Joining the ARMY

Vamkim

sarNie Juvenile
I only have one month to decide and think about if I would join the army. I have always wanted to serve my country since I was 11. And just about 3 months ago, I have thought about joining the army and have talk to my parents about it but, my mom refuses to let me join. So they bought me a new car to make me stay and help me look for a good jod. But The economy is so corrupted that its hard for a person like me to find a job. So I kept looking and applying but no business have called me back. So four days ago, my mom told me that one of my cousin have join the army forces and in may 2009 he will be going to boot camp for training.

And 2 days ago my aunt called me and told me that her son have joined the army and suggested that if I join the army then it will make my future better. And that they pay good money and everythiing.

So, anyone have any advices on which would be better. Join or dont joined?

it depends if you believe in the war's cause, and if it's something you really want to do. don't just do it for the money, & don't just do it b/c you see posters and commercials about how joining the army will help your country. do your research about that one.

some of the corporate world is corrupt, and you would need connections to get in. some are legit and they're just looking for people who are worth their money. you just don't throw away money on "good faith." what does your resume look like, & how do you present yourself in interviews? are you sure that if you were running your own business, you would absolutely hire you based on your resume and how you present yourself in interviews? which is also why i don't mind people needing connections to get "in," it's like "word of mouth" advertising. you'll trust people you know more than some stranger who walked into your office.

if you're serious about joining those corporations... as in you like what they stand for and what they're providing (not just the money), then follow-up on why they haven't called. if they picked someone else, ask them if they could give you an honest critique of why they didn't pick you... and that you would really appreciate it. some will lie. some won't. just remember to be courteous regardless.

it's like asking someone to invest $20K, 30K, 40K, 100K++ in you, give them a good reason to.

yeah. the economy is rough right now. it's the tough times that show who's strong or weak. don't be a weakling. ;)

fun

Expired Sarnie
Which army? My brother is in the National Guard and no he does not in combat, basically for natural disasters. My uncle is a former Marines he actually fought in war. I don't believe in killing for a nation freedom.

YM_gurl

sarNie Oldmaid
I only have one month to decide and think about if I would join the army. I have always wanted to serve my country since I was 11. And just about 3 months ago, I have thought about joining the army and have talk to my parents about it but, my mom refuses to let me join. So they bought me a new car to make me stay and help me look for a good jod. But The economy is so corrupted that its hard for a person like me to find a job. So I kept looking and applying but no business have called me back. So four days ago, my mom told me that one of my cousin have join the army forces and in may 2009 he will be going to boot camp for training.

And 2 days ago my aunt called me and told me that her son have joined the army and suggested that if I join the army then it will make my future better. And that they pay good money and everythiing.

well, dont join the army just because you cant find a job. :D bad idea. hehe..

better future? not really, depends how far you go && wat you do while you're in the army. i have cousins who joined && are
home now, doing nothing. (they cant find jobs either)

btw i have a brother who's in the marines, && since he's having too much fun these days.

when he comes back home. he might be a bum.. hehee!!

watever you desire, go for it. :D

*Ice*

sarNie Adult
i wanna join da army random i no, if its something u always wanted to do and its in ur dreams go for it.

Cee

sarNie Hatchling

Hey Vamkm.

i had the exact same idea...
over this summer i was thinking about joining the army so badly...
just comng right out of graduating hi-skool i wanted to do my services.
couldn't no jobs cause all the kids got them all so i had no where else to look.
plus i didnt want to go to college cause i wanted a break. but then there was
something holding me back...famly. my mom depended on me so i needed to help her.
needed money... so i choose to school... but im getting paid to go to school so thats the good part... wish my mom bought me a car lol.

my bro in the national guard/army and he serving 2nd tour in iraq... even though your a national guard, i think your going to
serve over seas for over a year before you do anything else..

well your grown now. so you should tell yourself why should you join and think about whos lifes your going to affect by joing the army. since your parents got you a car and helping you look for a job, if i was in that postion i would not join...but trust me once you join military, you wont be the same.

shachibasha

psychotic
today at school we had an army recruiter and some dude that just got back from basic training and AIT he said that whatever job your doing for example finance if you go to iraq/the war zone the only thing htat you will be doing is finance and noting else. ohh and if you join the army you can get the montgomery gi bill which gives you 72,900$ for school and 6580$ allowance money..they pay your bills you home and even you medical stuff. you also get 24,000$ a year...you get paid on the first and on the 15 if you can sign a life insurance for 450,000 and if you die that goes to your family...and also they give you more money if you are married...this is what i got from the presentation today at school kinda cool

Vamkim

sarNie Juvenile
today at school we had an army recruiter and some dude that just got back from basic training and AIT he said that whatever job your doing for example finance if you go to iraq/the war zone the only thing htat you will be doing is finance and noting else. ohh and if you join the army you can get the montgomery gi bill which gives you 72,900$ for school and 6580$ allowance money..they pay your bills you home and even you medical stuff. you also get 24,000$ a year...you get paid on the first and on the 15 if you can sign a life insurance for 450,000 and if you die that goes to your family...and also they give you more money if you are married...this is what i got from the presentation today at school kinda cool

Yeah it does sounds kinda cool, But I know it wont be easy. I'm still thinking about it. Im just thinking about joining for 4 years contract but if I really like it then maybe for 20 years.

