Laos people in the U.S. looking like Thai Lakorn Stars

sweetbabe

sarNie Egg
hahaha omg i fall asleep when it come to american and european history too. i guess that cambodia, laos, thai history are not so sure to be true cause there is no tape to prove it only history book. But history book you can not really believe it too cause it can be added words or delete some part out. I guess the only way to find out the truth is to go back in time lol ... like that gonna happen.... Anyways seeing prove it all then hearing it from others.

Phon

sarNie Adult
that's true... when i listen to lao ppl who was born here in the US speak lao, it sounds funny lol... i can speak both, but i speak lao cuz i used to it, and i'm lao... yeah, can't say much about the government, but it's true from what phon said... nothing's clear about the history, and no one knows for sure... i love to study asian history (lao, chinese, etc) rather than european though.. i fell asleep in history class studying european history...

I learn lao history from my dad and some from reading on my own. I can read lao and thai. but the funny thing is i read thai 1st then i came to read lao lol. they say if u read thai 1st u cant read lao but if you read lao 1st u can read thai. but i read thai 1st from all them mv and karaoke i watch lol. but lao is hard for me thier letters are messy. and some letters is same as thai but different sound like the n for thai is written the same way as the m sound in lao thats what through me off at 1st but now i got it all down lol. yep your right history no one knows for sure. you know how people tell story like say i tell u something then u past it on to another person you will add some stuff to it lol. then that person past it on add more stuff to what u already added lol. thats why i read history i just read but dont really believe it. if i dont see it with my own eye i dont believe anything thats how i am. i know alot lao or khmer out there believe in thier history so much they they tend to have hate for thais. i just ask them how sure r u about your history. but they think thiers is correct and thats how hate starts. i'm not like that i am more open to anyone side of history i'll debate about it but i wont say i am right and they are wrong. like some my friend say thai history is bs and lao is 100% perfect. that to me is ignorant arrogant blinded. :)

dfemc

sarNie Adult
whoah this was a weird topic and took an interesting twist, couldn't read every comment word for word. but sure interesting history, let's see who can popularize the historiography behind it. as for the original topic, i just don't get it, but that's okay, it's probably beyond my cultural context.

lilxgxriah

sarNie Adult
hahah yeah...i havent been here in a while..and i guess my topic did take a little twist hahahaha..its all good tho..thanx for the info!

well, i think that it really depends on the person, not the race...not every single laos person qualifies (with their looks, etc.) to be a thai star or model...but there are some...just not all. i think that this goes for every other race out there...and vice versa.

soupansa

sarNie Hatchling
This is a very interesting topic, surprpised it hasn't been brought up. But, yes I do realized how some Thai people look down on other races but I don't believe it's just the Thai people. I was in Laos and I was treated nicely, but taken advantage of like nouning when it comes to money. Sometimes I wonder if they really like me for me or because they think I have a lot of money because I came from the U.S. Also, when I was vacationing in Thailand, I was treated better than the couple next to me at the airport who was also Laos but badly dressed. I think it's just pointless and people wonder why there's so much problems with racism and the world. I am part Thai, Laos, French, Chinese, and Hawaiian so I don't know what side to stick up for. I won't take sides because like I said, it's not just the Thai people who does it.

I was in Taipei and the girls there were dressed in luxury. I was feeling lazy that day so I was wearing sweat pants and a sweater to go shopping with my mom and she went into the makeup store. The girls who work there kept their eyes on us EVERY second, thinking that we might steal something because we're not dressed luxurious as they are. I got really mad and I'm not the kind of person to cool down when I get angry. It was my mistake that I blew my lid and it made them think I was a ghetto gangster or something. So we didn't end up buying anything from that store.

It's pretty pathetic how people are categorized in groups like "high-so, low-so, beautiful, ugly, tall, short, dark, light, etc..." Why can't we just all be PEOPLE and not "A Short dark asian". This topic really p*sses me off, sorry. The world needs to grow more brains...better yet A HEART!! <_<

klarissa

sarNie Hatchling
I wasn't going to reply, but hey, i might as well since I have time now.

first i'm going to LOL@ D, god i love that girl haha..

as for my comment, I think brevity is the soul of whit and I'm just going to say one thing before anyone accuses people of different races looking down at other races, if you're going to target a certain race make sure you can get your facts straight, think of where you're located, the people there, think of other outside factors that may target your way of thinking. well I'll quit beating around the bush and just say, that think before you type; not only would you are not accusing just one person but the whole race, like saying Americans are lazy...but aren't you an American as well? See, sometimes accusing something as a whole doesn't necessarily apply to an individual.

