Nothing is Eternal

jjinxx

Is your "nom" Fai-approved?
Chapter 8

Sasithorn stared in stunned silence after witnessing the trio—Ratree, Athit and Plerng—complete the “Lamaze” class Plerng had designed. The moment she’d met Plerng and learned he was the “midwife,” she’d been in too deep a state of shock to give a reaction. Halfway through the session, she was confused with her own feelings, seeing Plerng’s competence while not able to accept such a bizarre arrangement of him being an unofficial doctor.

Now that the class was over, her voice recovered.

“How old are you again?”

Plerng pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose in a half geeky, half childish manner. “Twenty-six ma’am.”

“Sasi, didn’t I say he’s my friend from school?” Ratree said in exasperation, knowing full well the disapproval that would follow.

“And? Why would you come here for medical care?” Then she turned to Athit. “WHY did you bring my sister here? Why didn’t you take her to an actual hospital?” She sighed and mumbled, “I knew I couldn’t rely on you…”

As afore mentioned, Athit didn’t find Plerng completely unworthy of this task, but he had actually been hoping Sasithorn would help him convince Ratree to see an actual doctor at least once. However, Athit did not appreciate her blame because after all, he was doing his best to provide everything she needed. “I’ll have you know that Plerng is the best in Thailand!”

Ratree and Plerng both stared in awe at his declaration.

Sasithorn scoffed. “If this is the best of your judgment, I won’t leave my sister’s medical necessities to you. No offense,” she said aside to Plerng, who brightly replied, “None taken.”

Ratree watched the two of them bicker, becoming alert to something interesting. She knew Athit had become used to her stubbornness and Plerng’s personality, without giving up completely on getting her to go to a big hospital. Yet with Sasithorn’s criticism, he had done a complete 180. The two of them were such obvious rivals that she felt sure she could use this to her advantage.

She cut into the ongoing argument. “You two, I’m sticking with Plerng, so there’s no point in arguing. Sasi, if you don’t like it here, you may leave.”

Sasithorn forced herself to hold in her flow of objections. “I’m staying.” She glowered at Athit, who eyed her with infuriation. She was used to being in control of the situation, but he too was someone used to authority, and though he had set that aside temporarily to accompany Ratree, it aggravated him to no ends to have him deemed incompetent by anyone.

Driving back to the apartment, Sasithorn asked Ratree, “Does he have that much time on his hands?” referring to Plerng’s accurate knowledge and adept skill with prenatal care.

“Plerng is good at everything. Besides, I’m receiving his help free of charge, so don’t badmouth him.” She sat up in the car as they passed a small night market. “I want to go there!”

Athit followed her gaze from the back seat at the night fair. There was a crowd milling about with game booths and food for sale along the colorful lit up street. “It’s getting late. We should just go back.”

“It’s not that late yet,” Ratree argued. “Besides, there’s nothing for us to do. Can we please?”

The car stopped and they got out.

Sasithorn crossed her arms. “There’s probably nothing interesting here Ratree. And you’d get tired walking around.”

While Athit was scoping the street out, Ratree leaned towards her sister. “Sasi, let’s stay na? You now, Athit doesn’t let me do anything because he’s overly worried. Don’t you think that’s silly?”

Just as Ratree expected, Sasithorn frowned at the unaware Athit. He didn’t know what he was doing, she affirmed silently, suddenly taking back her earlier decision to get back to the apartment early.

When he turned back to the women, she confronted him. “I’m taking Ratree through the market.”

He grew grim. “I thought you didn’t want to stay. We should really get back. It might be dangerous.”

She didn’t get what he meant and didn’t see anything dangerous at all with the silly fair. “There are plenty of lights here. What’s the big deal? Besides, exercise is better for her. We’re going. You stay if you don’t want to come along.” She and Ratree made for the crowd. Athit pursed his lips and followed closely behind them.

Ratree was amused by everything, from the clowns to the games and her face lit up the evening as brightly as the moon’s light. Athit found himself drawn to the trifle entertainment too, though every now and then he made sure to look around and kept them from getting too close to other people. Though he had objected before to them being there, he didn’t refuse anything Ratree wanted, whether it was toys or candy. He even played a dart game to win Ratree a teddy bear.

“Tch, what a show-off,” Sasithorn muttered, while Ratree cheered in victory before tugging Athit by the hand to look at a jewelry collection, leaving Sasithorn to trail behind.

“You like them?” Athit asked.

Ratree held up two, a silver chain with an angel wing pendant embedded with a rhinestone and a second with a heart pendant. “Which one is prettier?”

He tapped his chin. “Hmm…this one,” he pointed to the one with angel wings. “I’ll get it for you.” He glanced over to Sasithorn. “Would you like one too?”

She eyed the cheap necklaces with distaste. “No thank you.” She looked away arrogantly with her chin up. What was he trying to do, pleasing her with gifts? He obviously only wanted to look good in front of Ratree, she thought, resenting how he took up all of her sister’s attention. So much for helping her.

“Nah, I’ll get you one. It’ll be my first present to you as my sister-in-law,” he grinned cheekily, enjoying her annoyance. Deliberating amongst the choice of necklaces, Athit’s eyes landed on a pink enameled rose hanging from a silver necklace. His fingers scooped it up for a closer inspection, and he decided in favor of it.

While he was paying, Sasithorn decided to steal some of Ratree’s time. “Ratree, wanna go look at the other merchandise?”

She nodded. A little boy ran into Ratree’s legs and adorably apologized. “It’s okay darling. Here.” She handed him her glow stick. His mom came up after him and thanked her and while the two conversed, Athit stood to her side and Sasithorn glanced off at the other people around. She didn’t notice more teenagers rushing in her direction, laughing hysterically amongst themselves, until they shoved her and Athit out of the way. Her high heel caught a crack in the side walk and sent her sprawling to the ground.

“Ow…”

Athit had met the same unfortunate fate, feeling his arm throb from the fall. He felt something tickle his cheek—it was Sasithorn’s lashes fluttering her eyes open. They were heaped in a mess on the ground, he saw, as he pushed himself up, and found his hand that had protected her head was tangled by her long hair. He’d never seen Sasithorn without her hair meticulously twisted up and now it was all loose, trailing along her shoulders, until she stood up.

“You ok?”

“Yeah,” she dusted her skirt.

“Were you hurt?” Ratree asked frantically.

“No—“

“Sasithorn fell really hard,” Athit interrupted, “I’m afraid she might be injured.”

Ratree turned her attention to a surprised sister, who glanced at Athit, confused. Hadn’t she just told him she was fine? Especially since he’d prevented her from any serious impact.

“Where? Sasi, where does it hurt?” Ratree was anxiously turning her sister to and fro.

“Um, I…”

“Her back must ache. Falling like that won’t be easy on an aging woman’s back,” Athit offered his suggestions, earning a scowl from Sasithorn for his jab. “She should rest at our place tonight.”

This succeeded in wiping the glare from her eyes, as she realized he was actually trying to help her.

“Is your back bruised? Can you walk ok?” Ratree asked.

“Ah…Oh, right! OW!” Sasithorn hissed in mimicking pain, placing her hand on her hips. She stretched to her left and groaned. “It really hurts.”

“Why don’t we all go back to the apartment? It’s getting late and Sasithorn shouldn’t drive all the way home when she’s hurt.”

“Should we see a doctor? Oh! Or take her to Plerng?”

“No no!” Sasithorn waved in rejection. “I really would just like some rest. But,” she tried to humbly lower her head, “if it’s too much trouble for you two to have me stay over, I understand.”

“We don’t mind. Come on…”

“Move.”

Athit raised a brow at the curt command. “Excuse me?”

“I’m sleeping there.”

“But aren’t you sleeping with Ratree?”

“No, I’ll be perfectly comfortable out here.” She was referring to the sofa that Athit had already supplied with his blanket and pillow that was used every night—this was not common knowledge to Sasithorn, of course.

“Go ahead and sleep in the bedroom.”

“I wouldn’t want to intrude any further than I already have.” She primly plumped up the pillow.

“Don’t worry about that. Just get some rest.”

“No, I’m the guest and I’ll sleep out here.”

“Being the guest, you should sleep on the bed.”

“If this is some kind of chivalry, I’ll spare you the duty. What, you think my aging back can’t handle the sofa?” she asked with a bite of resentment, which he turned away to chuckle at.

“I’m serious. Just go to bed.”

“I repeat, I’ll stay out here,” she replied, clearly losing her patience.

“Maybe I should sleep out here and you both can sleep in the bedroom.”

They turned to see Ratree’s impish smile that reflected the mischief in her words.

“Ratree!” They both said, not the least bit amused, though for different reasons-- that Athit would not tolerate Ratree losing comfort, while Sasithorn was outraged at both that AND the idea of sharing a room with her ‘brother-in-law.’

“Just kidding,” she giggled.

“I don’t appreciate your humor. Will you get him away already? I’d like to sleep now,” Sasithorn snatched the blanket from his hand.

“Come on Athit.”

His jaw dropped. “W-what? You want me to…to…”

“Sasi will be fine, I’m sure. We should all get some sleep now.”

“But—“

“Argh, will you stop arguing?” Sasithorn barked from under the blanket. “Turn off the light when you leave.”

