Let's Eat & Drink - Vietnamese Cuisine, Foods & Drinks (˘▽˘)っ♨ & (*^◇^)_旦

Ncmeowmeow35

sarNie Oldmaid
Ms.Zoe said:
@Mew, is it the chicken with unlaid eggs inside it? I don't know about this kind of chicken with embryos. Bun Rieu, Bun Oc?? But the clear noodles are not used for either noodle...Hmmm
@bb777, you over ate them, no wonder lol.
@byebye, I hope you could enjoy foods again soon. I am glad that you went to another oral surgeon for a second opinion.
Yes it is the inside of the chicken. My bestfriend mom is married to a laos guy and I know they make lots of dishes with chicken's insides so maybe she mixed it? Lol

As for the clear noodle soup with snails, I don't see it in a whole lot of restaurants. Very very few, could it be a region thing?

Ms.Zoe

.: Lady Huo :.
It could be a region thing or they just make it different, mixing different noodle soups together.

There is another type of noodle soup I have not posted photos up yet called Hu Tieu. This noodle soup have like 2 different types of noodles, the opaque & clear ones. But still it does not have snails, crab meat & tomatoes.

Ncmeowmeow35

sarNie Oldmaid
Oh I think I've had that before too.

What about this muffin thing that is made with um I think cornmeal and onions with shrimp on top?

Ms.Zoe

Hopefully I could answer this question of yours lol. I think you are talking about Banh Duc.

Info about Banh Duc

In northern Vietnam, bánh đúc is a cake made from either non-glutinous rice flour or corn flour. It is white in color and has a soft texture and mild flavour. It is typically garnished with savory ingredients such as ground pork, tôm chấy (dried ground shrimp), cut fried shallots, cut shallots, cilantro, sesame seeds, salt, peanuts, lime juice, and soy sauce or fish sauce.

In southern Vietnam, bánh đúc is a dessert made from non-glutinous rice flour. It takes the form of gelatinous blocks that are often colored green by the addition of Pandanus amaryllifolius leaf extract. It is cooked by boiling the ingredients and allowing them to cool, solidifying into a jelly-like sheet that is then cut into blocks then garnishing with sesame seeds & sweetened coconut milk.

The sweet type of Banh Duc - Banh Duc La Dua (Pandan Rice Cake)

Cr as tagged, to rightful owners & Wikipedia

Ms.Zoe

The Vietnamese people have a saying:

Mấy đời bánh đúc có xương, mấy đời dì ghẻ lại thương con chồng.

The literal meaning is: "bones are never found in bánh đúc, just like a stepmother never loves her husband's own children." This couplet is used to describe something very unlikely to happen.

Cr to Wikipedia

Ncmeowmeow35

sarNie Oldmaid
Oh I had those before, both savory and sweets.

The muffin is baked though, oh and it had mung beans as well as onions in it.

Man maybe I should go stay at my bf's tonight so that I can go to little saigon town in west minister.

Ncmeowmeow35

sarNie Oldmaid
Isn't that the same as bahn beo but just formed in a ball? Oh man you're making me hungry and all I had today was coffee and crumpets lol.

byebye

sarNie OldFart
I love the bun with BBQ meat inside. We used order the bun with crispy duck dipped in oyster sauce. That's my quilt pleasure. But I generally just like the bun itself.

Ncmeowmeow35

sarNie Oldmaid
byebye said:
I love the bun with BBQ meat inside. We used order the bun with crispy duck dipped in oyster sauce. That's my quilt pleasure. But I generally just like the bun itself.
Chasiew bao! Lol I like it better baked then the steamed one. I like the peking duck psncakes too but it is so much better with the cripsy pork skins! My favorite is siew lohng bao, steam soupy pork dumplings.

Ms.Zoe

No, Banh It Tran Man is made with glutinous flour & have mung bean or mung bean with ground meat as fillings; Banh Beo is made with rice flour & have no fillings.

I think I need to make a disclaimer on first page lol. I have no intentions to make anyone hungry lol.

Ncmeowmeow35 said:
Isn't that the same as bahn beo but just formed in a ball? Oh man you're making me hungry and all I had today was coffee and crumpets lol.

Ms.Zoe

No, you made Banh Beo right.

Banh It Dau - the sweet type of Banh It, it has mung bean paste as fillings & it is wrapped with banana leaves.

Banh It Dua - another sweet type of Banh It, it has shredded coconuts as fillings & it also is wrapped with banana leaves. Sometimes the fillings have peanuts too.

Cr to rightful owners

Ncmeowmeow35

sarNie Oldmaid
Oooo i had those once when I went to do merit at a laos temple in Texas, it was so good! I didn't know it was a vietnamese sweets.

Ms.Zoe

Maybe Loatian people have a dessert like sweet Banh It too. Yup! They are yummy. I bought them at the market, they are not made by the market but by the people who brought them to the market & the market bought them from these people. They are tough to make. My mom does not make them, she makes Banh Bao (Vietnamese Steamed Buns), the sweet type though. We could eat them on days we could not eat meats hehehe.

Ms.Zoe

I think Thai's version is khanom thien? :)

I don't know how to cook pho too because I never cook it but I think I could if I try to lol. For sure I know how to eat it lol.

Banh Bao coming soon lol :)