Let's Eat & Drink - Vietnamese Cuisine, Foods & Drinks (˘▽˘)っ♨ & (*^◇^)_旦

Ms.Zoe

.: Lady Huo :.
There is this other restaurant called Saigon Block, it is not in the Dallas area but close to it. I eat this dish every time I come by there.

Fried Fish Spring Rolls

Cr to rightful owner

Ms.Zoe

I love eating this dish hot with hot white rice.

Caramelized Pork and Eggs (Vietnamese: Thịt Kho Tàu, literally translated as Braised Meat in Light Sauce) is a Vietnamese traditional food consisting of marinated pork and boiled eggs braised in coconut juice.

With Vietnamese Pickled Mustard Greens. When I eat this dish, I like to pour the juice over the rice & eat with tomato and cucumber slices too.

Cr as tagged & to rightful owners

Ms.Zoe

It does lol...Yummy, Vietnamese Banh Mi :yummy:.

cecilia said:
Bo Chien Bo reminds me of Korean BBQ .. yum!

I'm going to Milwaukee tonight so I look forward to enjoying some Vietnamese sandwiches  :)

cecilia

Staff member
Ncmeowmeow35 said:
Oo let me know where there is a good place because I'll be there Sunday night, Monday, and Tuesday.
The Korean restaurant is called STONE BOWL GRILL and the Thai restaurant is called Thai BBQ .. there's a pho place too .. I think it's called California Pho or something like that. There are some deli stores in the Milwaukee's Asian Market place. I like the Vietnamese sandwich and papaya salad from there. I hope you enjoy your time there :)

Anyway, this video remains me of how I cook on whatever I find left in the fridge -- just toss everything in lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoM-QBG1jgM

Ms.Zoe

Whenever I have leftovers, I just cook noodles with them lol. It is a lot easier & tastier to eat leftovers in liquidy form except those leftovers that are not good to cook with noodles. For those leftovers, I find other cooking methods to make them more eatable lol.

Ms.Zoe

I am craving for this dessert since my mom said she will make it because she knew a few tricks on how to make it delicious after watching a tutorial show of it.

It is called Banh Cam or Banh Ran.

I will be back to talk about this Banh more.

Cr to rightful owners

cecilia

Staff member
I know how to make sesame balls lol -- They're the best!

Maya_Fantasy

sarNie Oldmaid
OMG those sesame balls look delicious.  :yummy:   I want some now, I bought some from Cambodia store last week, it taste terrible and it was so hard. :sick:

:shock2:  CC I'm moving closer to you so you can make me some.  :thumbsup:

:yes:  I really wanted to try to make them, but I read some of the comment online they says if you don't know how to fries them they can exploded, so how do you fry them without them exploding on you?

cecilia

Staff member
Maya, you should :)  I like to cook -- do it all the time when my friends are over. Sometimes, pack them when they leave because I can make too much if I'm into cooking lol Speaking of the sesame balls, I have never have it exploded on me yet ... My tip is to always turn it to even out the color. I like my filling with mung bean or shredded coconut. I make my differently but this lady did a good job with her recipe if you're interested: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmZoeRDIq9E

Maya_Fantasy

sarNie Oldmaid
Ooohhh thank you, that looks so good, thank you for the video.  I actually have almost all of the ingredients on hands, except potato starch and vanilla sugar, hmm wonder if I can just add vanilla extract instead.

Maybe I'll try it this weekend.  Let you know if I did and how it turn out lolz. I like it thin and crispy, and less sweet.

So fry it at medium heat, and trick is to turn them often. Got it :D

How is yours recipe differ from this one? Is the flour out layer thinner or thicker?  :) 

cecilia

Staff member
I use the same kind of flour with a coconut paste .. I dont' have the ingredient here so I can't tell you exactly what it is. Good luck with yours! I'm excited to see the result -- bet it's going to be super crispy and crunchy.  

Maya_Fantasy

sarNie Oldmaid
Will definitely try it... I'm crazy when it comes to dessert, like to try/cook different stuffs, then once I know how to do them, I don't eat it.   :facepalm:  I'm weird like that. 