Ratree gestured Athit to leave so he was left with no choice.

“Ratree…”

“She’s trying to thank you.”

He turned to see her smirking eyes. “What do you mean?”

“Sasithorn seems like she’s being stubborn, but she’s just trying to make it up to you for helping her earlier.”

So that was why she was so insistent on sleeping out on the couch. Little did she know that she was not doing him any favor, Athit shook his head.

“I’ll sleep down here,” Athit said when Ratree peered curiously at him spreading a blanket and pillow on the floor.

She laughed softly. “You don’t have to do that. Come on up here.”

Surprised, he was at a loss for words, which made her laugh again. “I don’t mind, honestly. Unless it’s awkward for you, it doesn’t matter that we sleep on the same bed. Besides, I owe you for dragging you into this charade in front of my sister.”

He shrugged. “If it really doesn’t bother you.” He had to admit, floors weren’t his thing.

The two lay side by side, looking up at the ceiling.

“Athit?”

“Hm?”

“Is it okay if I hold your hand?”

He was not too surprised, but instead, touched by her request and he answered honestly, “Yeah.”

Her slender fingers slipped around his hand and he slightly curved his palm.

“Thanks.”

“Don’t mention it.”

“You make me feel safe, just like Tawan did. He was…” she smiled in the dark, “he was my favorite person in the world.”

The corner of his lips curved too, hearing her girlish declaration towards his cousin. It couldn’t be said that he and Tawan were ever awarded such honorable titles. There were few who would mourn for them out of true loving care. “He was a pretty good guy.”

“Athit…I think you’re a pretty good guy too. You just don’t know it.”

Seconds of silence ticked by as he absorbed her words with a twinge of yearning for them to be true. Was he really a good guy? Ratree’s even breathing told him she was asleep, so he didn’t ask for any reiteration.
------
jjinxx

Vimalee

Live Love Laugh
:heart: :heart: :heart: ........I'm loving this storyline and thanks for another awesome update!

jjinxx

Chapter 9

“Where did Athit go?”

“He just left for work.”

“Oh? Uh, hold on a second, ok? I forgot something in my car.” Sasithorn hurried down the stairs of the complex and out the entrance. She scanned the street, jogging down a little.

“Ahem.”

Sasithorn froze, and tried to casually turn around. “I thought Ratree said you were going to work.”

Arms crossed coolly, Athit answered, “I thought we agreed you would stop stalking?”

She bit back a retort. “I wasn’t stalking. As if I had enough free time to stalk you. I’m just going to my car to get my…my cell phone. I’m expecting a call from a coworker.”

Just then, a tune rang from her pocket. She looked down guiltily. Athit simply waited expectantly.

“Oh, ah, I…I guess I had it all along.” She pulled out her phone to silence the ringing. “Don’t let me keep you from your work.” She turned on her heel and headed back fast to the apartment as Athit sighed.

------
“Is that really necessary? If you need anything, I can get it for you,” Sasithorn said the next morning.

Ratree stubbornly stood her ground. “I want to go to the water market.”

“But why? There’s not much there, it’s just toys and food and cheap clothing for tourists.”

“Well I don’t exactly have a ton to spend at malls.”

“But I can,” Sasithorn repeated. “It’s ok to ask for help, you know.”

“I understand, and I truly appreciate it Sasi, but it’s not necessary to spend so much. I’d like to go to the local places.”

Sasithorn eyed Athit with exasperation, asking for help—just as Ratree knew she would. Previously, Athit hadn’t wanted her shopping cheaply.

Instead of assisting Sasithorn’s argument, Athit said, “You know what, it’s not such a bad idea. Let’s go to the market.”

“But—“

“Sasithorn, it’s not a big deal. If Ratree likes going there then that’s where we’ll go.” He stood tall, the very image of unyielding grace. “Besides, if there’s anything else I feel she needs, I’m perfectly capable of getting it myself. Thanks.”

Ratree triumphantly smiled to herself.

Athit and Sasithorn once more bickered back and forth until Ratree was fed up and put her foot down.

Athit, Ratree and Sasithorn arrived at the water market. Ratree gazed longingly at the waterways where people were boarding their boats to get taken around the market. She turned to Athit with wide doe eyes, but he looked back at her sternly, so she lowered her head in disappointment.

“Aren’t we going on a boat?” Sasithorn asked.

“The sun’s too bright and there won’t be any shade out there,” Athit said, “Come on there’s plenty to see on land.” He took Ratree’s wrist and led them towards some of the merchants.

“Look!” Ratree released the straw in her mouth that was stuck in a coconut, picking up a feathery fan. “This is pretty!” Tilting the brim of the hat Athit had purchased earlier for her, she batted her lashes from behind the fan, making him laugh.

What a silly toy, Sasithorn thought.

“I’ll get it for you.”

“Really!? Thanks Athit!”

To Sasithorn’s dismay, Ratree giddily swished her fan around, making Sasithorn wish she had bought it for her sister first. They’d been shopping around for an hour with Ratree skipping here and there like a child and Athit spoiling her like a father, leaving Sasithorn feeling left out—or worse, like the no-fun mother.

She asked, “Ratree, are you hungry?”

“Now that you mention it, I am!”

“Let’s go to one of the restaurants,” Athit said before Sasithorn could get in a word. They sat down and were served. Athit’s cell phone rang and he looked at them. “I’ll be right back, ok? Stay here.”

“Hmph. Who is he to order us around,” Sasithorn said under her breath. “Mm…Ratree?”

“Hm?” she asked, eating her noodles.

“So I’ve been wondering…what exactly is Athit’s work? I was just curious.”

“He runs a business.”

Amazed at hearing the same vague answer, Sasithorn persisted. “Is that what he tells you? And you don’t want to know anything more? I mean, like, the details of his job?”

Ratree shrugged. “Not really.”

Her sister scoffed. “But what if he’s, I dunno, doing something illegal or…” she trailed off, meeting Ratree’s narrowed gaze.

“Look, what he does is none of our business.”

“But that’s ridiculous. He’s your boyfriend, right?”

Ratree realized her words weren’t that of a girlfriend. She knew she had no right to be against what Athit did as a living, but in front of her sister, she had to act a bit more involved in his life. “I meant…it’s none of your business. And if you can’t be around someone important to me without judging him then it would be better if you didn’t—“

“No no! I wasn’t judging him. I was just curious.” Sasithorn sunk in her chair. She didn’t want Ratree to kick her out of her life again. “Oh! If there’s anything you see that you like, I’ll get it for you, ok Ratree?” she perked up with a bright smile. However that Athit filled up his wallet, she wasn’t going to sit around and let him shower her own sister with more gifts than herself.

Ratree glanced at the river. “There is something.”

“What is it!?”

“I want to ride the boats around the market but…Athit won’t let me.”

“Why not?” Sasithorn demanded with indignation.

“He thinks it’s dangerous. But the boats are the best part of the market. I really want to ride them. Will you come with me on one so that Athit won’t worry?”

“Geeze, how overbearing; he doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Let’s go Ratree!” they wouldn’t be able to accuse her of not allowing Ratree any freedom.

Athit returned to find their table deserted. Looking around in alarm, he heard his name.

“Athit!”

There was Ratree waving at him from the boat. “Ratree!” He ran over but the boat had already taken off. “Ratree!”

“Don’t worry! Sasi will take good care of me. I’ll get you something nice ok?” She smacked her lips against her fingers and tossed him an air kiss. He sighed with discontent and caught Sasithorn’s smug look.

Sasithorn happily held up a mini battery-ran fan to keep Ratree cool as she snacked on some fruits. The little sister looked up around her and smiled at everyone and everything.

“Remember when we came here with mom and dad a long time ago?” Ratree murmured, sunlight bronzing her cheeks.

Sasithorn contemplated those memories, so distant from the present. “And soon, you’ll have your own baby to feed and bathe and bring out to explore.” She glanced uneasily across at her sister. “Am I really that demanding? Am I really that hard to live with?”

Ratree eyed her sympathetically. “I don’t hate you, just so you know. But we’re just different. I don’t get why you keep trying to force us together when it would be better to have that space. It doesn’t mean I love you any less.”

To her amusement and surprise, Sasithorn actually pouted. “But you love that Athit more than me.”

“That’s not true. I love you both equally.” She could honestly say this because Ratree was the type who was prone to loving and trusting others easily.

“How did you two even meet? In school?”

“Meet who?” Ratree asked, having been distracted by a display of trinkets.

“Him. The father of your child.”

Ratree indulged in a secretive smile because her sister had unsuspectingly described a completely different man from whom she thought. So Ratree nodded, “I just met him on the subway home. He was very gentlemanly and said he’d noticed me for a while and finally had the courage to ask me on a date.” Once that initial meeting was over, Ratree easily told her sister stories of the sweet man who had won her heart, his persistent and tender wooing, though she was sad Sasithorn would never know the full extent of the man she loved. She would have liked for them to meet at least once.

Sasithorn wondered if she was perceiving things wrong. Why did Ratree sound …sad when speaking about her boyfriend? Was he not there with her today, waiting on her hand and foot? Perhaps she was just being nostalgic.

“Anyway,” Ratree continued brightly, “I would really like it if you two got along better.”