All i'm saying is, because of people with mindsets like you, there needs to be hardfeelings between people. I do apologize you feel that way about certain people. Have you ever thought that the problem initially lies within you and not the other people? Never thought of that I bet.

and that's all I'm saying.

Nae_jai_leaw_lur

sarNie Egg
Dude I know exactly what you guys are talking about. Just about half my brothers and sisters can be thai models or actors, and when I mention that to them they would say "no, I would rather become one in laos, represent" LOL. I would be like yeah, that's how you do it. I just think some laos people, or laos people in general are so shy. They are so talented but they just don't want to show it.

SecretAgent

sarNie Hatchling
lol excuse my ignorance, but I'm confused.

Aren't Thai and Laos people the 'same', but speak a different language? If someone is Laos, why would they need to be a Thai model instead of a Laos model? Is it because Thailand has a bigger entertainment business?

noungning

Heartless
hmm i'm not sure if what u are saying is correct. Lao people are from Laos, Thai people are from Thailand.

it's in the same sense as you saying ALL spanish people are from Mexico. Now, if you go and say that to some Cuban or Puerto Rican, u'd be knocked... correct? They're the same, their language is almost the same... right?

SecretAgent

sarNie Hatchling
hmm i'm not sure if what u are saying is correct. Lao people are from Laos, Thai people are from Thailand.

it's in the same sense as you saying ALL spanish people are from Mexico. Now, if you go and say that to some Cuban or Puerto Rican, u'd be knocked... correct? They're the same, their language is almost the same... right?

Yes, I understand about how people who speak Spanish are everywhere, from Latin America, South America, Spain, etc, and that the thing that seperates them besides their culture is how they look. For example, some groups tend to be darker/lighter than others, or by the way their face is shaped. Just like how the different Asian groups look different.

My point that I was trying to figure out is do Laos/Thai people come from the same bloodline? Because people always ask, "Are you Laos 'or' Thai?" We know if a Korean person grew up in China speaking Chinese, he's still a Korean by blood, and you can see the difference. So if a Laotian grew up in Thailand or vice versa, would he be considered Laos or Thai, since I thought they shared the same blood but just live in different countries seperated by water. If there is a difference, I would greatly appreciate the explanation. Being an Asian American, it's hard to communicate with your parents enough to ask about it when you don't know much Laos. :p

So I was wondering why a person in Laos would even need to be considered as a Thai star? Unless of course, I'm interpreting the title of this thread wrong, and the poster was just talking about how some people just 'look' similar to famous Thai stars.

marduk

Sarnie Clown!
Yes, I understand about how people who speak Spanish are everywhere, from Latin America, South America, Spain, etc, and that the thing that seperates them besides their culture is how they look. For example, some groups tend to be darker/lighter than others, or by the way their face is shaped. Just like how the different Asian groups look different.

My point that I was trying to figure out is do Laos/Thai people come from the same bloodline? Because people always ask, "Are you Laos 'or' Thai?" We know if a Korean person grew up in China speaking Chinese, he's still a Korean by blood, and you can see the difference. So if a Laotian grew up in Thailand or vice versa, would he be considered Laos or Thai, since I thought they shared the same blood but just live in different countries seperated by water. If there is a difference, I would greatly appreciate the explanation. Being an Asian American, it's hard to communicate with your parents enough to ask about it when you don't know much Laos. :p

So I was wondering why a person in Laos would even need to be considered as a Thai star? Unless of course, I'm interpreting the title of this thread wrong, and the poster was just talking about how some people just 'look' similar to famous Thai stars.
For all intents and purposes, we can say that everyone shares the same bloodline, but I know what you mean. Lao and Thai people are related much closer to each other than Lao and Khmer or Thai and Burmese. Many centuries ago, there were two main kingdoms in the SE Asian area. They were the Khmers and the Burmese. Somewhere along the line, the Thai/Lao group came down from China as many different tribes. There's not a lot of evidence available, but from what is gathered, Lao people settled along the Mekong while Thai people came further south along the Chao Praya river. You probably noticed similarities along the languages and this is due to the fact that they're both derived from the same original language. If you go back even further, you can even notice the similarities between the Lao/Thai languages and Mandarin with Lao being closer to Mandarin than Thai. The similarities can be seen in the syntax and grammar construction. For example, "Gin kao lerl yung?" and "Ni hui bu hui shuo zhongua?" both contain questions that ask for an affirmative or a negation. Another example is "Pai nai ma?" and "Ni hui shuo Zhongua ma?" Both languages use ma at the end to specify questions and additionally, Lao uses "bau" as their negation word and Mandarin uses "Bu."

