Bollywood News

JaM

1TYM hwaiting!
i think amrita rao is one of the few good new actresses...she definately would be sticking around for a while. :D

she's so skinny though...very fragile looking

karenyang

#1S.H.E.&NicTse
December 14, 2005
Fardeen Khan ties the knot ...
Subhash K. Jha, Indo-Asian News Service

Mumbai, Dec 14 (IANS) His cousin Zayed Khan got married last month and Wednesday is Fardeen Khan's turn to be groom as he weds yesteryears star Mumtaz's daughter and his childhood sweetheart Natasha.

"I'm certainly not nervous... I've known my fiancée for years. We both feel marriage is right for us. I always knew when the right person came along I'd instinctively know it. I feel it's the right time to do it, no butterflies in my stomach.... no apprehensions... I feel I want to spend the rest of my life with her," says Fardeen.

"In fact Zayed's wedding being followed by mine means almost non-stop celebrations in the family. It could also mean huge hangovers and swollen livers," Fardeen told IANS.

He says it would be a "normal three-day wedding".

"The effort would be to invite all our friends but to keep the gatecrashers out. But I know finally that won't be possible."

He sobers down when reminded of the pre-nuptial agreement that his in-laws apparently demanded.

"I don't even want to comment on this. It's so ridiculous. Nothing of this sort happened. It was a media myth propounded by people who had their own agendas and ulterior motives. I wasn't at all frazzled. I was annoyed by the unnecessary media attention."

Fardeen has just done a very steamy song sequence with Koena Mitra in his new release "Ek Khiladi Ek Hasina". What does Natasha feel about it?

"Nothing. She's a mature girl and has been a part of showbiz through her mom's career. She knows the hazards of this business."

But people have found the sequence a little too steamy.

"And why should that be so? It wasn't the least overdone. I thought we filmed the love scene very aesthetically. There was no nudity, nothing over-suggestive. It was also essential to prove how self-serving my character was.

"But I must confess I'm too private a person to do a sequence of this sort on camera without a squirm. To be making love, albeit acting it, in front of a whole crew was tough. But both Koena and I were very professional about it."

Fardeen is very pleased with the positive response to his performance in "Ek Khiladi Ek Hasina".

"I suppose the role is very close to my own external personality. Yes, it is a very urban character with flexible values. I did enjoy playing this character. But it doesn't mean I was not comfortable doing a 'Shaadi No. 1' or my next release 'Pyare Mohan'."

Is he disappointed by the cold response to "Shaadi No. 1" and the lukewarm opening of "Ek Khiladi..."?

"Everyone did his or her best in 'Shaadi No. 1'. No one has control over how a film finally performs at the box office. As for 'Ek Khiladi...', I'm very happy with the film; 420 prints were released. It's not a small film. It will take time to get a grip on the audience."

He gets along with his "Khiladi" director Suparn Verma.

"We really gel well. In fact, Suparn is planning another film with me. Has he really said he wants to work with me in all his films? Sweet, but he needs to work with other actors, just like I do."

He denies that "Pyare Mohan" is an out-and-out comedy.

"I play a visually impaired guy. Vivek Oberoi is deaf. Because of our handicaps we end up in certain situations. The film is about how we wriggle out of our adversities."

Adversities have been with Fardeen for a while now, ever since the cocaine controversy broke out.

"I've put all that behind me. But a section of the media won't let me. Whether it's a social or a legal issue, why pin down celebrities in this manner? I don't think the trial by media is right."

credit to bollywood

Kelly

omg....I can't believe Esha did tat...i mean as angry as u are...why slap someone in front of the whole production and crew....just makes u look more bad....no wonder i never rella like her....ever since she entered the industry!

JaM

1TYM hwaiting!
^i know! i think fardeen is pretty cute too..

but hey, isn't zayed khan also hithrik's brother in law? if he is then dang..they are all related!

karenyang

#1S.H.E.&NicTse
haven't catch bollywood for a while...so fardeen and kareena have already broke up? <_<

jaymes

sarNie Hatchling
I didn't know they even went out. Kareena's been going out with Shahid Kapoor for a couple of years now. There were rumors of a triangle when they filmed "Fida" last year, but like the movie, it was a bust.

