sarNie Egg
does it annoy you?
i mean its like saying you are Japan or America you know

isnt it easier to just say you are Lao

i noticed mostly the little teeny kids say it

i donno it just bothers me when someone says "I am Laos"

mintwix

MMの弁護士。
Funny. I was just discussing this w/ a friend the other day. Yeah. It's not standardized to say "I am Laos." In my friend's cas, she said "Speak in Laos." She's Lao too. Of course, I corrected her. But can't really blame anyone if we're constantly around ppl who we have to speak English with. Unconciously, it slips my tongue too, b/c it's not like ppl ask you everyday what you are...well at least not for me.. so when ppl do ask me once in avery long while... I make the same mistake...only to realize a milli-second later that it's not accurate.

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
^___^ I had this talk with my friend a while ago lol and I notice every now and then I slip my tongue and say "Laos" then I laugh at myself and correct myself "Im Khon Lao" LOL when other people tell me they are Laos; I'm like ... "Laos is the Country" But I normally don't have this problem because I always answer with ThaiLaoBodian; hahah, but if I'm lazy I'll just say Lao -.-

OK_na_tur

sarNie Juvenile
haha... i alwaies say "I am Laos" 55+

is that a bad thing??

when i try sayin laotian it alwaies comes out like .."lay-o-cean" instead.

Kat

sarNie Hatchling
when i'm around my white, mexican and black friends i say i'm laos. i guess it really depends on ur preference.

mintwix

MMの弁護士。
lol. I think Lao is the most accurate way to describe ourselves. But as I admitted, sometimes "laos" slip my tongue. And sometimes when I do catch myself be4 making the mistake, I manage to say "Laotian." But even that doesn't sound right, b/c both "laos" and "laotian" are words adjusted by Enlish speaking ppl. Laotian is a little bit better. But I think "lao" is most accurate. It's just that when you're speaking in English, you adjust your accent to the language, so you end up either saying "laos" or "laotian." Just like when we speak lao :)P) with our parents. We sometimes say english words with a lao accent. Except. this isn't exactly about accent. But you know what I mean. we just go along with mainstream norms sometimes. :p

lady0fdarkness

Professional Lakorn Watcher
It doesn't bother me at all to hear some Lao people say that they are "Laos," because when we refer to speaking it, we tend to say, do you speak "Laos?" So, I can understand why some people would think that saying they are Laos is correct. So really, I don't see the big deal to it. I do, however get annoyed when a 100% Lao person would claim that they are half Thai or Thai, just to hide the fact that they are Lao. That just tells me that the person is ashamed of being Lao; that is just too damn ridiculous.

For me, I love my ethnicity and my people, and I am not ashamed to say that I love Thai music and I definitely love Thai Lakorns. Loving Lao doesn't mean you can't love Thais and their medias and culture as well, but you don't have to forget yourself and lie about something you're not.

Susie

sarNie Adult
yeah good one i remember this one girl would be like i'm laos. so i responded "yeah i'm lao too". LMAO

ohitsnoyyy

Mama Noy ♥️
oh saying that i'm laotian is even worst. i said that once & the lady was like "you're lotion? what's that?" & i go, no i'm laotian, lao. " lol.

~Sandy~

Memories with Oil from his U.S. Tour in Nov 2009!
When i say "I'm Laotian" everyone always end up asking..."what's that" Then i have to explain to them, you know people from the country Laos. So depending who i'm talkint to saying "I'm Laos" is better just so i dont have to repeat myself millions of times.

donna

sarNie Adult
i get tired of ppl saying where is laos at? so when they ask me i tell them that i'm asian and leave it like that. they always think that i am hawaiian or indian cuz i'm dark.

when they ask me specifically what i am then i say i'm laotian. i used to say i'm laos but that was way back then tho. haha

Liberty

sarNie Adult
I think when people say they are Laos, it's the same as saying they are Lao but people forget to drop the 's'.

Then again maybe they do mean they are Laos. lol
As like some sort of declaration.

lady0fdarkness

Professional Lakorn Watcher
When someone says they're "Laos." it doesn't bother me at all. What bothers me is when some says they're "Lay-O-tian" or "Leo-O-tian." That really crawls under my skin. First of all, it's pronounced "Lau-o-tian," and second of all, the word "Laotian" was invented by a Westerner. I don't mind if a white person says "Lay-O-Tian," cause they don't know any better. But when a Lao person says that??? GRRRRRRRRRRRRR......... I want to throw hot dipping sauce with padek and chili peppers all over their face.

noungning

Heartless
I do, however get annoyed when a 100% Lao person would claim that they are half Thai or Thai, just to hide the fact that they are Lao. That just tells me that the person is ashamed of being Lao; that is just too damn ridiculous.
i do too, then i ask, so what do u speak at home, does your mom and pops speak thai to you or lao? ok then u're freaking lao aight ok, get it straight hahaha, ok no i don't say it... but i do ask. ppl annoys me when they say they are thai when they are no where near being thai, just wanna be thai.

When someone says they're "Laos." it doesn't bother me at all. What bothers me is when some says they're "Lay-O-tian" or "Leo-O-tian." That really crawls under my skin. First of all, it's pronounced "Lau-o-tian," and second of all, the word "Laotian" was invented by a Westerner. I don't mind if a white person says "Lay-O-Tian," cause they don't know any better. But when a Lao person says that??? GRRRRRRRRRRRRR......... I want to throw hot dipping sauce with padek and chili peppers all over their face.
lmfao... um i say lay-o-shen... never realized it was lau-o-tian.

---

well, i was filling out an application for someone, i put in the block - "language" - "laotian" and the person crossed it off and wrote "lao" so i dunno...

as for me, it doesn't really annoy me anymore... there's other better things in life to be more concerned about like someone who has veggies stuck in their front tooth lol...