Finally got my lotus cookies down to a science :pervie:  and it uses to be my favorites love to buy them all the time, now I made them then I gave it all way.  Moving on to the next recipe, OK sesame balls next. :rockon:

What is a coconut paste?

byebye

sarNie OldFart
Ms.Zoe said:
I have not ate Bun Moc (Vietnamese Pork and Mushroom Noodle Soup) in a while. It is a light Northern Vietnamese dish. It is a fast, easy & delicious dish to cook & enjoy. I love mushrooms & this dish is cooked with or without mushrooms :yummy:.

With mushrooms

How do you make the first dish since you say it's easy. I want to make some.sort of noodles but don't know how to cook at all. I would love something easy that doesn't require a lot of ingredients. My friend is an amazing cook but when I asked her how to cook a dish I like...she list all these ingredients after the 3rd one I gave up.

cecilia

Staff member
^LOL Bye, I'm not sure how to make that dish but from the look of it .. it seems to have kepong noodle (not vermicelli) with steam pork meatloaf, scallion onion, and dried shrimp. Not sure how the broth is made .. probably just pork or veggie? 

Maya, I'm not sure how to describe it lol I have to see the small can to you exactly what it is ... I remember how it smells lol Also, sometimes I'm like you .. got full from the smell that when I'm done cooking I lost my appetite for it -- usually heavy food lol

byebye

sarNie OldFart
I think the broth is the most important. I can get the noddles because I see them all the time. But unless the broth turn out good nothing matters. The

The other day, I wanted to make porridge with pork...dried shrimp, salted radish...well, my friend started to tell me what I needed to do after the third instructions I told her I was lost. I wrote it down still didn't know what I was supposed to do lol. I seriously think I don't have the talent to cook :(

cecilia

Staff member
I don't like too big of an ingredient list too .. the most I can do is 15 ingredients lol

I like to make chicken broth for my kepong noodle. I don't add the meatloaf .. I usually add slice of chicken, chicken gizzard, banana flower, cilantro, scallion onion, limes, and pepper flakes. It's very light and delicious .. simple to make too lol

Ms.Zoe

My quick ways to make Bun Moc:

Ingredients:
1. Broth - I use Swanson chicken broth
2. Pork Paste - I buy it at the Asian market
3. Pork Sausage Loaf - I buy it at the Asian market
4. Chopped Fresh Scallions
5. Chopped Fried Shallots
6. Chopped Cilantro
7. Slices of Onions
8. Rice Vermicelli
9. Seasonings - fish sauce, salt, pepper

Shape the pork paste into small balls (defrost it the night before & you could season it a little bit). Boil the broth, once it is boiling, put in the pork paste balls, cook them for 15 mins (time varies on their sizes) but one way to know if they are cooked is see if they float (when they are raw, they sink at bottom of pot). When the pork paste balls are cooked, you could taste the broth & add seasonings to fit your taste. Have the pork sausage loaf at room temperature, cut it into small thin slices. Once you have your bowl of hot rice vermicelli ready, pour the broth & pork paste balls into the bowl, add in slices of pork sausage loaf, cilantro, shallots, scallions, onions...And Enjoy :lol:.

For a more detailed & advanced Bun Moc, below is the recipe :).

Bun Moc Vermicelli Pork Shiitake Mushroom Soup

•4 lbs. pork ribs (cut into 2-3 inch pieces) or you can also use combination of ribs and bone
•1.5-2 cups of dried shiitake mushrooms

•1/2 cup wood ear fungus strips
•1 12oz container of pork paste (this is commonly found in your Asian Grocery--if frozen, defrost in the fridge the night before--this is commonly already pre-seasoned)
•1 tbs pepper
•salt

•fish sauce

•1 package of vermicelli noodles
•1 cha lua (pork sausage loaf) cut into thin pieces and also commonly found in Asian Groceries either wrapped in banana leaves or aluminum foil

•beansprouts
•cilantro, thinly chopped

•scallions, thinly chopped
•chili garlic sauce

In large stock pot, place the pork ribs/bones with enough water to cover and bring to boil for about 5 minutes or so. The gunk will surface from the ribs. Empty the water and wash the ribs/bones with cold water. Also wash the pot to get the residue off the side or have a second pot with hot water ready. Place the cleaned ribs/bones into the pot and cover with about 4 qts of water or so. Bring to boiling again, occasionally skimming any left over residue, and turn heat to low and simmer.