“Oh, but he’s so insufferable,” Sasithorn groaned. “But I’ll try…” After all, he had helped her reunite with Ratree on a good note.

“Let’s go back before he worries.”

“Why is he so paranoid?”

“You have to know him well to understand why he’s overprotective. Athit has lost many loved ones before.”

“…Oh,” Sasithorn thoughtfully mulled over this revelation. “Oh!”

Ratree was just reaching for some instruments displayed on the open wooden shelves but two boats rushed towards them, forcing their rower to push away from the display suddenly. Sasithorn quickly grabbed onto her sister to keep her from lurching overboard. They clutched the sides as the boats of some rowdy tourists had sandwiched them on either side, bumping and rocking their boat dangerously.

“Ratree!” she cried, “Are you ok? Are you hurt? I’m so sorry.”

“I’m okay,” Ratree gasped, frightened from the sudden motions and rocking.

“Row carefully please!”

“I’m trying miss,” their rower waited for the boats to pass and theirs settled calmly upon the water again.

“Darn foreigners,” she said, “no sense of safety. Are you ok, Ratree?”

Ratree stroked her pregnant stomach, as though soothing her child. “I’m ok. Are we almost done? I’m getting really hot out here.”

When the boat was docked, Athit was there to help Ratree out and safely on dry land. Sasithorn scornfully watched, still peeved by his overbearing manners over Ratree. When he turned to her and extended a helping hand, their eyes met and she could see his hard disapproval, telling her he had witnessed the boats run into each other—she looked away with a drop of guilt. Even though it hadn’t been something she could prevent, she knew they both were worried about Ratree’s well-being.

Sasithorn refused his hand and got out by herself. Unfortunately, her nimble foot caught on top of her long skirt, propelling her forward, ending up flat on her face.

“Sasi!” Ratree exclaimed with a hand over her mouth.

“Ah…” she pried herself up, hissing in pain, before noticing the hand that was once again offering aid. Sasithorn scrambled to her feet, sighing huffily. “Why must I always get caught in accidents when you’re around?”

“This is because of me?” he raised a brow at her accusation. “Miss, have you heard of karma?”

“Are you saying I deserve all this because I’m a bad person?”

He only gave her another arch look, as if to say, You know the answer, before leading the way out of the market.

They had agreed to have Sasithorn spend another evening with them, so she followed them back into the apartment.

“You don’t look so good,” Athit patted Ratree’s forehead.

“I’m tired after today’s excursion,” she said. She yawned and flexed her arms in front of her, trying to cool herself.

“I told you not to go out in the sun,” he shook his head. “Go lay down.”

“Is Ratree not feeling well?” Sasithorn asked.

“I think the heat was too much for her,” he replied. “Leave this to me.”

The bags full of fresh fruits were lifted out of Sasithorn’s hands by Athit. She entered the kitchen after him and intended to help clear up what little messes there were but he stepped in front of her.

“I can clean this up. Go.”

Pressing her lips into a thin line, she replied, “I’ll help.”

He ignored her, much to her irritation.

Hands on her hips, she maneuvered past him and was about to unload the dishwasher when his hand fell upon the counter in front of her.

“That won’t be necessary. You’ve done enough for today.”

Incensed by the accusation she could hear in his words, she took one step forward to confront him. “I don’t know who you think you are but I don’t like being treated with that condescending attitude.”

Athit scoffed. “Ironic, considering you’re the most condescending and obstinate person here. Ratree was right.”

She followed him into the living room where he picked up the instruction manual for building the crib that they had bought earlier that week. “Right about what?” she demanded. When he didn’t respond, she snatched the manual from him.

He rounded on her. “I understand now why she wanted to live on her own. You always have to have things your way. You don’t even stop to consider the risks of your actions.”

“You’re the one who’s being demanding, always keeping her cooped up here. She isn’t even allowed to lift a finger!”

“I’m taking care of her to the best of my abilities and yet you come in here and think just because you’re a woman you know so much more than me?” he frowned fiercely at her when she bristled. This was his first time so clearly angry at her and she felt the need to defend herself. “You know what could have happened today.”

“I—“ she paused, knowing it was her fault, “but it’s not like I can predict what happens! I just want her to be happy.”

“I know how to make her happy without endangering her! You think I keep her cooped up because I enjoy it? Don’t you understand why I don’t let her do certain things?”

“I didn’t do it on purpose!”

“Then is it just some competition you have with me?” He advanced intimidatingly towards her. “If so, you can stop butting in; I promised to help you patch things up with her but if you’re going to keep coming between us, stop--because I won’t tolerate the risk of getting her and the child hurt.”

“I don’t want them to get hurt either! They’re my family!”

“Then stop with your hard-headedness!” He pulled the manual back.

She refused to let go. “You’re always making me look bad but you’re just as stubborn and bossy! I’m so tired of you!”

“Then get out!”

They struggled back and forth for the manual.

“What are you two yelling for?”

They continued arguing.

Ratree stopped in shock at the sound of a crash. They had stumbled back towards the window, knocking over the row of potted tulips that tumbled helplessly to the floor. Dirt and shards of pottery littered their feet. The tulips lied pitifully amongst the dirt like little hearts that had ceased to pulse.

The two rivals froze in their battle stances as Ratree’s eyes filled with tears. “Don’t you know what those flowers mean to me? I’m so tired of you two and your fighting! I’m not some child for you to battle over who gets custody of me!” She walked away down to her room and closed the door.

“Great, look at what you did!” Sasithorn hissed quietly at Athit.

“Don’t pin the blame on me,” he glared back, before turning to the hallway again. Sasithorn watched his wrathful expression melt into despair and suddenly felt a twinge in her chest at the clear way he must be worried about having upset Ratree. She bit her lip uncomfortably. Had they taken things too far?

Ratree looked seriously angry, this time to the point that she might not forgive them—and for some reason Sasithorn was more worried about Ratree not forgiving Athit than for her own pardon.
She frowned. Why should she care? Maybe Ratree would break up with him then, and if they broke up, Ratree would return to be with her. But she knew even if some force in the world could break them up, she’d never be able to live with herself. Argh, why did she suddenly feel at fault here!? She silently fumed at herself while they both fixed up the living room. After they were done, Sasithorn left the apartment.

------A/N

jjinxx 

keylargo

sarNie Oldmaid
Thk u jjinxx for da great ff, ive njoyed alot, waiting patiently 4 next update and hope u give more yadechs sweetest n romance! Thk u 4 a v well written ff.

jjinxx

Chapter 10

The next day around noon, Sasithorn made up her mind to go to her sister. After she let herself into the apartment and ignored Athit, she purposefully turned towards the hall.

“Don’t knock.”

She looked over her shoulder. “Huh?”

Athit got up from the sofa. “Don’t knock on the door. It’ll disturb her.”

O…kay. Whatever, Sasithorn continued on to the bedroom and raised her hand. But she paused. Looking back towards the living room, she couldn’t see him. Why shouldn’t she knock? It was common courtesy, wasn’t it?

“Ratree?” she called softly. There was no answer. Sasithorn turned the knob and peered in before entering. There, she found her younger sister fast asleep. Tip-toeing out, Sasithorn floated in a trance to the kitchen where she frowned while watching Athit read a recipe book and clean vegetables at the same time.

“Can I help you?” He asked without raising his eyes.

“How did you know Ratree would be sleeping?” That was what he meant when he advised her about not disturbing Ratree.

“She always takes a nap before lunch.”

She was tempted to be irritated by how well he knew Ratree, but didn’t seem to have the energy for it that day. Why should she be surprised at this point?

True to his prediction, half an hour later, Ratree reappeared, ate solemnly, then returned to her sanctuary, leaving Sasithorn and Athit to wallow in their misery and shame.

“Will you be staying here all day?”

Sasithorn nodded, “Until she forgives me.” She expected him to object but he didn’t. Curious what he was so busy with, she turned sideways on the couch and watched him pack dirt into flowerpots. “What are you planting?”

“The flowers we killed.”

Well she wasn’t about to let him take all the credit. She went over and helped herself to the materials he had. He stopped her from taking a pot. She glared at him. For a few seconds, they silently and without movement, waged a war, until he huffed and let go. She planted her own seeds and covered it with dirt, adding it to the row lining the window sill.

After, dinner was a repeat of lunch, unsuccessfully gaining any of Ratree’s attention.

Night. The sky was filled with an inky color. Ratree got out of the shower and didn’t spare them a single look, though they both got up and tried to talk to her.

“She’s never going to forgive us.” Sasithorn planted herself on the sofa, crossing her arms. What was she going to do? She had just finally gained her sister’s friendship again and now this. “All because of some flowers?”

Athit looked at her sharply. “Those flowers are her favorites. She planted them with…” He stopped himself, while she looked at him, confused. He sighed deeply. He was worried enough without needing to let any secrets slip. Deciding there was only one last thing to try, Athit got up and picked up the forgotten guitar in the corner, brought it back and sat down again.

Nothing had prepared Sasithorn for the kind of music that flowed forth from the strings under Athit’s skillful fingers. She grew fascinated watching those fingers, but soon lost track of them as the melody took over. She didn’t understand it, because though the notes ringing in the air were melancholy, she felt soothed and uplifted. His song was almost like a lullaby.