Jam: I think you're right about Zayed and Hrithik. Zayed and Fardeen are cousins, too. Talk about it being all in the family.

Here's some pics from their wedding for anyone who cares:

source: Santabanta Homepage

karenyang

#1S.H.E.&NicTse
his wife is okay looking with him....but i still think kareena looks better with him...i like her wedding dress though. very pretty.... ^_^

Ana

sarNie Adult

Year 2005 saw Bollywood maturing from run-of-the-mill, formulaic films to experimental cinema aimed at combining art and commerce.

No longer do the mushy romantic stories, embellished with elaborate song n’ dance routines, rule the box-office. The stereotype that stifled variety in Bollywood movies is beginning to break. Thanks to some real good quality cinema that came out from Bollywood this year.

The first successful movie of the year, Page 3 , was a semi realistic film that took a raw look into the elitist world through the eyes of a journalist. The movie, starring Konkana Sen , had no big, saleable star to boast of. But it had a script, had direction and had acting performances that bound the audience to the screen.

Madhur Bhandarkar ’s movie hit the bull’s eye. It got critical acclaim and, on the top of it, it kept the cash registers ringing, keeping the producers happy. As a result, the production company is now investing in Madhur’s next movie too – ‘Corporate’, starring Bipasha Basu in the lead.

Sanjay Leela Bhansali lived upto the high expectations that the industry and movie buffs had of him. His Black turned out to be not just a skillfully directed movie, but it saw Amitabh Bachchan stretching his acting skills to a new high.

Rani Mukherjee , who never ceases to surprise with her acting range, played a blind-deaf-mute girl in the movie and gave a performance that will in all likelihood fetch her the best actress awards in the coming year.

Rani played a small town con-girl in Bunty Aur Babli with Abhishek Bachchan . The movie did not turn out to be a superhit, but it did go on to become a silver jubilee and raked in decent collection at the box-office. Above all, the movie gave the song, Kajra Re, that has become a cult track on the dance floors.

Abhishek’s good fortune at the box-office continued with Ram Gopal Varma’s Sarkar . The movie, gritty, stark and hard-hitting, was Ramu’s tribute to Francis Ford Coppola’s ‘The Godfather’. Both Bunty Aur Babli and Sarkar had Amitabh and Abhishek together. Their presence definitely was one of the selling points of the two movies.

The halcyon days of Bengal were revisited in Pradeep Sarkar’s adaptation of Sarat Chandra’s story in Parineeta that introduced Vidya Balan , who won immense praise for her talent and natural beauty. The movie saw Bollywood’s “cool dude with a rockstar’s attitude�, Saif Ali Khan , showing his versatility in the role of a traditional, jealous lover who cannot reclaim his love.

Saif then took a somersault and played an antithetical character of an easy-going, modern chef with an apparent lack of commitment to serious relationships in Salaam Namaste , with Preity Zinta .

While other stars were making hay, the sun seemed a bit less bright on the Bollywood’s superstar Shah Rukh Khan . The man who gave three big movies last year ( Main Hoon Na , Veer Zaara and Swades ) hogged the limelight for a short time with his Paheli , that garnered much better response at the box-office overseas than back at home. As some consolation at home, the movie was selected as the Indian entry for the Oscars.

Lucky stars also seemed less benign on Aamir Khan , whose much vaunted movie ‘Mangal Pandey The Rising ’ failed to live upto the mammoth expectations its pre-release publicity had created. What salvaged the movie was the initial good opening that was partly due to the fact that it was the only Aamir starrer to have released in the last few years.

Among the big celluloid offerings, it was the unexpected No Entry that took a lead over the rest and emerged as the most successful flick of the year. A tale of three men on an extra-marital fling, ‘No Entry’ appealed to youth and family audiences alike because of its high entertainment value without using many double entendres.

In fact, year 2005 can be dubbed as the year of comedy films. Films like ‘No Entry’, Maine Pyar Kyon Kiya , Garam Masala and ‘Bunty Aur Babli’ enjoyed a good run at the box-office.

