university last semester but transfered back to a community college after getting into the nursing program. anyways. if i were still at the university, i would have been taking psychology of crime. i will definitely have to pick it back up when i transfer back.

solin

sarNie Adult
I agree...most of asian parents want their children have a good job that is why they want them to pursue a scientist way.
I remember my khmer classes when my teacher used to tell us that the only good job is engineering and plus all my parents' friends want their children to be engineer. That is the reason I hate this job and have sweared all my life to not become an enginner :lol:

My parents are cool...I know my mother would me to become a doctor because before she left for France she used to attend medical school, but when she understood that I hate hostipals (I am a hospital phoebia) she lets me choose my own way. My brother is to become an engeener so he has no problem but with me they were at first reticent : I choose a non comon way and very different from what they know. But now that I explained us what my passion is, they accept it. Plus, my father is proud of my choice : he know that what I have choose can help and bring hapiness for thousend people even if I can't become rich :D
My mother say now that if I can help poor countries and people to have a better life is a noble goal.

XCappy

Mr. Char
I agree...most of asian parents want their children have a good job that is why they want them to pursue a scientist way.
I remember my khmer classes when my teacher used to tell us that the only good job is engineering and plus all my parents' friends want their children to be engineer. That is the reason I hate this job and have sweared all my life to not become an enginner :lol:

My parents are cool...I know my mother would me to become a doctor because before she left for France she used to attend medical school, but when she understood that I hate hostipals (I am a hospital phoebia) she lets me choose my own way. My brother is to become an engeener so he has no problem but with me they were at first reticent : I choose a non comon way and very different from what they know. But now that I explained us what my passion is, they accept it. Plus, my father is proud of my choice : he know that what I have choose can help and bring hapiness for thousend people even if I can't become rich :D
My mother say now that if I can help poor countries and people to have a better life is a noble goal.
Giving happiness is worthier than money, believe me :D. They need it more than we need. At least you can live under a roof, you have food and clothes. It's sufficient.

I've been to Cambodia in 2006, it was pretty good.

solin

sarNie Adult
Giving happiness is worthier than money, believe me :D. They need it more than we need. At least you can live under a roof, you have food and clothes. It's sufficient.

I've been to Cambodia in 2006, it was pretty good.
Thank...It's always good to hear people saying that money is not the most important.
Just to be clear...I don't live in cambodia but I used to attend khmer courses because my parents wanted me to be abble to speak and write khmer.
But I agree that Cambodia is a nice country since I was there twice for hollyday ;)

XCappy

Mr. Char
Thank...It's always good to hear people saying that money is not the most important.
Just to be clear...I don't live in cambodia but I used to attend khmer courses because my parents wanted me to be abble to speak and write khmer.
But I agree that Cambodia is a nice country since I was there twice for hollyday ;)
Hmm ca sent l'INALCO :D.

My only khmer relation is through my dad's vcd and dvd :D. Right now I'm into intensive Chinese courses. I thought it'd be 'easy', but damn, this teacher is just so awesome and of course the course runs so fast. But, I'm still alive !

I love Taiwan !

marduk

Sarnie Clown!
well, my dream goal is to marry a rich man and live off his mulas.
I like your idea. I personally would want to marry a doctor. That way, my wife would know when she's sucking the life out of me and work to correct that. Plus, she'd be rich.

solin

sarNie Adult
Hmm ca sent l'INALCO :D.

My only khmer relation is through my dad's vcd and dvd :D. Right now I'm into intensive Chinese courses. I thought it'd be 'easy', but damn, this teacher is just so awesome and of course the course runs so fast. But, I'm still alive !

I love Taiwan !
Perdu...pas INALCO : je suis jamais allé à l'INALCO !
I learnt khmer through an association for khmer in France : good and not expensive but I stoped to go after having my baccalauréat.
I also plan to take chinese courses but actually have too many thing to do.

I like your idea. I personally would want to marry a doctor. That way, my wife would know when she's sucking the life out of me and work to correct that. Plus, she'd be rich.
You remaind me my little sister : she wants to be like my tant who is marry a rich man and leads an easy life without doing anything.