Sasithorn looked up and to her amazement, Ratree was standing there, cheeks wet with tears but smiling earnestly. Athit stopped playing and set the instrument aside, whereupon Ratree hugged him tightly.

“Thank you Athit,” Ratree’s muffled voice said. He stroked the top of her head and sighed.

Sasithorn averted her eyes, though she found the scene quite heart-warming. It disturbed her, made her feel like she was intruding.

Ratree had invited Sasithorn to sleepover, and this time the sisters shared a bed, like when they were children, after their parents had gone.

During the night, rubbing her eyes sleepily, Sasithorn quietly sat up. Had she dreamed that Athit left the apartment? Tiptoeing out, she found the couch empty, pillow and blanket cold.

“So you’re here.”

Athit threw back a swallow of beer before looking up. Sasithorn stood before him in an old hoodie and sweats she had borrowed from her sister, looking rather unlike her usual polished self. “Are you still trying to catch me committing a crime?”

“Stealing, lying, selling drugs, I didn’t care what it was as long as I could prove that you were unworthy of Ratree. But,” she sat down with a resigned expression, “I bet she wouldn’t even be angry at you. To Ratree, you’re perfect. She loves you too much to be mad.”

They glanced at each other, free of resentment for once.

“Wanna join me?” he asked.

Sasithorn picked up a spoon and helped herself to the food on the table that stood close to the street. Then she placed it back down hard. Athit took a deep breath and braced himself for her true scolding, thinking he should have known things wouldn’t end this easily with her. She surprised him, however.

“I have to confess…the reason I disliked you at first was because I was jealous of you.”

He stopped mid-chew. “Why would you be jealous?” He eyed her closely, coming to his own realization. “You thought that she loved more than you?” The unhappy silence between them was her reply. He restrained a smirk at her naivety. “That’s impossible.”

“But!” Sasithorn adamantly refused to accept his simple proclamation, refused to be wrong even though she would have liked for his words to be true. “She doesn’t let me get close to her the way she does with you. She’s always taking your side and it’s clear how close you are. I was jealous because I wanted her to treat me that way.”

There was no simple way to refute this without revealing the deception of his and Ratree’s relationship.

“You don’t have to think that way. She’s your sister.”

“It’s not the same anymore. I’ve always taken care of her since we were young. Then our parents died and I made it my first priority to look after her. I know sometimes I was harsh but I want what’s best for her. Yet, the more I took care of her the more she pushed me away. I just don’t get it.”

Observing her inclined face and the downward droop of her brow, Athit again resisted the urge to chuckle at the pout that filled her lips. He felt admiration for her. He could relate to her feelings, the desire to protect and give everything to a sibling. It was exactly what he had done for Tawan.

He looked at Sasithorn under the illumination of the street lamps. The memory of their accident during the night fair flashed in his mind, of her hair soft like silk and face unguarded. She was actually a very strong woman.

“Maybe you both pushed each other away without meaning to. When you become responsible for someone, you feel you have to make decisions for them, right? And no matter how much you want to please them, you don’t want to stray from what you feel is the absolute best for them, because that makes you think you aren’t capable of caring for them. So when you became responsible for Ratree, you became the adult and she the child. But even though it’s an honorable duty, you must have forgotten that she needed you as a friend also.”

“You mean…”

“I noticed that Ratree doesn’t call you ‘p’.”

She poked at her plate. “Yeah, it’s always been like that.”

“So she’s never treated you like a sister, because you don’t act like one.”

Her brow creased.

“And like a parent, it would have been easy for you to forget that Ratree would eventually grow up. It’s not that she no longer needs you. It’s just that she’s not solely dependent on you anymore.” He sighed, berating himself for being so insensitive in his pursuit to take care of Ratree. It was Sasithorn’s right to want to take care of her sister too. “I’m sorry for being so harsh towards you.”

She was astonished by his apology, though it was no longer so hard for her to see that he was a man capable of expressing such sincerity. In fact, she knew in her heart, that she was growing to trust him and was grateful for his presence.

“Like I’ve been saying, you want to help her as much as I do. I was just angry because I don’t ever want to lose her or the child. I must protect them at all cost.”

Sasithorn recalled Ratree telling her that Athit had lost many loved ones. No wonder he was so strict. She should have realized how much they had in common, no matter how different their personalities were, or how quick she was to judge him.

Athit looked up at the intriguing sound of her sniffling. Seeing Sasithorn cry made him stutter. “What’s wrong?”

She wiped away her tears. “Nothing. Th-this food is too spicy.” After a few minutes, she said, “…Thank you.”

“What for?”

“Just…for inviting me to eat with you.”

He quirked one brow at her. “You’re welcome.”

When they were finished, they walked back side by side, a strange companionship hooking their steps in sync.

“So…” They both said at the same time.

“You first,” he said.

She had only wanted to break the silence and so was stuck for a moment. “Uh, thanks.”

He chuckled, “You already said that.”

“I mean…for keeping your word. For helping me with Ratree,” she added, “even though I must have been hard to get along with. We probably would have remained the same without you.”

“That wasn’t my doing. You don’t realize how much she misses you. I’m not a replacement for a sister like you.”

Though it was dark, and he wasn’t any more well groomed in his baggy clothing and the shadow of a beard on his jaw, Sasithorn’s heart fluttered several beats until her eyes left his face. What the hell?

“I’ll accept your thanks if you accept my gift.”

“What gift?” she asked.

He reached in his pocket and lifted out the necklace he had purchased at the fair, the rose dangling in front of her eyes. He shrugged modestly. “You don’t have to wear it if you don’t want to.”

She closed her fingers around it. “Hey, don’t take back gifts when it’s already in front of the receiver.”

He smiled, watching her touch the rose. “I picked it especially for you, you know.”

“Really? Why a rose?”

“I got Ratree a necklace with angel wings, because I’m sure she’s an angel that just got bored of heaven for a while and decided to come down here and make us all fall in love with her.” He caught her squinted face at his cheesy words and laughed. “And the rose is…it reminds me of you.”

They were underneath the light of the apartment’s entrance. Sasithorn peered up through her lashes at Athit. Was the night air warm suddenly? “Why is that?”

“Well,” he returned her gaze steadily, “it’s pretty…”

She gulped.

“…and it has thorns…” Then his eyes were lit with mischief. “Thorns that are sassy and a pain to deal with. And if your name was pronounced in English, it would be…Sassy Thorn.” He chuckled while, offended, she gaped at him.

“What!? That’s a hideous name!”

“I beg to differ. I think Sassy suits you just fine.”

She frowned fiercely. "Stupid!"

He gave it a moment's thought. "I kind of like that name. Come on Sassy."

“My name is Sasithorn!”

“That’s what I said…”

She grumbled and complained all the way to the door and when they were finally inside and he was still calling her ‘Sassy,’ she crossly stomped away from him.

“Hey, I was just kidding? See? See why your name is Sassy?” he teased. “Are you really mad?”

“Yes, and don’t think you’ll make me forgive you just by playing a few songs on a guitar. Stupid.”

He pressed his lips in a suppressed smile. “Not even if I wrote a song just for you?”

She gave him a doubtful look over her shoulder. “Are you capable?” she shook her head as she struggled to clasp the necklace around her neck.

“Here.” His hands were there, brushing the nape of her neck as he assisted and it was firmly in place.

Turning her head, the tip of her nose met Athit’s, and through the dim light, both recognized surprise on the other’s faces, while their breaths mingled.

The hall light flashed on. They froze in their awkwardly intimate position.

“What’s this? Did you two go out on a secret date without me?” Ratree said slyly, the hint of a smirk on her small mouth.

They took one look at each other before separating.

“Ratree! That is not funny at all!” Sasithorn felt her face flame up, and scolded fiercely to cover her embarrassment. “What has gotten into you? That’s not something to joke about.”

“Ok, calm down,” Ratree yawned.

“Why are you up?” Athit asked.

“I couldn’t sleep,” she softly rubbed her round stomach.

Concerned, he asked, “Are you feeling ok? Is the baby moving too much?”

She shook her head. “It’s nothing. Let’s go to sleep now.”

------

Athit watered the baby flowers on the sill. Sasithorn had brought some of her work to complete here and Ratree was taking a bubble bath. Suddenly, Athit looked up, heart racing. His brother’s voice was filling the apartment. When he slowly realized that the voice of Tawan that he was hearing was a recording, he stopped on his way to the bedroom, then continued slowly.

Sasithorn glanced over his shoulder when he came in.

“Oh, you.”

“…What are you listening to?”

She held up a cd. “I’ve never heard of him but it seems like Ratree really likes this guy. He sounds pretty good, don’t you think?” The song echoed acoustically from the cd player. “Heh, she might just fall in love with this guy if they ever meet,” Sasithorn teased with a smirk at Athit, “But I guess that’s not likely.”

“Hm…” He retreated from the bedroom, swallowing a sigh. Sasithorn had unwittingly played Tawan’s one and only album that had released before everything had spun into a mess. Hearing his brother’s voice so suddenly had shocked Athit, but he shouldn’t be so surprised. Ratree had been Tawan’s girlfriend, of course she would have supported him in his music aspirations, and then his decision to drop all of his past efforts. He clenched his hands tight.