In the meantime, soak the wood ear fungus and shiitake mushrooms in separate bowls of warm water for about 15 min. Remove the woodear fungus, squeeze out the water and coarsely chop. Mix this along with the black pepper into the pork paste and set aside in the fridge.

Boil another pot of water to make the vermicelli noodles. Cut the cha lua, scallions, and cilantro and set aside.

After simmering the stock for about 1. 5 hrs, add the shitake mushrooms along with the water it was soaked in and continue on low heat for about another 30 minutes. Season broth with salt and/or fish sauce. Both the pork ribs and shitake mushrooms should be very tender. If you used pork bones, you can strain and discard.

When you're ready to serve, bring the pot to boil again and use a wet spoon or wet hands to form small pork paste balls as these only take 3-4 minutes to cook. Ladle the soup with tender ribs, shiitake and pork paste balls over vermicelli noodles and serve with beansprouts and dab of chili garlic.

Recipe from Ravenous Couple

Maya_Fantasy

sarNie Oldmaid
cecilia said:
Maya, you should :)  I like to cook -- do it all the time when my friends are over. Sometimes, pack them when they leave because I can make too much if I'm into cooking lol Speaking of the sesame balls, I have never have it exploded on me yet ... My tip is to always turn it to even out the color. I like my filling with mung bean or shredded coconut. I make my differently but this lady did a good job with her recipe if you're interested: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmZoeRDIq9E

I was checking my pantry and I actually have 2 new bags of potato starch. Must have got it awhile back when I was making steam rice rolls lolz  totally forgot about it. I didn't have vanilla sugar, so I uses a drop of jasmine extract instead.  Didn't feel like using vanilla extract.  I'm making this now, will be back in couple of hours with the results. :dance1:

Maya_Fantasy

sarNie Oldmaid
Maya_Fantasy said:

I was checking my pantry and I actually have 2 new bags of potato starch. Must have got it awhile back when I was making steam rice rolls lolz  totally forgot about it. I didn't have vanilla sugar, so I uses a drop of jasmine extract instead.  Didn't feel like using vanilla extract.  I'm making this now, will be back in couple of hours with the results. :dance1:

Feedback on my first tries making Sesame Ball:

:cry:  OK I'm sad to report that I failed somewhat on my first tried.  :cry:    Made sweet filling and savory filled because some people in my family can't have sugar.

Not sure what I did wrong, I followed the video and also the recipe to a "T" but still failed.  Wondering if hot/cool water has anything to do with it? Because I saw some people uses hot water instead of cold or warm.

So far I knows that the sugar water actually helps the dough to hold it together and also when fries them it won't cracked or exploded.  BECAUSE I made 8 balls for test run, 2 exploded, 2 cracked (these 4 doesn't have sugar in the dough) , 4 good (because 2 each of these has sugar in the dough, one dough mix has 1/4 c. and the other has 1/2c sugar)

Another things, the dough is too thick/hard/chewing once cooked (I should have guess from the recipe that it will not be light and crispy dough that I like, because of combination of regular rice flour and wheat starch in there)

And when I fries them it doesn't float well and it doesn't spin like in the video, also it does not puffs up into round balls either.  So I definitely did something to the dough to make it a major failed. LOLz

Still has plenty of filling left... so I got to search for different recipe and do a second test run in few hours... will update on that one too. :tearybye:

Ms.Zoe

More on Banh Cam/Banh Ran...

You may be surprised why there are two names for this dessert, well from what I know Southern Vietnamese people call it Banh Cam, the word Cam by itself does not have any meanings, it has to go along with another word for it to have meanings such as the color orange and an orange. In this case, this dessert's shape looks like an orange therefore it is called Banh Cam.

The Northern Vietnamese people call it Banh Ran. I will have research on why they call it this name. Banh Ran's shape is not all rounded, it is flat but not completely flat.

Banh Ran's shape

Banh Cam in purple colors, wow!

The endless fillings lol

Mung bean & coconut

Purple yam fillings