And the year comes to close with Rohan Sippy’s Bluffmaster , which although not a full-fledged laugh riot, has got very encouraging response from the audience at home and abroad.

All in all, the successful movies of year 2005 had one thing in common – they were different and offered something new and creative. That is why I said Bollywood is maturing.

-BOLLYWOODWORLD

Ana

sarNie Adult
Source: thehindubusinessline.com

It's ending with a whimper, but there were a lot of bangs in 2005. "There is no doubt that this has been a very good year for the movies," says Uday Kaushish, New-Delhi based exhibitor-distributor.

In fact, filmmakers started uncorking the champagne as early as January this year. It started with Page 3, a Rs 3-crore movie which made Rs 15 crore, and which won Madhur Bhandarkar the best director tag at the National Awards. The film's performance set the tone for a year, which would, in the end, see both profits and accolades.

Sanjay Leela Bhansali's Black, made at Rs 22-23 crore, raised producer Applause Entertainment's bottom line; it also made both the trade and the informed viewer aware of the company, which was intent on making corporate Bollywood a real entity.

At a celebration do in New Delhi after the success of Black, the company's CEO Anshuman Swamy said, "When Sanjay came to us with his story, we had no idea that it would turn out to be such a big thing; all we knew is that we wanted to be a part of the movie, because we knew it would be special."

A whole bunch of hits popped up intermittently through the year. Soap queen Ekta Kapoor's recipe of raunch and more raunch gave her, after three duds, her first movie success. Kya Kool Hain Hum, made at Rs 6 crore, returned Rs 18 crore. Karan Johar deserted outsize romance for action with Kaal, which had good-looking men and women wandering around in a jungle. It also had Johar's good friend Shah Rukh Khan (SRK) shake a friendly leg with Malaika Arora Khan. It cost Johar Rs 12 crore, and it made twice that.

SRK's own production Paheli, a very mixed bag in terms of delivery and content (SRK plays a sexy ghost to Rani's lonely bride under non-mainstream director Amol Palekar), was also a surprising money-spinner. Produced at Rs 15 crore, it got back Rs 25 crore.

Currently, the film is India's official entry at the Oscars, and SRK is busy spending twice that amount on publicity and lobbying in Los Angeles. Whether it will enthuse the jury with its colour-drenched palette and Bollywood-style naach-gaana is unclear, but it is certainly a better bet than Devdas, also an SRK vehicle.

An old-style weepie, Vipul Shah's Waqt, which had Amitabh Bachchan play a loving father who straightens out his errant son, hit the buttons of the matrons and others both in India and abroad. It grossed Rs 35 crore, and was on the UK hit charts for a long time.

Another Bachchan-starrer gave Ram Gopal Varma his first hit in the last two years. A tribute to The Godfather in the director's words, Sarkar (produced at Rs 7 crore; made Rs 32 crore) presented the Big B in an `angry old man' mode, and gave a boost to his son Abhishek, who ably played second fiddle to his father, along with the talented Kay Kay Menon.

There was also Pradeep Sarkar's Parineeta, a period film made contemporary in its styling. Lilting music, a winsome heroine, and a Saif Ali Khan on a roll after his National Award for last year's Hum Tum created a flutter at the turnstiles; it may have been a `moderate success', according to distributor UTV (made at Rs 20 crore, it got back Rs 25 crore), but more than made up in terms of the buzz it generated.

The three biggest successes this year were split up, expectedly, between Yashraj Films, and entirely unexpectedly, Boney Kapoor. The latter's sex comedy production, No Entry, grossed Rs 45 crore (made at Rs 20 crore) and was his first success after too many box-office turkeys.

Yash Chopra's banner gave us rom-com Salaam Namaste with Saif Ali Khan and Preity Zinta living in and living it up in sunny Australia. Debutant director Siddharth Raj Anand's smart lines and the lead pair's `cool quotient' made the film a huge success. Made at Rs 12 crore, it returned Rs 40 crore. But the biggest this year is undoubtedly, Shaad Ali's Bunty Aur Babli. The fun-filled caper movie, starring Abhishek, Rani, and Amitabh, from the Yashraj stable, ran away with the summer of 2005,and made a staggering Rs 50 crore from a modest Rs 12-crore investment.