“…so do you like the singer better or do you like that Athit better?” Sasithorn asked, coming into the living room with Ratree, who’s hair was still damp.

Ratree smiled cheekily, “I might like the singer a tiny bit more than Athit.”

“Ha,” Sasithorn looked triumphantly at Athit. When she turned away for a second, Athit and Ratree shared a conspiratorial smile. He gathered from her downcast eyes that she was also nostalgic after listening to Tawan’s song.

------A/N
thanks for reading!
jjinxx

Proomise

sarNie Egg
Thank you soo much for this lovely ff, I love it :)!! I really enjoy reading it (I just started and couldnt stop untill I saw it was your latest update) and I sure will patiently wait for your next update :) I like how every chapter/updates are very detailed described and long <3

jjinxx

Chapter 11

They just finished another appointment with Plerng, and the women were chatting in Plerng’s kitchen.

“Is there anything you want to tell me?” Athit had not missed Plerng’s minute change in energy level that day. “What is it?”

“I wish I could be sure, but I’ve already returned the sonogram so I might be overanalyzing. I recommend you bring Ratree to the hospital. Meet with my friend there. He’ll be able to make sure there’s nothing wrong.”

“Is there?” Athit asked, alarmed.

Plerng glanced at the doorway, Ratree’s and Sasithorn’s voices floating in. “I noticed she was moving stiffly today. And when I checked, it felt like there was an abnormal pressure on her stomach. I’m not willing to make any wild guesses but I don’t have a good feeling about this.”

Athit nodded. He was especially worried as the due date was looming in two months.

While Plerng was giving Ratree a taste of the pastries he’d baked, Athit shared Plerng’s concerns with Sasithorn.

“We must have her checked up immediately,” she said.

“Ratree? What is it?” They heard Plerng’s voice. Exchanging worried glances, they rushed back into the kitchen. Ratree was doubled over on her chair where Plerng knelt.

“Are you ok?”

Her eyes were squeezed shut, but she nodded to reassure them. “I’m ok.” Finally she looked up at them, a little out of breath. “Really. Don’t look so worried. I’m fine.” They weren’t sure whether to believe her--even they could tell that her smile, sweet and amused, had a slight strain to it, and her eyes appeared more tired than usual--but she ate what Plerng had prepared with a hearty appetite and chatted animatedly. “When we get back, can I go in to visit my boss? It’s been a while and I’d like to drop by.”

“After you eat,” Sasithorn said in motherly fashion.

Ratree rolled her eyes. “I know.”

The three of them were outside when Athit’s cell phone rang. “Yes?”

“Sir. They’re on to us,” Wattana said, “And they’ve sent a clear message that they don’t like us tailing them.”

Athit swallowed a curse. “What’s going on?” he asked mutedly, turned away from the two women.

“I’m positive these are the guys responsible for Tawan’s death. But sir, the thing is, we caught one of their guys yesterday and he implied that they were working with others.”

“So even if I get them, it’s not over.”

“Afraid so sir.”

“Meet me in five minutes.” Athit hung up. “Sasithorn? You two head back first. I want to pick up a few items.”

“Can’t I go with?” Ratree popped her head slightly out the window of the car.

He shook his head. “You have to rest. Go on.”

Sasithorn nodded. “See you later.”

Athit’s right hand man was walking his way; a lean man, tanned face and stern eyes. “Sir.”

“There’s one to the left,” Athit murmured. He had immediately noticed that he was being watched.

“What do you want me to do?”

“Ignore him.” But the stranger had other plans. Athit watched from the corner of his eyes as the dark-clothed man cross the street. The crowded sidewalk cleared for the shortest second. Athit fisted his hands. “…the hell…”

“Was he pushing a…?” Wattana questioned, but instantly followed as his boss took off towards the suspicious man. “He’s gone. He…he had a stroller?”

A baby stroller. “Fcuk!” Athit turned and ran.

The door of the apartment slammed open.

“Athit?” Sasithorn asked.

“Where’s Ratree?”

“She’s in her bedroom,” she motioned. Athit crossed through the hall to confirm this. He saw Ratree’s reclining figure on her bed and carefully closed the door. Then he went to the window and pushed the curtains open.

“What is going on?” Sasithorn demanded at his weird behavior.

“Was anyone here?”

“No, no one was here.”

Heart still racing, he took a deep breath.

“Athit—“

“Sasi, do you think you could live here?”

“I…what?” she asked, taken aback. “Me?”

“I’ll understand if you can’t but my shifts at work are getting busier. It’d be great if you could stay to accompany Ratree while I’m gone,” he added, “so she doesn’t get bored.”

She paused for a moment. “Yeah. That would be fine.”

“Good. Thank you.” He took a seat on the couch, leaning forward in thought, hands clasped. She frowned.

“Is something the matter?”

“No,” he replied. Then he got up and took hold of her hand. Sasithorn blinked in surprise. “I have a friend in town I need to see. Thanks again. I really appreciate it.” He let go and left her to compose herself.

He returned late that evening, both frustrated and impatient. He had to catch the guys who had caused Tawan’s death. These things were not expected to be forgotten, especially in Athit’s world. But they knew he had a weakness now. They knew about Ratree and about Tawan’s child.

------

While Athit was clearing up their dishes, Sasithorn confided in Ratree. “Ratree, something strange happened yesterday.”

“What?”

“Well, Athit rushed back here, and he looked kind of panicked. Like…like he thought someone had broken in here.”

Ratree glanced back to the kitchen. “Strange. I’ll talk to him later.”

“Me?” Athit asked, appeared in their midst, having heard his name. “Ask me what?”

The ladies exchanged glances. “I’ll go out to quickly get some water,” Sasithorn said.

Athit stretched his arms and fell back upon the comforter. “How are you feeling?”

“Good. Um, Athit? Sasi mentioned that you were acting strange yesterday. Maybe not strange, but worried about something?”

He took a moment to reply. “Yeah, just a few things on my mind.”

“Does it have to do with Tawan?”

He sighed. “Ratree. I don’t want you to worry about it.”

She frowned. “But you’re doing something dangerous aren’t you?”

“Don’t worry. I promise not to put you in danger.”

“I’m not worried about me,” she insisted. “I don’t want YOU to do something dangerous when it’s not necessary.”

“You don’t understand—“

“I probably don’t. But,” She went over and sat down in front of him, her large eyes imploring him to listen to her. “I don’t want anything to happen to you.”

“I can take care of myself.” It was her that he had to keep safe. He inwardly cursed himself for not being more cautious. What if his group was also aware he was back in Thailand? He paused before continuing. “But I want to take extra precautions. I think we should move.”

“Wait, move?”

“Yes. I want you to move into my house. It’ll be better for you and—“

“And allow you to go out and take care of your matters?” she inquired sharply. “I don’t like it.”

“Ratree, be reasonable,” he turned toward her with earnest. “I need for you to be safe.”

“But why can’t you just stop what you’re doing?”

“I’m not doing anything!”

“Don’t lie! You’re trying to avenge Tawan, I know you are.”

He looked away in frustration. Her words told him she was plenty aware of what he was doing, but he knew that SHE knew it wasn’t an easy matter to let go of either. She had always known what sort of business Tawan was in, so why did she have to start interfering? Didn’t she understand the code Athit was bound by, to avenge his brother?

“Athit, don’t do this. He wouldn’t have wanted you to.”

“How do you know?” he demanded, “The man I remember Tawan to be would have tracked those bastards down and spilled their blood.”

Her wide eyes froze, before setting her jaw in denial of his words. He sighed at her unyielding attitude. “I mean…Look, moving isn’t a big deal, alright? And it won’t be permanent.”

“How can you be sure?” she asked gently, staring into the hearth before her. “How do you know we won’t have to do something drastic again in the future? I don’t want to be a renegade. I don’t want my freedom taken away.”

“I’m sorry.”

“Then don’t go after them.” The look he gave her said that wasn’t something he could compromise. “I’m going to clear the rest of the dishes.”

Athit buried his face in his hands. She understood what was going on--that was danger in itself. So why wouldn’t she agree?

“Athit?” Sasithorn had quietly slipped back in. “Is something wrong?”

“We were just discussing something.”

“Did you argue?”

“No, it’s just—“ They both looked up at the sound of a crash before rushing to the kitchen.

A plate lay in pieces on the floor, but that did not trouble them as much as Ratree who was gripping the counter, doubled in pain.

“Are you ok?” Sasithorn got to her first. They helped her to a chair. “I’m calling an ambulance.”

-----

Updates will be sporadic, since school is coming up once more. Oi.
jjinxx

tippytoes

sarNie Adult
Thanks jjinxx, love this ff of yours! I like how it's so detailed that you managed to cover every area of the story and esp how you made it so relaxing to read it at the start though I sense some drama coming soon. Looking forward to the next chapter, and im so very curious about athit's work profession!! ^^

jjinxx

Chapter 12

“I really have to stay here?”

“Ratree, please don’t argue. You’re staying.” The doctor had relayed his grave concerns to them and there was no questioning this time that she needed more than Plerng’s help. “It’s serious this time,” Sasithorn gently said.

