❤️[ONE31] Bad Genius The Series (GDH559 / Nadao Bangkok): June Plearnpichaya / Jaonaay Jinjett / Nana Sawanya / Ice Paris

inbetweener_guy

sarNie Oldmaid
I still don't understand ratings. Is that a good or bad rating?
Depends on the context. We can look at it based on past shows on the same timeslot. Having said that, this appears to be performing similarly to the past 2 dramas in its timeslot. But if you compare it to the other dramas from last year, this is underperforming (as many of the dramas opened at 1.5 or higher). But then again, this seems to be the "new normal". Even other networks see their ratings drop too.

If we look at its target audience, I think this is doing fine. This reminds me of how "My Ambulance" initially fared - trending on social media, targetting the younger audience. Not sure with MA, but this is available on 2 streaming apps so I guess a portion of its intended TV audience might rather head straight to their smartphones instead.

Anyway, this seems to be a grower. And I'm sure this will rate well in the Bangkok-only ratings (as most One31 dramas do).

inbetweener_guy

sarNie Oldmaid
"Chun Cheu Bussaba" is doing much better than this in the ratings. In its first 2 episodes, it averaged 1.4 compared to the 1.05 average this has gotten so far.

Perhaps this should have been a weekend drama, but One31 doesn't seem interested in opening up an early Saturday night timeslot for dramas. Its current Saturday night programming looks like this:

7PM - March-Tao-R sitcom
8:15PM - 3 Num, 3 Mum x2
9:15PM - Pen Tor
10:15PM - Sanaeha Diaries rerun -> This will be replaced by "Oxygen the Series" around September.

I'm digging this so far and actually appreciate how detailed it is. I'm curious to see how they will extend the series since the movie did so great.

Pat didn't seem like much of an asshole in the original film but Ice Paris as Pat comes off as a huge asshole. I wanna slap him in the face so bad lol. Rin clapped back to good when Pat called Bank stupid after the test lol.

sarNie Adult
Yea. They really made the character an asshole in this, and Ice is doing a damn good job at it, too. From the trailer, it seems like Grace's character will be morally questionable as well... in terms of her getting into acting. That scene of Pat repeatedly slamming the steering wheel after seeing what Grace does. I don't know what at this point, but I'm thinking may be she's either seeing or sleeping with someone.

Other than the teachers and faculty, none of the main characters in the movie really seemed bad other than Bank in the end, when he caves into cheating to get money. I wonder if Bank will do the same in the series.

kjc1994

sarNie Oldmaid
I really like Ice Paris cause his nice singing voice haha but idk bout this lakorn. I was thinking bout watching it just to see how his character is but sounds like he’s an ass lol. Plus, my summer just ended and I’m back to working virtual and in person so probably won’t get to. I’m glad there are some comments in this thread though so I can get an idea of things lol.

inbetweener_guy

sarNie Oldmaid
I'm loving this so far. They've managed to be faithful to the film, while adding some depth to the characters and their background.

I hope this will be a bit darker though, and I wanna see Lynn and Bank pull off a "Bonnie and Clyde" in the end.

Ice seems better off doing asshole roles BTW.

sarNie Adult
Ice's character is like those charming assholes you know you should hate but can't. After he finds out about Grace, wonder if he'll get darker or turn good.

I don't know if I can handle this drama getting darker tbh. Like maybe something happening to Bank's mom.

sarNie Adult
Holyyyyy, just finished ep 3. So much Liar Game vibe but in a school setting. It's like who can be the better cheater. Someone got the raw end of that one real hard.

Bank is smart. I feel like he already knows Lin is involved.

I just finished ep 8 and the anticipation is real y'all. I was so scare for Bank and Rin when they took the test. It's so unfortunate that the one who will benefit from this isn't Rin or Bank. ;(
I for real thought STIC was a real exam. Is it made up?

sarNie Adult
Although I watched the movie, the most recent episode had my heart thumping. For a smart guy, I felt like Rin had to think of ways to get them out of each mess.

Bank is so skinny. How did that toilet seat even break lol.

sarNie Adult
They're gonna get caught again, aren't they? They really made the series stand up on its own apart from the movie.

inbetweener_guy

sarNie Oldmaid
Average rating throughout its entire run is 0.992. This is the lowest rating weeknight drama of One31 (excluding re-runs) since Muang Maya back in 2018.

Credits to @noomayadrama for the full ratings.
Episode DateRating
2020-08-03​
1.1​
2020-08-04​
1​
2020-08-10​
1​
2020-08-11​
0.9​
2020-08-17​
1​
2020-08-18​
1​
2020-08-24​
1​
2020-08-25​
1.2​
2020-08-31​
1​
2020-09-01​
0.8​
2020-09-07​
0.9​
2020-09-08​
1​

sarNie Adult
That's too bad. This was a really good series. It started out weak and I didn't have much hope for it, but it's one of those dramas that actually got progressively better. So many start out strong and never pick back up.

Guess Thailand is more into those cheating storylines.