A dozen good films will remain the high point of this year, and will manage to drown out the disappointment of the big movies that nose-dived. Look at November and December's line-up, which was hyped to the skies, and did disastrously.

One of the biggest failures this year was Salman Khan's Kyun Ki. Even Salman's famed magnetic draw in the first three days (he is the king of the initial, even more so than SRK) couldn't save the movie. Ek Ajnabee flopped — it proved all over again that Amitabh is not invincible. So did Neal n Nikki, despite its heroine's desperately plunging neckline, and generous skin show. It also proved, for the first time in many years, that Yashraj Films which produced the film is not invincible too.

Some wonderful movies, which didn't rock the box office, left their stamp, too. Sudhir Mishra's Hazaaron Khwahishein Aisi, which took you back 30 years to the politics of the time (pre and post-Emergency), and how it impacted his leads, a few young people of privilege, is one of the most important films that have come out of Bollywood. It should have done better. So should have Kabeer Kaushik's Seher, which focused on the mafia in the badlands of Uttar Pradesh and a lone inspector's fight for justice. Both films told real stories of real people, engagingly and honestly.

Look at all the films that have done well this year. One common element, apart from production values, binds them: a cracking good story, told with a difference.

Ana

sarNie Adult
Courtesy: MusicIndiaOnline

They came and they conquered! The year 2005 was loaded with a gush of films pouring one after the other. Once again the industry produced and released many films, some wrapped success while some fell in the pit. Experimental cinema surpassed the formulaic ones, many talented actors and directors were introduced and film making only got better. Films with aesthetic sense, good quality and also commercial element made the best of the box office. Bollywood is ready to try something new and innovative, and this is the punch line of the year!

Many releases made the opening of the year, but it was not until ‘Page 3’ came in any of the films were declared a hit. This realistic film with Konkana Sen in the lead and directed by Madhur Bhandarkar made people sit up and gulp the real status of the society. Hardbound script, great performances and awesome direction earned accolades, won commercial and critical acclaims and also National Awards.

Sanjay Leela Bhansali with his ‘Black’ gave the message clear that the Indian film makers and as well the audience are ready to experiment and break away from the stereotypes. With his deftness in direction and the dexterity of Amitabh Bachchan and Rani Mukherjee, he unwrapped a film on screen, which will be written in the history of cinema.

Another hit of the year was ‘Waqt - The Race Against Time’, once again bringing Amitabh and Akshay to the screen again. An absolute family drama, the film created magic at home and also overseas.

This year saw the real Abhishek Bachchan at the box office as he smashed one hit after another. ‘Bunty Aur Babli’ the first con film of the year with Abhishek and Rani in the lead, had people falling for another innovative take. It proved to be a decent garner at the box office and brought in accolades to all associated to the film. The album of the film and especially ‘Kajra Re’ has become an anthem.

Abhishek got lucky the second time with Ram Gopal Varma’s ‘Sarkar’ with Amitabh Bachchan playing the lead. The film inspired from ‘The Godfather’, had a serious and stark note and impressed the critics and the trade pundits alike. Abhishek and Amitabh proved to be the strength of the film.

The industry got a beautiful actress Vidya Balan as she made her debut in Pradeep Sarkar’s ‘Parineeta’ a period film set in the era of the 60’s,adapted from Sarat Chandra’s famous novel. Saif Ali Khan once again made the best with his role and was appreciated for his versatility as an actor.

Saif Ali Khan kept the success going with another consecutive hit ‘Salaam Namaste’ with Preity Zinta. The multiplex audience loved the modern film out of the house of the Yash Raj revolving around romance and relationship.

Mainstream messiah Shah Rukh Khan hugged the limelight producing and playing the lead in Amol Palekar directed ‘Paheli’ with Rani Mukherjee. The work was appreciated, however it couldn’t prove to be a garner in the Indian screen. The film has got better response in the overseas and might also open for the Oscars.

Also the much-awaited film of Aamir Khan ‘Mangal Pandey The Rising ’ failed to put the crown on his head. He was not lucky enough this time to achieve the heights of ‘Lagaan’. Though the initial response of the film was good, later it just failed to make any mark.