“I guess it can’t be helped.” Ratree hesitated. “Sasi,” her sister leaned close, “Lately, I have been feeling tired.” Her face fell with anxiety; it was taking a lot of her courage to admit this. “Do you think he’ll be okay, my baby? Sasi, what if there’s something really wrong?”

“No, no, we shouldn’t get worked up,” Sasithorn soothed her. “Wait for the doctor’s orders.”

“Why is she so stubborn?” Of course, Ratree could not oppose this time, but she was not happy at all about being cooped in the hospital.
Sasithorn sighed. “It’s our mom.” Athit looked up. “When she was giving birth to Ratree, there were a lot of complications. Our mom had to spend a long time in the hospital afterwards and there wasn’t much the doctors could do except wait and hope for luck. I think Ratree just doesn’t have faith in a place like this. And she must be scared of what might happen to her and the baby if they end up staying too long.”

Athit’s brow furrowed. It couldn’t happen to Ratree. She was too strong, too alive to put up with any weakness. And the doctors here were best, there was no reason for them to be overly concerned.

They went back into the hospital room. “Hey,” he sat beside the bed, “How are you doing?”

Ratree smiled at him. “I’m just restless.” But he could see on her face that she was worn-out. It spurred him even more to make sure she was moved from harm’s way, even if it was against her will.

“Are you hungry?”

“No. I want to go visit Tawan.”

“I think you should wait until you’re stronger before we visit again. There will be plenty of time for that, but I don’t want you getting hurt,” he said to Ratree, who frowned and reluctantly nodded.

“Sasi is going to work now, so you’ll stay with me right?” she asked.

“Yeah.” Athit had a suspicion he knew what Ratree was trying to do. For the past three days, she had done her best to keep him in her sight at the hospital. If she needed anything, she pleaded with Sasithorn to get it, and wanting to do whatever kept Ratree happy along with assuming that they wanted alone time, Sasithorn did not object. But it was really because Ratree didn’t want Athit going out and meeting with those people again.

Her knowledge of his plan for vengeance was more than he wanted her to know. The longer he stayed with her, the more time he was giving the other side to plan an attack. Athit did not like the situation at all, even with Wattana on guard, whom he trusted most.

He sighed.

“Hey.” Sasithorn joined him on a seat in the waiting area, where he had gone to get a drink. “Tired?”

“I’m ok. You?”

She gave a half-smile. Allowing a moment for them to settle into their shared space, Sasithorn looked around at the hospital. Nurses and staff walked with their fast and deliberate steps; patients roamed to stretch their muscles. She pushed away the memories of her mother coming here years ago and turned to Athit.

“I have a question. I can’t help noticing that Ratree has become rather…dependent on you lately.” Before, Ratree had been outright independent, exasperated by Athit’s obsessive care-taking. But things were suddenly different now. She side-glanced him. “Now, I don’t mean to pry, and I absolutely understand if this is none of my business but…are you…involved in illegal activities?”

“How do you figure that?” Athit was not in the least alarmed hearing her question.

“Just a guess. I asked Ratree before and she didn’t seem to want me to know, but now I get the feeling she’s not too happy about it--if it’s true, I mean,” she added hastily. “But whatever you do is really your own business.”

He smiled wanly. This was not the same uptight and bossy woman he had first come into contact with. “I don’t suppose there’s any harm in telling you. Yes, I am somewhat involved in…those types of dealings.” He expected something a bit like her to revert back to her old attitude of disgust. But Sasithorn merely took in a breath of air.

“It…it’s not my problem I guess. But I just hope whatever you do isn’t going to upset Ratree.”

Too late, he thought. “I’ll protect her. Even though I have illegal dealings, there has never been anything more important to me than keeping her safe, I assure you.”

She raised her shoulders. “There are people out there who do normal things who are far worse than you. I’ve come to trust you with my sister.”

“Thanks for that, Sassy.”

She tossed him a sharp look. “I’m going to check up her.” She had just gotten up when a code blue siren squealed above them. Athit’s stomach lurched, instinct pulling him to his feet. Without a word, they both got to the elevators and went up.

The hall that Ratree’s room was in was crowded and filled with loud voices.

“What’s going on?” Athit asked, but Sasithorn rushed forward, only to be held back by nurses.

“Miss, please get out of the way.”

“Where’s my sister?”

A doctor pushed past her and was swallowed in the hall.

“What’s happening?!”

“She’s started labor,” a nurse informed them, but when Sasithorn tried to move towards the room, she was blocked. “Please miss, this is very serious. You must stay out of the way so the doctor can correct—“

“What? Correct what?” Athit demanded.

“Her  blood pressure is dropping…”

Hours later and Athit and Sasithorn were still waiting in the hall as Ratree labored without progress. There were regular reports from the nurses. No change. The doctor is trying to turn the baby. The mother is too weak to push. We’ve had to give her more injections. Progress is not coming along well. The doctor is worried for the mother. The mother is losing blood. We might perform a cesarean…The mother might not…

Athit stopped pacing long enough to notice Sasithorn’s shaking hands and wild expression. He forced himself to sit beside her; he clasped her hand in his and clenched her fingers between his so hard her bones might crush, but she welcomed the gripping contact.

There was a cry from a voice raw with the new force of life, making them both look up in awe. But just before they can begin to hope, to breathe with relief, the doors fly open, and a body is being wheeled towards them, now it is past them and neither Athit or Sasithorn can catch anyone to question them; they simply follow.

A nurse finally walked towards them, faced pinched with a severe expression of someone who bears bad news. “Are you the family?”

“Yes,” they both answered.

“The patient is under critical condition. We’re doing everything we can.”

But, Sasithorn thought, this is where she says but they cannot do anything more. And she hated herself for anticipating the worse.

Athit was saying, “I don’t care how much time or money it takes, just help her! Help her get better.”

“We’re trying,” the nurse’s voice was calm and soothing, but Sasithorn could see her eyes were frowning, trying not to betray pity for them.

And then they were joined by the surgeon. He didn’t bother to sugar-coat the situation, which is good, because Sasithorn never liked sweet things.

He is saying how there is little hope left and that they should be prepared.

Who can ever be prepared for this? But she squeezed Athit’s hand as they enter the strange room, a place that Ratree would never want to be in, would be bored of within five minutes. It’s foreign and boded ill, and Sasithorn wanted to run, but she couldn’t abandon her sister.

“Ratree,” Athit’s voice shook for the first time in a long time. He thought he’d never feel like this again, this panic and rage and grief, after losing Tawan.

Her eyes flutter open. “My…my son?”

“He’s healthy. He’s strong,” Athit swallowed hard, slipping Ratree’s limp hand in his, compelling Sasithorn to take the other hand.

She smiled at them. “I know you’ll take care of him. Tell him…I love him,” her strength seemed to give way, with just a barely audible whisper, “Tawan.”

Sasithorn had her hand pressed against her mouth to stifle her sobs, but she couldn’t hide her tears even if she tried. Athit couldn’t bear to look at her. He felt like he was going to be sick—and that was saying something, considering he was not someone weak of heart. He had witnessed death before, had taken lives himself. But this was unbearable. When a whimper of grief escaped Sasithorn, he felt his body shake with the horror of what had happened.

Ratree was really dead.

Everything was his fault. He should have…well, there were many things he should have done. But what did it matter now when her body was lying cold in that room, the light extinguished from her eyes, her lips without a trace of that smile that so easily warmed him? He couldn’t even console himself with the thought that at least she was with Tawan again. It had been his job to protect her.

Sasithorn startled, looking up when she heard him yell. Athit had swung his fist at the wall. The plaster gave way, his hand buried in the wall. She moved forward to him, helped guide his hand out and gingerly cupped it in her own, her mind suddenly blank as to how to heal his bloody knuckles. She just knew that it was a part of his grieving. The pain needed to be relieved someway.

Her eyes were dry when she stood beside her sister’s still body once more. Now was not the time to cry. All she could hear was Ratree’s voice, I know you’ll take care of him.

She turned to look at Athit beside her. His head was lowered, eyes dull and lifeless. “Athit.” He blinked. “We should go see Tawan.”

The name seemed to jolt him to life. “Tawan…”

“Let’s go.” She placed her hand on his wrist and pressed softly.

Usually, the babies were placed in the same room as their mothers—that’s how Ratree would have wanted it, wouldn’t have had it any other way. But because of the way things were, baby Tawan was located in the nursery along with babies who weren’t strong enough. He was an early baby too, but he hadn’t needed any machines to get along.

The nurse allowed them to hold him. Sasithorn cradled the baby in her arms, intensely aware of his light weight, his warmth, his skin that was so soft and translucent, even though it was the same light caramel shade as Ratree’s. The black fuzz of hair that lined his head, his little upturned nose, and below that, the small mouth with its beautiful curve. His eyes were half closed in sleep. She couldn’t recall having ever seen anything so precious before. When she had visually feasted her share, she looked up at Athit and recognized on his face all of her own feelings for the tiny life in her arms.

“Here.”

His breath caught, as if holding the fragile baby was sacred, something he didn’t think himself worthy of. But slowly, she eased the baby into his arms, taking care to make sure Tawan was well supported. And when Sasithorn raised her eyes to Athit again, she saw him swallow hard, love etched intensely on his features.