Alhambra1

sarNie Juvenile
Well personally I think that you should go get your college degree first and than after that if you still want to join the Army than go in as an officer where you will get more respect and higher pay verses going in as an enlist where the base pay for an E-one is like 1400 or so only. Not only that, but as an officer if you choose to live on base your living is so much better than an enlist. Plus if you go in and it's not what you want, you're stuck for four years. You do understand that the military is all about rank structure, and just for being a minority you are already at a disadvantage . Again like I said, if you really want to serve your country go get a degree and enter as an officer, there will be more door open for you.

cecilia

Staff member
^ah, if go to college and get your degree before joining the army, no point in doing so. *that's just my opinion*
reason why i want to join the army when i was in high school was b/c of the money issue too.
my family were struggle when i was a kid, and i figure, the only way out of this is to join it for the bright future.

i keep pushing it away, years later, i'm glad, i didn't. not that i dont' want to serve the country but there are so many things out there to solve financial problem.
sure, not bringing in enough money is always a big factor, but if one continue to go to school for what they are good for, eventually, they'll make it w/out having to sacrificing much. -- but that's just me.

i do heard good stuff about the army since my brother in law is in there along with one of my female cousin -- sad thing is that they don't come home often :(

Alhambra1

sarNie Juvenile
^ah, if go to college and get your degree before joining the army, no point in doing so. *that's just my opinion*
reason why i want to join the army when i was in high school was b/c of the money issue too.
my family were struggle when i was a kid, and i figure, the only way out of this is to join it for the bright future.
Well when you go active as an officer you can get your loan paid off and depending on your degree there are cash bonuses. Why do you think there are doctors, dentists, lawyers, and so forth who join the military?

noungning

Heartless
but trust me once you join military, you wont be the same.
<_< oh whatever, i have one good example. but i will not mention anything besides the fact that a military lifestyle doesn't change who you are, it provokes the true person you are to shine brighter. either it be good or bad, it's up to that person. it's not that they aren't the same, it's just that they are showing their true nature.

doesn't that just sound awesome? but what happens to those ppl who come out of the military and doesn't have the ambition to go to school and etc? they go back to step one, as if this whole military experience never happened.

as for, should u go after school or before school?

i think both seems good. many people who goes and joins the military after high school, i see that their main excuse is, "it can change me for the better", "i can be a better person", "i'll get to travel", blah blah blah... not so much of the money factor... because although after you're done with military, u'll be able to get the grants for school and etc. like mentioned earlier, people gets lazy and feels like, "why bother"... and additionally, they are not making a shit load of money if they are just some no-rank cadet. my friend made $230 every 2 weeks, and he had a wife and 1 child at the time, who was an infant!!! they were living on that income, good thing his mom supported their asses.

but entering with a degree, status, rank or whatever it is that will make u have authority and power... that person doesn't need to be there for X number of years to get that respect and then finally get some kind of income to support those people waiting back home.

however, if someone truly believes they NEED to enter the military for school financial support. i reckon there are financial aids, grants and scholarships out there that needs someone to apply for. military is probably last resort for someone who really needs desparate help in order to go to school, and i'm all for that... but only if they've extinguished all other means of assistance.

and as for answering the OP, never commit to something more than 1 term prior to experiencing it. this is your life, u've never tried the military lifestyle, how can you think that you might sign up for 20 years when u've never even tried out the lifestyle. you might go for 1 day and realize that it's not somewhere u'd last another day in.

if it really is your desire to serve for the country, and for its purposes, then go for it. but if it's just to escape, to demonstrate that you "can", to fulfill your ego, to win over your parents' perspectives and reasoning of the army, to run away from the economic situation, to find a short way out or any other pointless reasons... i don't think it's a good place to be.

i guess you have to realize that regardless of where you go, there will always be politician, and it will ALWAYS be up to who you know and what kind of connections you have to get thru loops and holes... but it takes a true fighter get to the top without those types of connections. have u really faught to get a job? (not physically lol) and tried everything you can? or is it that u just don't care if u get a job because in your mind, u still have the army to fall back on?