2005 was a year of comedy and we saw the downpour of comedy films one after another. ‘No Entry’, ‘Kya Kool Hai Hum’, ‘Maine Pyar Kyon Kiya’, ‘Garam Masala’ and ‘Bunty Aur Babli’ all enjoyed a good run and were great commercial success.

‘No Entry’ took a bigger leap than any of the films released this year. It comes as a surprise that the most unexpected film is actually the biggest hit of the year. Applauded by the youth and family, high on entertainment and chic in comedy, the film made the best business of the year.

Other films that did well at the box office were ‘Dus’, ‘Hanuman’, ‘Iqbal’ and ‘Kaal’. A mix and match of success and failure, this was 2005 for you!

Ana

sarNie Adult
Courtesy: MusicIndiaOnlin

Kareena Kapoor have been oft paired with Akshay Kumar. We’ve seen them working together in ‘Bewafaa’, ‘Ajnabee’, ‘Aitraaz’ and ‘Talaash’. They’re a hot and hit onscreen pair and it is obvious for the film makers to rope them again and again for their film. They’re one of Suneel Darshan’s favourite pair and he signs them together again and again for his films. Kareena Kapoor will again essay the lead role in the forthcoming ‘Dosti-Friends Forever’, releasing on December 23rd.

Tell us something about the film.

‘Dosti’ means friendship and this film defines that. It talks about bonds, emotion and love. The film is basically about that. It also insists on the fact that friendship is a strong and deep relation and is also bigger than the blood ties.

The film is basically about the male friendship. What is your role in the film?

I won’t say much about the character now. But it is interesting and I play an exciting role. I’m paired opposite Akshay Kumar. More about me you can find it on the screen.

How much is friendship important in your real life?

Very much. I believe that it is a strong bond. I respect the relation called friendship and my friends are very special for me. I like friends who are frank and share a lot. But again I don’t like mixing friends and blood ties. Both have their importance and stand strong on their own. Also my star status never comes on the way of my relation with friends. This is my definition of friendship. Friendship cannot be defined; it can be felt only

Is your relation with Shahid more on the base of love or friendship?

The relation that we share is quite different. It is a mix of love and friendship. We’ve a good understanding and a good balance and this makes our relation special.

How was it working with Akshay Kumar again?

With Akshay I’ve paired in quite a lot of films and so working with him is always comfortable. He is also a good actor and I wish him best for his success. Our rapport is very good. I’m hopeful that like my former films with him, which had been successful, this one too will meet a good response.

How is your equation with co-star Bobby Deol?

I work with him again after ‘Ajnabee’ for this film. The tow between us is history now, as both of us have matured in the mean time. There was no hassles or issues while working in this film.

How was it working with director Sunil Darshan again?

The good thing about working with him is that he is very clear about what he wants to make. For this film too he was well versed with the concept. I have watched him while he worked with Karisma and I’m happy sharing a good relation with him. He is also very close to me.

Ana

sarNie Adult

Shah Rukh Khan and the Morani brothers are organising a show in Delhi (Temptation 2005), to raise funds and awareness for the National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People (NCPEDP), an organisation that creates awareness about issues pertaining to disability, so that policy-makers take appropriate decisions to create a barrier-free environment.

Besides Shah Rukh, the show, to be held at the Indira Gandhi Stadium on December 24, will also have performances by Priyanka Chopra, Rani Mukerji, Zayed Khan and Esha Deol.

Bollywood vs cricket

NCPEDP was established 10 years ago by the Rajiv Gandhi Foundation and Action Aid. Says Javed Abidi, executive director, “Since we were in our 10th year, we decided to raise funds for NCPEDP’s corpus fund. Since funds can be raised either through cricket or Bollywood charity matches, we decided to approach Shah Rukh. I met Shah Rukh through someone who knew him.�

When did he meet Shah Rukh? “I met him in September. He was just leaving for USA for Karan Johar’s film. It was the middle of the night, but he agreed to do it on the spot. Shah Rukh was stressed and tired, as he was practicing for a show, but when he met me, he was extremely focussed.