Anyway, I'm digressing. So the Thai/Lao group comes down and set up their kingdom depending on the tribes. There was the Kingdom of Lan Xang (based around Vientiane and Xieng Dong Xieng Thong aka Luang Prabang), the Kingdom of Lanna (around the Chieng Rai/Chieng Mai area and the Kingdom of Ayuthaya. There was a lot of intermarriage between the different royalties of the group as Fa Ngum (King of Lan Xang) married a princess of Ayuthaya and Sethathirat, another famous Lao King, was originally supposed to take the throne at Lanna, but left for Vientiane.

Anyway, there's a lot of history but the point is that separation of "races" is hard to determined as the group has been separated for many years based on artificial borders. During the ancient kingdom period, Kingdoms would conquer each other and then take people as spoils of war back to their home. Thus, for the most part, Lao and Thai people are the same, but in the sense of the modern era, they're not. Their border was made by the French and separated along the Mekong River. Most people in the Isan area would say they're Thai and sometimes would say they're Lao.

The whole field of group migration and language evolution is amazing and I don't think I actually came to a conclusion. But from the info I gave, I hope I make things clearer. If you want to learn more, you can always look it up.

SecretAgent

sarNie Hatchling
Wow Marduk, that was a lot of helpful information. ^_^

I'm actually learning Mandarin right now, so knowing about Laos being similar might be a little helpful in understanding some stuff. :D

dfemc

sarNie Adult
For example, "Gin kao lerl yung?" and "Ni hui bu hui shuo zhongua?" both contain questions that ask for an affirmative or a negation. Another example is "Pai nai ma?" and "Ni hui shuo Zhongua ma?" Both languages use ma at the end to specify questions and additionally, Lao uses "bau" as their negation word and Mandarin uses "Bu."
monkey muchacho, u presented lots of great points and historical insights there. but i just wanted to correct some of ur minor points on the similarities of the Lao & Mandarin Chinese though. The grammar is quite similar, but your examples don't seem to fit. So let's present a more accurate example along what u've already got.

"Gin kao lerl yung?" = (in literal translation of PraSa Thai) "Eat rice yet"
"Gin kao lerl bau?" = (in literal translation of PraSa Lao) "Eat rice yet"
"Ni Chr fun la ma?"= (in literal translation of Mandarin) "Eat rice yet"

In that instance the syntax of the grammar is practically the same. But not all the time.

Ni hui bu hui shuo zhongua ---> in PraSa Lao, you wouldn't say, "Do you or do you not speak Chinese", but you would say, "Can you speak Chinese" (Jao vao pra sa jeen dai bau"). In asking for an affirmative or a negation, that's just the nature of the question that can exist in any language. Precisely, you should look at the syntax rather than the nature of the question itself.

And for the last one where you mentioned that "both languages use ma at the end". THAT'S INCORRECT! only mandrin uses MA at the end of questions. the "MA" used in your sample question is a matter of context not grammatical syntax.

"Pa nai ma?" = Where did you come from? --> in this situation, MA is used to mean come. but it wouldn't be found in other Thai/Laotian question.

"Ni hui shuo Zhong Wen Ma" = Can you speak Chinese (btw ZhongGua is the country not the language)? --> in this situation, MA is just a punctuation to indicate a question.

So what you mean to say is not that both the languages end their questions in MA, but that both the languages PUNCTUATE their questions with an ending word. Whereas in PraSa Lao a question is punctuated with BAU and in Chinese with MA.

"Jao yak aan beum nee bau" = would you like to read this book?
"Ni yao kaan dao jer gher shu ma?" = would you like to read this book?

there the BAU is comparable to MA, but both of the languages do NOT end their questions in MA to punctuate it as a question, ONLY in mandarin

Sorry to sound so particular (n don't mean to come off as a nit picky anal person), but it's important to keep disseminate accurate information. Being from these cultures, I feel it's important to have ideas about both the culture and language be understood as accurately as possible by everyone.

lilxgxriah

sarNie Adult
omg..i jus read my first post again, and i guess i just made a general statement!! i'm so sorry lol i meant to put SOME THAI PEOPLE...but yeah, i was just heated at the moment i wrote that, something was going on at that time so i just needed to blow off steam...lol i love the controversy in this topic

bxz88

sarNie Hatchling
i realized that most of my frends and family members could deffinitely pass as a thai lakorn star or atleast models. like i hate how thai people think they are so much better than laos people...honestly i dont think they've seen laos ppl in the u.s. cause they are just as pretty...anyways, let me know what you think

I think the reason why the Laos in America can pass as a thai star or model is because of
the good life in America compared to the people in Laos that barely have enough to eat.
I'm sure any person living in the U.S. would look better than a person that lives in the
third world country.