“Are you okay, Athit?”

He sniffled, and nodded, voice cracking, “Yeah. You?”

“Fine.”

They both knew it was an incomplete truth.

------

Ratree’s ashes were placed in a particularly splendid part of the temple, with Athit making specific instructions for her resting place.
A marble tablet marked her name. Sasithorn felt like there was just a hollowness inside her and she felt like she was being punished for being stubborn and inflexible, forcing the rift of two plus years between her and Ratree. And then when things were starting to get better, she loses it all again.

------
@MrsChum and tippytoes, thank you for reading and commenting!

jjinxx

tippytoes

sarNie Adult
Thanks jjinxx for this great update, you got me in tears.. *sob sob* Why'd ratree had to die... T-T Poor tawan, losing both his parents since birth... But I know athit and sasithorn will do a fantastic job in raising him up to be a fine man, though I can already imagine them both stubborn people bickering along the process hehe!

keylargo

sarNie Oldmaid
thanks jjinxx 4 this wonderful well-written ff, i love it ! so heartrending wif ratrees passing, was in tears ! she loved both her tawan so much ! athit n sasi will b excellent in bringing up tawan ! love this ff jjinxx, thank u n wif appreciation !

MrsChum

sarNie Adult
This chapter is so sad, reading this chapter hit home for me. I can't help but to think of the time when I went through the same situation. Thank you na, you always write so well. I admire your writing talent and creativity with your story. I love all of your FF, some I even went back to read it twice.

jjinxx

Chapter 13

They’d somehow come to an agreement that they would continue living at Ratree’s apartment. In the next few days as they tried to carry on a normal life, constantly clouded with the distinct absence of some vital part of them, Sasithorn and Athit grew into a routine. Once Tawan came home, they took turns caring for the baby. She would go to work while Athit watched over Tawan, and when she was back, they would both focus all on him. He didn’t cry more than the usual newborn did, but still, both shared a number of sleepless nights as he woke in hunger, or wanting to be changed, or simply to be held in their attentive embraces. Athit and Sasithorn, though tired, didn’t ever feel like each bottle fed and each minute of Tawan’s waking breath was enough; they both acutely felt their duty to Ratree, and they both loved Tawan unconditionally.

Plerng made regular visits as well in order to assist and keep the other two from dropping dead. They were grateful for his help, because he was also the one most knowledge about medicine and health concerning Tawan.

About a month after Tawan’s birth, Athit was out buying groceries when he saw Wattana. He slipped over to the curb where Wattana was standing and without looking at each other, Athit asked, “What news?”

“Your grandfather knows you’re back.”

“He must have known for a while now.”

“Yes sir. But now he wants you to go see him.”

Well, it was about time, Athit thought. “Let him know I’ll meet with him tomorrow.”

------
“You’re back.”

“Yes sir.” Athit bowed respectfully to his grandfather, an aging but no less lively man who got up from his cushioned sofa and hugged Athit. Athit wasn’t actually the man’s blood relative, but he was the person most favored by the old man, and so was given the privilege of calling him grandfather.

Chanchai looked at him. “You should have notified me at once son. I admit I was surprised you allowed me to hear of your return through word of mouth.”

“I apologize, grandfather. I did not intend to hide my presence from you. I merely had business to tend to.”

“No matter. I am just glad you finally returned. Our clan needs your leadership. I’m sure you realize I am not growing any younger. Come. Dinner.”

Athit was glad grandfather did not pursue the subject of him taking over as the rest of the evening proceeded. Whenever the topic was broached, Athit tried to protest the leadership being passed on to him, though his words were always in vain.

“You received news of your brother’s death I presume? It is an unfortunate event to lose someone like that.”

“Grandfather, I hope you might be willing to answer me when I ask why his death was kept from me for so long.” He kept his tone even, giving no suggestion whatsoever of his feelings, except for regret.

“I assure you that I meant to inform you as soon as the time was right. But I will have you understand that I myself was devastated by the news. Not only did I wish to shield you briefly from the pain,” he closed his eyes, as if repenting his good intentions, before flashing them open with fierce bloodlust, “but I also meant to avenge your brother. I regret to say that I still have yet to succeed. You will forgive me?”

“Of course, grandfather.” Athit knew that Chanchai would not have sat still while one of his own clan was murdered, even though he still wished Chanchai had notified him immediately about what had happened.

When dinner was finished, his grandfather led him to the living quarters of the building. However, Athit stopped him.

“I have a favor to ask. I’d like to resume living at the town house you bestowed on me. I hope you don’t mind.”

Grandfather smiled cooly. “It was moved into your name so you put it into use however you wish. Tell me, will you be returning regularly?”

“I shall come at your call.”

“You do not hope to make yourself a recluse?” Grandfather’s eyes were shrewd in observing him. Athit had a habit of retreating into solitude when he wasn’t doing a job.

“Would I ever disappoint you?”

“No. Go on then. Rest well.”

------
Returning to the apartment, Athit went over to water the tulips that were growing steadily on the window still. They hadn’t colored yet. Athit hoped that they would grow to be just as beautiful as the ones Ratree grew, and he would be able to send some to her in the future. Finishing up, he went down the hall and entered the bathroom.

“AAAAAAAAAUGH!”

Athit quickly stumbled back out of the bathroom. “I-I’m sorry! I didn’t know you were in there!”

Sasithorn stormed out, wrapped in a robe, with her face red on fire. “How could you not know I was using the bathroom?”

He replied, “Well it was quiet in there, and the door was ajar.”

“I left it open a little in case Tawan cried and I didn’t hear.” She frowned and hurried away to the bedroom. Freaking Athit! Stupid, stupid, stupid! She was so embarrassed! Luckily, Tawan hadn’t stirred even at the loud scream from earlier.

When they sat down to dinner later that evening, Sasithorn went about her business setting the table while avoiding looking at or talking to Athit. He followed her lead, not wanting her to feel uncomfortable, so he was surprised when she spoke up.

“Someone called on you today.”

“Who?”

“I don’t know. They didn’t leave a name. They just said, ‘If one sun sets, another one can too,’ and then left. Isn’t that weird?” Sasithorn chanced a glance up at him. He had frozen in his seat, spoon and food forgotten. “Athit? Athit?”

Breaking out of his reverie, Athit cleared his throat and appeared unbothered, “It was probably a prankster.”

“If it was a prankster, why would he specifically ask to see you?”

He shrugged. “Well since they didn’t leave any name, we can just forget about it.”

A few minutes after, Sasithorn said, “Hey. You don’t have to hide it from me. I already said before that if you’re involved in illegal matters, then that’s your business.”

“Then why are you bringing it up?”

“Because that man seemed malicious. If you’re in some kind of trouble, even if it involves something like this, you’re not alone anymore. You have a son to look after.”

“Don’t worry. I know that more than anyone. Let’s just drop it for now.”

Sasithorn bit back a protest, but agreed.

When Athit came in and picked up Tawan, she said, “I was going to put him to sleep,” Sasithorn held her arms open for Tawan, but Athit shook his head.

“It’s fine, I’ve got him. You should get some rest.”

“Come on, give him here,” she insisted.

“I said, it’s fine.”

She made a face and marched out of the room. Athit was taken aback by her sour mood.

An hour later, he went out to the living room where she was sitting, finishing some work, and sat beside her.

“Are you still mad about what happened earlier?”

“What?”

“When I saw you na—“

“STOP!” she ordered, her face reddening instantly, “That’s enough. Don’t mention it again.”

Athit swallowed back a laugh, seeing her flaming face and stubborn pout. “…”

She swiveled to eye him sternly, “What did you say?”

“I said you’re cute.”

“Hey!” she turned to him, “You can’t say things like that.”

“Why not?”

“Because…because I’m your sister-in-law.”

Oh, that’s right. He tried not to chuckle. “Sorry…”

She turned back to her work and tried to ignore him for the rest of the evening. It wasn’t that she was a blushing maiden or anything of the sort; if anyone else had seen her like that she would be embarrassed too. But for some reason, having it be Athit was even worse.
------

Sasithorn came back from work the next day and heard Tawan’s howling cry. “What’s wrong with him?” she went over to coo at the baby.

“I’m not sure,” Athit rocked Tawan. “I checked his temperature and fed him and changed him. There doesn’t seem to be anything wrong with him.”

“You’re just not good at taking care of him,” she said, though they both knew it wasn’t true. Usually whenever he held Tawan, he quieted easily, but tonight it’s strange. “Give him here.”

She took Tawan into her arms, but he shrieks even louder, making both wince. “Oooh, sweetie don’t cry,” she yielded and gave him back to Athit. “Maybe he’s still hungry.”

“Wait,” Athit said. He noticed that when Tawan was back in his arms, he cried again, but while Sasithorn was passing him to Athit, Tawan stopped crying momentarily. “Come back here.”

“What?” She reached out, but Athit didn’t hand Tawan over completely. Her eyes widened in surprise when Tawan’s cries shrunk down to sniffles now that both their arms were under him.

Athit shook his head, “So picky tonight. He wants both of us with him.”

“So we have to stand here like this until he falls asleep?” she questioned.

“I guess so, unless you want the landlord to evict us for all the noise.”