In the 40 minutes that I was with him, I found him to be a very nice, down-to-earth human being. Unlike some stars whose attention wanders, he was attentive and asked me lots of questions. At the end of it he said, ‘Yes, I will do it’. I gave him some material to read and after that my second meeting him was on December 17.�

Shah Rukh cooperative

Did his impression change? “No. He has always been very cooperative. What impressed me tremendously was that at the press meet, Shah Rukh said NCPEDP in one breath, without stumbling over it like most people do! He had read the material. It’s difficult to pronounce; even some of my staffers stumble over it.�

Christmas date

Abidi says initially the charity show was to be held on December 11, “but the preparations were not complete. The Indo-Sri Lanka cricket match was taking place during that time, so we decided to postpone it. The fresh date was set for December 24.

The police were initially reluctant, as it would be crowded on Christmas day and difficult to have proper security arrangements, but things worked out. When we approached Shah Rukh again to confirm his date he readily agreed. He even got Rani, Priyanka, Zayed and Esha with him.�

Shah Rukh Khan says, “When NCPEDP came to me, I said why not? I am thrilled to take part in this opportunity that NCPEDP. Quelling our greed, let’s do something for a cause. If we can contribute in making the world a better and more beautiful place in a small way, let’s do it.

There can never be enough of what one can do for people. I have never thought disabled people to be different from us. They are very strong people and don’t need sympathy.�

-bollywoodworld

Ana

sarNie Adult
Hrithik, Kareena may act together again
Dec 20, 2005

Courtesy: Apunkachoice

Doomsayers had predicted that Hrithik Roshan and Kareena Kapoor might never team up after having done four films together. Such speculations are about to be proved wrong.

We know the way things go with the gossipmongers who start linking any two co-stars after they have worked together in a string of films. It recently happened with Akshay Kumar and Priyanka Chopra . Before that, it happened with Hrithik and Kareena.

Hrithik and Kareena have acted together in a number of films – Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham , Yaadein , Mujhse Dosti Karoge and Main Prem Ki Diwani Hoon . It was during the making of Sooraj Bharjatya’s Main Prem Ki Diwani… the rumour mills were in overdrive, churning out canards of a fling between Hrithik and Kareena. The two stars had then decided to avoid doing films together to keep the talking tongues from wagging.

But now, it seems that Hrithik and Kareena might come together for Zoya Akhtar’s next movie.

According to Mid-Day, Zoya’s brother, Farhan Akhtar , is on good terms with Hrithik and Kareena. Reports say he has convinced the two to act together again in Zoya’s film.

While anymore detail about the movie is not known, it is learnt that it will go on the floors in the second half of next year.

Ana

sarNie Adult

Courtesy: Apunkachoice

Shahid kapurActress Amrita Rao’s forthcoming films have her playing the romantic interest of Shahid Kapur.

Accolades may not have come her way as yet, but Amrita Rao is progressing, moving on and gradually making her own place in the tinsel town.

Of late, she has been in the news for wrong reasons. First, there was an incident of Esha Deol slapping her on the sets of Indra Kumar’s movie Pyare Mohan. Then, reports emerged that Amrita was unhappy with her role in director John Matthew Mathan’s movie Shikhar .

Amrita is downplaying the incident with Esha, and she says she was misquoted in her statements about Mathan’s movie.

For now, Amrita is not letting the canards and gossiptalk disturb her. She says she is upbeat about her forthcoming films Vaah! Life Ho To Aisi and Shikhar.

Both films have Amrita pairing with Shahid Kapur.

Are we looking at another hit onscreen jodi in the making?

“I don’t know, but I feel very comfortable working with Shahid. He is a co-operative and understanding co-star. He also has a strong passion for his work.� Amrita is quoted as saying about Shahid.

Vaah Life Ho To Aisi has Amrita playing a school teacher. The movie is a fun flick with Sanjay Dutt playing the modern avatar of Lord Yamaraj.

Shikhar, on the other hand, has Amrita in a very different role. She plays a typical Indian girl who grows into a mature woman after she takes on a lot of responsibilities.