She raised her eyes to scowl at him, just as he leaned down to kiss Tawan, so that their faces brushed one another. Athit leaned back a little to give her space, while she quickly dropped her eyes to not have to look at him. With her eyes downcast, Athit was given the opportunity to subtly observe her long lashes that hid her eyes. He watched her press her lips softly to Tawan’s forehead, and Athit found himself wondering how those lips, softer than the words that she usually spoke with, would feel. Then he reminded himself that, ironically, she was his so-called ‘sister-in-law.’

“Are you tired of standing?”

She shifted, “A little.”

“Let’s see how he’s doing,” Athit lifted Tawan away from Sasithorn.

Right away, he began to fuss and very soon cried again.

“Okay, okay, auntie’s right here.”

“How’s this? Let’s at least sit down.” They worked together to get over to the bed, with Athit climbing on first. “Are you comfortable?”

She nodded, leaning her side on the headboard.

Athit said, “It doesn’t look like you have any space to hold Tawan.”

“But if I let go, he’ll cry.”

“How about this, I’ll hold him, and you sit close to us, so your arms won’t be tired just being held up.” He shifted in order to lean back against the headboard. Sasithorn hesitated before scooting close to his side. He noticed how she kept her face turned away.

“Heh, it’s not like Tawan pooped, why is your face so far away?”

She scowled at him and turned her attention to the child. “Go to sleep, go to sleep,” she sang. Then she glanced up at the arch way he was watching her.
“Sorry, I don’t have a very good voice. Hmph, it’s not like you’re any better.”

“You’re picking a fight again,” he scoffed, “I haven’t even said a single word.”

“Your eyes say it all.”

“Really? You were looking that deeply into my eyes?” he challenged and blinked his eyes widely at her, bringing his face close to hers, “And what do my eyes say now?”

Not yielding, Sasithorn stared at his eyes. The longer she looked, the gentler his eyes grew , reflected with playfulness, making her grow self-conscious until she finally looked away. “Nothing. Your eyes don’t say anything.”

He breathed a laugh.

“You don’t think anything’s wrong with Tawan, do you?”

“He seems fine as long as we’re holding him, so there shouldn’t be anything to do with his health.”

“Still, I think I’ll give Plerng a call tomorrow.” She looked off thoughtfully. “You know, the first time I met Plerng, I didn’t think I’d ever accept him being Ratree’s midwife.”

“You weren’t any more reluctant than I was,” Athit admitted.

“I hope nothing’s wrong with you sweetie,” she crooned quietly at Tawan, who smiled sleepily at her.

“Maybe…”

“Hm?”

“Nevermnd.” Athit was just thinking that maybe Tawan craved their touch because somehow, his spirit knew that his true parents weren’t there.

The hour went by and he realized that Sasithorn had ceased making little noises at Tawan. Tawan had fallen asleep, and she had dozed off too, her head lolling upon his shoulder, with her arm resting over his arm.

Her sleeping face seemed to reveal so much of her gentleness, along with the stubborn shape of her brow that reminded him of Ratree. Slowly, he detached from her, sliding off the bed so he could go lay Tawan in his crib. Then he returned to the bed, pulled back the covers, and laid Sasithorn on the bed. Just as he was leaning down to cover her with the blanket, her eyes blinked open. Upon seeing him at her side, she raised herself on her elbows.

“What are you doing? Um, where’s Tawan?”

“He’s in his crib. I was just…helping tuck you in.”

She ducked her head, embarrassed, “You don’t have to. I can do it myself.”

“You can do it yourself, except it’s already done,” he smiled. “I’ll get ready for bed. Good night.”

“Good night.”

He turned off the light and closed the door. She turned on her side and drifted back to sleep, sensing Athit’s eyes once more, but in a way that made her feel safe.

------

Sasithorn pressed the tips of her fingers to her temple, blinking hard. She’d just got back from work, and was preparing dinner, and mixing a bottle for Tawan.

“Here, I’ll finish this,” Athit assured her, seeing how tired she was, “You can feed Tawan.”

She gratefully accepted, and went to settle comfortably on the couch, feeding her nephew and then cuddling with him until he fell asleep. “Why are you getting so big already…” she lovingly kissed him.

Athit finished setting the table, and he paused to give himself a pat on the back for his handiwork.

“Sasi…” appearing in the living room, he realized she had fallen asleep, lying on the couch with Tawan on the inside so he wouldn’t fall. Athit gently shook her awake. She turned to look up at him sleepily, before sitting up. He carried Tawan down the hall and set him in the crib. When he returned, he breathed a laugh, seeing her dozing off on the couch again. “Hey, let’s go eat.”

She mumbled, “I’m tired.”

“Well get up and eat, then you won’t be tired. Go,” he tugged at her arm.

She refused, “I’ll eat later.”

“No, you’ll just fall asleep.” She told him earlier that work had been so busy she had to skip lunch. “Go eat now, and then go to bed.”

“So tired…”

“Do you want me to bring it here to feed you?” he asked.

“Stupid…” she said, keeping her eyes closed.

He laughed. “Or…if you don’t like that, then would you prefer me helping you another way? How about I…feed it to you mouth to mouth?”

Sasithorn was about to mumble something, but the meaning of his words cleared up her groggy mind and she shot up in her seat. “What?!”

“Great, you’re up! Now let’s go eat!” He dragged her to the kitchen.

She groaned out loud.

“Stop whining and eat,” he ordered, heaping her plate with pasta as she rubbed sleep from her eyes. “Hm? What are you waiting for? Or did you really want me to feed you?”

She cried out, “No! Sheesh, you and your stupid joke…” She finally picked up her spoon and began eating, much to his satisfaction.

Athit snickered to himself, seeing her slurp her spaghetti so that it flicked some tomato sauce on her nose and mouth. “You got food all over yourself?”

She tried licking the sauce off the corner of her mouth.

“And your nose,” he used the tip of his thumb to rub off the sauce from her nose.

“Ratree used to eat messy like this too.” Sasithorn’s smile faltered. The memory was fond but also cut with an edge.

“There was one day she craved curry and vanilla cake,” Athit laughed, “She ate so fast that her face got red and white from the cake icing.” He had helped wipe her face with a napkin. Athit suddenly felt the injustice of the incident, of having the opportunity to enjoy Ratree’s presence when Tawan didn’t get that chance.

Sasithorn nodded. “She always loved dessert most. I could never understand how she stayed so thin.”

“Hm,” was his amused response, “You’re worried about getting fat? I think,” he leaned back and cocked his head, eying her up and down, making her frown curiously at him, “you don’t have to worry about gaining weight. Although, your hips are a little voluptuous…” Sasithorn’s eyes grew wide at his scrutiny, but he went on, “…but some people like curvy women…”

“Hey—“

“And you could use a little more…push-up, you know?” he suggested.

She glanced down at her front. “Athit--!”

“Hey!” Athit laughed, slowly pushing the fork that she was pointing at him away from him. “I was kidding!”

“Hmph,” she looked away grudgingly. “I’m not eating anymore.”

“Oh come on, I didn’t mean it. Okay? Okay pretty lady? You’re not too voluptuous, you’re the perfect shape, how’s that? And your breasts—“

“Enough,” she ordered. He bit back a smile and focused on his dinner.

When they were finished, he said, “First you didn’t want to eat, now you finished so much,” he pointed out.

“It was good, so of course I’ll eat it,” she replied.

“Thanks for the compliment.”

She hadn’t even intended to compliment him, but she realized he was good at cooking. As she watched him clear up the table and clean the kitchen, she felt a smile grow on her face. But when she heard him ask, “What are you dreaming about?” she snapped herself awake.

“Nothing.” She got up. “I’m going to bed. And, uh, thanks for dinner tonight.” Her attempt to smoothly exit was marred by carelessly tripping over the leg of her chair. Catching herself as she stumbled, she turned to see Athit giving her a quirked look, before hurrying away.

When she was safely inside the bedroom, she took a peek at Tawan to make sure he was sleeping peacefully, then prepared herself for bed. She sighed, snuggling deep in the mattress, thoughts filled with Athit and the way he peeved her so easily; Ratree and the last time Sasithorn saw her smile; and the random memory of once giving Ratree a piggy-back ride on their way back from school.
------

Thank you for reading!
jjinxx

keylargo

sarNie Oldmaid
hi jjinxx hope ure v well ! thanks 4 this update, its so sweet how athit is slowly making his moves on sasi, v subtly though ! baby tawan sure knows how 2 play cupid drawing all of them esp his uncle n aunt together ! i love this ff n look forward 2 read further but take your time, ill wait patiently ! tyvm jjinxx, wif appreciation ! key O

Vimalee

Live Love Laugh
Just beautiful!

Thank you again, dear jjinxxy for another heart-warming chapter.   Good luck with your school na.  Really appreciated your time and efforts.  

Here's for you :flowers: :flowers: :flowers:

Koy123

sarNie OldFart
Thank you Jjinxx for this wonderful FF! I just finished this and enjoy it very much! I like the twist and sad that Ratree died. Hope you can update soon!

tippytoes

sarNie Adult
Thanks jjinxx for the update, I had fun reading it! ^^ Love how athit constantly tease sasithorn and also love baby tawan for bringing them closer! So looking forward to your next chapter hehe :)